shape
carat
color
clarity

4.75 namibian mandarin garnet - help me design!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Ohh lookit all the pretties! I love them all!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! I :love: that spess! I'm insanely jealous, what a buy!! :lickout: Your sapphire has a very nice color too. :appl:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys, it means a lot to hear from the experts! ::) I am so so in love with this stone, and she will be my big project of the year. Going to explore all my options before putting her in a permanant home.

The other stuff will get their own thread once I get a chance to take more pics. Got myself a little skittles collections and i want more! The reason I haven't posted anything before is because i feel like i'm in the minors trying to keep up with the big boys. Colored stones can be pretty intimidating!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for you! I, too, bought some things from Dana, very nice stones, much better than in his photos and the only reason I am not posting them is that I am afraid of spoiling the impression by my cr.py photography. Dana's has a nice, very gentlemanly style of communication.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have come back so many times to look at the pictures...I have no really good suggestions on what to do with it, but cannot wait to see what you come up with.

Laura

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Right now i'm going back and forth between a very thin halo w/ double band, or a solitaire type setting with diamonds on the shank.

The halo will look something like this, but without the cup/height. http://www.africagems.com/gemstone-ring-e-24andrew.html

The solitaire look will have the shank gradually widening up as it approaches the garnet, to balance the size so it doesn't look like a spaceship. Sort of like this but with rounds in the shank: http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=505

It will be made for my middle finger so my mom can wear it as well. luckily her ring finger is the same as my middle finger! and if i get fat in the future, i wont have to size it up... :bigsmile:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Loving that last one! I love the halo...but the idea of the solitaire look is gorgeous too...well it would be hard to make this stone look bad.

:love: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With colour like that, I would prefer it in a solitaire style to allow the stone to shine on its own. I can't stop looking at your pictures again. :love:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I feel like the orange/yellow/pinks kind of gets lost in my skin tone since I have a yellowish tint. a really thin halo breaks up the blending and sort of allows the orange to come out more. is that weird?

Today is a hazy day so no good pics. I'll try tomorrow if it's sunny.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh what the heck, this is what i took today. couldn't get any head on shots because my big head would block what little light is left.

Forte says hi, and he wants some fanta too!

IMG_2615.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
my round spess doesn't perform too well when it's almost dark. ;(

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new stone really holds it's color!! It's really beautiful, thanks for the extra photos.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Worth coming back to see this morning, new pics!

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto with everyone else; your new spessartite looks to be of finer quality than the round in the ring as it maintains the same orange colour (no browning out or turning yellow) under various lighting conditions.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHOA!!! :love: :love: :love:

Yeah I would go with a ring! The color is really something else! Being I'm darker (and I look great in orange! :tongue: ) I would do a solitaire because its certainly big and bold enough to stand on its own. But if you're worried about color clashing with your skin, a thin halo would work well to break it up IMO.

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Just. Wow. :o

All of your new pretties are amazing, but that mandarin garnet is TDF. And I love your ideas for setting it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ForteKitty:

While I agree with everyone that it is a beautiful stone, I think it is just way too big for your hands; my hands, on the other hand, happen to be just right... :naughty:

It is truely a gorgeous stone and will look lovely. It seems to me you can't go wrong either way, with or without a halo.

And your other rings are gorgeous, particularly the sapphire - good job!

Who is in the background jealously guarding your gems?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
thank you, thank you, thank you guys!! :bigsmile:

Minous, that is Forte, my ball of fur. He likes to get into everything and wanted a piece of the action. or he just wanted to eat my gems. either way, he aint gettin it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't have anything original to add, ForteKitty. Just wanted to say what a GORGEOUS stone you have! That purchase was really meant to be. It kind of reminds me of Arjunajane's luck in finding that beautiful diamond on ebay.

It looks very pretty on your hand and I can't wait to see it set!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Voting again for a ring. Thanks for posting extra photos. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're careful with your jewelry, I would do a ring. Spessartites and other garnets are prone to chipping. Otherwise it would make for a magnificent pendant. I'm so very impressed with this gem, I can't tell you how much!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
WOW, a nearly 5 ct. Namibian spess of that color, cut and clarity for $600???? :love: :love: :love:

Lucky girl!!! I'm so happy that you snagged that beauty!!!

It is truly gorgeous, and the color seems to be burning from within.

And no, it's not too big for a ring. It needs to be admired and oogled from the hand. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results