shape
carat
color
clarity

7.8mm of green goodness! Asscher peridot is here :)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
So this is my first gemstone purchase (with the help of PS members of course!) and after receiving this, I can see that this will not be my last. I LOVE it!
30.gif
This stone was cut by Gary Braun and its 7.8 x 7.8 mm. Its a tad lighter than I was hoping for, but I actually think I might be happier with it this way since I like lighter stones for the asscher cut, it really shows off the steps. Gary did a beautiful job, and I must say he has to be one of the nicest people ever! I can not say enough about his customer service.

The vendor pics are lighter than the stone really is. I''d say the color is the closest to the photos I took outside.

I hope to set the stone in a double bezel setting, something similar to LTP''s scapolite setting, but I want to do something slightly different with the gallery... Lauren - if you read this, would that be ok with you if I set this in something similar to your ring? Anybody have recommendations for vendors who have experience with custom bezels for softer stones?

I still don''t know how to add more than one photo to each post so please bear with me, there are quite a few photos. And I am pretty sucky at taking pictures of jewelry, I don''t know how so many of you get such great photos... anyways, I''ll stop babbling, here they are, starting with Gary''s photos:

garyperidotasscher.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
2nd vendor pic

garyperidotasscher2.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
last vendor pic...

garyperidotasscher3.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Now to the outside photos...

gary peridot asscherrrr 11.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
had to get the flower shot, of course
2.gif

gary peridot asscherrrr 10.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
please ignore the finger smudges in this one...

gary peridot asscherrrr 13.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
are you getting sick of these yet!?!?
28.gif

gary peridot asscherrrr 16.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
last outside photo:

gary peridot asscherrrr 17.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
and now for the indoor ones (you didn't think I was finished, did you?)

gary peridot asscherrrr 4.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
please ignore my ugly hands...

gary peridot asscherrrr 6.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
another...

gary peridot asscherrrr 7.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
almost done...

gary peridot asscherrrr 9.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
and here is the last one! hope you enjoyed
1.gif

gary peridot asscherrrr 8.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Nice cut and color! What''s you plan?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely peridot! I think LTP had that ring set by her jeweler, though I might be mistaken. I wish I had a good vendor rec, but I really not sure. I''d email Sally at HOW and ask her if its something she could take on.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh, this is gorgeous! I hadn''t realized peridots could be so deliciously light instead of hard green. Can''t wait to see what you do with it!

I''m going to have to start searching for peridot stones now... :)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
yingh - Thank you
1.gif
The plan is to set in a white gold bezel set ring with an open gallery (not sure the specifics of the design as of yet though).

IndyLady - I think I did read somewhere that she had it set by her local jeweler. I have heard of Sally so I will contact her and I might try Julia Kay Taylor who is also an Etsy seller.

redhead - I agree, I am very happy with the color of this stone
30.gif
I hope I''m not being a bad influence on you by posting this stone
6.gif
9.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another asscher:)! That is one substantial size! The step cut shows up clearly, nice:) Looking forward to see it set
36.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely peridot!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay, another beautiful asscher! I think your photos are great!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
YUM - that peridot is delicious! It''s hard to find them without too much olive or yellow, but I think the color in your photos is better than Gary''s studio shots - always nice when that happens!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 9:10:37 AM
Author: cellentani
YUM - that peridot is delicious! It''s hard to find them without too much olive or yellow, but I think the color in your photos is better than Gary''s studio shots - always nice when that happens!

Ditto this! I''m generally not a huge peridot fan, but the green in yours is just LOVELY!
30.gif
And Gary''s cutting, as usual, looks superb! Now I need an asscher...not that I didn''t think that before!
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this stone!! cut and color are perfect :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone. Please make sure you get a good benchperson to set it as peridots are soft stones. It might be better off in a pendant like Freke's minty peridot asscher as an example. Be very careful if you do a bezel, as they are more difficult to set properly.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 2:56:07 AM
Author: chictomato
Another asscher:)! That is one substantial size! The step cut shows up clearly, nice:) Looking forward to see it set
36.gif

chictomato - I am definitely happy with the size. I had been considering going bigger (maybe 9mm) but I couldn''t find anyone with a large enough rough stone. Gary thought he would only be able to get around 7mm out of this one so I was definitely pleasantly surprised to find out he was able to get almost 8mm out of it
36.gif
Besides, it will be bezel set which should add to the finger coverage, and I have small fingers (size 4).

Thank you Lovinggems, alene, and Cehrabehra!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 10:51:10 AM
Author: vc10um
Date: 6/13/2010 9:10:37 AM

Author: cellentani

YUM - that peridot is delicious! It's hard to find them without too much olive or yellow, but I think the color in your photos is better than Gary's studio shots - always nice when that happens!

Ditto this! I'm generally not a huge peridot fan, but the green in yours is just LOVELY!
30.gif
And Gary's cutting, as usual, looks superb! Now I need an asscher...not that I didn't think that before!
2.gif

cellentani & vc10um - I agree with you both on the color. I had initially wanted something darker, and I was a little nervous after seeing Gary's photos because they are so light. But in real life, the color is perfect
1.gif

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 11:05:09 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Lovely stone. Please make sure you get a good benchperson to set it as peridots are soft stones. It might be better off in a pendant like Freke''s minty peridot asscher as an example. Be very careful if you do a bezel, as they are more difficult to set properly.

TL - Thank you for your advice. I will definitely look around on here to find out more about those that are experienced with setting softer stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results