carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring help, please!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I am a total ring novice.

Can someone explain why a low setting and open profile wouldn't work well together?

For a ring where the stones curve around the fingers, what are your thoughts on a u prong vs shared prong setting? Is one setting better than the other for bigger stones?
Even the lowest set u-prong settings require that the stones are set higher than the base of the ring. The entire concept of the U-prong band is to have the complete diamond profile exposed. They are beautiful, but they do sit higher.

upload_2018-8-28_16-1-40.png

A setting like T&Co. open basket allows for a small opening in the basket for the culet of the diamonds that would then allow the stones to be set extra low:
upload_2018-8-28_16-5-20.png

I cannot be sure how much difference you will see if you are to reset your band. I find that part of the process is wearing a new ring and getting used to it, but if you are really unhappy or if it is really uncomfortable, then I would suggest not ignoring that for long.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Simone.

Asking BGD to recommend some other settings. In the meanwhile, instead of u prong vs shared prong, what about getting a u prong but asking them to modify it so that it sits a bit lower and the stones wrap around better?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I am still trying to decide between getting a 5 stone u prong ring from either ID Jewelry or Brian Gavin.

Brian Gavin is more expensive by about $1500, but all the stones would be Black by Brian Gavin diamonds. On the other hand, ID Jewelry is cheaper, but I am not sure their craftsmanship is quite as good?

In addition, I am looking for 5 stones, .40 each, VS2, and D in colour. I am looking for all the stones to be identical. Or is there a range they can fall in where it would not make a difference visually? Ie, one stone being .40 and one stone being .42? My ring size is 4.25, so hoping it will look nice!

What else do I need to consider when making this purchase?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.
I never worked with ID but I did have my 3/4 eternity UProng made by Brian Gavin. I wanted .15 stones and they didn’t have that size stones on their site. I asked for a quote on the .15’s. They were able to make all my diamonds match perfectly...I’m very happy with the way it turned out.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure where they're getting 'only .2mm of difference'. An ideal cut .3ct diamond is roughly 4.35mm in diameter. An ideal cut .4ct diamond is roughly 4.75. The difference is clearly noticeable, and adds to 2mm in total - a significant difference on your finger if overall width is an issue.

I think the 5 x .3 diamonds look great, the .4's are too large and the .2's are too small. But like Goldilocks said - "The .3ct diamonds are juuuust right!"

Well, she said something like that, anyway....chick was into porridge more than diamonds, but who am I to judge?

Yes, I am still unsure why they said that .30 would be practically the same as .40s visually, and only .2mm difference, which they said in both email and verbally, so am sure I got this right, and not a mistake.. decisions, decisions...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I am thinking about keeping the .40s, but using this setting instead.... Thoughts?!
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ity-bands/open-gallery-5-stone-platinum-5388p

It's great. Are they making this in place of the other ring for free? I hope you do not have to spend another 2k for a remake! They keep telling you to keep the .40 size stones but what if it's still not curving the way you want? I am with Mrs-B here- .2 and 2 mm is a pretty big difference. This is a $9k ring. They should be holding your hand through this!!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@galatie are you able to try on a 5 stone ring in person with 30pt stones?

This situation is precisely what can happen when a customer has a specific idea in mind, in OPs case that was a five stone ring with 40pt diamonds each and later has regrets/doubts because they never got to try on a similar ring in person and the actuality is different than the imaginary outcome.

If you are able to try on a ring with 30pt each, that would be my very first suggestion before you decide to change the setting of the existing one. If you are not able to try one on then perhaps you can just buy a cheap CZ ring off amazon with similar size stones. If there is a T&Co. anywhere near you, please go and visit them.

Everyone on this forum has different ideas about what their ideal or tolerable size is. My ring size for example is 5.5 and I have tried five stone rings raging from 1ctw to 3ctw and I have found them all to be very comfortable, but that is not to say that other people will.

