shape
carat
color
clarity

99.2% of recent US Covid deaths were unvaccinated people

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in the UK, all our major restrictions are supposed to be lifted on the 19th July, this includes mandatory mask wearing. DH and I have had both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine, but we fully intend to keep wearing our masks everywhere we feel it necessary. We have no intention of going back to the cinema or theatres, so basically, we will only be mixing with our friends of the same age, who’ve also been vaccinated. We won’t be going to restaurants and eating inside once the reduced capacity seating has been lifted.

Daily infection numbers are up, and will (we believe) continue to rise after the 19th because lots of people will stop wearing masks. At the moment, it doesn’t look like hospitalisations and death rates are anywhere near the rate they were earlier in the year, when far fewer people were vaccinated. Our vaccination roll out has been based on vulnerability, so it started with anyone over 85 and has been working backwards through the age groups. In certain areas there are walk in centres, rather than appt based. I’m assuming the thinking is that now the most ‘vulnerable’ are vaccinated, those who will contract the virus are likely to be younger people, for whom Covid is not necessarily too serious. This of course, doesn’t stop them from spreading the virus, or from those of us vaccinated, catching Covid. The aim here has always been to stop the NHS from getting totally overwhelmed by cases and unable to cope.

There was a big uptake by younger people initially, but that’s slowed down. The other factor that may encourage more young people to get vaccinated is that if they wish to travel, either they’ll need to be vaccinated to enter certain countries, or if they’re not double jabbed, they’ll still need to quarantine when they get home.

I think there’s a misconception (and I’m only speaking about here in the UK), that if you’re vaccinated, you’re ‘safe’, rather than people understanding that the vaccine will not stop you getting Covid, it will (hopefully) lessen the severity and need for hospitalisation.

Yes, people want to get back to normal (whatever that’ll be), but for the sake of wearing a mask for short intervals of time, we’d rather carry on wearing them. I wear a KN95, and DH has a mask that’s supposed to offer 98% filtration (and hundreds of replacement filters). I used to have to wear a mask at work, so I don’t find it particularly onerous.

I was initially cautious about having the vaccine, but once I’d read up about it, I decided that I would have it as soon as it was my turn, it was completely painless @Daisys and Diamonds (the needle is ultra thin) and the only side effects I had was a slightly sore arm. I don’t have any underlying health issue, so that wasn’t a concern for me.

I suppose only time will tell if the vaccine has had any detrimental affect on me, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm in "The OC" and know plenty of anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, although they believe in regular vaccines. I still wear a mask in public, because I know these people are not vaccinated yet are maskless. There are too many of them for my comfort.
LA County is seeing an uptick in Delta variant cases which tells me people aren't taking precautions. it just completely pisses me off that someone refusing to wear a mask is putting so many other at risk. The R0 may be lower now, but even infecting one person is inexcusable. My DD is in healthcare at a major hospital that had to change the units on every floor to accommodate their huge numbers. I don't think people understood the horrible toll on the healthcare system and workers, or maybe they just don't care.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here in the UK, all our major restrictions are supposed to be lifted on the 19th July, this includes mandatory mask wearing. DH and I have had both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine, but we fully intend to keep wearing our masks everywhere we feel it necessary. We have no intention of going back to the cinema or theatres, so basically, we will only be mixing with our friends of the same age, who’ve also been vaccinated. We won’t be going to restaurants and eating inside once the reduced capacity seating has been lifted.

Daily infection numbers are up, and will (we believe) continue to rise after the 19th because lots of people will stop wearing masks. At the moment, it doesn’t look like hospitalisations and death rates are anywhere near the rate they were earlier in the year, when far fewer people were vaccinated. Our vaccination roll out has been based on vulnerability, so it started with anyone over 85 and has been working backwards through the age groups. In certain areas there are walk in centres, rather than appt based. I’m assuming the thinking is that now the most ‘vulnerable’ are vaccinated, those who will contract the virus are likely to be younger people, for whom Covid is not necessarily too serious. This of course, doesn’t stop them from spreading the virus, or from those of us vaccinated, catching Covid. The aim here has always been to stop the NHS from getting totally overwhelmed by cases and unable to cope.

There was a big uptake by younger people initially, but that’s slowed down. The other factor that may encourage more young people to get vaccinated is that if they wish to travel, either they’ll need to be vaccinated to enter certain countries, or if they’re not double jabbed, they’ll still need to quarantine when they get home.

