shape
carat
color
clarity

63% depth - is it really that bad?

annili

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this forum and first of all, I'd like to apologize for any mistake, because English is not my native language.

My wonderful fiancé wanted to get me the perfect stone in his budget, so he bought me a 0.4 carat diamond (F color, IF clarity, Ex Ex Ex cut, GIA certified) set in 18k yellow gold.
So basically the stone sounds really great, but I am so concerned about the depth of 63%. I know the stone is cut too deep, and I go back and forth between keeping and returning it. Obviously, it was quite expensive, and he was so eager to please me and get the perfect ring for his proposal in Paris. Apart from the depth, all the stats are fine.

I would appreciate some input from experts! Thank you so much!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on getting engaged!

63 doesn't mean the stone sucks it just means that more carat is invisible to you making it less value for money.

May is IF important to you or was it just a way to get eye clean? Also an F with yellow gold is probably over kill as the stone will reflect some of the yellow anyway and he could have gotten away with a lower colour.

What are the rest of the specs?

I don't want to put you off your new stone but it sounds like he spent more than he needed to

annili

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input!
I’m concerned that the deep stone will sparkle noticeable less than other stones despite the Ex Ex Ex cut, and I don’t have any stone to compare it to. Moreover, I’m not an expert for diamonds.

The 4C he went for are probably an overkill, but he wanted it to be that way. He could have gotten me a J color VS2 diamond and it would look kind of the same for half the price or less.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main thing is that it might appear smaller than it should because greater depth means smaller diameter, usually.

Please give us the table, crown angle, pavilion angles, and diameter. That way we can give you a better answer as to whether we would keep or exchange.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a bonafide proponent of top cutting I have an unusual comment to make here.

Do you like the appearance of the diamond?

Do you like the thought that he went all out to get you something to treasure.

If so, might it not be best to just revel in the love with which the diamond was given and treasure the joy in the effort that he made to please you?

Yes, I am sure that a more perfect diamond can be found, but at what cost to the feelings of the man who was sending you a loud and clear message that he loves you.

Just my thoughts as a romantic.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1475513181|4083212 said:

If so, might it not be best to just revel in the love with which the diamond was given and treasure the joy in the effort that he made to please you?

Yes, I am sure that a more perfect diamond can be found, but at what cost to the feelings of the man who was sending you a loud and clear message that he loves you.

Wink

Wink is a wise man!

(Best to set the parameters in advance. Very hard to make a change after the proposal.)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So well stated Wink! Thank you for clarifying what is really important here. I think we all tend to forget.
OP, congratulations on your engagement and on a lovely guy who proposed to you in Paris and presented you with his best! :appl:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Wink

Exactly.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Wink

+1 - nicely said

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results