shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring help, please!!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am still trying to decide between getting a 5 stone u prong ring from either ID Jewelry or Brian Gavin.

Brian Gavin is more expensive by about $1500, but all the stones would be Black by Brian Gavin diamonds. On the other hand, ID Jewelry is cheaper, but I am not sure their craftsmanship is quite as good?

In addition, I am looking for 5 stones, .40 each, VS2, and D in colour. I am looking for all the stones to be identical. Or is there a range they can fall in where it would not make a difference visually? Ie, one stone being .40 and one stone being .42? My ring size is 4.25, so hoping it will look nice!

What else do I need to consider when making this purchase?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both vendors, but for the price difference and considering such large stones, I would absolutely go with BGD. Their craftsmanship is beautiful!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 5 stone ring from BG, and I love it. I’m sure IDJ could make a nice one as well. Mine is only 1 carat total weight with each stone being 0.2 carats. My ring size is small as well at 4.5. I’m sure either jeweler can advise you whether 0.4 carat stones are a good size to use with such a small ring size.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, SimoneDi.

Would it look better if all 5 stones are absolutely identical (Brian Gavin said they could custom cut me 5 stones if I wanted to do it this way), or is some variation ok (ie, it will not be noticeable).

galatie

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous, coda!!

Did you ask Brian Gavin to make any adjustments to the setting, or purchased as originally designed?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
From what I remember it’s just as originally designed. I’ve had it for about 8 years, so I don’t remember all of the details, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a custom ring.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for all the stones to be identical. Or is there a range they can fall in where it would not make a difference visually? Ie, one stone being .40 and one stone being .42?

I think its equally important that the stones have similar crown height and table size for them to look "the same".

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, if you don't mind spending the extra $1500 with BGD go for it!

My mom would. I'm different - I'd take the $1500 and go buy a dbty lolol.

One thing to verify with both vendors is if they have a buy back and/or upgrade policy with these diamonds. (Settings are usually scrapped)

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone!!

Is it worth getting the 5 stones custom cut? The only problem with that is that I will not be able to return the stones then, but is it worth it?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone!!

Is it worth getting the 5 stones custom cut? The only problem with that is that I will not be able to return the stones then, but is it worth it?
No, get some of the stock diamonds. Even mixing D and E is totally fine. BGD already cuts their stones to a pretty strict criteria, so you will not see much of a diviation between the stones. I would look for similar measurements and as rocky said, similar tables/crown heights.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Brian Gavin have advised me that if I want 5 truly identical stones, the best option is for them to custom cut the diamonds for me. They said that the price is the same as buying stock diamonds. I am concerned, however, that because it's a customized item, I will not be allowed to return the ring, if I am unhappy with it. On the other hand, if I go with 5 stones which are stock diamonds, I will be covered under their standard 15 day return policy.

Any thoughts of whether to get custom cut or stock diamonds from BG?

In addition, time is a bit of an issue, since I need to have this ring made by August... Perhaps it would take too long to source out five .40 carat stones with the specs that I want, and thus, the custom cutting option is better?

Any opinions please!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin have advised me that if I want 5 truly identical stones, the best option is for them to custom cut the diamonds for me. They said that the price is the same as buying stock diamonds. I am concerned, however, that because it's a customized item, I will not be allowed to return the ring, if I am unhappy with it. On the other hand, if I go with 5 stones which are stock diamonds, I will be covered under their standard 15 day return policy.

In addition, time is a bit of an issue, since I need to have this ring made by August... Perhaps it would take too long to source out five .40 carat stones with the specs that I want, and thus, the custom cutting option is better?

Any opinions please!
Ask both BGD and IDJ what their turnaround time is for stock diamonds.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:cheeky:

Any opinions please!

I would go with BGD available stock. IRL any small differences between the stones will not be distinguishable by the naked eye. I have had the pleasure of meeting Brian Gavin and his team in person. Brian is a perfectionist which is why he has adviced you that if you want 100% identical stones, then custom cutting is the way to go. However, I am pretty certain that you will not see any difference should you use their currently available diamonds. I would get their available diamonds and you can always do custom cutting if you are not happy with the results ;-) (which I doubt will be the case)

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I would go Brian Gavin but for another reason... he can keep building the ring. My friend started exactly what you are doing. She loved it so much she kept building her ring and made it into a huge eternity ring. That is all she wears and it is blingy and looks great.

