shape
carat
color
clarity

5 carat 8 main cushion— warm color?

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
05DC430E-801F-4EE5-83AB-43F4BE73C05B.jpeg I am starting to love the antique-y look of cushions after having been in this site for some time and seeing everyone’s beauty. Also, I have a DSS prob and I am considering this 5 carat L color stone. What do you think about the color? How is the L? What do you think of the cut of the stone with the picture here? Any recommendation on a setting that would complement the warmth?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think L is very warm, go a platinum setting. This is gorgeous.:love:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally love L stones, do you have the stats on this stone? The size is obviously great!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
CB6D34FD-600F-4996-8DB3-C851A77D192C.jpeg Here is a picture of the L in a stonehder with a J emerald and my colorless wedding band. Do you all think there is too much contrast between the cushiiknand the band? I am not going to change my wedding band so what kind of setting besides platinum should I do for the L to make it more complementary of one another?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICE contrast !

The L has a happy yellow shade in the picture and the EC looks colourless from my side of the screen.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wild guess: the cushion is not very deep & large for its mere 5 carats ?

(what I see: a refkection of the girdle on the pavilion, indicative of pavilion main angle up to 40-ish; could be wrong)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely but only you know what color you can tolerate.

I'm not sure if people will even pay much attention to the diamond band with a 5 carat rock on your finger...I do see a contrast but not that bad IMO
as long as you dont feel like you have to have matchy-matchy color.

Is it weird for me to like lower colored stones in old cuts than colorless? When I see a colorless old cut it just seems out of place to me...like something
is just not quite right...but those are my own odd feelings!:roll2:

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
One more:

Nice side-stones ! It does look beautiful as a solitaire also.
Thank you Valeria101! The stone is about 60% depth so you’re right, it’s not very deep. Does it look like a nice cut or should I keep looking? My budget is about 30K and this is more than that, do you think I could get a stone that is around the low 30k range for 5 carat with 8 main that is better? What kind of solitaire do you think I should set something like this?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color. If you are unsure about it next to your band perhaps try it on with a metal or colored stone stacker and see how that looks to your eye. Since you asked, something about the cut looks assymetrical to me. How does it look in real life? Maybe the stone is tilted in the pic? It’s really hard to find old cut stones at this size so there are trade offs. I haven’t seen a 5ct old cut in the low $30s, but that doesn’t mean you can’t keep looking and might find one.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
You can see the color in the cushion on it's own, and you can see the contrast with your band. If you're alright with that, or just like warmer color stones, then go for it. But if you're going to doubt or wonder about it, then pass.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks lovely but only you know what color you can tolerate.

I'm not sure if people will even pay much attention to the diamond band with a 5 carat rock on your finger...I do see a contrast but not that bad IMO
as long as you dont feel like you have to have matchy-matchy color.

Is it weird for me to like lower colored stones in old cuts than colorless? When I see a colorless old cut it just seems out of place to me...like something
is just not quite right...but those are my own odd feelings!:roll2:

Tyty, I feel the same way with old cuts and warm color. That is is expected or should look tinted if it is an old cut vs modern cuts need to be more or less colorless. But that is my feeling. Any advise on setting? Should I set in a vintage-y setting to go with the stone — although it may not look nice with the band.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
BEEF755B-81E3-42B3-B164-F7E8207BB1A3.png
I like the color. If you are unsure about it next to your band perhaps try it on with a metal or colored stone stacker and see how that looks to your eye. Since you asked, something about the cut looks assymetrical to me. How does it look in real life? Maybe the stone is tilted in the pic? It’s really hard to find old cut stones at this size so there are trade offs. I haven’t seen a 5ct old cut in the low $30s, but that doesn’t mean you can’t keep looking and might find one.
Thanks for your advice. Here is a picture of the stone with a plain band?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that the coloring is very nice for an L. It looks quite white in some of your photos and only a little warm/creamy in others. But only you can decide if the color will bother you. Warmth is to be expected and part of the charm of an antique stone IMHO.

If you opt for a vintage setting, I would not wear it with the current band. I think the styles would clash too much.

I don't believe that you would be able to find a 5ct for in the $30K's

Best of luck with your project

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, it's so beautiful. I love the contrast personally and I love the warmth. I'd do platinum

if you're second guessing it and not thinking "OMG YAYYYYY!", then maybe you're not ready to commit just yet?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As I have an N color OEC, I just can tell you, you won't see the color in every lightning situation, but there are some, when you are going to see it.
On the other hand I think the contrast between the cushion and your band is just beautiful! I really like it, but of course it is a question of your color torelance and your liking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind the color at all, but I don't think it will go with that wedding band. If those are modern rounds in the band, it just isn't going to go well with an antique diamond in a much lower color. I have to be honest and say that the cut doesn't appear to be very good. The outer shape doesn't look symmetrical to me, and the facet pattern is not pleasing. I would not buy a 5 ct stone that isn't a great cut, because it is going to be more apparent in that size.

Here's an example of a great one. Maybe the pics above just aren't accurately showing the details. But there's no way I'd buy an antique cushion unless it had a cut as good or better than this one, as an example.

antiquecushion.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Your stone made my heart skip a beat a little. It is stunning!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I Have a round brilliant D color and now I appreciate the warmer tone and antique looking stones.
I do feel as though there is strong contrast with my current wedding band so that is the only hesitation.. although I just love the chunky look of it.
DS, thanks for sharing a great looking antique cushion, that is gorgeous. The stone I am looking at symetry is only “good”, so that is why you are seeing what you are seeing.
Do you know if the stone you shared the pic is for sale? I feel that at this carat weight, the price can be insane and I am just trying to be realistic with what I can get.
Thanks everyone, I am certainly loving the lower color more and more and really do appreciate everyone’s input.
I will try to take picture of the stone in the sunlight or different lighting to see the color change before I make up my mind.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were after a larger antique stone and had your budget, I'd be contacting Old World Diamonds, Jewels By Grace and Love Affair Diamonds to see what they have in stock or could find for me. It looks like they have quite a few options in your budget. Ivy and Rose Vintage and Parks Fine Group may have some options as well

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that stone was sold quite awhile ago, and it wasn't in the size range you're looking at anyway. I just saved the picture as a good example of a nicely cut antique cushion. I would encourage you to look at more antique cushions because you just might find that a smaller, better cut one might be more appealing.

