carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring help, please!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and the suspense builds....

I have concerns about the size of the stones on the 4.25 finger size, as well.
I’m a 5.5, and I tried on different rings of different diamond sizes to determine comfort. 0.40ct would have to be set really low to the finger to be comfortable.
My 0.25ct Asschers on my 5.5 will just make the comfort level on my hand, set in the U-prong design.
I tried on 0.20, 0.30 & 0.40ct 5 stone rings, and that is how I was able to make the decision of size. My ring will be a 7 stone 2/3-3/4 Eternity.
My diamonds are more difficult to get in terms of identical size & proportions, and Yoram executed that, beautifully.
Rounds are far easier to match.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_9266.jpeg
Go with BGD, I bought a 5 stone from them about 6 years ago 2.8tcw. I had an existing 1.68tcw band from Lm that I wanted a big brother for. I gave my desired specs to Lesley and Brian and they made it happen. They found me 5 AGS F/VS2 stones and matched the design of the original setting.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - I decided to go with Brian Gavin.

All 5 stones are D, VS2, Black by Brian Gavin stones - with similar table width/crown height.

Being made as we speak, and I will post pictures when I get in a few weeks! :)

QueenFVS

Rough_Rock
:appl:...and so now we know looking forward to seeing your finished product!
Hi all - I decided to go with Brian Gavin.

All 5 stones are D, VS2, Black by Brian Gavin stones - with similar table width/crown height.

Being made as we speak, and I will post pictures when I get in a few weeks! :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did they give you a quoted timeline?
Are we talking a two-week, three week, four week waiting period?

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry, everyone, but I received my ring yesterday, and have decided to send it back.
The ring in itself, is absolutely stunning. The design is so beautiful, and the diamonds so white and sparkly. But I think .40 pointers are too big for my 4.25 hand (which I feared might happen). The width of the stones don't wrap around my hands nicely, and extended past the width of my fingers.

I've spoken to Brian Gavin and they recommend that I get .20 pointers. I don't know, to me, that seems a bit small (only because I love my bling!). I have asked for .30 pointers, and Jamie told me that it would look virtually identical to the .40s, as there would only be a .2 mm difference and I will not notice a drop in coverage. I have on this site, however, seen other pics of 1.5 tcw 5 stone rings, with my ring size, and I think I could handle it?

I don't know what size to go for - .20s? .25s? .30s? Please see picture attached, and any advice would be great!

GetAttachmentThumbnail

sugagrl

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry, everyone, but I received my ring yesterday, and have decided to send it back.
The ring in itself, is absolutely stunning. The design is so beautiful, and the diamonds so white and sparkly. But I think .40 pointers are too big for my 4.25 hand (which I feared might happen). The width of the stones don't wrap around my hands nicely, and extended past the width of my fingers.

I've spoken to Brian Gavin and they recommend that I get .20 pointers. I don't know, to me, that seems a bit small (only because I love my bling!). I have asked for .30 pointers, and Jamie told me that it would look virtually identical to the .40s, as there would only be a .2 mm difference and I will not notice a drop in coverage. I have on this site, however, seen other pics of 1.5 tcw 5 stone rings, with my ring size, and I think I could handle it?

I don't know what size to go for - .20s? .25s? .30s? Please see picture attached, and any advice would be great!

GetAttachmentThumbnail
Sorry you are sending your ring back. I debated between 1.25 vs 1.5 ctw and decided to go with 1.5ctw and am so glad I did. My finger size is between 4.25 & 4.5 and I got size 4.5 and my 1.5 ctw 5 stone has really good coverage and does not extend beyond the width of my finger. I think the ring is super comfortable and I’m glad I didn’t go any smaller in stone size.
E8A0E6EA-6305-4A45-B01E-C798877E6F6E.jpeg

For more pictures:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-stone-ring-from-idj.242168/

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have .30 on a 4.25 finger and it’s perfect!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just to update, I have received my ring back from Brian Gavin, and love it, it is super sparkly and shiny. I talked to Brian, and we decided to keep the .40s, as he said .30s would have made very little difference visually. What he suggested doing is making the ring less chunky looking and more delicate, and making the prongs and shank more delicate as well. The whole thing just looks better, more delicate and dainty, and wraps around my finger nicer!! See attached!!!

