carat
color
clarity

4-5 carat engagement ring

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Settings. If it were me I would sent it to Victor Canera and ask him to make you a three or five stone setting with step cut sides of some sort.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it's been suggested multiple times, but you never responded so I'm going to ask:
Are you sure your GF wants a round diamond this large?
Discussions about diamond size come up again and again (and again) around here, and it seems to me that many, many women seem to think that RBs larger than 3 carats lose their luster, so to speak. Most women prefer a fancy shape if the stone is going to be over 3 cts. Just something to check into before you purchase a round this large.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with sending it to Victor Canera, whatever style setting you decide. His work is impeccable and I'd want something top notch with a stone of this calibre, he currently has my diamond and I can't recommend him enough...

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
farmer gal|1317646681|3031917 said:

While it's a gorgeous setting, I would stay away from settings with a halo with a ct size this large. I would also make sure that your gf wants a diamond this large. I prefer 2.5-3ct, but when I see something larger my first reaction is 'fake'! Not fair, but it's true.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

While it's a gorgeous setting, I would stay away from settings with a halo with a ct size this large. I would also make sure that your gf wants a diamond this large. I prefer 2.5-3ct, but when I see something larger my first reaction is 'fake'! Not fair, but it's true.

I'm dying to go ring shopping with you! :naughty:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm in the minority, but if your finances allow it and you think she can rock a larger RB stone then why not?! GFI!! :naughty: :devil:

jonnydanger

Rough_Rock
So I have gone ahead and purchased: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1184358.asp

Also a JA gemologist has said this about the stone: Diamond 1184358 (Round 4.02ct H VS1) has a bruise on the bezel facet that is not plotted; our gemologist feels this is from damage, and cannot recommend this diamond.

I have a 60 day money back guarantee and am concerned about people telling me it's too big for anyone.

Can anyone advise if this rock will shine like it's worth a million bucks? I've attached the ideal scope image as well.

Or is it better to go with a 3 - 3.5 carat stone with a much better color / clarity..

I assumed the stone I've purchased already has the best cut possible right?

Can anyone suggest any settings for this stone? My girlfriend is pretty set on a three stone setting, but I feel that this setting with a 4 carat center stone might be too much.

Pricescope... Please Advise!

1184358id.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jonnydanger|1319464079|3046524 said:
So I have gone ahead and purchased: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1184358.asp

Also a JA gemologist has said this about the stone: Diamond 1184358 (Round 4.02ct H VS1) has a bruise on the bezel facet that is not plotted; our gemologist feels this is from damage, and cannot recommend this diamond.

I have a 60 day money back guarantee and am concerned about people telling me it's too big for anyone.

Can anyone advise if this rock will shine like it's worth a million bucks?

Or is it better to go with a 3 - 3.5 carat stone with a much better color / clarity..

I assumed the stone I've purchased already has the best cut possible right?

Can anyone suggest any settings for this stone? My girlfriend is pretty set on a three stone setting, but I feel that this setting with a 4 carat center stone might be too much.

Pricescope... Please Advise!

I'm one of the few that said that this stone is not too big. HOWEVER, a 4ct centre in a 3-stone setting might be a bit much. A few PS'ers, mom2boys, roppongi (hope you don't mind my quoting your names, ladies) come to mind, have beautiful 3-stone rings with a 3ct centre and 0.50ct each sides. That is, imho, the *best* combination. A big honking 4ct would be better set in a solitaire, again mho.

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
So you already bought the diamond? And JA said there is damage on it? Your budget is adequate for what you want....what is the motivation for getting one with what the vendor describes as damage?

p.s.: I don't think 4+ carats is too big esp if you live in a big city. You see them in NYC all the time.

chicam

Shiny_Rock
If you purchased this diamond, how come it's still available for purchase?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Has she tried on a 4 carat diamond in a 3-stone setting? It is going to be rather large. What is her finger size?

When I think of a 3 stone, I think of Yssie's 'Butterflies' ring from Whiteflash, with her 2.7 RB center and .43 side stones:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL]

The proportions of that ring are just perfect to me, and while Yssie has a size 4 finger (pretty tiny), I think that size would look phenomenal on anyone and cause most people to freak out. It's nearly a 3 carat center stone! It's over 3.5 carat total weight!

ETA: this is the setting from Whiteflash that Yssie has: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-butterflies-diamond-engagement-ring-230.htm

Also, if JA recommended that you NOT buy the diamond, why did you buy it?