Try on other smaller rings first and then go from there. Also, is the current ring uncomfortable, not what you envisioned or you are just worried that it is too big? You need to understand for yourself where the source of the problem is.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Just came back from Tiffany’s, and the biggest band they had for me to try on was their .91 seven stone ring, unfortunately!

So still debating between .30s or .40s, and u prong vs shared prong. The .40s u prong I have now is very comfortable to wear, but visually, I just wonder if the stones are a tiny bit too big for my finger, and if I had smaller stones, it would wrap around better?

.30s or .40s and u prong or shared prong

This is why I hardly ever buy jewellery! Too stressful! Help please!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
galatie I went down the road of a 5 stone, and ultimately I couldn't get what I was looking for the price I was willing to pay at the time, so I parked the idea for a while, I was looking for 5 .40ct diamonds, low set but I have a 7.75 size finger!! Two of the rings I looked at are in this photo for comparison, one ring was .32ct each diamond, and the other was .38ct each. I know one was 4 stone and one 5, but it will give you an idea of the size increase per diamond, it was actually more than I thought it was!! The 4 stone has the bigger diamonds.

I would hope that they will Brian Gavin will help you get to something you are happy with. It was whiteflash I was dealing with and I found them brilliant.

IMG_3550.JPG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came back from Tiffany’s, and the biggest band they had for me to try on was their .91 seven stone ring, unfortunately!

So still debating between .30s or .40s, and u prong vs shared prong. The .40s u prong I have now is very comfortable to wear, but visually, I just wonder if the stones are a tiny bit too big for my finger, and if I had smaller stones, it would wrap around better?

.30s or .40s and u prong or shared prong

This is why I hardly ever buy jewellery! Too stressful! Help please!

Okay..if you have T&Co. near by, then there must be other jewelry stores. Visit some others and try out bands. We cannot try them out for you and BGD cannot either and therefore advice you what size would work best for you. You need to see that for yourself.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think that the stones are necessarily too large.
I have tried a five stone with 50pt and 60pt which is about the equivalent of 40pt on your size 4.25 and I thought they looked great and were comfy (pics below)

As I stated earlier, I think that your setting style choice conflicted with your desire for a low set band that curves. The dream setting/shared prong will work and also a bead set setting will ensure that the ring sits very low but might not be your style exactly.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../seven-stone-shared-prong-band-platinum-5391p
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...y-bands/bead-set-eternity-band-platinum-5433p
Or you could try the open basket 5 stone as that would still sit lower than your current U prong.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ity-bands/open-gallery-5-stone-platinum-5388p
60pt each
53A60A66-4343-416A-AA87-236229DEEE69.jpeg
50pt each
E4773B09-4FB3-442F-B977-7E4A3776D4E2.jpeg

Hi Simone - can you tell me what settings are in each of the two pics which you sent over? Many thanks

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What about the idea of using smaller diamonds at the two ends? Then you can have three 0.40, and two 0.20, which should make the length fit. I think it’s a better option than going down across the board.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Peacechick, but I"m one of those weird type of people where not having everything symmetrical would drive me crazy, so looking for 5 stones of equal sizing across the board.

I will visit some stores tomorrow, and report back tomorrow.

Thanks, all!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Well, I went to several stores to try on rings today.

I mainly tried on 5 stone rings of .30 points each, in both a u prong shared prong setting. Visually, the stones were a good size. I think however, that I have a very very slight preference for the .40s - it just has more bling, and I love big stones! I did notice that the rings that I tried on today in the traditional shared prong open basket setting did look lovely as well, as it seems to be more of a delicate looking setting than the u prong?