Any questions, please let me know. :) :) :)

PHOTO-2018-08-23-14-53-13.jpg

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

Well, I've been wearing my ring all day, and love it! It's comfortable to wear, and I can close my fingers,etc. Reading through some posts today, and I was wondering however, if I should ask Brian to make the setting more low, to provide even more comfort, and to see if he can taper in the sides of the diamonds, so that the stones wrap more around the finger, rather than lie straight across? Any advice would be great? Or maybe I should just keep it as is!! Might be just overanalysing things...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that BG was right in suggesting .20 stones in the first place after the first ring came out looking bar-like.

I have a 4.5 finger and there's NO way I could have done .40 stones and had it not hit between my other fingers or look like a "bar." Also, you are right, the stones do not seem to curve around your finger- they lay flat across. I don't think you are overanalyzing anything. It looks more like a bar, rather than wrapping around your finger.

I had to have IDJ make my 5 stone over because of wonky prongs, but they DO make a 5 stone that wraps around your finger beautifully and it looks proportional.

In my opinion, you really are going to have to go with .20 or .30 stones and trade in the others- OR find someone who can bump up the ring to sit up high off your finger. It will not sit low with those size stones.

IF I were you, I'd return it and have IDJ make it. The BG setting just doesn't seem to wrap around fingers the same way the IDJ does. I POURED over every single five stone setting for months before I decided to go with IDJ. I just loved the way they made Bliss's ring. They have the 5 stone down, even if you have to send it back for tweaking.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Well, I've been wearing my ring all day, and love it! It's comfortable to wear, and I can close my fingers,etc. Reading through some posts today, and I was wondering however, if I should ask Brian to make the setting more low, to provide even more comfort, and to see if he can taper in the sides of the diamonds, so that the stones wrap more around the finger, rather than lie straight across? Any advice would be great? Or maybe I should just keep it as is!! Might be just overanalysing things...
Which setting did you choose? There are different types of settings. BGD has the Dream setting which is sits very low. They can also create a closed basket setting with an opening on the bottom to let the culet sit below the metal. How low you can go will depend on the height of the stones. Do you know what is the depth of the stones?

Edit: my advice will also be that you take advantage of the full return period and wear it for a week or two. It is a large band and you have a small ring size. I am not sure that other settings will make much difference unless you have a u-prong setting, for example.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy. Feeling so sad this ring isn’t working out like I had hoped.

Thank you,everyone. This is a u prong setting. Jamie initially suggested .20s after I said I was not happy with the first ring, as the stones were too large and didn’t lay across my finger nicely. I kept saying I wanted to try .30s and she said that visually the difference between .30 and .40 is about .2mm difference so if I wanted to see any difference I should go .20s, even though I found that too small.

I then spoke to Brian himself, and told him I wanted to try .30s instead. He said to leave the .40s because a lot of women have shrinking diamond syndrome and he didn’t want that to happen to me. He also said that the first ring never should have been sent out to me the way it was, as too much metal was left on it. Instead, he suggested on modifying the ring by making it more delicate and not as chunky. He said that it best to do this way, trim the prongs, take away some of the metal, etc.

I don’t know. I really like the ring (it’s nicer than the first version), but don’t know if I love it, and for 9k, I should love it.

I don’t even know what the return policy would be, as they modified the setting? Even though I told them I thought the stones were too large and wanted the .30s!! I feel I wasn’t listened to. In my heart of hearts, I knew keeping the .40s would still be too big, but they were the experts, not me. Maybe I should have listened to myself more. Sigh. Any advice?

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy. Feeling so sad this ring isn’t working out like I had hoped.

Thank you,everyone. This is a u print setting. Jamie initially suggested .20s after I said I was not happy with the first ring, as the stones were too large and didn’t lay across my finger nicely. I kept saying I wanted to try .30s and she said that visually the difference between .30 and .40 is about .2mm difference so if I wanted to see any difference I should go .20s, even though I found that too small.

