shape
carat
color
clarity

7000 ct diamond unearthed in SA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
9.gif
36.gif

junior35

Rough_Rock
You have it all wrong.....it''s fossilized JELL-O lime flavour!

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You guys are all hilarious.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2007 12:20:07 AM
Author: Regular Guy
guys...let''s get real.

It''s not a diamond at all...

it''s just a very cleverly disguised rabbit.
I''m really trying not to touch this one, Ira. The quips are just waiting...waiting...waiting
3.gif

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/28/2007 12:01:39 PM
Author: stebbo
Really brings home how light diamonds are, 70 grams for the size of a coconut! I'd guess a real coconut would be 10 times heavier.
20.gif
I guess nobody reads my posts...
8.gif
That should be 1.4kg, not 70g.

A 7000ct diamond would be approximately the size of a 3" cube, not a coconut.

Looking very much like a hoax...

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I go away for 24 hours and miss all the fun.
7.gif

Some of the reports I saw had suggestions from the parties involved that it would take them "about a week" to confirm its identity, which tells me they''re planning to stretch this out as long as possible.

If genuine, I think that it could be identified conclusively in, oh, about five minutes, tops. That it hasn''t been identified by now tells me all I need to know.
11.gif

mike c

Rough_Rock
Hi John

Looks like Mr Brett Jolly the person who has the stone has changed the story , Now he claims he never said it was a diamond.

Maybe!!!!! he found a good way to market the property which he owns.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=115776

And in South Africa, a country that, you know, has a few people who know about diamonds, they''ve apparently felt it necessary to ask WFDB president Ernest Blom to identify the stone.
20.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
A week? We'll have a whole movie quoted by then.

Here's the front page of a SA paper with a good sumup.

Date: 8/29/2007 7:50:47 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

...they've apparently felt it necessary to ask WFDB president Ernest Blom to identify the stone.
20.gif
Trying to balance the credibility scales after the first authority who weighed in maybe?
2.gif
(tongue-in-cheek).

remove-the-supports.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
You started it
3.gif

A duck!

An aquatic bird that, in medieval times, was used to find out if a person was a witch or not.

This stems from the very logical idea that if a person weighs the same as a duck, then that person is made of wood (because both ducks and wood float in water). And since wood burns (just like witches) then that person must be a witch, because witches are made of wood.

Therefore, the accused person(s) would be placed on a scale next to a duck, and if they balanced, the person(s) would be burned.

So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood. And therefore... A WITCH! [quoted from the Urban Dictionary]

Therefore, the so-called diamond is either a duck, a witch or a piece of wood. I rest my case
17.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2007 8:37:18 PM
Author: risingsun
Therefore, the so-called diamond is either a duck, a witch or a piece of wood. I rest my case
17.gif
Yes, there are the five...no...three questions to be concerned about, no doubt.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2007 11:16:31 PM

Date: 8/29/2007 8:37:18 PM
Author: risingsun
17.gif
Yes, there are the five...no...three questions to be concerned about, no doubt.
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh
6.gif

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Interesting John that the former top-rated diamond analyst was a "James Allan" (with an ''a''). I''m sure I read about a Weingarten cutter or something in Antwerp once too.

Thanks for the follow up article.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 11:17:02 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
Update: 'I never said it was a diamond'

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2173646,00.html

<< Inundated with calls and e-mails over the discovery, Jolly said he was perplexed over the criticism generated by media commentators. 'All I said was that I had a stone. I don't know if it's a diamond, I certainly never said it was,' Jolly said. >>

(brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin)
Don't tempt me
3.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Well, he does for 4 and 1/2 minutes anyway.

John could be right...

Date: 8/29/2007 8:19:03 PM
A week? We''ll have a whole movie quoted by then.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 6:43:51 PM
Well, he does for 4 and 1/2 minutes anyway.

John could be right...

Date: 8/29/2007 8:19:03 PM
A week? We''ll have a whole movie quoted by then.
It''s just a fleshwound!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 11:17:25 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
come back and i''ll bite yure b....y arms off
Run away! Run away!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come back! It''s only a flesh wound!

We`ll call it draw.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, what they really were trying to do was determine the specific gravity of a duck- I mean witch.
Okay, I''ll stop now.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
NI!

Ni! Ni! Ni!

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
although the topic seems to be "dead", i just wanna add something about this notorious crystal. i've made an enlargement of the pic from the bbc online article. some of the articles i read about the "biggest diamond" mentioned that the crystal's shape would resemble the octahedron shape of a diamond. However, when i looked at the bbc-picture, i had that impression that something's wrong with the shape. at the first glance, it looks like an octahedron, but only if one looks at the upper side. the lower side however, seems not to fit this shape.

Now, if you reflect upon the enlarged picture, you can see the reason: it's like an optical illusion. if you look from 'above', the crystal looks like two pyramids put together, but if you look at it from "below" it's different - there seems to be a notch in one side. i'm not sure about the crystal's real shape, but it doesn't look like an octahedron

Jolly diamond - bbc website - enlarged.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/15/2007 8:31:15 AM
Author: crypto-ffm
although the topic seems to be ''dead'', i just wanna add something about this notorious crystal. i''ve made an enlargement of the pic from the bbc online article. some of the articles i read about the ''biggest diamond'' mentioned that the crystal''s shape would resemble the octahedron shape of a diamond. However, when i looked at the bbc-picture, i had that impression that something''s wrong with the shape. at the first glance, it looks like an octahedron, but only if one looks at the upper side. the lower side however, seems not to fit this shape.

Now, if you reflect upon the enlarged picture, you can see the reason: it''s like an optical illusion. if you look from ''above'', the crystal looks like two pyramids put together, but if you look at it from ''below'' it''s different - there seems to be a notch in one side. i''m not sure about the crystal''s real shape, but it doesn''t look like an octahedron
If it was a genuine Diamond..., it be splashed all over the media!!!

As far as shape is..., you are right..., something seems not right when studying the shape based on this image... (but do remember 99% of rough Diamonds are not perfect octa''s)

But please take into consideration that if this so-called 7000+ carat diamond was made of a perfect octahedron..., it would be a RARE live speciment never to be cut!!!

Rarer than any cut Diamond (period).

crypto-ffm

Rough_Rock
well, i''m not a gemologist and all i know about diamonds is what i read in wikipedia
1.gif

so please, let me ask you a question: does this crystal look like a rough diamond at all? Even given the fact, that rough diamonds are usually no octas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results