Here are the options below which I am considering:
1. Keep .40 stones. However, change to a shared prong basket setting. This will be lower, and therefore, the stones might wrap around my hands better, even if the size of the stones remain the same? Am I right in that the shared prong setting also makes the stones look more round, and the stones tend to look a little square in the u prong setting? Maybe it was my eyes playing tricks on me...
2. Keep the u prong setting, and get .30 stones instead. I love the side profile of the u prong setting and how all of the diamonds are exposed, but a u prong might be too high of a setting for me, especially coupled with big stones like the .40s. .30s with a u prong might work better, and give me more of a wrap look?
3. I love the side profile of the u prong setting, but I also love how low the shared prong setting is, and how it seems to curve around the hand better. Ask BGD to perhaps make a combination of the two settings? Maybe a u prong setting which is set very low and wraps around? Or is this really just not a very good idea, and defeats the purpose of having a u prong setting?
4. Forgot both the .30s and .40s - and try to source .35s for 1.75tcw, in either setting?!

Please see pics attached - any advice would be soo so helpful!

IMG_4189.JPG
1.55 shared prong vs 1.61 u prong - see how the shared prong seems to be more rounded?

IMG_4186.JPG
1.61 u prong vs. 1.55 shared prong

IMG_4180.JPG
my current ring on top, 1.61 on bottom

Attachments

• IMG_4180.JPG
    IMG_4180.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4186.JPG
    IMG_4186.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 16

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, based on what I am gathering, the following is true:
1. You prefer the 40pt stones
2. You like the u-prong setting

I would not do options 3 and 4 - a combination setting is not a good idea and 35pt will make no difference.

I have another suggestion - what if you just keep the ring as is? I don’t think that you will be fully happy with a shared prong because the profile will be hidden and I don’t think that you will be happy with 30pt because they will seem small to you especially after some time of wear. Your setting looks so much better in these pictures than any of the ones you tried on. The rings with smaller diamonds have greater width as the prongs that are holding them are bulky and there is so much space between the stones. In general, with a shared prong setting you can achieve a greater scalloped effect as the prongs can be brought in closer together vs the u-prong. However, if the current setting is not comfortable, then I would say change it to a closed basket shared prong with an opening at the bottom for cleaning and the far right and left stones be held by a semi-bezel, like this one: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...tone-shared-prong-band-18k-white-gold-5391w18

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Simone.

You have actually pinpointed exactly what I was trying to describe! I do love the scalloped look oof the shared prongs! To me the side profile view is not nearly as important as the top view, so I think that I
would like to try the .40s in a shared prong setting. Do you you think that changing it to a shared prong setting will provide more of a curving effect? Also, is there a reason why you recommend a closed vs open basket shared prong setting?

Having a talk with Brian later today, but feel like we might be getting on the right track, so thank you! :)

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Simone.

You have actually pinpointed exactly what I was trying to describe! I do love the scalloped look oof the shared prongs! To me the side profile view is not nearly as important as the top view, so I think that I
would like to try the .40s in a shared prong setting. Do you you think that changing it to a shared prong setting will provide more of a curving effect? Also, is there a reason why you recommend a closed vs open basket shared prong setting?

Having a talk with Brian, but feel like we might be getting on the right track, so thank you! :)
Just popping in to say the larger the stone, the less "curvature" you will get.

Just a reference, this is PS member @kcourcelle size 4.5, .31 stones. Can you see that at that size, the stone are really "between" her fingers - along with the prongs. Make sure you are comfortable with that.
Wedding_b2.jpg

size 4.25, .3 ct each shared prong.@ilovethiswebsite
myfivemay112010-jpg.243662

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Rocky.

I understand that the bigger the stone the less curvature you will get.. however, do you think I would get more curvature if I change settings from a u prong to a shared prong setting? Or I really just need to go down from .40s to .30s?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Rocky.

I understand that the bigger the stone the less curvature you will get.. however, do you think I would get more curvature if I change settings from a u prong to a shared prong setting? Or I really just need to go down from .40s to .30s?

