shape
carat
color
clarity

3rd ring in two years!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here''s the story:

Part I

Two years ago, on my birthday no less, I lost my engagement ring of 15 years. It was an uncerted .75ct pear that had been reset into a yellow gold setting from Bailey Banks and Biddle. I had put my ring in my lap while driving to put on hand lotion, and forgot to put it back on (had 4 kids in the car at the time, so was a little preoccupied). Well, you can imagine what happened next, and I spent a few hours that day in 24-degree weather in a Walmart parking lot looking for it. It was insured, so I was able to get a beautiful new ring from a local jeweler.

It''s a 1.02ct princess, E VS2, pave is about .6cts

P4060316.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Profile. Part II to follow.

P4060321.JPG

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I would be devastated if I lost my ring.

That is one gorgeous replacement though. Eagerly awaiting part II!

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
19.gif
waiting... waiting... munching popcorn............

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 7:09:32 PM
Author: Lenamama
19.gif
waiting... waiting... munching popcorn............
LOL Lena...same here... do you think she''s in the process of posting?!!? :)

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Sooooo, I was very happy with this ring, except that the micropave stones kept falling out - at least 4 or 5 in less than a year. My jeweler was very gracious and replaced the stones every time without ever making me feel like I was at fault or inconveniencing him, but I was a bit heartbroken every time I had to take it in. He said he had another customer with the same ring who never had a problem, so I thought that maybe there was some glitch with this particular ring. He agreed to let me pick another setting, so here is what I selected. The setting was an equal trade, but the new oval stone cost us an additional $450. I posted a pic or two in my "Cmas sapphire pendant" thread, but here it is again anyway.

Stats: Center oval 1.03ct, E VS2, additional pave and baguettes total about .5ct

cellring2a.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that the second setting now has a pink sapphire, so I can''t wait to see setting #3!!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Handshot.

I loved this ring - it had great finger coverage, tons of sparkle, and I''d still be wearing this ring except that the pave kept falling out again!!
7.gif

I really want something I can wear everyday, and I''ve read all the threads about other PSer''s pave falling out - I''m not hard on my rings, and take them off when doing chores, etc. My jeweler hand makes the wax (no CAD) and casts, so I don''t know if that''s the problem or not. I loved the setting though, and decided to set my pink sapphire in it and just wear it occasionally as a RHR.

On to Part III

cellring2b.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, what a lovely setting!

I''m sorry you''re having so much trouble with the melee. It happens, though, and it''s the price we pay for blingy settings!

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry if I'm confused and getting ahead of things, but this last ring, is the one you had, but traded in? Or is this the new one? And, you mentioned the one you traded in using as a RHR?? but, didn't you trade it in?
40.gif
I'm so sorry for being so brainless tonight!!!! LOL

I would LOVE to see your pink sapphire - I've got one in my e-ring so i'm totally partial to them!! :)

-Rachel

ETA: So so sorry about your original e-ring!! That must've saddened you SO MUCH! THANK GOODNESS you had it insured!!! WOW! Do you happen to have ANY photos of that ring? I understand if it's painful to post pics of it...I know how it feels to lose something precious!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
As much as I love pave, I''ve decided to try something else. I spent a looong time looking (this is where PS has been invaluable), but even though there were good diamond deals to be had online, I was already stuck with either keeping the 1carat oval, or upgrading through my jeweler. He has a lifetime upgrade policy which includes the full purchase price of the original stone, but he always seems to inflate the price of the upgraded stone, which was really frustrating. He even told me that he could give me a better price if I were buying the stone outright, but for me, he had to "factor in the trade-in". Anyway, to make a long story not much longer, I decided to go with a RB (for spread). I don''t know if this is considered an upgrade though, because I''m going down in color and quality.

I won''t get it back from the jeweler for 2-3 weeks, but here are some preliminary pics I got when he let me take it home on memo.

The stone''s a 1.31ct, H SI2 (I have to admit I''m still wincing a little at that). I''ll attach more specs on the stone later.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, I love it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 7:40:17 PM
Author: newsboysgrl777
I''m sorry if I''m confused and getting ahead of things, but this last ring, is the one you had, but traded in? Or is this the new one? And, you mentioned the one you traded in using as a RHR?? but, didn''t you trade it in?
40.gif
I''m so sorry for being so brainless tonight!!!! LOL

I would LOVE to see your pink sapphire - I''ve got one in my e-ring so i''m totally partial to them!! :)

-Rachel

ETA: So so sorry about your original e-ring!! That must''ve saddened you SO MUCH! THANK GOODNESS you had it insured!!! WOW! Do you happen to have ANY photos of that ring? I understand if it''s painful to post pics of it...I know how it feels to lose something precious!
It is confusing - I hate explaining it to my friends because (1) it''s such a long-winded story, (2) I feel stupid for loosing my original engagement ring, and (3) they are not as nuts about jewelry as I am. So you are assuredly not brainless.

But to answer your question, I traded in the first replacement ring (princess), and traded just the oval diamond out of replacement ring 2 (kept the oval setting-it now has a pink sapphire). I''ll try posting another pic of the sapphire ring.

Everybody else: yup, I''m still posting, but am new and slow; I promise the pics are coming!

cellsapphring1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Stats on the diamond:

depth: 59.4%
table 58%
crown 13.9%
pav 42.5%

I know it''s not a stellar stone, but it''s what the budget would allow right now. And believe me, after all this, it''s gonna have to last awhile; husband and jeweler both are ready to strangle me, I think.

IMG_1439.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And sorry about the tacky price tag, but I did have it on memo while I decided.

I also have angle info:
crown angle: 33.4
pav angle: 40.5

I''ve got more pics, hang on...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s just the setting. My jeweler will have to take out the basket and attach 4 prongs to the actual quadrifoil design. The setting is inexpensive, especially compared to all the wonderful designer stuff here, but for now, it will have to do. And I still sorta get my halo.

cellmount.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I stuck in a blue topaz I had lying around, just for fun.

cellringtopaz.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Partly on the hand. Sizing has to be done too.
20.gif

cellhand1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
You can see how much it has to be lowered.

cellringside.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The new diamond should be fine. But, I'm confused about the new setting. I thought the ideas was that you were trying to get away from lots of tiny little diamonds.

Love the pink sapphire ring, BTW.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another hand shot on my size 7 finger.

cellhand2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey flygirl, I know the setting has some diamonds, but not as many as you might think. The ones in the 4 circles are bezel set, and the others are protected a little more by the milgrain edge. The whole setting is only .27ctw. This same jeweler (who is probably sick of me by now) said this would be fine for an everyday ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is really pretty, but honestly, I'd probably set it with the blue topaz. I think it looks more like a right hand ring, and I agree that you're likely to have more problems with this setting if it is worn all the time. But it is a very pretty design...I just hate to see you repeat the exact same scenario a 3rd time!

(Sorry, I now see that your jeweler says it should work for an everyday ring!)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
with a little sun.

cellringsun.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Now all I have to do is wait 2-3 weeks. Hasn''t someone started a support forum for ladies waiting for their rings?

And what the heck, I might as well attach one more photo...

cellhand3.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, love the new setting and the pink oval ring! Gorgeous rings
36.gif

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Oh cellentani, your rings are gorgeous! The third one is my favorite - such a unique design and the diamond looks lovely. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are all gorgeous! I especially love the pink sapphire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results