shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct oval D VS1 vs G IF?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused, too. I didn't realize we were talking about two different G stones. This is the one I was recommending (that tyty posted):

The G you have on hold appears to have a low crown. I don't like it from these pictures you posted.

I'll add one more bit of advice. The people answering the phone at JA often give very questionable advice as evidenced by what you said they told you above. I wouldn't rely on them to help make a decision on a stone at all.

Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Do you need to stay with james allen?
Maybe consider the ovals that are cut to eliminate the bow ties?
(I always forget the brand, but someone here will know.)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like the D the best. I think with ovals especially there's something to be said for the icy whiteness. I'm not usually a high-color fan, preferring G-I, but with ovals, idk. I like them super high color.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Re color/cut — Just a personal story. I like colorless diamonds and can tell the difference between even D and F. There was a pretty G colored emerald cut I saw on Blue Nile. I really hesitated. But hubby got me the stone for Christmas and it is lovely. JA has a good return policy— get the well-cut G.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am confused. Arent there only 3 potential options (D, E, G)? I would choose the G that @tyty333 posted.

Sorry for confusion. Actually there are 5 potential options at now.
1. G IF (the picture I posted)
2. D VS1
3. G IF (@tyty333 kindly introduced)
4. E VS1 (additionally founded)
5. D VS2 on Blue Nile (@distracts kindly found)
Originally I tried to get opinion on 1&2 but then other options has been added..

for 2&4, I shared link of website previously.
(due to ‘on hold status’ they removed from website for option1, so I posted pictures at my latest comment) ...

I highly appreciated all valuable advices with lot of technical analysis and professional perspectives!!!

We will go for Option 3 or Option 5!!!

Last edited:

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am confused, too. I didn't realize we were talking about two different G stones. This is the one I was recommending (that tyty posted):

The G you have on hold appears to have a low crown. I don't like it from these pictures you posted.

I'll add one more bit of advice. The people answering the phone at JA often give very questionable advice as evidenced by what you said they told you above. I wouldn't rely on them to help make a decision on a stone at all.

Super helpful, thank you! Sorry for confusion but at the end narrow down to two G IF options. You advice is very clear!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m no diamond expert and a newbie on the forum. Just wanted to show you my 2.4 ct. oval ring paired with my D-E-F VVS-VS eternity ring (.30 ct each). I know this is not apple to apple in terms of diamond size but just thought it may give you some visual comparison. I was worried that the G oval would show more warmth (look more yellow) when paired with my new colorless eternity ring but I couldn’t tell the difference in different light settings. It was a relief to say the least, not that I was planning to wear them together. Good luck with your selection. I love oval and have my ring for 20 years. Nowadays if I were to buy a new ring, I’d go as white as I can afford but the brilliance and performance will be utmost importance.

72C31333-0231-4F5C-9FEE-3F0D0886663C.jpeg

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is also true. I will decide according to the balance between light performance, face up size and color within budget. Won’t be compromise poor light performance to get larger size of face up but G IF @tyty333 recommendation is already good enough for light performance so will pursue face up size rather than better light return from Blue Nile.
The Blue Nile stone has a medium to extremely thick girdle. It faces up smaller than the G IF. It looks pretty, but I do not think it is worth sacrificing the size because of that girdle.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
I’m no diamond expert and a newbie on the forum. Just wanted to show you my 2.4 ct. oval ring paired with my D-E-F VVS-VS eternity ring (.30 ct each). I know this is not apple to apple in terms of diamond size but just thought it may give you some visual comparison. I was worried that the G oval would show more warmth (look more yellow) when paired with my new colorless eternity ring but I couldn’t tell the difference in different light settings. It was a relief to say the least, not that I was planning to wear them together. Good luck with your selection. I love oval and have my ring for 20 years. Nowadays if I were to buy a new ring, I’d go as white as I can afford but the brilliance and performance will be utmost importance.

72C31333-0231-4F5C-9FEE-3F0D0886663C.jpeg

Lovely rings!
Beautiful oval cut.

I will compare D and G at jeweler but most probably go with G IF with great light performance.

Of course if I can satisfy best light performance with D and good clarity that would be best but cost over USD 70k that is not affordable for my daily ring...

