shape
carat
color
clarity

8yr Relationship Ready for the next step - Advice Needed

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun at GOG! Really, I do hope you buy there because they are just a wonderful family-owned jewelry store with exquisite diamonds!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Have fun! Let us know how it goes. Takes lots of pics if you can!!!

thoughts

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I just got back from GOG. I was there for about two hours and talked with Matt about the stones. They didn't have much in their inventory that fit what I was looking for, but they had the following 1.01 carat I SI1: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/.. It's one of their Superior Hearts & Arrows cut. He's also going to bring in 2 other stones for me to compare: an H VS1 and an H eye clean SI1.

Pros: The service there was amazing. Matt examined different diamonds with me in all different settings (microscope, loupe, sunlight, upside down with a white background, etc). He also compared a few diamonds for me. The Lifetime warranty from them also seems to be a great deal: They'll buy back the stone at any time for 75% of what I pay and if you upgrade you get 100% of the value towards the new stone (the upgrade can even be $1 more; doesn't matter).

Cons: The stone is a step down in both clarity and color compared to other ones I am looking at and isn't that much of a discount (this one is $7100). Matt did compare the I to an H color and I couldn't tell the difference nor could my female friend I brought along. Also, he said that if the SI1 is eye clean and doesn't affect light performance, you get no visual improvement by going up to VS2.

Afterwards, I talked to my friend who took me to the first guy and he said that he'd rather lose out on cut and go with the higher color and clarity. He said Hearts & Arrows is just a gimmick to get you to pay a premium. Again he said this with the disclaimer that he didn't see the stone in person and is just going by what I'm telling him. However, Matt compared a Triple Ex GIA stone that he thought would be good but didn't meet their standards to the I SI1 above and the I SI1 easily had the better light performance.

So my questions are:
1. Is H&A a gimmick or does it really give you the best sparkle/fire/light performance, etc and is it worth it?

2. Should I go for cut above color and clarity contrary to what my friend says? Is it worth to go down 1 in both clarity and color to get the best cut possible?

3. What's everyone's opinion on the stone I saw at GOG? They will be bringing in other stones in my price range to compare. Hopefully, they will perform good enough to get the lifetime warranty.

Overall, I'm happy I went to GOG and enjoyed my time there. I will be going back after the James Allen appointment to see what Matt calls in for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thoughts|1329601886|3128899 said:
So my questions are:
1. Is H&A a gimmick or does it really give you the best sparkle/fire/light performance, etc and is it worth it?
I would not call it a gimmick. Its how precisely the stone is cut. You can have an H&A with bad angles that will not
have good light return or you can have a non-H&A with good angles that will have good light return. In other words,
you dont have to have h&A to have a beautiful stone and depending how much more the prices is it may or may not
be worth it to you.

2. Should I go for cut above color and clarity contrary to what my friend says? Is it worth to go down 1 in both clarity and color to get the best cut possible?
I would definitly go CUT above color/clarity especially when you are only talking 1 grade each.
3. What's everyone's opinion on the stone I saw at GOG? They will be bringing in other stones in my price range to compare. Hopefully, they will perform good enough to get the lifetime warranty.'
Its a nice stone...has a good idealscope and all the right numbers.

Overall, I'm happy I went to GOG and enjoyed my time there. I will be going back after the James Allen appointment to see what Matt calls in for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You are asking for "opinions" and your friend gave you his (gimmicks, etc). Others here have provided you with theirs. What is your own "opinion"? What do *you* want? What is *important* to you and your SI?

Certainly you can get a beautiful stone that isn't H & A. But I wouldn't go as far as calling H & A a "gimmick"--that is a value laden term with negative connotations. Again, my "opinion".

What kind of return or trade up policy does your friend offer--should you decide against a H & A, then change your mind and want to "upgrade"? How many stones of all cut qualities had he provided for you to see IRL so you can make an informed decision based on lab data and visual inspection?

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thoughts|1329601886|3128899 said:
yes, if you can live with the I color stone. the GOG I SI1 stone is top ideal cut and it doesn't get any better than this... :love: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it's kind of like cars. A Toyota Camry is a great and reliable car and can get you where you need to go just fine. And then there is the Lexus. You're fortunately dealing with a smaller price differential with an excellent cut diamond versus hearts and arrows top cut diamonds. Only you can answer if the price differential is worth it to you (although in the case of GOG and JA, you are getting far better policies as far as buy-back and trade-in if you ever needed them with GOG aside from diamond cut). However, the stones Matt is calling in may be less expensive because they may not meet the hearts and arrows requirements. Can they be equally beautiful to the eye? Absolutely! And GOG does run the light performance tests that confirm that. So I'd wait and see them before making a decision.

