shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Stone vs. Solitaire- opnions please!

1 ct solitaire or 3 stone made up of .48 side stones with .80 center?

• 1 carat solitaire

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all the responses! You''re all so helpful. I''m going to try to go try some 3 stones and solitaires on tomorrow and hopefully that will help me decide...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
3 stone I love the sentimentality of it, kinda like your ring has grown along with your marriage :).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 1:14:20 AM
Author: Deelight
3 stone I love the sentimentality of it, kinda like your ring has grown along with your marriage :).
AWW that''s adorable!!
love1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:20:11 AM
Author: DandiAndi

AWW that''s adorable!!

love1.gif

1.gif
I am a self confessed hopeless romantic

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for 3 stone but am biased - that''s what I have! My original e-ring stone is one of my side stones, my 10 yr. anniv. stone is my center - it means a lot to me and does give great finger coverage!
1.gif
Were I ever to upgrade/get another ring, this would become a RHR for me - too sentimental to change it up! Can''t wait to see your end result, whichever way you go.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I voted three-stone also. And I am also biased because that is what I have now. I went from a solitare with pave to a three-stone, using my original center stone and I don't see myself going back to a solitaire anytime soon. The new ring is in my avatar. You won't regret the change, I promise. With a three-stone setting you get more bling while keeping the sentimentality with your original center stone. My center stone has about the same dimensions as yours, but I have .25ct stones on either side.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:18:42 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Personally, if you really love the three stone look I would get the 1 ct now, and save the .48 and save up for another and then do the three stone thing. That way,

you get to enjoy the beauty of the 1 ct solitare for a while and then have another upgrade some where down the line. Or you can always buy another .48 and

make earrings. I would go for the 1 ct stone though.

I agree!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:18:27 PM
Author: Snooper

Date: 2/6/2009 8:18:42 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Personally, if you really love the three stone look I would get the 1 ct now, and save the .48 and save up for another and then do the three stone thing. That way,

you get to enjoy the beauty of the 1 ct solitare for a while and then have another upgrade some where down the line. Or you can always buy another .48 and

make earrings. I would go for the 1 ct stone though.

I agree!
1ct, 1ct.........then........get the matching 0.48ct and you have your 3-stone. So.........you can enjoy your 1ct solitaire for a while whilst you save up and search for you 3 stone setting and stone, so you have essentially 2 upgrades to look forward to.

This is what I would do. This is what I''d love to do.

enjoy choosing anyways.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:11:59 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire
I have slightly smaller than what you''re looking for. My center is .78ct, and the two sides are .41 and .42ct. I also have a trellis setting.

I voted solitaire, but I think I may have changed my mind after seeing this pic! Talk about more finger coverage for your buck! This is just gorgeous!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:20:11 AM
Author: DandiAndi

AWW that''s adorable!!

love1.gif
What a wonderful thought!

It really is up to your own preference, upgrade. I hope you''ll find some answers when you try things on
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the 3 stone. Either one will be lovely.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m loving the 3 stone idea more and more... I can''t wait to go try some on! My poor baby isn''t feeling well so I''ve been home with him or I''d have gone already! I love the idea of getting the 1 ct and then doing another upgrade later into the 3 stone, but dh will NEVER go for that- he''s made it very clear this is going to be the ring on my finger until the day I die so choose wisely!
33.gif

I have another question for all you experts- if I do go 3 stone I would need a new setting. I''m wondering if I could give the jeweller my original gold e-ring setting to melt down and use? I asked about that when I had my original diamond reset into the x-prong but the jeweller I was using wouldn''t do it. She said there can be imperfections in the gold so they would use new gold for something as important as an e-ring. I always kind of wondered about that- was she just trying to make a bit more money off me? I''m not going through her again regardless, so if it would be possible to use my gold I''d like to... I like the sentimentality of using the diamond and the gold from my original ring.

This is all so fun! I wish I could do it every year!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a big fan of solitaires so that would be my vote however Logan Sapphire''s 3-stone is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi upgrade- my finger size is a 3.5 or a 3.75. My center stone was my original ering- it was a solitaire. You definitely should try some three stones on with the same proportions that you''re interested in. I know a lot of people don''t care for the proportions that my ring has. They like their center stone to stand out more, so they get smaller sides. Personally, I like the way mine looks, but obviously depends on individual tastes.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not long ago I would have voted for a solitaire, but I have seen so many gorgeous 3-stone rings that I have fallen in love with them. My mom just got her original stone mounted into a 3-stone setting, and I love it. She''s particularly fond of the finger coverage.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I actually voted for the sol, because I personally like solitaires, but then I read that you would have to trade in your original.... so
go for the three-stone!
Perhaps he can get you a 1c RHR for 10 or 20 year anni! That way, you can tell him it''s not an upgrade... it''s a new ring altogether!!
3.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Laraonline- I like your thinking! Our 10 yr is next year so that probably won''t happen but maybe for the 20th...
30.gif

Logan Sapphire- I LOVE the proprtions of your ring! I guess it''s all a matter of personal taste but I prefer the stones closer in size like yours. I keep drooling over your ring. And size 3.5-3.75?? I didn''t know fingers came that small. Just out of curiosity (and because I want to see more pictures!) do you have any pics of your ering with a plain band?