As I talked with my husband to convert our engagement ring of D to necklaces, perhaps there isn’t any occasion to wear closely each other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many here have converted the original diamond to a pendant, especially when it is a round diamond. A pendant would not have to be the same color as the engagement ring diamond, so you should be fine with the G IF. I don't think the BN stone is as well cut, therefore, there is no reason to think it has better light return than the G. I would eliminate the BN D color stone. If you really want D-F, you just may need to wait awhile to see new stones come into the online inventories.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Many here have converted the original diamond to a pendant, especially when it is a round diamond. A pendant would not have to be the same color as the engagement ring diamond, so you should be fine with the G IF. I don't think the BN stone is as well cut, therefore, there is no reason to think it has better light return than the G. I would eliminate the BN D color stone. If you really want D-F, you just may need to wait awhile to see new stones come into the online inventories.

Based on all knowledge I learned here, we visited some jewelers today. At GRAFF, there is 3ct marvelous D IF diamond (with 5x price...).

local small boutique, we found D VVS1 with amazing light performance. My husband was impressed by the beauty of stone. Cost is good but 2.148ct so face up size is 77. 5.

Now we would like to ask two questions;

1. How about quality especially light return of this stone on the video from local store? (D VVS1)

2. If I want to search 3ct D with this quality, how much budget range we need?

If we confirmed quality is outstanding and we need over 60-70k budget for larger face up size, then we can go with this D VVS1. Maybe we can try to add small stone on side to make it larger. Your valuable advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• EB09E784-5E7B-4B21-9A3E-D4C1AC5ADBE1.jpeg
    EB09E784-5E7B-4B21-9A3E-D4C1AC5ADBE1.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 3460DB08-D3FB-498A-84C8-8FE3BE61F1B8.jpeg
    3460DB08-D3FB-498A-84C8-8FE3BE61F1B8.jpeg
    890.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Micina Your link in question 1 above is not working. It wants me to log in.

Cant answer 2 because cant see one. Price does not always align with what you call "quality". Who is "confirming" the quality is outstanding?
Are you trusting the jeweler trying to sell you the stone?

What are the pictures you posted above? Is that the stone in the link in question 1? Is this considered "outstanding" quality? By who? You
need to realize that a lot of jewelers will give you a line of bull and tell you what you want to hear to sell you a stone. Ask them why it is considered "outstanding". Take note of what they tell you. Tell them you want to be able to see (in the stone) why they think the stone is outstanding. If they just repeat a bunch of stuff off the GIA report...(Ex sym, polish etc)...that's just not good enough. Its only a piece of
the puzzle.

For ovals, you/we almost always need to see the stone in action (video) to be able to evaluate them effectively.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused again. Is the new stone you posted above something you've seen IRL? There is no reputable certificate that I could find on the listing, which would rule it out immediately for me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly would not go down in size to a 2.1 ct stone. Furthermore I don't see anything in the pictures to make me think it is an outstanding cut. Can you link the GIA report for us?

D E F and VS1 and higher are all top quality as far as color and clarity go (colorless and totally eyeclean). So there is no need to limit yourself to D VVS especially since that is not in your budget for a 3 ct stone. As we have said, the cut is the most important thing. So far, that G stone is the best we have seen.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
@Micina Your link in question 1 above is not working. It wants me to log in.

Cant answer 2 because cant see one. Price does not always align with what you call "quality". Who is "confirming" the quality is outstanding?
Are you trusting the jeweler trying to sell you the stone?

What are the pictures you posted above? Is that the stone in the link in question 1? Is this considered "outstanding" quality? By who? You
need to realize that a lot of jewelers will give you a line of bull and tell you what you want to hear to sell you a stone. Ask them why it is considered "outstanding". Take note of what they tell you. Tell them you want to be able to see (in the stone) why they think the stone is outstanding. If they just repeat a bunch of stuff off the GIA report...(Ex sym, polish etc)...that's just not good enough. Its only a piece of
the puzzle.

For ovals, you/we almost always need to see the stone in action (video) to be able to evaluate them effectively.
As it’s on hold, so they have been moved to private website with password. Can you try on below?

At least for our eyes, it looks outstanding but I start to feel that it’s almost impossible to evaluate “quality” by ourselves... No info on GIA for oval so we have to have skills to analyze light return.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/favorite-stone/254308/

〇user name
favorite-stone

〇password
20210606a

for question 2, we just simply know whether it’s worth to wait to find D with same quality of G IF which you kindly recommended. We don’t mind to wait by end of year, if there is possibility to find the one less than USD 70k. If almost impossible to find within this budget, then we will compromise D and go with G IF.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
As it’s on hold, so they have been moved to private website with password. Can you try on below?

