shape
carat
color
clarity

3 x 3 Carat Comparison

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look at em with just your eyes at 8 inches,15 inches and over 20 inches in multiple lighting conditions and pick the one that you like the most overall.
Take notes as you go along, then share what you find.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Look at em with just your eyes at 8 inches,15 inches and over 20 inches in multiple lighting conditions and pick the one that you like the most overall.
Take notes as you go along, then share what you find.

I took them outside, fairly shaded in front of a tree. No real leaves yet, but the best I could do.

2 vids - hmm I realized I filmed one closer :| Also, these don't translate at all this way.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am more interested in your perceptions vs video.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

I thought they were very comparable to my untrained eye. Once I took them out of the tweezers and into the black case, I didn't note the 'whiteness' difference as much, but of course, it won't be set in this, so I'm not sure if that is a good test.

I definitely gravitate towards the one that faces up more white, I think it is hard not to. I also wonder if I perceive it to sparkle more because it appears brighter. But, the sparkle isn't as strong with spot lighting in that one, and I can visually tell that too. So now the small nuances of, what can make or break a stone from me choosing it is where I'm at, I'm really on the fence.

Last edited:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I posted the same video twice, changed it above.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not blown away by either, but if I was choosing one, I'd choose the one with more fire over the whiter one. When they are not side by side you won't notice that it's not as white. (I also know that capturing the flashes is not easy. I've tried taping gem stones that look great to my eye IRL, and then don't flash that way in the videos. I don't know why, but it's frustrating always having to say, "It looks better IRL".)

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not blown away by either, but if I was choosing one, I'd choose the one with more fire over the whiter one. When they are not side by side you won't notice that it's not as white. (I also know that capturing the flashes is not easy. I've tried taping gem stones that look great to my eye IRL, and then don't flash that way in the videos. I don't know why, but it's frustrating always having to say, "It looks better IRL".)

Yeah, unfortunately imgur completely destroys the optics, if I could only show the videos as they are. I tried using youtube, same thing, its at 240p :|

These are extremely well cut stones that I spent weeks narrowing down, so the subtle nuances was really hard to decide from, I ultimately went with the one in the curved prongs, the one with more fire.

I ended up accidentally mixing them up, once I didn't know which was which, the 'white' wasn't as apparent to me, I kept second guessing which was which (problem was resolved by an inclusion lol).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results