Coati- I just saw pics of your gorgoues 3 stone in another thread- wow! Love t!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, upgrade, I have to say even though your DH says that this will be your last upgrade, there are many here who have heard the same thing and later upgraded. Stuff happens in life and often we change our minds. We celebrate the milestones, and reward ourselves for enduring hardship or meeting
challenges head on. How you want to mark those occasions and how our husbands mark them are often very different. My DH loves dirt bikes, motorcycles
snowboards, mountain bike etc. I love sparklies. There can be room for both, dont you think?

I would pick the one you love now, and let life unfold surprises later on.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 1:15:25 PM
Author: upgrade

Logan Sapphire- Just out of curiosity (and because I want to see more pictures!) do you have any pics of your ering with a plain band?

I just snapped a few pics really quickly. They''re pretty poor quality, but they give you an idea of what the ring looks like with a plain band. This is with a 3mm yellow gold ring, which is what you said you wanted, I think.

3 stone yg band.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a really blurry side view of the trellis.

kvl side view.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
And here''s one with my wedding ring turned around to show the plain side. It''s about a 2 mm band, so it kinda disappears under the ering. If I wore a plain wedding ring, I''d probably get a 2.5mm.

3 stone wedding ring.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS, your 3-stone is gorgeous!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I voted solitaire but I''m changing my mind after reading all the posts. I really like the idea of being able to incorporate your original diamond in your three stone ring. I upgraded in Sept and traded in my original diamond. I just wanted to most bang for my buck , now I wished I would have kept it
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Logan Sahpphire- I have a 2.5 mm gold band so your pic gives me a really good idea of what it''ll look like. Dh and I are going to look tonight- do they usually let you take pics or do we have to be covert about it? I want to try to snap a few shots of my options...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
YES, I officially change my vote to the three stone. Now you''ve got me lusting after one. (But that will sooo never happen!)

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
OMG we went to the jeweller DH knows and I tried on rings tonight and I''m in LOVE with the 3 stone... never thought I''d be a 3 stone girl but I love it! I was so excited I forgot to take pictures! The solitaires are gorgeous but the 3 stone looks so much better on my hand. I can''t stop thinking about it.

They have a diamond that I would love for a centre stone and a perfect match to what I already have for another side stone. This is more of a RT subject but the centre stone looks great to me- how''s this sound to you?

.76 H&A Cdn diamond
I
VS2
Ideal cut
Polish and Symmetry- VG
HCA- 0.7

They''ll sell it to me for $2325 Cdn ($1860ish US?). I thought that was pretty good but I want to make sure I''m not just acting on impulse!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 stone.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you tried some on and found what you love!! I''m not good with the numbers, but if you start a new thread on rocky talky with all the numbers of the stone, they can help you. I can''t wait to see the finished ring!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 12:47:29 AM
Author: upgrade
OMG we went to the jeweller DH knows and I tried on rings tonight and I''m in LOVE with the 3 stone... never thought I''d be a 3 stone girl but I love it! I was so excited I forgot to take pictures! The solitaires are gorgeous but the 3 stone looks so much better on my hand. I can''t stop thinking about it.

They have a diamond that I would love for a centre stone and a perfect match to what I already have for another side stone. This is more of a RT subject but the centre stone looks great to me- how''s this sound to you?

.76 H&A Cdn diamond
I
VS2
Ideal cut
Polish and Symmetry- VG
HCA- 0.7

They''ll sell it to me for $2325 Cdn ($1860ish US?). I thought that was pretty good but I want to make sure I''m not just acting on impulse!
Sounds great!

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
My sweet, wonderful husband bought me the diamonds for Valentine''s Day and I went back to the jeweller to choose the setting yesterday. It all gets sent off tomorrow and I''m SO excited! I''m going with a 3 stone trellis in yellow gold with white gold prongs and the centre diamond is .76 with 2 .48 side stones. They said it should be about 2 weeks to get it back and it''s going to kill me to wait! I''ll post pics when I get it. I took some before shots of my current solitaire so I can compare finger coverage later.

Thank you all SO much for your help. Thanks especially to Logan Sapphire who posted all those gorgeous pics of that beautiful 3 stone- it was exactly what I was envisioning and it made up my mind!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results