shape
carat
color
clarity

5 carat 8 main cushion— warm color?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ahhh! I was thinking that pic was a 2 ct one! I actually looked at your most recent thread to show her your newest cushion, but none of the pics were enlarged enough to show her the facet pattern! Still two of the best antique cushions to date.
still dying to see that ring @Resonance.Of.Life =)2

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 That stone was from either Grace or JBEG. I think it might belong to a PSer. Maybe Redwood? I've forgotten, but I saved it because it was a good example of a nice antique cushion. I just think it's important for people to see what a quality antique cut looks like. You are also right about symmetry grading by GIA. I was commenting on how the stone didn't appearing be symmetrically cut in general.
Thank you @diamondseeker2006. The post about symmetry was to the OP, since she commented about the report stating only good symmetry. I was trying to explain that I don't believe that is the problem that is causing the disorganized appearance in the bottom half of the stone.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 my mistake :D

still dying to see that ring @Resonance.Of.Life =)2

haha- just got it appraised by David Wolf of Just Appraisers. Needless to say I am very happy with the color grade and his impression of the high quality unique setting. Going to send my ring back for my complete set of guards along with the ring.. so it might not be still Spring that I get the full set back.

OP: What faceting pattern are you looking for in a cushion?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 my mistake :D

haha- just got it appraised by David Wolf of Just Appraisers. Needless to say I am very happy with the color grade and his impression of the high quality unique setting. Going to send my ring back for my complete set of guards along with the ring.. so it might not be still Spring that I get the full set back.

OP: What faceting pattern are you looking for in a cushion?

I look forward to seeing it and you have the patience of a saint during this long process. Have you had much chance to enjoy it before phase 2?

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
If you can figure out how to take a video I’d love to see one. Everyone has provided good information here.

Personally, I think the color of this stone is beautiful, not too warm. It looks like it has a happy yellow tone. I think it looks very nice with both the much whiter diamonds you’ve got in your other pieces, and a white metal like platinum or unplated white gold.

My main concern would be CUT. Do you like the cut? Does looking at this diamond make you happy? When you look at it does it feel like something is “wrong” or “right”. Does excellent cut matter to you, or does the size/diameter, color, performance and shape of this stone still impress you?

What I’m seeing is faceting under the table that is disorganized. But not unattractive. The table looks slightly large for a cushion. I don’t know quite what I’m seeing (is the lack of crisp faceting inclusions or cut?) so I’d love to see dimensions/lab report and a video. But if YOU like it in person, I think there’s something to be said about affordable SIZE, in a beautiful color old cut. Yeah!

Thank you for your comment. I do like it but since this is going to be my former stone, I am just trying to be as sure as I can be. I took the stone outside today and I loved in more than indoor. Here is the brides of it indoor though with movements.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I just love this forum after a long day of work, I know I can destress by checking out everyone’s knowledgeable inputs. Many of you are right, I feel that this is not a perfectly perfect cut stone, but for some reason, I feel that this is somehow right, in a odd way. I am trying to upload a video and it says that the size is too big. Today I took it out under the sun and it was beautiful! I did look at OWD and jbG and nothing that is in the low 30k’s and 5 carat. This one is more as well but not hugely more. I put it in a tapered baguette setting today and as much as I love the Harry Winston look of the Tampered baguette and cushion, something did not feel right. The warmth of the stone did not look right with the setting. If someone can show me how to upload a video, I would love to share with everyone.
I don’t need a stone to be a perfectly cut, I know this is against many views here but personally, love a big size and the cushiony shape of the stone more so long as it is not a terrible cut. I just need to do my homework to make sure what else is out there for 5 carat in this range of M,L color and what the prices are to make the most informed decision. Thank you All so far.

DS, thanks for posting a couple options from Grace’s site, I like the 3.8carat shape and cut but I feel I may get DSS soon after. I know it’s crazy.

ROL, I am not sure if I have a facet in mind, just something chunky looking.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RE. DSS

The main stone is of similar size & there are a few more around: WWW

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

RE. DSS

The main stone is of similar size & there are a few more around: WWW

FYI Valeria, please re-post link. It doesn’t work.

OP, One thing I thought of is that you MIGHT be able to recut the stone you are considering to get a “better” cut in the future. Of course you’d lose weight, but potentially not diameter. And, I’d only buy a diamond especially an expensive one, if you like it in its current condition.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LightBright Thank for the hint !