I think there’s a misconception (and I’m only speaking about here in the UK), that if you’re vaccinated, you’re ‘safe’, rather than people understanding that the vaccine will not stop you getting Covid, it will (hopefully) lessen the severity and need for hospitalisation.

Yes, people want to get back to normal (whatever that’ll be), but for the sake of wearing a mask for short intervals of time, we’d rather carry on wearing them. I wear a KN95, and DH has a mask that’s supposed to offer 98% filtration (and hundreds of replacement filters). I used to have to wear a mask at work, so I don’t find it particularly onerous.

I was initially cautious about having the vaccine, but once I’d read up about it, I decided that I would have it as soon as it was my turn, it was completely painless @Daisys and Diamonds (the needle is ultra thin) and the only side effects I had was a slightly sore arm. I don’t have any underlying health issue, so that wasn’t a concern for me.

I suppose only time will tell if the vaccine has had any detrimental affect on me, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

Im.so glad you are going to continue to be extra cautious @Austina
We will not be following the UK's example
you have done such a good job so far vaccinating your people i feel sad if you end up with even more deaths (especially after all this soccer that's going on)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally pass on any vaccine (or long term medications) unless I feel it can't be avoided. So when they announced the vaccines using technology not widely used before, I was terrified and decided I would wait. Like some, I was able to pretty much self-isolate during the pandemic - relying on home deliveries, remote work etc. and never really felt at risk.

Oddly enough, I ended up getting the vaccine the 2nd week I become eligible. What changed my mind?
  • I read that the fast-tracking wasn't due to shortcuts in testing but administrative and overlapping processes.
  • I read that historically unexpected reactions to vaccines happen in the first 8 weeks of distribution in the public (it was just past this).
  • I happened across an available appointment for myself when getting one for my husband who was more at risk
  • A deep desire to do things with my mother who just got vaccinated
  • Seeing how the virus was evolving with variants driving home the need to quell this asap - and how vaccinations were the only hope of that happening.
  • Finally - the realization that while we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine, the same could be said for Covid (and there were already indications that there were more long term effects than we realized)
Fate was on my side because two weeks after I got my first vaccine, my mother had a stroke..so I went from the ability to isolate to spending every day in a hospital with her. Admittedly, it was a huge relief to know that I had at least the first dose.

So I understand those who are hesitant in getting the vaccine or have medical conditions that complicate the decision. I know vaccines are not 100% effective so personally still use a mask when physical distancing indoors isn't possible. But also understand that people's need/want to move on now that they are vaccinated. What I have little tolerance for are those who won't take the vaccine -and- won't wear a mask -and- won't do physical distancing in public.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CC, b/c of my heart murmur. I will not risk my life. Is that so hard for you guys to understand? :confused:

I have a heart murmur and no one told me not to get the vaccine. Btw, we are elderly.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece is still quite ill but she's at home. Unfortunately 2 of the children got quite sick :( My mother thankfully tested negative twice. My sister also tested negative. She told me she wish she had listened and gotten vaccinated.

A good friend of ours got covid for the 2nd time and is now in the hospital. He's been in for quite a while and its really day by day for him He is very healthy mid 50's male without any comorbidities except that he had covid before. He opted to not get vaccinated after recovering.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes--me too. Elderly as well. I have Mitral Valve prolapse--actually more important to get the vaccine and I could have used this as a reason to jump to the front of the line.

Me too.
30 years ago I was diagnosed with Recurrent Arrhythmia Atrial Fibrillation.
Since then I've been prescribed Digoxin and an aspirin daily.
Recently my doctor stopped the aspirin and prescribed a blood thinner, Pradaxa.

The risk to my heart condition from getting COVID are more dangerous than the risks from the vaccine.

April Baby, if you don't want to take the vaccine that's your legal right.
But it sounds like you won't take it because you have a heart condition.
Perhaps you should get the vaccine precisely because you have a heart condition.

Factoring in the risks of the vaccine vs. no vaccine ... well ...
I'd let that decision be made by the one with a better medical eduction, you or your doctor.

If your doctor says to get vaccinated, and you still refuse then you can't use the heart condition as an excuse.

