shape
carat
color
clarity

8 mm diamond pendant question

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond that I fell in love with and had it set into a mount that I also love. Unfortunately I have realized that I am not loving wearing a diamond ring with a larger stone that is not my engagement ring. I am thinking I want to put the diamond into a pendant. Is that crazy? Is it too big? Is it too dangerous to wear it as a necklace with the potential to lose it? Thanks in advance for the insight! :confused:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's fine. Just set it in a pendant. No issue.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention it is an OEC. Does that make a difference?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's up to you, but I'd probably not mount it as a pendant just because it's very easy to lose a necklace if the clasp breaks or malfunctions. And also because it's very easy for some passerby to snatch it off your neck. I use sim stones or gemstones for pendants, just for that reason.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't hesitate to put it in a pendant. You can always insure against loss. Better that than never wearing it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well if you won't wear it as a ring you should of course put it in a pendant. And MGR is right, just make sure it is insured.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Mine at 6.75 is smaller than yours but I wear it everyday pretty much 24/7. It is insured and the chain is soldered at all the right spots, no open links. Check out some of the OEC pendant treads to get an idea of how to set it. I wouldn't use a stock prong setting. I'd look to having something custom and really show off the diamond. Be sure to come back and show us what you decided.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the input! I will,definitely post pics when it is complete.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree on the custom setting. I think you should do 6 or 8 prongs too.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I think I am going with the CVB Astrid setting. I love bezels but want something a bit different that gives it a different shape. The diamond has a bit of a rough girdle as some older stones do so I want to protect that also. Any thoughts on that choice?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh!! I love that!! I think it would look amazing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for yes for wearing it in a pendant and that setting is gorgeous. I think an 8mm OEC in the Astrid setting would be amazing. :appl:

Good luck lilysweet and cannot wait to see it on you!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness it will look gorgeous, go for it!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful and I LOVE Caysie...her designs and quality are amazing!
8 mm will be amazing in a pendant!! whoa.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results