Here are some 3+ ct antique stones just to give you some more to look at:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/diamonds/3-01-ct-and-up

This one looks like it is better cut than the one you are looking at and a color grade higher:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-81ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs2

A color grade lower but large and well cut:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/5-76ct-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-m-si

The stone you are looking at has a GIA report?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Valeria101! The stone is about 60% depth so you’re right, it’s not very deep. Does it look like a nice cut or should I keep looking? My budget is about 30K and this is more than that, do you think I could get a stone that is around the low 30k range for 5 carat with 8 main that is better? What kind of solitaire do you think I should set something like this?

It does look very nice. I tend to admire these relatively assymetrical diamonds that 'work' (i.e. there is no obvious dim or dark patch in them), appreciating that there are a million more adjustments for the cutter to make in a stone like this, than in a modern symmetrical one (not that those are trivial, for sure).

Setting ... The stone looks great in white metal, doesn't it ! Yesterday, I found myself looking for the AoP 'Rachel' setting after seeing your post (there are a few pictures online & none great). If you want some variation, perhaps have the band of the ring in YG ... - just a thought: something to 'pick up' the colour.

Will you be wearing it alone often ? Then, the sides would be nice ! (else, the diamond band adds enough & more) [They'd fit your EC too, now that I'm thinking ,-) ]

The only thing I would not do with such a stone would be a strict geometrical setting - for exaple, an octagonal or square bezel, Deco-style: it seems difficult to get the contrast with the stone's soft symmetry right ... & wouldn't know how today.

Options ...

I have no idea about 30K options with such a distinctive cut ! Would drop a line at GemConcepts & ask. The shop ('Boutique') is new & there seem to be new diamonds comming up every day. Since they are made there, perhaps you will have choices unlikely / impossible elsewhere.

_____
Disclaimer due: ... always liked pastel colours in any precious stone despite knowing what is ostensibly better & sure do have a soft spot for GemConcepts !

Last edited:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - That stone is gorgeous!!! Is it one of Grace's? It looks familiar.

@diamondlove123
The stone I am looking at symetry is only “good”, so that is why you are seeing what you are seeing.
I may be incorrect, but it was my understanding that the symmetry grade was based on how the facets meet, not R-L symmetry. Experts please correct me if that is not accurate.

The stone that you pictured has facets that are not organized as precisely into an 8 main pattern or maybe the angles are impacting the reflection. In the photo with the EC ring you can see the large facets at 9,12,3, but the bottom half appears disorganized.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, but not sure how to post a pic on here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 That stone was from either Grace or JBEG. I think it might belong to a PSer. Maybe Redwood? I've forgotten, but I saved it because it was a good example of a nice antique cushion. I just think it's important for people to see what a quality antique cut looks like. You are also right about symmetry grading by GIA. I was commenting on how the stone didn't appearing be symmetrically cut in general.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry. I posted a round and not a cushion. But that site has cushions, too.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your input. I Have a round brilliant D color and now I appreciate the warmer tone and antique looking stones.
I do feel as though there is strong contrast with my current wedding band so that is the only hesitation.. although I just love the chunky look of it.
DS, thanks for sharing a great looking antique cushion, that is gorgeous. The stone I am looking at symetry is only “good”, so that is why you are seeing what you are seeing.
Do you know if the stone you shared the pic is for sale? I feel that at this carat weight, the price can be insane and I am just trying to be realistic with what I can get.
Thanks everyone, I am certainly loving the lower color more and more and really do appreciate everyone’s input.
I will try to take picture of the stone in the sunlight or different lighting to see the color change before I make up my mind.

If you can figure out how to take a video I’d love to see one. Everyone has provided good information here.

Personally, I think the color of this stone is beautiful, not too warm. It looks like it has a happy yellow tone. I think it looks very nice with both the much whiter diamonds you’ve got in your other pieces, and a white metal like platinum or unplated white gold.

My main concern would be CUT. Do you like the cut? Does looking at this diamond make you happy? When you look at it does it feel like something is “wrong” or “right”. Does excellent cut matter to you, or does the size/diameter, color, performance and shape of this stone still impress you?

What I’m seeing is faceting under the table that is disorganized. But not unattractive. The table looks slightly large for a cushion. I don’t know quite what I’m seeing (is the lack of crisp faceting inclusions or cut?) so I’d love to see dimensions/lab report and a video. But if YOU like it in person, I think there’s something to be said about affordable SIZE, in a beautiful color old cut. Yeah!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
The stone @diamondseeker2006 posted a pic of was my former 4 carat GIA K from OWD. I consigned the stone with Grace of Jewels by Grace and it sold 3 yrs ago... I think. It looks like Margeaux :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone @diamondseeker2006 posted a pic of was my former 4 carat GIA K from OWD. I consigned the stone with Grace of Jewels by Grace and it sold 3 yrs ago... I think. It looks like Margeaux :)

Ahhh! I was thinking that pic was a 2 ct one! I actually looked at your most recent thread to show her your newest cushion, but none of the pics were enlarged enough to show her the facet pattern! Still two of the best antique cushions to date.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results