If I were you I'd ask my doctor explicitly (preferably via email so your family will have written proof) which they recommend given my heart condition, vaccine or no vaccine.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Dancing Fire - long term implications of covid on kids… that vs vaccines that are trialed, I’ll go for vaccines

My daughters are adults I don't have to make that decision.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I read that article earlier today. Very scary! The virus can't be controlled without increased vaccine rates. I'm also wondering what implications Tennessee's new anti-vax outreach policy will have not just in that state, but throughout the country. Ludicrous and dangerous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Dancing Fire - long term implications of covid on kids… that vs vaccines that are trialed, I’ll go for vaccines

100% agree. My nieces were vaccinated the week it became available to them. They are 13 and 15 and my BIL and sister (both in medical related fields) didn't even blink before getting them their appointments for Pfizer.

In life it is rarely a case of black and white but more often shades of gray. The risk of contracting Covid or a variant and getting very ill or coming down with long term serious side effects is much greater than the risk the vaccine poses. Especially if one has underlying health conditions. IMO.

Not to mention a selfish choice (if one refuses to get vaccinated when they have no good reason not to) when you realize just how many vulnerable individuals (including young children) are depending on adults to get vaccinated. To end this pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us. :/

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
We all got the vaccine, all received Moderna.

My oldest daughter had a horrific allergic reaction to both shots, both ending up in urgent care with swollen throat among other symptoms. She also started having her heart episodes again, almost cluster like. She has SVT, has since she was a junior in high school. The episodes would come maybe once a year. Since her vaccine, she has had half a dozen. One the worst it has ever been. We have been to the ER twice. She will not be getting another vaccine (her choice as a 20 yr old woman).

Both girls periods have drastically changed since the day they got their first shot. Like they were not supposed to start for a week and a half and they started that day. Cycles are longer and more intense than they have ever been.

I was all for the vaccine because my husband had a terrible time with Covid and I would like to never see him like that again, if possible. My best friends dad passed from Covid. BUT... after seeing the side effects first hand, I am honestly not sure if I would get a booster or yearly vaccine again. Please don't skewer me, this is just my opinion based on personal experience.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all got the vaccine, all received Moderna.

My oldest daughter had a horrific allergic reaction to both shots, both ending up in urgent care with swollen throat among other symptoms. She also started having her heart episodes again, almost cluster like. She has SVT, has since she was a junior in high school. The episodes would come maybe once a year. Since her vaccine, she has had half a dozen. One the worst it has ever been. We have been to the ER twice. She will not be getting another vaccine (her choice as a 20 yr old woman).

Both girls periods have drastically changed since the day they got their first shot. Like they were not supposed to start for a week and a half and they started that day. Cycles are longer and more intense than they have ever been.

I was all for the vaccine because my husband had a terrible time with Covid and I would like to never see him like that again, if possible. My best friends dad passed from Covid. BUT... after seeing the side effects first hand, I am honestly not sure if I would get a booster or yearly vaccine again. Please don't skewer me, this is just my opinion based on personal experience.

I'm so sorry your daughters are going through this. Sending positive vibes for healing.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mom2dolls I am sorry to hear of the side effects your girls are experiencing. I have read quite a bit about this happening. For myself, my hot flashes intensified and the occurrences increased and my autoimmune condition has worsened (flaring up) for the first time in a while.
Hoping your daughters’ symptoms lessen and then go away soon and I completely understand why they would hesitate. It’s definitely a conundrum.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mom2dolls I am sorry to hear of the side effects your girls are experiencing. I have read quite a bit about this happening. For myself, my hot flashes intensified and the occurrences increased and my autoimmune condition has worsened (flaring up) for the first time in a while.
Hoping your daughters’ symptoms lessen and then go away soon and I completely understand why they would hesitate. It’s definitely a conundrum.

I hope you feel better @Slick1.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have two vaccinated kids (23 and 21) and two that are not (17 and 16). My first son came down with a fever so high he had a seizure and was hospitalized. Second sons glands in his neck swelled up so severely it compromised his breathing and he had to have endless tests done. He still has a golf ball sized lump under his chin. He is having an immune response to the vaccine. Both reactions occurred after the second vaccine. Only side affects from the first dose were body aches and mild fever for both boys. Both of them were advised no boosters in the future. Once the vaccine is given it can't be discontinued in the same way a medication could be.

My younger two are not vaccinated because of the severity of reactions from the older two. They mask, social distance and do not go out in crowds etc. Both homeschool and take University classes online. Only activities we travel to are horse shows and they are outdoor events. We all practice the same precautions as when Covid was at its highest. My daughter has had several spinal surgeries and cannot afford to deal with the severe reactions possible. Both of their pediatricians advise against vaccination.