Your friend is wrong because he just doesn't know much about diamond cut. That first stone you posted was too deep and would look smaller than a 1 ct. stone should. I wouldn't call that a very smart choice even if the color and clarity were D IF. Some of the diamonds posted for you were 6.5mm including the one you saw from GOG, so it would be a real shame to settle for a smaller stone.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would get a top notch cut stone that faces up the right carat size as opposed to D IF. But thats everyone's decision to make

thoughts

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all the replies. I feel confident that I will not have any regrets after this purchase because of all the advice I've been given here.

I've given it more thought (and reread all the posts here multiple times ;)). I've come to the conclusion that my friend is more concerned about what the diamond looks like on paper. What I'M looking for is something that will stand out, look beautiful, and have my girlfriend fall in love with it. People are not going to look at the ring and say "Oh, that's a wonderful G, VS1 you have"; they are going to say "Wow, that's so sparkly", :love: .

So, based on this, here is my order of priorities Cut > Color > Clarity. I want the best possible cut so it sparkles and has great fire. I want the stone near colorless (personally I'd prefer H over I at least for ease of mind in a white gold setting). As long as the stone is eye clean and doesn't affect performance, I'm willing to go down to SI1 clarity.

Because of this, I've narrowed it down to GOG and James Allen. My friend's 'guy' doesn't have the kind of cuts I'm looking for and doesn't offer any warranty or upgrade policies. If I go with GOG, it will only be with a stone that has their lifetime guarantee. I'd prefer to go with GOG alone just because of their lifetime guarantee: I can upgrade the stone as many times as I want with no limit on how more expensive the upgrade stone is. With James Allen, the new stone has to be at least 2x the cost of the original.

I'm still going to see what both places have to offer before I make a decision on anything. And I will still be coming here for advice on the stones. :D Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound like you have a perfect plan!

thoughts

Rough_Rock
Appointment with James Allen is set for Wednesday, February 22nd at 1:30pm. I should get the 3 idealscope images tomorrow.

I should also be getting a call or email from Matt from GOG tomorrow about what he's been able to find for me. So many options, but I feel I'm closer to making a decision.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thoughts|1329755065|3130053 said:
Appointment with James Allen is set for Wednesday, February 22nd at 1:30pm. I should get the 3 idealscope images tomorrow.

I should also be getting a call or email from Matt from GOG tomorrow about what he's been able to find for me. So many options, but I feel I'm closer to making a decision.
HI:

Look forward to seeing what your options are!

cheers--Sharon

thoughts

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I've finally received the Idealscope images from James Allen. Hopefully, those more experienced than I can take a look at these images and tell me what my best choice is before my appointment tomorrow.

Here are the stones from James Allen:

$7310 - 1.02 carat G SI1 - 6.47*6.49*3.97 - HCA: 1.2 -
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1460878.asp
Idealscope:

$7400 - 1.02 carat H VS2 - 6.56*6.53*3.99 - HCA: 1.2 - (this one has a maple leaf inscription)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1443975.asp
Idealscope:

$7580 - 1.06 carat H VS2 - 6.55*6.59*4.04 - HCA: 1.5 -
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1452886.asp
Idealscope:

Here is the one I looked at at GOG:

$7100 - 1.01 carat I SI1 - 6.52*6.53*3.97 - HCA: 1.3 -
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/
DiamXray:

1443975id.jpg

1452886id.jpg

1460878id.jpg

LTSC.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thoughts|1329858204|3131091 said:
Ok, so I've finally received the Idealscope images from James Allen. Hopefully, those more experienced than I can take a look at these images and tell me what my best choice is before my appointment tomorrow.

Here are the stones from James Allen:

$7310 - 1.02 carat G SI1 - 6.47*6.49*3.97 - HCA: 1.2 -
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1460878.asp
Idealscope:

$7400 - 1.02 carat H VS2 - 6.56*6.53*3.99 - HCA: 1.2 - (this one has a maple leaf inscription)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1443975.asp
Idealscope:

$7580 - 1.06 carat H VS2 - 6.55*6.59*4.04 - HCA: 1.5 -
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1452886.asp
Idealscope:

Here is the one I looked at at GOG:

$7100 - 1.01 carat I SI1 - 6.52*6.53*3.97 - HCA: 1.3 -
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/
DiamXray:

I think all of the idealscope images look good-see what your eyes prefer!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 1.06 h vs2 from JA it looks like a great stone.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
In these pictures, I have two concerns.

