clarity

8yr Relationship Ready for the next step - Advice Needed

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good choice :)

thoughts

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Matt was able to call in two stones for me and make a short video comparing them. I'll be going in on Tuesday to see them in person. Below are the stats with a link to the video. Any advice on which is best value is appreciated.

1.01 carat I SI1 - lifetime guarantee - $7100
1 carat H SI1 - no guarantee - $7200
1.02 carat G SI1 - lifetime guarantee - $7500

Video: http://vimeo.com/37441748

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All three look great! For that small price difference, I would go with the G and get the higher color and lifetime policies. I'd want to be sure it is very eyeclean, however. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three, though.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
I think just the fact that the H color stone doesn't come with their lifetime guarantee drops it off of my list. Between the I and the G, is 2 color levels up worth the $400 price difference? If it is, assuming both stones are eye-clean, I'll be going with the G color.

Now only thing is to figure out the setting. My girlfriend is very petite (size 4-4.5 ring). I think at most, she would like pave with a X-prong cathedral setting. Maybe a halo? So many choices :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the halo will add a LOT of size to the ring. if she has not said she likes halos, I would not get one. If you think she would like a pave x-prong style then that sounds like a good choice.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't get a halo just because it will add overall size- many people lib halos and many do not.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't get the H because there is no policy with it. I would get the G if it's eyeclean otherwise the I, they both look gorgeous :love:

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you are doing a halo, I would get the G. Easily worth the extra $$, I color has far more and noticeable tint than a G, especially against the bright melee optics.

ETA: just saw you were considering a pave setting no halo, same above holds for that too! Also, to clarify, an I color is perfectly fine with pave and/or a halo but with such a small difference in $ I really think it's worth the jump in this case.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has she specifically said x-prong? Those are generally a little wider and I don't love those with pave.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
We've looked at rings before and she pointed out all those features to me (maybe not on all the same ring, lol). She does like simple so a setting like diamondseeker's would still suffice.

She has said she liked the x-prong. What part of it is wider? She is very petite, so I don't think a wide ring would look good on her.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can get a x-prong setting that is not too wide.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
So I wanted to update everyone on my current progress. I went back to GOG yesterday and spent about 3-4 hours making my final decision. I decided on the 1.02 ct g SI1. It was eye-clean and blinding when I looked at it in front of the window. I loved the light performance and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It also comes with the lifetime guarantee. Matt was very helpful and patient with me and I couldn't be happier.

As far as the setting, I went with a white gold, cathedral setting (no x-prong). The x-prongs were wider and I preferred the ring to be a little slimmer. They're going to be putting custom pave on it as well. I used a vatche ring as an 'inspiration ring'. I'm excited to see it when it's finished. I'll be sure to upload pictures here.

Ring: http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,15&startRow=6&id=14&alt=2
Diamond: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9215

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I can read your future: one DELIGHTED fiancee! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!! I have a G SI1 ideal cut stone as engagement ring too and I love it! I love eye-clean SI1 stones :D F/G is my favorite color range.
You did great!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great news!!! :appl: I am glad you found a stone at GOG and they were able to help you with a setting, too! I am sure it will be beautiful! Please come back and show us!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay!! can't wait to see it :)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! That is a gorgeous stone. I can't wait to see it in your setting. :appl:

thoughts

Rough_Rock
So the ring is done and ready to be shipped. I'm unable to make another trip out to GOG, so they kindly sent me pictures of the ring before I'm having it shipped out.

The stone is 1.02ct G SI1 H&A Premium Cut. The setting is white gold with a cathedral mount and custom pave. When I first saw the setting, it was a solid band without the stones. It looks beautiful with the pave now and they matched the side stones with my main diamond. Amazing. Here are the pics that I got from GOG. Once I have it, I'll take some shots of it on my soon-to-be fiance . :love:

JR ING with 102ct G SI1 Rd back.jpg

JR ING with 102ct G SI1 Rd front.jpg

JR ING with 102ct G SI1 Rd profile.jpg

JR ING with 102ct G SI1 Rd side.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow nice! Very elegant. I'm sure she'll love it!!!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
It looks beautiful. I hope it's everything you want it to be. We all know you worked hard to make it perfect.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!! She will be so thrilled I'm sure!

thoughts

Rough_Rock
Again, thanks everyone for all the advice. The proposal went perfect and she LOVES the ring. She's happy and that's all I wanted. Here are some pictures. It's tough to really capture it's beauty as it shines in person but doesn't carry over to a picture.

DSC_4519.JPG

DSC_4520.JPG

DSC_4521.JPG

DSC_4522.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results