I then spoke to Brian himself, and told him I wanted to try .30s instead. He said to leave the .40s because a lot of women have shrinking diamond syndrome and he didn’t want that to happen to me. He also said that the first ring never should have been sent out to me the way it was, as too much metal was left on it. Instead, he suggested on modifying the ring by making it more delicate and not as chunky. He said that it best to do this way, trim the prongs, take away some of the metal, etc.

I don’t know. I really like the ring (it’s nicer than the first version), but don’t know if I love it, and for 9k, I should love it.

I don’t even know what the return policy would be, as they modified the setting? Even though I told them I thought the stones were too large and wanted the .30s!! Any advice?

I do love the stones that you have selected. The u-prong setting sits high and straight, so that doesn’t seem to be in line with what you want now. I am sure that BGD wants to make you happy, so if you are not pleased with the setting, I would ask them to change it to a very low set closed basket setting. (I would reference their Dream band) sometimes it takes to try on a ring to see if you really like how it fits or like the setting. I wouldn’t stress over it as it is fixable. The 30pts will make a difference, but Brian is right - shrinkage is real. I would personally see if you can swap the setting first before changing the diamonds.

For reference, here are two bands - one with 30pt, the other with 40pt on size 5.5

A92501D1-8E86-4D30-90D8-F47028E5D67B.jpeg E32F64AF-5B76-46F5-A62C-14282C947121.jpeg

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, the pics are helpful to see.

I like the exposed look of the u prong setting, and didn’t want a closed basket setting, as that is what I have for my wedding band, and wanted something different for a stand-alone right hand ring.

I had initially debated between BG and ID. Do you think it’s more a question of the style of the setting itself? As in, if I decided to work on this project with ID, the ring would look pretty similar, visually, since u prongs, by nature, sit high and straight? Or more of a design element, and BGs design is perhaps more straight across?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the exposed look of the u prong setting, and didn’t want a closed basket setting, as that is what I have for my wedding band, and wanted something different for a stand-alone right hand ring.

I had initially debated between BG and ID. Do you think it’s more a question of the style of the setting itself? As in, if I decided to work on this project with ID, the ring would look pretty similar, visually, since u prongs, by nature, sit high and straight? Or more of a design element, and BGs design is perhaps more straight across?

BGD have an excellent bench. I love IDJ and I think that they are great when it comes to sourcing bling on budget, but the closed basket setting that they have is very straight forward, I wouldn’t give it a second thought really.

Ok, I think that you might want two different things. Low set ring and an open profile which don’t really go well together. My advice would be that you wear the ring for a week and see how you feel about it after more than a few hours of wear. It’s a large band, you might just need to get used to wearing it, which is completely natural.

If you are still displeased, another option for a setting in an open basket Tiffany style setting. BGD have a similar style.

Here is a pic. You can see how there are little openings under each stone to allow the stone to sit very low. I tried this band with 50pt each and it was still super comfortable.

8D26B2F6-6AEB-46EE-A8F9-CD579769E0B9.jpeg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t even know what the return policy would be, as they modified the setting? Even though I told them I thought the stones were too large and wanted the .30s!! I feel I wasn’t listened to. In my heart of hearts, I knew keeping the .40s would still be too big, but they were the experts, not me. Maybe I should have listened to myself more. Sigh. Any advice?

It does sound like they didn't listen to you. I would call them and say exactly what you wrote above. And I think the .40 stones are too large, I would go with .30 stones.

I would explain your feelings about the ring "wrapping around your finger" to BG, perhaps they have another setting that would be better? What about the trellis setting?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, for reference, this is my IDJ shared prong 5 stone- 1.53 ctw on a size 4.5 finger

IMG_9667.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think that the stones are necessarily too large.
I have tried a five stone with 50pt and 60pt which is about the equivalent of 40pt on your size 4.25 and I thought they looked great and were comfy (pics below)

As I stated earlier, I think that your setting style choice conflicted with your desire for a low set band that curves. The dream setting/shared prong will work and also a bead set setting will ensure that the ring sits very low but might not be your style exactly.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../seven-stone-shared-prong-band-platinum-5391p
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...y-bands/bead-set-eternity-band-platinum-5433p
Or you could try the open basket 5 stone as that would still sit lower than your current U prong.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ity-bands/open-gallery-5-stone-platinum-5388p
60pt each
53A60A66-4343-416A-AA87-236229DEEE69.jpeg
50pt each
E4773B09-4FB3-442F-B977-7E4A3776D4E2.jpeg

