carat
color
clarity

3 stone ring - Time to downgrade!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I bet you never thought you'd hear that from me!! :bigsmile:

I received my 3-stone ring from LM last week but was so busy with the move, so didn't get a chance to post. My old camera died but I will try and get a new one some time this week to take pics. The ring is beautiful (as expected, since it's a LM), and the diamonds are *amazing*, esp the BGD "blue", which is absolutely is MAGNIFICENT. It's very white and sparkles like crazy.

Well, there's a problem with the ring: the sidestones are just a little too big! :-o I know I know, some of you tried to warn me about it, esp Diamondseeker. The centre stone is a 2.374ct G Si1 "blue" and the sides are GIA-certed 1.55ct F Si1 and 1.52ct G Si1. It's supposed to be a RHR, size 4 1/4. I'm wearing it on my LH which is 3 3/4-3 7/8 (since the ring is rather tight), and the sidestones hang off the sides of my finger, and I expect they'd hang off the sides of my RH finger too. I will need to downgrade these two stones to a smaller size and am trying to determine which is the *right* size. I mean I love more finger coverage rather than less and don't want to go down to less than one carat each. I'd love to get another two "blues" of G colour, Si1 or VS2 clarity (depending on availability) to match the centre stone.

So is there any way I can determine which would be the right size for my sidestones? Am thinking different possibilities, including just over 1ct, 1.15ct or 1.20ct, each.

What do you think? All suggestions are welcome.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think your choices will be more limited by finding 2 matching Blues with F/G color. The majority of the Blue inventory tends to be H color and lower. But it looks like they have a perfectly matched F/G pair in stock right now. If you really want Blues I think it's best to put them on hold first.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213001
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050981014

ETA: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614[/URL] shows 3 stone ring proportions. I think your current set probably has a diameter ratio of ~86%. Using a pair of 1 carat stones with your stone likely drops the diameter ratio to ~76%.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1309173259|2956020 said:
I think your choices will be more limited by finding 2 matching Blues with F/G color. The majority of the Blue inventory tends to be H color and lower. But it looks like they have a perfectly matched F/G pair in stock right now. If you really want Blues I think it's best to put them on hold first.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213001
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050981014

ETA: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614[/URL] shows 3 stone ring proportions. I think your current set probably has a diameter ratio of ~86%. Using a pair of 1 carat stones with your stone likely drops the diameter ratio to ~76%.

Thank you for your fast response and suggestion. Those look really great and are certainly potential candidates! :love: :love:

I should explain though that I'd need to sell either these 1.5 caraters or my 2.3ct's J VS2 studs to raise the money to buy the new sides. I'd LOVE to keep both pairs as alternate studs but DH would kill me, lol! It may take some time to sell whichever pair, so I think I'd be ok to ask Brian and Lesley to start looking out for a suitable new pair of "blues".

Sorry to be dense, but am not sure I understand your comment abt the ratios:).

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! I was looking for a H color Blue in the 1.7 range, but even that was hard to come by, so I went with an I color Blue before the price hikes.

Let me try to clarify my point about the ratios with regards to the chart: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614[/URL]

A well cut ~1.5 carat measures around 7.4mm in diameter. A well cut ~2.4 carat measures around 8.6mm in diameter. The diameter ratio of the sides to the center is 7.4/8.6 = 86%. Proportionally, it'll look similar to the 1.5 carat center with 1 carat sides.

The 1.02 carat F/G Blues are 6.45mm in diameter. The diameter ratio of the sides to the center is 6.45/8.6 = 75%. Proportionally, it'll look similar to the 1.5 carat center with 0.66 carat sides.

Is that better? :geek:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
so you are planning to keep these sidestones and get new ones? why not just trade in the sidestones?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
everyday there's a "new diamond adventure" for Phoenix.. :lol:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that I can't decide if I'm more jealous of your very tiny fingers or your collection... :lol: ...who am I kidding, I wanna play in your jewelry box! :lickout:

Please adopt me!! :saint:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Phoenix, I am sooo sorry to hear that! I had so hoped it would work! You might want to measure across the top of your finger to see how many mm there are to cover. Then see how many mm the center stone is and estimate how much diamond space is left. I wear a 5.5 and I know I don't have room for three 1.5's. I think with my 1.6 center I could probably fit a 1 ct. on each side and fill the entire space. So it would be good to see what will really fit on your finger before having it remade.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix. I'm sorry your ring is not all that you expected. You have such gorgeous pieces an I know that this project will be a stunner as well. My 3-stone has an 8.3mm center and 6.0 sides (.80 ct each) for a total of 20.3mm across the top. I've attached a photo to give you a visual idea. My ring size is a 6 so it's quite a bit larger than your tiny fingers. (of which I'm soooo jealous). I know you want larger sides and your center is larger so it may look somewhat similar. Not sure if this helps.