So...in case you might consider doing that, I am sure Brian Gavin can keep building on it with more stones.

Good luck!

MegWeddingIdeas

Rough_Rock
Trade
hey,

I believe they would probably both provide with beautiful quality, if you can get either of the them to
provide with diamond certificates that would be ideal.

If you can compare in between the two, that would be your best bet.

In any case, love the design its just stunning!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without trying to sound rude, why must the stones be identical? Even at .4 each, you will not see the small difference in angles within a branded line (if super observant, you might see them between lines). If you work with BGD within their line, you already have narrowed the acceptable variation quite a bit (the same would be true with WF or HPD's lines). So, just tell them you want very well match D VS2 with Crown angle and table size very close. I would not get these custom cut unless you intend to examine these under a microscope and have highly accurate measuring devices. If you go stock and don't like it, you can return it. If you go custom, you have no alternative. Seems very clear to me which is safer.

Last edited:

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Ok, thank you for the advice.

I thought that getting custom cut stones from Brian Gavin would get me the most identical stones possible - as I'm pretty picky about symmetry and things like that. Plus, the fact that it would not cost more to custom cut the 5 stones was also a big plus.

However, if you say that the acceptable variation between the 5 stones with BG will not be noticeable at eye level, then I might just go with getting stock diamonds and asking them to match them very well, thank you!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:cheeky:

I would go with BGD available stock. IRL any small differences between the stones will not be distinguishable by the naked eye. I have had the pleasure of meeting Brian Gavin and his team in person. Brian is a perfectionist which is why he has adviced you that if you want 100% identical stones, then custom cutting is the way to go. However, I am pretty certain that you will not see any difference should you use their currently available diamonds. I would get their available diamonds and you can always do custom cutting if you are not happy with the results ;-) (which I doubt will be the case)

I think that's key here! How discerning is your eye? Can you ignore any small variations *if* you even see any? At the end of the day, that ring is going to pack quite a punch, so I think stock diamonds will suit your needs just as well.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be more concerned about fitment and comfort of those size of stones on that size finger than any microscopic differences btw BGD signature or black stones.

Claire's or the like probably would not have a similar size "cheapie" for you to try out. But you could cut out five 4.7 mm circles (maybe 5mm to incorporate prongs) that are 2.83mm high off your finger (probably higher to allow for the metal band to circle under the stones) and tape them to your finger (or make play doh balls) to give you an idea.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone. This forum is so helpful!

I have been thinking of getting this ring for over a year now, I just need to get the courage to pull the trigger!

Brian Gavin have sourced these 5 stones for my ring. Are they similar enough? Can you please give me your thoughts, as I know virtually nothing about diamonds!

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.411-d-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104099554017
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.420-d-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104097387062
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.406-e-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104099554020
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details /0.400-e-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104099554018
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.417-d-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104097387061

galatie

Shiny_Rock
So I have decided to get stock diamonds. I am a tad nervous that the 2 ct might be too big on my 4.25 hand, and feel better knowing that I can return the diamonds if that's the case.

I will ask Brian Gavin to try to get in 5 very closely matching D, VS2 stones - in regards to table width and crown height, can someone please tell me what sort of parameters I should be looking into when deciding?

Thank you very much!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have decided to get stock diamonds. I am a tad nervous that the 2 ct might be too big on my 4.25 hand, and feel better knowing that I can return the diamonds if that's the case.

I will ask Brian Gavin to try to get in 5 very closely matching D, VS2 stones - in regards to table width and crown height, can someone please tell me what sort of parameters I should be looking into when deciding?

Thank you very much!

Honestly, I think that is going to be WAY too big for your finger and those stones will definitely hit the sides of your other fingers, and that could be uncomfortable. I wear a 4.5 and I am going with a 1.25 ctw and would even be fine with 1 ctw. Go try on different 5 stone bands locally if you can!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3547.JPG

For some comparison, although on a bigger finger size 7 3/4, the diamonds are 4 .38ct each

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3550.JPG

This is the four stone from the picture above with a 5 stone with .32ct each diamond

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a thought. You have chosen your retailer, and have concerns about parameters etc.

One of the reasons you chose this retailer is his reputation for doing it right.

I suggest picking up the phone and talking over your concerns. I bet you will feel much better about things and he will understand better what your concerns are and how best to serve you.

Wink

QueenFVS

Rough_Rock
...and so..?? Dying to know how the ring ultimately turned out?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Did you end up getting a BG 5 stone or IDJ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results