The shared prong closed basket will sit the lowest. I think it will be important for you to have the end stones be held by a semi-bezel vs prongs for comfort. The closer together the shared prongs are, the wider the band will get as you will be adding more space between the stones. I wouldn’t do that. I think your band looks beautiful as is in terms of the location of the prongs.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine- it is a shared prong setting. I LOVE the "pinched in" aspect of the prongs. It gives you the scalloped look and the stones are VERY close together. This looks really bulky because it's very close up. In real life, the prongs are teeny tiny. I was told that the shared prong setting curves around the finger the best and that factored into my decision on the setting. I considered u-prong and trellis but went with this because it's low and curves beautifully.

I think you can try the shared prong, but if you end up with the same issue, where do you go from there? I don't think BG is going to make the ring a 4th time if you don't like it.

My opinion is that you need .30 stones if you want that curvature.

IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Soxfan, I actually sent your pic and Bliss's today to Brian Gavin as an example of rings which I love!.

Did you use IDJ's standard 5 stone shared pron setting? Did you have them customize it in any way, ie make it as low as possible. And did you also ask to get it tapered in on the sides?

Thank you!

This is mine- it is a shared prong setting. I LOVE the "pinched in" aspect of the prongs. It gives you the scalloped look and the stones are VERY close together. This looks really bulky because it's very close up. In real life, the prongs are teeny tiny. I was told that the shared prong setting curves around the finger the best and that factored into my decision on the setting. I considered u-prong and trellis but went with this because it's low and curves beautifully.

I think you can try the shared prong, but if you end up with the same issue, where do you go from there? I don't think BG is going to make the ring a 4th time if you don't like it.

My opinion is that you need .30 stones if you want that curvature.

IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soxfan, I actually sent your pic and Bliss's today to Brian Gavin as an example of rings which I love!.

Did you use IDJ's standard 5 stone shared pron setting? Did you have them customize it in any way, ie make it as low as possible. And did you also ask to get it tapered in on the sides?

Thank you!

Oh I'm flattered!:) No, I didn't specify anything but "bliss" setting, and didn't ask for it to be tapered in on the side or as low as possible. So zero customization. I did see in my receipt "bliss" setting, FYI.

This was the second pass on this ring, the first one had a couple of stones set wonky and the prongs weren't great, but the setting was exactly the same in terms of style, so there was nothing lost in translation. It was the same setting both times.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Sox!

Brian Gavin has an open basket shared prong setting and a closed one - you would recommend the closed one, as I guess that is lower?

Oh I'm flattered!:) No, I didn't specify anything but "bliss" setting, and didn't ask for it to be tapered in on the side or as low as possible. So zero customization. I did see in my receipt "bliss" setting, FYI.

This was the second pass on this ring, the first one had a couple of stones set wonky and the prongs weren't great, but the setting was exactly the same in terms of style, so there was nothing lost in translation. It was the same setting both times.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about those specific two settings, but Tiffany's open basket shared prong bands are the lowest I have seen. Height doesn't really have anything to do with which style of setting it is (between those two). So you'd have to ask BG that question about those specific bands.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered ovals instead of rounds? You'd get more coverage along the length of your finger for the same or similar width as the .3c.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to Brian - and we will decide what to do with the ring once it is returned back to him.

However, he did stress to me that a 5 stone ring in a shared prong setting may not be as secure and offer as much protection as other settings. Soxfan, and for those who have the 5 stone in a shared prong, do you feel that the stones are very secure, especially concerning the girdle?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke to Brian - and we will decide what to do with the ring once it is returned back to him.

However, he did stress to me that a 5 stone ring in a shared prong setting may not be as secure and offer as much protection as other settings. Soxfan, and for those who have the 5 stone in a shared prong, do you feel that the stones are very secure, especially concerning the girdle?

Right now your setting is also a shared prong style (two prongs extending over 2 diamonds) I would assume that Brian thought that you meant single shared prong, which yes, it would not be secure. I think it would be best if you send them inspiration picturs to avoid any miscommunication.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm i sent him over pictures of soxs and bliss’s 5 stone rings and he was looking at them while we were chatting. Maybe he meant those settings are less secure than a u prong setting??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results