A little back story....I am highly allergic to many, many things. More gets added to the list yearly. It causes extreme immune responses, anaphylaxis and even caused a bleed that ended up in hospitalization and blood transfusions. My kids also have allergy issues to a lesser degree, but I started out that way as well. It is advised I do not get vaccinated because of all of that. I am otherwise healthy and I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

I do think that it is a very personal choice and many people that do not get vaccinated do it for a variety of reasons. As long as people take precautions and do not put others at risk it is their choice. Would I like to have us all safe from Covid and keep others safe? ABSOLUTELY. Is it worth the risk? Absolutely NOT. I honestly do not believe anyone truly wants to cause harm to others. There are so many factors. I would never wish to make anyone ill.

I wasn't even going to post on this thread but decided sharing some of our own experience couldn't hurt. Just food for thought.

Editing to add that both older boys were initially advised against the vaccine because of our allergy issues. Both are adults and decided it was worth the risk to potentially keep others safe. They are both very much concerned about others and wanted to do their part. I believe that many feel this and potentially risk their own health in the process.

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two vaccinated kids (23 and 21) and two that are not (17 and 16). My first son came down with a fever so high he had a seizure and was hospitalized. Second sons glands in his neck swelled up so severely it compromised his breathing and he had to have endless tests done. He still has a golf ball sized lump under his chin. He is having an immune response to the vaccine. Both reactions occurred after the second vaccine. Only side affects from the first dose were body aches and mild fever for both boys. Both of them were advised no boosters in the future. Once the vaccine is given it can't be discontinued in the same way a medication could be.

My younger two are not vaccinated because of the severity of reactions from the older two. They mask, social distance and do not go out in crowds etc. Both homeschool and take University classes online. Only activities we travel to are horse shows and they are outdoor events. We all practice the same precautions as when Covid was at its highest. My daughter has had several spinal surgeries and cannot afford to deal with the severe reactions possible. Both of their pediatricians advise against vaccination.

A little back story....I am highly allergic to many, many things. More gets added to the list yearly. It causes extreme immune responses, anaphylaxis and even caused a bleed that ended up in hospitalization and blood transfusions. My kids also have allergy issues to a lesser degree, but I started out that way as well. It is advised I do not get vaccinated because of all of that. I am otherwise healthy and I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

I do think that it is a very personal choice and many people that do not get vaccinated do it for a variety of reasons. As long as people take precautions and do not put others at risk it is their choice. Would I like to have us all safe from Covid and keep others safe? ABSOLUTELY. Is it worth the risk? Absolutely NOT. I honestly do not believe anyone truly wants to cause harm to others. There are so many factors. I would never wish to make anyone ill.

I wasn't even going to post on this thread but decided sharing some of our own experience couldn't hurt. Just food for thought.

Editing to add that both older boys were initially advised against the vaccine because of our allergy issues. Both are adults and decided it was worth the risk to potentially keep others safe. They are both very much concerned about others and wanted to do their part. I believe that many feel this and potentially risk their own health in the process.

I hope your boys recover soon.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She also started having her heart episodes again, almost cluster like. She has SVT, has since she was a junior in high school. The episodes would come maybe once a year. Since her vaccine, she has had half a dozen. One the worst it has ever been. We have been to the ER twice.
Nobody wanna talk about the negative side effects.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nobody wanna talk about the negative side effects.

DF, 4 million people don't want to talk about one of the side effects of getting COVID-19.
Why don't they want to talk?
Dead people don't want anything.

IOW keep all this in perspective.
Unless your licensed doctor told you to not get vaccinated, turning down the vaccine is playing Russian roulette.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those who have no medical reason to refuse vaccination and choose to remain unvaccinated don't care about others. Cases and deaths are spiking, kids are being put on ventilators, no way to tell yet if this will lead to another shut down. Point is, the rest of us just have to accept the above. Absent mandatory national vaccination law or tough penalties for those who don't have a medical reason to remain unvaccinated, nothing will stop the Delta variant or any other variant that comes after and any attempt at mandatory vaccination or penalty will cause the bleaters to bleat their tired old refrains -- my freedumb, my body/my choice (except for abortion where they think it's their choice what happens to others' bodies), this is 'merica you can't make me, MAGA!.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My daughters are adults I don't have to make that decision.

I was referring to your grandchildren but agree their vaccination should be for your daughters to decide

Oh thanks for sharing. I absolutely think it’s important not to brush vaccination side effects aside.