Please excuse the poor quality photo. :sick:

lmf4ever1.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1309183203|2956099 said:
Good luck! I was looking for a H color Blue in the 1.7 range, but even that was hard to come by, so I went with an I color Blue before the price hikes.

Let me try to clarify my point about the ratios with regards to the chart: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/#post-1300614#p1300614[/URL]

A well cut ~1.5 carat measures around 7.4mm in diameter. A well cut ~2.4 carat measures around 8.6mm in diameter. The diameter ratio of the sides to the center is 7.4/8.6 = 86%. Proportionally, it'll look similar to the 1.5 carat center with 1 carat sides.

The 1.02 carat F/G Blues are 6.45mm in diameter. The diameter ratio of the sides to the center is 6.45/8.6 = 75%. Proportionally, it'll look similar to the 1.5 carat center with 0.66 carat sides.

Is that better? :geek:

He he, I really am dumb. Now I understand. Thanks. And you've got all my stones' measurements correct. Here are links to all 3 stones.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213013
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1370435.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1268849.asp

P.S. Incidentally, Tiffany's 3-stone rings has a ratio of 2:1, right? I've always thought that was nice, but somehow dumbo me thought that these 3 stones would work together! :rolleyes:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1309183972|2956109 said:
so you are planning to keep these sidestones and get new ones? why not just trade in the sidestones?

I'd love to keep them, but alas I don't think I can. I am planning to sell either these or the J VS2 studs. I don't think I can trade them in with BGD as they're JA stones, and I really would like a pair of "blues". Do you (or anyone else) know if I can trade them in with BGD? I seem to remember having asked Lesley before and she said no. Not sure if they've changed their policy (?).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1309191145|2956223 said:
everyday there's a "new diamond adventure" for Phoenix.. :lol:

;)) :tongue:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1309191751|2956234 said:
I'm thinking that I can't decide if I'm more jealous of your very tiny fingers or your collection... :lol: ...who am I kidding, I wanna play in your jewelry box! :lickout:

Please adopt me!! :saint:

You're too cute! :))

Actually, I'd love to be at a PS get-together at some point. It'd be so much fun, meeting fellow bling addicts!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1309216908|2956589 said:
Oh, Phoenix, I am sooo sorry to hear that! I had so hoped it would work! You might want to measure across the top of your finger to see how many mm there are to cover. Then see how many mm the center stone is and estimate how much diamond space is left. I wear a 5.5 and I know I don't have room for three 1.5's. I think with my 1.6 center I could probably fit a 1 ct. on each side and fill the entire space. So it would be good to see what will really fit on your finger before having it remade.

Thank you, diamondseeker. I really should've listened to you.

That's a good idea to have my finger measured, I don't know why didn't do it before! :confused: I guess I somehow thought Leon would tilt the sidestones and make them work; but alas the stones are too big to be titled in my (fantasy) way! :-o I may go to a local jeweller's and ask them to measure my finger for me. I don't think a simple home measurement tape would work, woudl it? I am going to ask for recommendations from the local jeweller's too, abt the sidestones' size (and hope that they won't try and try me their own stones).

On the bright side, incidentally, the pendant arrived too and it's simply GORGEOUS!! I'm soooooo glad I didn't sell it. It sparkles like mad and the millgraining is just SHEER PERFECTION!! I'm so tempted to sell my J's and keep these 1.50's to turn them into millgrained studs (as I don't think the J's would work, being of a quite a different colour from the H pendant and a little too large for millgraining too - OMG< did I really say that again? blasphemous!! :o ).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker (and everyone else too), since you're so helpful, I'd like to ask yr opinion on something: these two sidestones are not just a little too big, they actually have a different appearance to the BGD centre stone. They're less sparkly (of course since they're only ideal whereas the BGD is super-ideal; well at least I believe it is despite BGD not claiming that the "blues" are their signture H&A). But the centre stone is almost more "translucent", more "fluid" - I don't really know how else to describe it. I wish I could shoot a video to show the effect to you.