Here's a 3 carat stone from Whiteflash, I'm sure they could find you some matching side stones: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2205261.htm

jonnydanger

Rough_Rock
It says available for purchase but in the title bar it also says Not Available. I'm not sure why that is... I've wired them the money but they are yet to confirm receiving it, so i assume that i've bought it.

Also she wants to accompany the ring with a wedding band with diamonds all around it...

Her ring size is 9.5 Universal. Not sure what it is in US.

The review on the stone from the gemologist I received last year when I was interested in the stone then... I live in Dubai which is very safe and 4 carat is not uncommon out here.

Technically I haven't bought the stone. I've paid them the money pending for the stone and was going to have David Wolfe examine it. I forgot completely that I had the idealscope and gemologist review and only now found that the stone is damaged.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, so you had a JA gemologist review the stone last year and they recommended against buying the stone?

jonnydanger

Rough_Rock
Phoenix,

Yes exactly, it just caught my eye today. I never saw that review before because I was still shopping for the stone. I saw it today when I decided to post the idealscope images to this page for one last review.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know you could ask JA to ask their supplier (be it a cutter or an individual trying to consign a stone - dunno if JA does consigned diamonds or not but the point remains) whether it'd be possible to have the stone submitted for a re-grading at GIA and if the clarity comes back lower (which I imagine it must) then you could ask for a lower price - one that's based on the new grading.

They could only say no, right? And you stand to lose nothing and a lot to gain! :wink2:

ETA: I assume that this "bruise" does not pose any danger to the structural integrity of the stone (?) Best to check with JA.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
personally (and this is bearing in mind that everyone has their own tastes and opinions), if it was ME (and I have size 9 US fingers, so not tiny hands), with an unlimited budget, I don't think I'd want a 4 ct RB in a 3 stone ring... I'd probably go for a smaller center stone than that, so that the side stones are more visible - that particular stone is already more than a cm in diameter! She's the one who's going to be wearing it though, and she should light up whenever she looks at it, so you should get her what she wants, but maybe she should try on some similar rings first. good luck, I'm sure it will be blingtastic!

dontaskme

Rough_Rock

4-5 carat round in a halo would be too much IMO, I wonder what her finger size is.

jonnydanger

Rough_Rock
Do you guys suggest I go with the same stone from JA or look for a different stone with them?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonny, do you not think my suggestion is worth considering? I don't think there's anything unethical about it at all, since JA has already advised you against buying the stone. The IS image looks great so am guessing the reason for the advice must be because of the bruise (thus impacting on the VS1 grading) but of course I could be wrong here.

If you are still seriously considering this stone despite JA's advice, then why not ask them abt the re-grading. I know you have the budget but why pay more than necessary? Also, did the gemologist at JA actually say that the stone is "damaged"?

Just wondering...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 4 carat is fine as a solitaire (in a world other than mine!). I think it would look bad as a three stone unless she has about a size 10 ring finger. What size is her ring finger (sorry if it has been already stated somewhere)? You have to be sure the three stones would even fit the top of her finger properly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why purchase a $100K damaged stone??..:confused:

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: Seems like with your kind of budget you should be talking to more than one vendor. I couldn't imagine buying a diamond of that size without having at least two other choices presented from some other reliable PS vendors - in addition to the diamond presented by James Allen.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
renogirl|1319501030|3046932 said:
:wavey: Seems like with your kind of budget you should be talking to more than one vendor. I couldn't imagine buying a diamond of that size without having at least two other choices presented from some other reliable PS vendors - in addition to the diamond presented by James Allen.

Ditto! Why not contact BGD, WF, and/or GOG and see what they can come up with for you? I noticed BGD and WF have some similar diamonds to the JA one in their virtual inventory. The diamond world is your oyster...you should definitely have some options!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1319499520|3046913 said:
why purchase a $100K damaged stone??..:confused:

Good question!!!!

Lori

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that the JA stone is no longer available, I'm assuming that you purchased it?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
kal2021|1319501876|3046947 said:
renogirl|1319501030|3046932 said:

Ditto! Why not contact BGD, WF, and/or GOG and see what they can come up with for you? I noticed BGD and WF have some similar diamonds to the JA one in their virtual inventory. The diamond world is your oyster...you should definitely have some options!

He stated earlier in the thread that he wanted to use James Allen, no reasons given.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results