1. The 1.02 carat H VS2 diamond has the most red (which I'm assuming is what I want); however, there is that black spot near the center. Is that something I should be worried about?

2. The stone from GOG is an DiamXray image. Is there a big difference between that and an idealscope? If I think of them as equal, it seems the stone from GOG has the best light return.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
thoughts|1329867826|3131218 said:
In these pictures, I have two concerns.

1. The 1.02 carat H VS2 diamond has the most red (which I'm assuming is what I want); however, there is that black spot near the center. Is that something I should be worried about?

2. The stone from GOG is an DiamXray image. Is there a big difference between that and an idealscope? If I think of them as equal, it seems the stone from GOG has the best light return.

I noticed the spot in the center too. If you match it against the GIA report, it is the inclusion. It's nothing to worry about though since you'll see the stone in person. It is possible that it's still eye clean. You have to keep in the mind that the image is blown up over 100x. But I would be extra cautious and make sure it's eye clean to your standard since the inclusion is right in the center. Look at it under different lighting environments and different angles. I have an SI1 stone and the only way I can see the inclusion is looking at it from 3 inches away and from a certain angle. That, to me, is eye clean enough. But if you are paying the extra for a VS clarity, I would make sure it's definitely eye clean to you.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I liked the 1.02 H VS2 best. Bring your camera to James Allen tomorrow so that I can see what it's like to go there, and see your stones you are looking at. Don't forget the macro setting for the stones. (I would wait to see what GOG brings in before committing to a stone tomorrow. I know when I have gone, the excitement of seeing such gorgeous stones makes me want to shout "I'll take it", before looking at all my options elsewhere. It's a good rule of thumb to "sleep on it" and not grab it that day.) Good luck, can't wait to see photos of your trip. :)

thoughts

Rough_Rock
H-A_girl, I asked and they don't allow cameras unfortunately. Once I finally choose a diamond, I'll take tons of pictures for all here to see.

All, any last minute advice. I'm heading out in 10 minutes to my appointment.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
So I went to the appointment with a diamond rep from James Allen and it went very well. I was able to see all the stones side by side and compare them to each other and get her expert opinion. In the end, we decided that the 1.02 H VS2 was the best one. I couldn't tell the difference between G and H. The SI1 had the worst light performance. The 1.02 VS2 had the "better" inclusion and light performance. It also has the cert # engraved on the girdle. The 1.06 VS2 was slightly larger, but it was so close that I couldn't tell the difference. I also asked about upgrading to a TrueHearts stone and the rep said that because of the light performance of this stone, it wouldn't be worth the extra money in this case.

I sill want to go back to GOG and do a final comparison. It's hard to tell without have them side by side. Matt from GOG is calling in two more stones in my price range: 1ct H SI1 and 1ct G SI1. He couldn't find an VS2 in my price range. Here are my current pros and cons between James Allen and GOG:

JA -
Pros: Stone is a color and clarity grade higher each for only $300 more. Stone also faces up larger (6.52 vs 6.56) although it is only a 4mm difference.

Cons: From what I recall. The GOG stone had better light performance. Also the warranty and upgrade policy isn't as good as GOG's. I'd have to ship the ring out for any repairs.

GOG -
Pros: Local store to me (only 45min away). Great upgrade policy and warranty on their guaranteed stones. Stone had great light performance and they have an assortment of setting options.

Cons: Assuming I choose a higher color grade, I still have to take a step down in clarity as nothing fits my price range (same color SI1 is $200 less than the VS2 - does that seem right?). Their settings seem a little bit more expensive too.

Thoughts? Advice?

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
thoughts|1329942743|3131851 said:
So I went to the appointment with a diamond rep from James Allen and it went very well. I was able to see all the stones side by side and compare them to each other and get her expert opinion. In the end, we decided that the 1.02 H VS2 was the best one. I couldn't tell the difference between G and H. The SI1 had the worst light performance. The 1.02 VS2 had the "better" inclusion and light performance. It also has the cert # engraved on the girdle. The 1.06 VS2 was slightly larger, but it was so close that I couldn't tell the difference. I also asked about upgrading to a TrueHearts stone and the rep said that because of the light performance of this stone, it wouldn't be worth the extra money in this case.