So my Q is: instead of waiting to sell these 1.50ct stones, which could take up to a year, and in the meantime, diamond prices may keep on climbing; not to mention that BGD may not be able to get the "blues" of my specs for me. Should I just trade in these stones at JA (say) and get a couple of smaller but higher spec'ed (say VS1 clarity, F colour) "True Hearts" instead? Would they match my centre stone better?

The other thing is I've been waiting for this 3-stone ring for sooo long now (it's been several months since I traded in my last one) and I don't really have another RHR (well, I have the eternity band made up of 21-23 pointers, but it's not the same, ya'know). It'd be lovely to be able to get this ring back sooner than later. But then again, I don't want to rush it and get it wrong again.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1309221580|2956647 said:
Hi Phoenix. I'm sorry your ring is not all that you expected. You have such gorgeous pieces an I know that this project will be a stunner as well. My 3-stone has an 8.3mm center and 6.0 sides (.80 ct each) for a total of 20.3mm across the top. I've attached a photo to give you a visual idea. My ring size is a 6 so it's quite a bit larger than your tiny fingers. (of which I'm soooo jealous). I know you want larger sides and your center is larger so it may look somewhat similar. Not sure if this helps.

Thank you, Farleysmom, for yr lovely words and input. The more I think abt it, and judging from yr photo too (which is fine btw and def helpful), the more it seems that 1.20ct sides would be too large. So the Q now is should they be just over 1ct each or more in the region of 1.10-1.15ct?

May I ask you? Is there room left on your finger on the sides of yr ring, or does yr ring cover yr entire finger? I know that our ring sizes are not the same, but it'd give me some clarity. Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, Farleysmom's picture is SO helpful, because it is showing a 3 stone ring with the maximum stone sizes that will fit the top of her finger. And I love the proportions of her stones to each other. I really think you need to be looking for under a carat each. At .80 each, the ring is still going to be bigger on you than it is on her, so it is really not going to solve anything if you trade for 1 carat sides. Therefore, I don't think upgrading to higher color and clarity will work. You probably will just have to sell the 1.5's on consignment. Although since prices have risen, I'd ask JA what they would pay to buy them back. And yes, I'd want H&A stones to go with a BG stone because it is likely H&A or close to it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1309240032|2956837 said:
diamondseeker2006|1309216908|2956589 said:

Thank you, diamondseeker. I really should've listened to you.

That's a good idea to have my finger measured, I don't know why didn't do it before! :confused: I guess I somehow thought Leon would tilt the sidestones and make them work; but alas the stones are too big to be titled in my (fantasy) way! :-o I may go to a local jeweller's and ask them to measure my finger for me. I don't think a simple home measurement tape would work, woudl it? I am going to ask for recommendations from the local jeweller's too, abt the sidestones' size (and hope that they won't try and try me their own stones).

Your ring size tells us about your finger diameter.

This chart is a rough measurement.
file.jpg

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Silly question but could you have the ring made to fit on your right middle finger, which is likely to be somewhat bigger, rather than your right hand" ring" finger?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1309243411|2956858 said:

Thank you, Farleysmom, for yr lovely words and input. The more I think abt it, and judging from yr photo too (which is fine btw and def helpful), the more it seems that 1.20ct sides would be too large. So the Q now is should they be just over 1ct each or more in the region of 1.10-1.15ct?

May I ask you? Is there room left on your finger on the sides of yr ring, or does yr ring cover yr entire finger? I know that our ring sizes are not the same, but it'd give me some clarity. Thank you.