At least for our eyes, it looks outstanding but I start to feel that it’s almost impossible to evaluate “quality” by ourselves... No info on GIA for oval so we have to have skills to analyze light return.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/favorite-stone/254308/

〇user name
favorite-stone

〇password
20210606a

for question 2, we just simply know whether it’s worth to wait to find D with same quality of G IF which you kindly recommended. We don’t mind to wait by end of year, if there is possibility to find the one less than USD 70k. If almost impossible to find within this budget, then we will compromise D and go with G IF.
If you click arrows indication on right below of diamond picture, then jump to video.
5581F38A-F909-4C6D-88CA-F75833F842F5.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video of that stone looked pretty good. It had a grading report that was not GIA and it said very good polish and only good for symmetry. I certainly wouldn't want it over a 3 ct stone. I also think it is not wise to limit yourself to only D color. E is hard to distinguish from D, and F is also in the colorless range. I'd look at anything F VS1 and higher if you want a colorless stone. You could be waiting a really long time if you limit yourself to only one color.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh i would love to see a picture of the Graff one!
My ring is from Graff & I love it so much!
If you truly want a D color, then would you be happy with less than If?
I think it might help to decide what your preference is, but be open to seeing other things too.

I thought i only wanted certain specs, but then when i saw my ring- i knew it was the one (even w the slightly lower specs)

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
The video of that stone looked pretty good. It had a grading report that was not GIA and it said very good polish and only good for symmetry. I certainly wouldn't want it over a 3 ct stone. I also think it is not wise to limit yourself to only D color. E is hard to distinguish from D, and F is also in the colorless range. I'd look at anything F VS1 and higher if you want a colorless stone. You could be waiting a really long time if you limit yourself to only one color.

Thank you so much for your valuable advice.
I agree to be open for E and F.

Now I have two additional questions
1) I would love to save money therefore I prefer to stick online search rather than famous brand. However, I don’t have any confidence to identity good quality meaning high light performance stone from video. If JA or others can’t provide ASET, what is best way to check light return to narrow down stones?

2) To give up 1), are there any agency which provide service to help us to find best stone from online store, if we gave 6month with specific budget and E/F VS1 with faint or no fluorescence? If yes, what is standard agency fee?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi, if you willing to wait to the end of the year, you may want to contact Distinctive Gem. With their Elyque cut, which was mentioned before, you are guaranteed to have an oval with optimal light performance and no bow-tie. They currently only have (1) stone that is over 3 carats but I wonder if any are scheduled to be cut in a higher color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, if you willing to wait to the end of the year, you may want to contact Distinctive Gem. With their Elyque cut, which was mentioned before, you are guaranteed to have an oval with optimal light performance and no bow-tie. They currently only have (1) stone that is over 3 carats but I wonder if any are scheduled to be cut in a higher color.

Also Jon offers a concierge service where he helps people find diamonds with specific criteria in mind

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your valuable advice.
I agree to be open for E and F.

Now I have two additional questions
1) I would love to save money therefore I prefer to stick online search rather than famous brand. However, I don’t have any confidence to identity good quality meaning high light performance stone from video. If JA or others can’t provide ASET, what is best way to check light return to narrow down stones?

2) To give up 1), are there any agency which provide service to help us to find best stone from online store, if we gave 6month with specific budget and E/F VS1 with faint or no fluorescence? If yes, what is standard agency fee?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of that stone (the one you have to log in to see). I've seen better 4 mains. Its on the shallow side
(they cut a lot of shallow ovals in 4 mains). Not necessarily a bad thing but with the kind of money you have to spend I think you
can do better. Agree with @diamondseeker2006 ...the more you limit yourself with color and clarity the harder it will be to find a
nice oval.

Ditto @lovedogs ...I would contact Jonathan at Distinctive Gems to help you find a nice oval. Its a lot of money to spend and if you
don't know what you need to look for (which is hard to know when you are new to diamonds/ovals), it really helps to have some well-experienced eyes (no offence Jonathan!) He can do Idealscope and Aset images for you. These are only part of the equation though
in a search for a good oval. The real answers, IMO, come from seeing the oval as it moves. You want to see distinct, well-defined
facets that flash on and off (white/dark). Minimize the gray "mushy" areas that don't provide any flashing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results