shape
carat
color
clarity

7000 ct diamond unearthed in SA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/15/2007 10:20:59 AM
Author: crypto-ffm
well, i''m not a gemologist and all i know about diamonds is what i read in wikipedia
1.gif

so please, let me ask you a question: does this crystal look like a rough diamond at all? Even given the fact, that rough diamonds are usually no octas?
A rough Diamond can come in all shapes...

A crystal of this shape would need to have the natural planes at a specific angles for it to be a Diamond crystal structure.
Imposible to tell accurately by this image.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I can only imagine, if it were real, that we would have seen it fully verified, secured and documented by now. When it's possible you have the biggest find in diamond history there's no reason to drag your feet.

Meanwhile, it has been interesting to follow the media on this.

Ernest Blom was supposed to verify it over a week ago.
More has come out about Jolly's dubious past.
Some infer it's the "Skaapkop" diamond of Afrikaner legend.
A DeBeers lady will eat her hat if it is.

Yes - No - Yes - No.

>

"This parrot is dead, mate."
No it isn't.
"Yes it is."
Look...'e moved.
"That was you bangin' the cage!"
No it wasn't.

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
ok, i think i''ve got the picture
1.gif

the main reason for my questions is my ongoing suspicion about this hype being part of a confidence trickster scheme. however, i have no proof for my suspicion besides my personal tendency to be sceptic when faced with astounding claims from dodgy people.
anyway, thanks a lot for your patience and your answers!

heartly,
michael

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/15/2007 1:13:05 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Meanwhile, we can celebrate the 18th largest.

494 carats, unearthered by Gem Diamonds in Lesotho. Story here. And from the same mine that unearthed the 603 ct Lesotho Promise (15th largest) last year. Thread.

31.gif
...And who said larger Diamonds are harder to come by.....
31.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Last week, I talked to one of the guys in Antwerp, who arrange the sales of these Lesotho-diamonds, and we were talking about this so-called 7000 Ct-find.

Our conclusion is that it can never be a diamond, simply because of the logic of diamond-mining.

One either has an alluvial find, and in that case, this diamond has traveled in some river over a very long distance. However, in that case, it would not have this sharp crystal-structure, and it would show much more damage. Not to mention the unlikeliness of it traveling a long distance without breaking.

Or it comes out of a real diamond-mine. However, in such mines, they use crushers to crush the rock into smaller pieces, after which they use other machinery to try and retrieve diamonds from the rock. All these crushers are designed to break the rock up into a smaller piece than this 7000-Ct stone would be, so it cannot have come through such a crusher either.

The guy even mentioned that they had been extremely lucky in Lesotho, getting a 603 Ct-stone through the crusher.

Live long,

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 4:21:27 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 9/15/2007 1:03:21 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
''This parrot is dead, mate.''

No it isn''t.

''Yes it is.''

Look...''e moved.

''That was you bangin'' the cage!''

No it wasn''t.

Did you notice the beautiful plumage?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Neal and John~you are very bad influences...you know that, don''t you
3.gif
9.gif
11.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Diamond?
Fluorite?
Scam?
Skaapkop?
Dead Parrot?

...Smuggled?

with a member of the Scorpions - is that the Jade Giant was found by diamond miners in the northern parts of Zimbabwe... >>

?

Have we gone from Blom to bar for verification?
If they wait long enough will a diamond form?
And...what about Naomi?

For the answers to these and other questions - - -

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
The Scorpions ? hmm, maybe, they wanna create a new style: hard rock''s dead, dude - now it''s heavy, heavy diamonds
26.gif

hardly surprised,
michael

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
Game over: The stone has been tested and - surprise, surprise - it is not a diamond!

Here's the news from Mining Weekly Online:

http://www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=118467

Moreover, as the "stone" has been described by eye-witnesses as being a "lump of resin", the find and it's announcement can also not be qualified as wishful thinking. I can hardly imagine, that the tell-tale "experienced old miner" who allegedly found it was so unexperienced that he could not distinguish resin from minerals
28.gif

Heartly,
Michael

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2007 8:01:59 AM
Author: crypto-ffm

Game over: The stone has been tested and - surprise, surprise - it is not a diamond!
I got a slug.
"Pray, does it talk?"
Not really.
"Well it''s hardly a bloody replacement is it?!"

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 7:49:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Date: 10/8/2007 7:11:46 PM

Author: CaptAubrey

The full, ugly truth here:

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=581515

That photo of the ''diamond tester'' with the cap still on is just priceless.
3.gif

He he he - what a hoot!!!!

And the green flourite is now a resin octahedra........................................
20.gif

Author: Mining Weekly

Meanwhile, former top diamond analyst James Allan said that the supposed diamond find "sounded fishy right from the start".

Former? Not our very own star of a pricescope video Jim Allen?

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 7:49:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

And the green flourite is now a resin octahedra........................................
20.gif

Anyway, it was a good laugh
9.gif

And it''s fascinating: Not only Jolly, but also Blom seems to clutch at the straw that there could be the real McCoy still somewhere out there. It''s like watching X-Files: "I want to believe!" Sometimes, I fear to loose my good faith in the human race. But I''m sure, that there''s a suiting line from Monty Python, hmm?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
With some liberties taken...

Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king!

Dennis: Listen, strange miners at the side of the road distributin' diamond testers is no basis for a system of verification! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from Ernest Blom, not some disgusting lump of resin!

[Always look on the bright side of life]

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Help Help, I''m being lied to!

come and see the lies inherrant in the system!

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
Ah - I knew, that you know one.
Thanks, guys, that makes my day! Well, my evening, actually. Now I can go out and have a beer or two on all misguided souls all around the world ... and that there might be a lump of resin for every one of them.

Prost!
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results