shape
carat
color
clarity

4.75 namibian mandarin garnet - help me design!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I just received this, and I am in love!! (no real pics yet since it was dark when i opened the package) http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5968

It's a pretty large stone (11.2 x 8.4mm), and I have size 3.25 fingers (13.5mm across), so maybe a pendant? But i really really want to see it too.. do you guys think it'd be too big for my finger?

help me come up with some designs!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty said:
I just received this, and I am in love!! (no real pics yet since it was dark when i opened the package) http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5968

It's a pretty large stone (11.2 x 8.4mm), and I have size 3.25 fingers (13.5mm across), so maybe a pendant? But i really really want to see it too.. do you guys think it'd be too big for my finger?

help me come up with some designs!

No design help, just wanted to say you're incredibly lucky to snag such a large mandarin, especially if it's really from Namibia, let alone at such a shocking low price, and precision cut to boot!!! :-o

I'm very very very jealous! :twisted:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I wondered who had gotten that! Such a wonderful color, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad to see that stone again! I was looking at it myself...beautiful! Cannot wait to see it set.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, ForteKitty, it’s gorgeous and so well priced that you made me send an inquiry too. I say to heck with having a pendant for that large stone; it deserves to be seen and admired by you so it should be a ring stone. If concerned about size, then a plain metal setting to let the colour shine on its own.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful purchase Fortekitty, I too am incredibly jealous. :love: I visit the site everyday but evidently at the wrong hours.

I think it's not too big for a ring, if your fingers are long you can wear it on the middle figer, it'll sure be a wonderful statement piece.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you!!! I was left with my jaw hanging open when I saw that. Good buy! I'm jealous as well as happy for you. I vote for a ring, that one needs to be admired! :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!
What a tremendously lucky find!
Since it is quite big and your fingers are small I would take that as a motif, play it up, go east west with the stone.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous! What a great find.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys so much! i was very shocked it was still available too... i went on there to look up the return policy because i wanted to return something, and saw that on the side. Really did not think it was still available, but i checked out anyway and crossed my fingers!

It does have some inclusions so I do worry about its safety if worn in a ring, but i wonder if i'm being over-cautious.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very gorgeous stone! saw it, tried to buy it, couldn't buy it.

glad it went to a pricescoper!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a Namibian stone, it's very very clean, and I don't think the inclusions will be eye distracting at all. That's one of the best buys I've seen in a long time on PS, and there have been some great deals on gems. You must post pictures when you receive it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
cut and color trumps inclusions. enjoy!

MoZo

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, i'm dont mind the inclusions AT ALL!! i'm just afraid the inclusions make it more fragile and i might break it somehow if i bang it as a ring.

The sun's usually gone by the time i get home around 7:30, so she wont get a photoshoot till this weekend. :( Think i might bring her to work tomorrow and see how the pics turn out. :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you named her?

MoZo

ps Missy O [for orange] sounds good to me!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i haven't named her yet. She will need a special name so i'm gonna think about it, but i'm considering changing her gender to male so i can name him Mufasa. It looks like a big lion mane staring at me, and Simba sounds too cute.

My 6.8mm Barry spess is named... *hiding*... Snooki. ahahaha.. it's small, round, orange, and very very loud. :bigsmile:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty said:
But i really really want to see it too.. do you guys think it'd be too big for my finger?

I think that width wise that stone would fit just fine on one of your fingers, assuming that you set the length of the stone in line with your finger. The only tough part is in it's depth and your comfort. That stone, being a barion cut, is probably 6.5mm deep or so and since you need 1mm of clearance from the bottom of the stone to the top of you finger and a touch more for the metal work, it's probably going to stick up at least 8mm. That's not really too high and with the right sort of band, (perhaps Euro shank), it would be easy enough to keep it from turning upside down on your hand. If you're going to go with a lower priced band from the E-Bay sources I would advise getting something with short prongs, (short equals stiffer, which is a good thing with larger stones), or at least make sure that any prongs used are heavy enough to keep from bending easily. A custom setting would avoid this, but at quite a bit higher price level.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Michael, I was in the middle of writing an email to you when i saw this!

I know this sounds crazy, but i just love thin halos around colored gems. If i halo it and wear it on my middle finger, is it still too much? my middle finger is between 4.25-4.5 and 14.5mm across, so that would leave some space on each side. This way my mom can wear it as well on her ring finger.

so it would have a very very thin halo + 2 pave shanks down each side w/ a thin space in between. what do you guys think?

either that or a pendant w/ halo and a pave swinging bale... but i really do want to see it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my spess sits up 1cm from my finger....and its not been a problem. of course, i like...well, really love....big rings and don't think you're going to have a problem with it looking too big.

MoZo

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I had seen that stone and was hoping that a PSer got it because I definitely want to see more pictures. Looking forward to seeing the results of your photoshoot!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Okay so i rushed home today to try and catch the light before the sun sets... and my efforts were useless. my pictures sucked. let me upload and post them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
haha i guess i havent emptied out my memory card in a while... says it'll take an hour to download everything.

in the mean time, i took these at my bf's yesterday. i got this from Barry, and it's 6.8mm. dont remember the carat weight tho. it doesn't show any brown modifiers, and very little yellow. my pics just suck!

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
sorry, today's pics are still downloading..

here's an 8mm Tanga garnet from Barry...

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
7.5mm round sapphire from tan, aigs cert says unheated, you can see some zoning.

9 x 7mm aqua in halo pendant from ebay.. i "stole" it for $80. 18k white gold, and the diamonds are super clean and sparkly!

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
yay, finally finished loading! sorry to disappoint, but this is the best i can do today. Dana's pics are way better than mine. ;( i'll try at work tomorrow.

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have exquisite taste. I love the sapphire and the mandarin especially!! :love:

Get an outdoors sunlight photo of the mandarin. They glow in the sun!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I'm far from disappointed; the stone is just bursting with life and colour. The orange is so luscious! :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw Dana's piece of the rough... and missed it. Stupid me, it is a gorgeous stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

Actually, that is my favourite color for sapphire!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love your sapphire :appl: The garnet has nice shade of orange too:)

The sapphire deserves a thread on its own:) do fill us in on the details and MORE photos :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results