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think that the stones are necessarily too large.
I have tried a five stone with 50pt and 60pt which is about the equivalent of 40pt on your size 4.25 and I thought they looked great and were comfy (pics below)

As I stated earlier, I think that your setting style choice conflicted with your desire for a low set band that curves. The dream setting/shared prong will work and also a bead set setting will ensure that the ring sits very low but might not be your style exactly.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../seven-stone-shared-prong-band-platinum-5391p
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...y-bands/bead-set-eternity-band-platinum-5433p
Or you could try the open basket 5 stone as that would still sit lower than your current U prong.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ity-bands/open-gallery-5-stone-platinum-5388p
60pt each
53A60A66-4343-416A-AA87-236229DEEE69.jpeg
50pt each
E4773B09-4FB3-442F-B977-7E4A3776D4E2.jpeg

I agree with Simone! Mine is a shared prong and I like how it curves. I know you said you didn't want one, but maybe that's your best bet for the larger stones? What do you think about those pictures? Do the stones still look too big to you in those settings?

QueenFVS

Rough_Rock
...and again I’m late to the party! My beloved Galatie, stay with 40 pointers, change the setting Across 5 stones you will see and feel the difference.
BGD=strong bench IDJ=bling on a budget.
#workingonthatnamechange

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Ahh, thank you for all of your responses.

Still trying to decide what to do. I actually didn't think that the .40s looked too big for my finger, but I felt that the stones did not wrap around my fingers, and I thought the main reason for that was because the stones were just a tad too big. I had never considered that maybe the stones are an ok size, and maybe the setting is more of an issue.

I adore 5 stone rings. My main criteria is that the ring is comfy to wear for everyday, and that the stones curve around the fingers nicely. Let me see if Brian can recommend any settings, as if I got a straight refund, I can return the stones, but the setting itself is not refundable, so would lose out on almost $2k, eeek!

Simone and Soxfan, your rings are both so absolutely gorgeous - can you please tell me what settings they are? Thank you!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Still trying to decide what to do. I actually didn't think that the .40s looked too big for my finger, but I felt that the stones did not wrap around my fingers, and I thought the main reason for that was because the stones were just a tad too big. I had never considered that maybe the stones are an ok size, and maybe the setting is more of an issue.

I adore 5 stone rings. My main criteria is that the ring is comfy to wear for everyday, and that the stones curve around the fingers nicely. Let me see if Brian can recommend any settings, as if I got a straight refund, I can return the stones, but the setting itself is not refundable, so would lose out on almost $2k, eeek!

Simone and Soxfan, your rings are both so absolutely gorgeous - can you please tell me what settings they are? Thank you!!!

I have worked with BGD for a while now and I know that they want their customers happy. If you are not satisfied with the setting, I suggest speaking up sooner than later.
I do not own a 5 stone ring unfortunately, but have tried on a few. The 5 stone with 60pt was a closed basket shared prong . The 50pt 5 stone band was Tiffany's open basket shared prong setting, the one pictured below:
8D26B2F6-6AEB-46EE-A8F9-CD579769E0B9.jpeg

galatie

Shiny_Rock
And I am a total ring novice.

Can someone explain why a low setting and open profile wouldn't work well together?

For a ring where the stones curve around the fingers, what are your thoughts on a u prong vs shared prong setting? Is one setting better than the other for bigger stones?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure where they're getting 'only .2mm of difference'. An ideal cut .3ct diamond is roughly 4.35mm in diameter. An ideal cut .4ct diamond is roughly 4.75. The difference is clearly noticeable, and adds to 2mm in total - a significant difference on your finger if overall width is an issue.

I think the 5 x .3 diamonds look great, the .4's are too large and the .2's are too small. But like Goldilocks said - "The .3ct diamonds are juuuust right!"

Well, she said something like that, anyway....chick was into porridge more than diamonds, but who am I to judge?

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you. Mine is the shared prong setting by IDJ- I specified the "bliss" as it sits low and curves around the finger nicely. Here is a thread on the bliss' ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-id-jewelry-5-stone-ring-hubba-hubba.138853/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results