My daughter has had several spinal surgeries and cannot afford to deal with the severe reactions possible. Both of their pediatricians advise against vaccination.

That’s why many more should be vaccinated if they can. It’s to protect people like you and your family who cannot and are at higher risk should you be infected.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was referring to your grandchildren but agree their vaccination should be for your daughters to decide

My grandkids aren't at vaccination age yet.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IOW keep all this in perspective.
Unless your licensed doctor told you to not get vaccinated, turning down the vaccine is playing Russian roulette.
Kenny, you wanna play Russian roulette with other people's lives. Vaccination is not for every people on the planet. However, I'd agree the elderly should be vaccinated !

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those who have no medical reason to refuse vaccination and choose to remain unvaccinated don't care about others. Cases and deaths are spiking, kids are being put on ventilators, no way to tell yet if this will lead to another shut down.
This chart does not agree with you.

1626328224196.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, The best vaccine on earth! :clap:

Try this with polio. Or smallpox. Or meningitis.

**edited by moderator, no name calling please**
It's like when a random co-worker blurts out some stupid racist crap and you slowly rewind in your head all the interactions you've had with them over the years to make sure that you have never actually taken their advice on anything important...

People who have no idea what the FDA is or does "waiting for FDA approval" for their vaccine. Like waiting for the Fire Captain to show up before leaving a burning building. The safety standard for vaccines is incredibly high -- and this is not the same standard that is applied when hundreds of thousands are dying from a new plague. Did I miss something? Did the CDC and FDA discourage vaccination at some point? Any of you government-hating geniuses who suddenly hang on the FDA's every word get that FDA email saying whatever you do, DO NOT GET VACCINATED? Why do you (wrongly) infer that the FDA does not want you to get the vaccine? Can you point me to that official recommendation? You'll ingest/huff/snort/shoot up whatever poison the MyPillow lunatic hawks but you need a one-year-horizon FDA approval pipeline for a vaccine in the middle of a pandemic?

Sad and tragic that knowledge, expertise, and science belong to only half the country now -- and for the foreseeable future. "Nobody knows nothing!" Actually you know nothing; lots of people know lots of stuff.

I guess it could be worse; we could all live in TN where encouraging any vaccine will soon be illegal (?). This is the progress that illiterate, impoverished, unhealthy TN needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try this with polio. Or smallpox. Or meningitis.
These vaccines had been around for many yrs unlike Covid vaccines with no history.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all my deepest sympathies to those who have experienced horrible side effects from the vaccine. I think we all agree that those who know of contraindications they have against getting vaccinated should not get vaccinated and if one has experienced these kind of side effects with the first dose they should not get a second or a booster. No one here (that I know of) is arguing that point in the slightest.

@mom2dolls I am sorry about the side effects your girls experienced/experiencing and hopefully they make a complete recovery.

@HS4S_2 I hope your boys make a full recovery soon.

That’s why many more should be vaccinated if they can. It’s to protect people like you and your family who cannot and are at higher risk should you be infected.

Yes, exactly this. If everyone who could get vaccinated would get vaccinated then the people who shouldn't get vaccinated would be protected.

Instead what happens is the most vulnerable among us, who cannot get the vaccine or shouldn't get the vaccine, are at great risk of contracting and dying from Covid or coming down with serious life altering side effects from Covid.

The Delta variant is on the rise and cases and hospitalizations are increasing nationally again. Outbreaks are happening where vaccine coverage is low and the delta and other variants are dominant. Covid-19 infections are rising across the world.

This pandemic will NOT end anytime in the near future if we continue along this path of many (who do not have contraindications for getting the vaccine) refusing vaccination. It really is that simple.

If everyone who could get vaccinated would get vaccinated this pandemic would end and it would put an end to more variants. Studies indicate that about 80 to 85% of Americans would need to be vaccinated for the country to achieve herd immunity. I am guessing the number are similar for all over the world. That we need 80-85% of people everywhere to get vaccinated to put an end to this pandemic.

Instead, an appalling number of individuals (who can get vaccinated) are refusing vaccination and we will all pay the ultimate price. In terms of loss of (much more) life, mental health, economic damage and more.

We cannot escape the truth. The truth is if we don't all take responsibility for ending this pandemic we will (continue to) pay a very high price.

We need vaccine mandates. (Many) People cannot be trusted to do the right thing. The evidence to date is clear. With cold weather soon on the rise and the delta variant going strong getting vaccinated is the only clear defense. And to that end we need vaccine mandates. IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results