shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Stone vs. Solitaire- opnions please!

1 ct solitaire or 3 stone made up of .48 side stones with .80 center?

• 1 carat solitaire

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so confused... I''m going to upgrade my ering sometime soon-ish and I keep changing my mind on what I want. I thought I was going to go asscher but I''ve decided to stay with RB. I currently have a .48 ct rb in a yg x-prong type setting. We were planning to upgrade to a 1 ct RB in the same setting (I do love the setting) but it''s just occured to me that for about the same money as a 1 ct RB I can buy another .48 and around a .80 for a center stone and have a 3 stone ring instead (I''d want a trelis style yg setting). More bling for the buck? Decisions, decisions... I need more money and more fingers! I would love your opinions and if anyone has any photos of 3 stones with roughly those proportions, I''d love to see them!

Thank you!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Upgrade, I think this depends on your taste!

I am a solitaire girl -- have always been -- so that would be my pick. Also I have small hands.

Try them, see which ones appeal to you.

You could also do baguettes or pave...if you want more sparkle.

k

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted solitaire out of personal aesthetic preference - though I can definitely see the sentimental appeal of incorporating your original stone! Hm, decisions, decisions ....

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have slightly smaller than what you''re looking for. My center is .78ct, and the two sides are .41 and .42ct. I also have a trellis setting.

kvlering0206.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the 3 stone. I love the idea of incorporating your original stone into it, and talk about finger coverage!!
30.gif

.80 and 2 .48s would be a gorgeous size.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, if you really love the three stone look I would get the 1 ct now, and save the .48 and save up for another and then do the three stone thing. That way,
you get to enjoy the beauty of the 1 ct solitare for a while and then have another upgrade some where down the line. Or you can always buy another .48 and
make earrings. I would go for the 1 ct stone though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 8:18:42 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Personally, if you really love the three stone look I would get the 1 ct now, and save the .48 and save up for another and then do the three stone thing. That way,
you get to enjoy the beauty of the 1 ct solitare for a while and then have another upgrade some where down the line. Or you can always buy another .48 and
Ditto!!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:14:22 PM
Author: DandiAndi
My vote is for the 3 stone. I love the idea of incorporating your original stone into it, and talk about finger coverage!!
30.gif

.80 and 2 .48s would be a gorgeous size.

Ditto this.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
personally I love the multi stone look. I just love for my main stone to have cousins by its side. I like LOTS of cousins if I could have them
36.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mom has a 3 stone .5, 1 ct, .5 and its very pretty and blingy (.8 would just be a little smaller than my Moms so still lots of bling).

Also, like the idea of getting the 1 ct now and another .48 later for a future upgrade. I tell ya PSs really know how to have their cake
and eat it now while planning on eating more cake in the future!
36.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a thread full of 3-stone rings. Have fun!

LS

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Tritto!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrade, I am LOVING the idea of the three-stone with your original stone incorporated!
30.gif

I have a three-stone with similar proportions to what you''re considering . . . my center stone is 0.75 and I''m not sure about the size of the sidestones. However, my center stone is a radiant and my sidestones are princesses. I do have a YG trellis setting, though! Here''s a pic:

EmmsERing2.JPG

And a handshot . . . sorry it''s so blurry! (For reference, my ring size is 6.25.) Here it is:

EmmsRingsWindowHandshot.jpg

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
I think that this depends on personal taste. Have you tried any three stone rings on with the proportions that you are thinking of getting? I know that personally I love the look of a three stone ring on other people, but it is just too much for my hand. Maybe you will have an easier time deciding after you try some rings on.

You could always put your original diamond into a pendant if you decide to go for a solitaire instead of the three stone.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
As the others have said, it's of course up to your personal taste. I personally love three-stones and I think you'd get a lot of bling for your buck with a three stone! I also love the idea of incorporating your original stone! Please let us know what you decide. And post pictures!!
9.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks- your opinions are all so helpful! I haven''t actually tried on any 3 stones so I guess I need to get to a store so I can see how they look on me. I want big impact and big bling but at the same time I have smallish fingers (size 5) and anything too bulky looks wrong on my hand- I don''t know what''s going to do it for me more...

Logan Sapphire- WOW! That is a gorgeous ring and the proportions are basically what I''d be looking at. What is your ring size (so I can get an idea of coverage?)

Irishgrrl- your ring is so beautiful- I love the engraving.

That link was great too- I have such ring envy... I want them all! This will be my final upgrade (accroding to him...
2.gif
) so I want to make sure I do it right! We already changed my setting a few years ago (I really didn''t like the original one my dh chose so I was thrilled to get to chose my own) and he says we can upgrade my diamond now so I have what I really wanted to begin with, but this is the last time! If I go with the 1 ct we would be trading the diamond in on the upgrade. The trouble is I keep changing my mind as to what I want. Anyone have any 1 ct solitaire handshots?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I voted three-stone, because I prefer the finger coverage, but I''d try on several of both style to see which one you like better on your hand - it really depends on your personal preferences.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

Ditto! I voted for solitaire.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for a 3 stone for 2 reasons...I love the idea of using your original stone in your upgrade and the finger coverage would be fabulous!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
I voted three stone. I didn''t think I liked them. UNTIL I tried one on... omg. I still think about that ring. I can''t wait to hear if you try one on and what you decide.

I see the polls are running neck-in-neck! Good Luck!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
i voted 1ct solitaire just based on personal preference. can''t wait to see what you decide!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted the 3 stone because of the finger coverage it provides.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I was about to click on solitaire, until I thought of the sentiment of your original stone. Then I clicked three stone!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, since you have to trade in your original stone for the upgrade, I might rethink this a bit. How attached are you to your original stone? I traded in my first
ring because I only picked it because it was the cheapest one we could find and I HATED it from day one. (long story) I have never regretted that for one second.
However, my second ring, bought 5 years and two kids into my marriage-has a big ol'' feather that is dark that I can see quite easily now, well, that one I cant
give up. My husband bought that with a great deal of tenderness and love and even tho it is not a great stone, its going to stay with me. It was a .75 pointer and
I remember thinking how big it looked to me when we bought it. I thought it was such a wow! So although I love the size of the 1 ct, you have to decide how
attached you are to that stone, because you dont want to regret trading it in.

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
I voted for the solitaire, I have a 1ct trinity ring, but the Solitaire ring stands out on it''s own. Here is a pic of my 1.52 RB with my new .55 blue diamond solitaire.

P2060009.JPG

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
P.S. I love your set Logan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I voted 3 stone ring for several reasons: sentamental value of still keeping the first diamond, the coverage would be amazing and I just love three stone rings.

However, If I were in your position I wouldn''t make a desision untill I tryed simmilar sized rings on, The three stone may just be abit big on a slim finger.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m loving the idea of using your original stone, so I vote for a 3 stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results