I sill want to go back to GOG and do a final comparison. It's hard to tell without have them side by side. Matt from GOG is calling in two more stones in my price range: 1ct H SI1 and 1ct G SI1. He couldn't find an VS2 in my price range. Here are my current pros and cons between James Allen and GOG:

JA -
Pros: Stone is a color and clarity grade higher each for only $300 more. Stone also faces up larger (6.52 vs 6.56) although it is only a 4mm difference.

Cons: From what I recall. The GOG stone had better light performance. Also the warranty and upgrade policy isn't as good as GOG's. I'd have to ship the ring out for any repairs.

GOG -
Pros: Local store to me (only 45min away). Great upgrade policy and warranty on their guaranteed stones. Stone had great light performance and they have an assortment of setting options.

Cons: Assuming I choose a higher color grade, I still have to take a step down in clarity as nothing fits my price range (same color SI1 is $200 less than the VS2 - does that seem right?). Their settings seem a little bit more expensive too.

Thoughts? Advice?

I think the upgrade policy is something to consider. I remember James Allen's upgrade policy is 2x the previous purchase. I don't know if you think upgrading your engagement ring is proper (my fiance is against the idea). If you think it's an option you'd like to have, then I'd go with GOG.

I like GOG's settings better too. They have nice a selection of designer settings like Vatche, Tacori and Mark Morrell. Do you know what setting you want?

thoughts

Rough_Rock
OCgirl|1329947077|3131898 said:
I think the upgrade policy is something to consider. I remember James Allen's upgrade policy is 2x the previous purchase. I don't know if you think upgrading your engagement ring is proper (my fiance is against the idea). If you think it's an option you'd like to have, then I'd go with GOG.

I like GOG's settings better too. They have nice a selection of designer settings like Vatche, Tacori and Mark Morrell. Do you know what setting you want?

That was the other thing. I'm not 100% sure what setting, but GOG had a huge selection; James Allen, not so much. I know my girlfriend would like something simple (she's a 4-4.5 ring size). From what we've looked at before: either white gold or platinum, x-prong, possibly pave.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with GOG I didn't notice that stone in the mix. They have a lot better upgrade policy if you ever decide to do so.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pros...out of the whole group the GOG stone is the only true H&A stone.
Cons...an I color stone. can she live with an I color stone?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
thoughts|1329933404|3131758 said:
H-A_girl, I asked and they don't allow cameras unfortunately. Once I finally choose a diamond, I'll take tons of pictures for all here to see.

All, any last minute advice. I'm heading out in 10 minutes to my appointment.
That's too bad, it would have been fun to actually see James Allen instead of them being just a Virtual Store.
(I noticed you said you went to the appointment with a diamond rep from James Allen, where did you look at the stones? )

thoughts

Rough_Rock
The stone from GOG is an I color which has me somewhat worried. I couldn't tell the difference in person, but I don't know if my girlfriend is color sensitive. However, they are bringing in an H and G color stone (SI1) that is right in my price range too. If they're eye clean and have the same light performance as the original stone, I think one of those would be best although it's one grade down in clarity.

As far as James Allen, it was just a big office in a building in the diamond district here in NY. I was expecting something more, but it was plain and not that big. Kinda goes to show you what an internet presence does for you.

Also, I have until 5pm today to make my decision on whether to keep the stone from James Allen :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it seems like you preferred the GOG stone? although it is hard to tell since you didn't have a side by side comparison. Does JA have a setting you like?

If you can find a 100% eye-clean SI1...it will look the same to the naked eye as a VS2.

thoughts

Rough_Rock
I've been thinking about my options all day and have decided to continue with GOG. They have the best warranty and policies between the two and since Matt is calling in other stones for me, color may not be a factor. Also, even though I'm going down one level as long as the stone is eye-clean, I'd rather lose some on clarity and gain on scintillation/sparkle/fire, etc.

Also, none of the settings on James Allen wowed me and GOG seems to have a much bigger selection.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made a great choice! My ring is from GOG and they are a wonderful, family owned store with high quality merchandise. and I like that! They will find you the right stone, I am sure!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330044579|3132874 said:
I think you made a great choice! My ring is from GOG and they are a wonderful, family owned store with high quality merchandise. and I like that! They will find you the right stone, I am sure!
I also think GOG will better suit you, especially since you are so close. And maybe they can make one their great videos of your ring, hey maybe since you are going down there, they can show your 3 choices AND you choosing in a short video. They are one of my favorite places because I love those videos!!! It will be nice to be able to have your ring checked and cleaned by the place your purchased from. I can't wait to see what you choose. Good luck on your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results