Link corrected: WWW

___

Re. recut ... If this is a consideration, I'd ask about the potential, since the stone is not deep at all; I'd say its present state of symmetry works better with its proportions than a perfect modern cut would... 2c

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LightBright Thank for the hint !

Link corrected: WWW

___

Re. recut ... If this is a consideration, I'd ask about the potential, since the stone is not deep at all; I'd say its present state of symmetry works better with its proportions than a perfect modern cut would... 2c
The Ruby ring is gorgeous!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Ruby ring is gorgeous!

True !

I have not seen a diamond version of this, although it is classical enough ... (at least in NY ? - never knew it as well as LM !) - @mrs-b mentioned it as a potential lately.

This diamond seems even more fit for the design - a cushion, cut not unlike some coloured stones might be; the set of diamonds for the halo would be a project by themselves - perhaps not complicated, but ... this wouldn't be a disposable setting ... [thinking out loud]

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
I have a k that's 4.71 antique cushion and I couldn't be anymore in love with the diamond! I had it made with 18k with a 22k wash and it's a dream. I also live in Washington state and sunshine is rare :) another on of my favorites is 2.25 oec M and mmmmmm I love buttery tones! I love my white diamonds too but I gotta admit, my heart likes the warmer ones the most!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 5.34 carat L, which faces up whiter than the one you are looking at. The good thing I guess about stones that big is that you don't suffer from DSS any time soon....

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Minimountains and arkieb1- thank you for your responses. I have been looking at all post for larger antique cushions and warm color and I realized that the one I looked at was not well cut for antique. I am now looking a a beautiful antique cushion but it’s in a o/p range color. Now I am not sure if that is too warm? In your search, how did you feel about that color range— did you come across it? Both your stones are much higher in color, hence I think they look super white to me!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such diamonds should not this hard to find - WWW

Very few large NOPQR around here ! You must have noticed - 4.45 O-P OEM

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I am learning a lot from all of your comments.
IMO, I can only offer up this:
Are you happy with the diamond? I think it's gorgeous, but you are the only one that has to be in love with it. (kind of like a husband).
Does it bring a smile to your face? If your're not sure, and are going to be looking for other possibilities, then it probably isn't the one. I understand that it is a big commitment monetarily, so keep looking if it will make you feel better.
I personally like the subtle warmth against the whiter stones. Great contrast, with personality.
Good luck in your quest!!!:appl::wavey:

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
If you set your warmer stone in 18k yellow gold it will look beautiful. If you set you stone in white gold or platinum, it's really going to show the color difference and I don't think I would go for that option. I'm always partial to yg. I like 18k with a 22k wash myself! Buttery! The warmest stone I own in a M but given a chance, I'd be just as happy with warmer too.
A lot of ppl on here pride themselves on white diamonds and that is great but some of us love the warm tones too! I have grace source most of my collection (jewels by grace).

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
To my eye- I think it's beautiful and I'd be a happy lady! Love the culet! modern cut lovers will say otherwise... I'll never own a modern cut diamond!

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
IMG_8053.PNG IMG_8054.jpg ven my k faces up white in most lighting, as will yours.
I'm sure I have photos someplace on pricescope or my M colored stone. That one is currently be converted into a pinky ring!

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpg
    IMG_8055.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
My grammar was terrible in above post ha ha. We need an edit button

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is a gorgeous stone!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I am being super indecisive but here is the o/p next to my colorless band.
Do you think it looks odd together given the difference in modern and old cuts and white and tinted from the band and antique cushion, respectively?
Any inputs from you all are appreciated!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot see the picture next to the band.

No complaint about this sort of contrast, however !

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rather love that both colour & cut are different. Admitedly, the idea has been planted in my head by a certain ring - www - of F French & (just) L cushion - perhaps unusual enough in every way so that the colour miss-match does not even stand out as a particularly outré feature.

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
I would have no problem wearing those together. They contrast well side by side.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This O/P is very nice, I have an O/P stone that I had paired with E/Fs; this is my avatar. There is nothing wrong with contrast and you have found a lovely stone

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Personally I wouldn't do it. The difference would drive me crazy, and just emphasize the tint.
But my opinion is also based in the fact that I'm not a fan of the lower color diamonds, even in antique stones.

But what about you? Do you like the contrast?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results