shape
carat
color
clarity

3 x 3 Carat Comparison

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
7 videos, comparison of the two that are similar in size (quality of videos change after uploading, not sure why)

Which is your fav, curved tweezers or straight?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Prefer the one in the straight tweezers by a hair based on the videos.

I’m more curious about what’s wrong with the one in the center. Is it the cut or the material? That’s a huge difference that shows up even on video.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Prefer the one in the straight tweezers by a hair based on the videos.

I’m more curious about what’s wrong with the one in the center. Is it the cut or the material? That’s a huge difference that shows up even on video.

The one with straight tweezers is the one that was in the centre!

Also - I uploaded a video below it in a different location. Do you still think the centre one performs less in that one?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
3.01 E SI1
40.6/35/56
15.5% crown height
H&A designation

3.02 F VS2
40.7/34.9/56.5
15% crown height
...no H&A designation

3.22 F VS1
40.7/35.1/57.5
15% crown height
...no H&A designation

@Karl_K

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
:confused: I’m so confused. If it looks so dead compared with the others in any lighting I wouldn’t pick it.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
:confused: I’m so confused. If it looks so dead compared with the others in any lighting I wouldn’t pick it.

You did pick it, the one that was considered 'dead' is the one with the straight tweezers.

So, the second video I posted, where all three are lined up, I moved locations. You now see that the centre stone does perform a bit better there.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one with straight tweezers is the one that was in the centre!

Also - I uploaded a video below it in a different location. Do you still think the centre one performs less in that one?

I'm confused. The center one looked much worse in video, so why is it under consideration?

In the video with all 3, the one on the left is my favorite

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.01 E SI1
40.6/35/56
15.5% crown height
H&A designation

3.02 F VS2
40.7/34.9/56.5
15% crown height
...no H&A designation

3.22 F VS1
40.7/35.1/57.5
15% crown height
...no H&A designation

@Karl_K

Is that the order from left to right in the video?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the center one totally clean (no dirt or oils)?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused. The center one looked much worse in video, so why is it under consideration?

In the video with all 3, the one on the left is my favorite

I think they are not at the same angle -- meaning the vertical axes are not parallel. And/or: they are not all at the same angle relative to the imaging plane (the phone's sensor). It looks like they are being compared side-by-side under identical conditions but it is likely that they are not.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, from this lighting, the 3.02 is not as fiery.

Haven't compared the larger one yet, I felt that was too much to do all three at once.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
You did pick it, the one that was considered 'dead' is the one with the straight tweezers.

So, the second video I posted, where all three are lined up, I moved locations. You now see that the centre stone does perform a bit better there.

Ok let me clarify my comment. Based on your videos, there are at least 2 different lighting setups. The line up with 3 diamonds and the 2 diamonds in tweezers.

Given that the center diamond looks visibly worse even on video, I would not consider it even if it edges out the others in other lighting. I’m still curious about what’s wrong with it because it’s uncommon to see such huge difference on video.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are not at the same angle -- meaning the vertical axes are not parallel. And/or: they are not all at the same angle relative to the imaging plane (the phone's sensor). It looks like they are being compared side-by-side under identical conditions but it is likely that they are not.

You are right, because their pavilions aren't the same, its hard to get them completely the same, at least with what I'm working with.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Ok let me clarify my comment. Based on your videos, there are at least 2 different lighting setups. The line up with 3 diamonds and the 2 diamonds in tweezers.

Given that the center diamond looks visibly worse even on video, I would not consider it even if it edges out the others in other lighting. I’m still curious about what’s wrong with it because it’s uncommon to see such huge difference on video.

I think that speaks to you preferring fire over brilliance because its being out performed in fire, but outperforming in brilliance. So, it comes down to choosing one, which, you did.

Finding the balance of all three. Its hard with the videos, and even harder getting them all exactly the same for comparison. That's why in the second video with all three, I considered it still because it wasn't as bad as the first. So, to answer your question, I think it was the video itself, not the stone entirely.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
The 3.02 is out, I think it wins slightly in brilliance, but fails more in fire.

Here is the 3.22 and 3.01

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you do some videos in indirect natural light tomorrow? Maybe under a leafy tree?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Can you do some videos in indirect natural light tomorrow? Maybe under a leafy tree?

Not many full leaves here yet, but I will bring the 3.02 and 3.01 with me in the car and see what I can do, I’m back to considering those two.

The 3.22 is $800 more, and since it didn’t scream out, I think I’ll save my self the headache and just compare to 3.01/3.02.

I like the brilliance of the 3.02 more, but it appears to lack in fire compared to the 3.01, at least from the lighting I have right now.

So they both have their own “thing” going for them, and while I do prefer brilliance more to a degree, I’m sure one of them is more balanced overall.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a red phone case? If so, can you remove it for the next videos?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Haven't gone out yet, just some videos in more natural lighting. No lights on.

I tried to limit the red glare from my phone, anything stand out?

3 videos - really wish imgur didn't adjust the video quality, I feel this hinders the assessment

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When one looks worse change the order repeat test.
Did the problem follow the stone or stray in the same position?
Im not seeing somehing that screams this one bad, but I'm not seeing something that sreams this one is the best either.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Im not seeing somehing that screams this one bad, but I'm not seeing something that sreams this one is the best either.

I did that yesterday with the fire video, and the lack of fire did follow the stone. However, that stone shows more 'white' face up in other lighting conditions.

I don't know how to interpret that information, is it just a matter of preference, or is the whiter face up 'better' in performance.

Let me see if I can get another video going.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

3 videos - also switched their position

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did that yesterday with the fire video, and the lack of fire did follow the stone. However, that stone shows more 'white' face up in other lighting conditions.

I don't know how to interpret that information, is it just a matter of preference, or is the whiter face up 'better' in performance.

Let me see if I can get another video going.

Most people prefer fire to "white" wirh less fire.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Most people prefer fire to "white" wirh less fire.

I'm leaning that way too, even though I do really like the brighter appearance. Do you have a preference from the two in the videos, without knowing which is which?

Curved prong vs straight?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results