Visually from the top, the ring covers my entire finger. My stones are set high and with only a very slight tilt so yes, I do have space and could go larger -- probably up to 1.0 ct. Any larger and I'd have to change the tilt of the stones. When I was looking at stone sizes for the sides I tried 1.0ct sides. Although I love a BIG blingy look, I did find that it really took away from the center stone and really seemed to visually blur together (if that makes sense). I've attached a profile of the ring as it may help you with your decision. As you can see from the photo, I do have room at the sides if the shank was changed and the stones angled more.

lmffset.jpg.JPG

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1309269728|2956997 said:
Phoenix, Farleysmom's picture is SO helpful, because it is showing a 3 stone ring with the maximum stone sizes that will fit the top of her finger. And I love the proportions of her stones to each other. I really think you need to be looking for under a carat each. At .80 each, the ring is still going to be bigger on you than it is on her, so it is really not going to solve anything if you trade for 1 carat sides. Therefore, I don't think upgrading to higher color and clarity will work. You probably will just have to sell the 1.5's on consignment. Although since prices have risen, I'd ask JA what they would pay to buy them back. And yes, I'd want H&A stones to go with a BG stone because it is likely H&A or close to it.

Diamondseeker, thank you very much - once again. I'm def going to give sidestones of under 1ct each some serious consideration. I wonder if I could get someone to do me a CAD or mock-up? Do you (or anyone else here) know if I can just order a couple of inexpensive CAD's of the ring with different side options (say just under 1ct and 1.15-ish say) from a vendor (and if so whom) and see how they wld look/ sit on my finger?

There's one more issue that I just realised (well, I guess I kind of noticed it straightaway when I received the ring but didn't think much abt it). This ring design, which I chose straight from LM website without any modification, has the 3 stones lined up almost linearly (but I couldn't see from the website); Whereas when I look at my old BGD 3-stone trellis and also particulary Yssie's ring, the sidestones are tucked under the centre stone. This serves two functions: i) it makes the whole ring less *wide* and perhaps sit better on the finger/ take up less finger coverage; and ii) it highlights the centre stone. As it is, my centre stone looks almost the same size as the sides, even though it is 2.374ct and the sides only 1.5ct each. Problem is also I'd asked Leon to set the ring as low as possible, so even the centre stone is set so low such that the culet almost touches my skin. "Be careful what you ask for", as DH always says!

Yes, I'd prob have to put the 1.5 caraters on consignment, though yr suggestion of asking JA to see if they'd buy them back is EXCELLENT (and I have already just done that). I mean prices have gone up so much since I bought these stones. Retail they're abt $16-18k each and IF I trade them up with JA, I'd for sure lose out. I was hoping to trade them in (rather than trade up, as that would require me to spend double which is not going to happen anyway) and get close to retail prices, and get replacement pieces from JA. I prob won't get that kind of money from selling to them (if they agree to buy, that is) but it never hurts to ask, right?

Another option would be to keep the two sides, send the ring back to have it re-set. The sizing is, as mentioned, wrong. It is not 4 1/4 as per the WO (I haven't had a chance to have it measured yet, but I am SURE that it isn't 4 1/4). The sidestones are also a bit mis-aligned, one is set slightly higher than the other. I don't know if this is a function of the crowns being slightly different, one is a 34.5 and the other a 35, not a lot but it could also be to do with GIA rounding (?).

Yet another option is EVENTUALLY replace the sides (as and when BGD manages to source me new "blues" of whatever appropriate size) and keep the existing stones (and turn them into millgrained studs). I don't see that happening anytime soon though, not least because a) Brian may not be able to source the new "blues" soon, and b) it'd for sure de-rail my Octavia/ Asscher project. I mean money doesn't grow on trees, doesn't it!

Sigh!! I wish I could just leave the whole thing and enjoy the ring as it is! :rolleyes:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Stone-cold11|
Your ring size tells us about your finger diameter.

This chart is a rough measurement.
file.jpg [/quote]

Thank you, Stone cold. As per this table, IF all the stones were set *completely* linearly, then the 3 stones would spread over approx 150% of my finger real estate! :o My sidestones are set slanted to the centre, but only slightly. And also as mentioned, they're not really tucked in under the centre - not in the way that Yssie's and my old ring are. I am guessing (purely) that the finger coverage - across the width of the finger - is abt 110-130% now. Let me see if I can take pics some time this weekend and post them for you guys to see.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1309296778|2957316 said:
Phoenix|1309243411|2956858 said:

Visually from the top, the ring covers my entire finger. My stones are set high and with only a very slight tilt so yes, I do have space and could go larger -- probably up to 1.0 ct. Any larger and I'd have to change the tilt of the stones. When I was looking at stone sizes for the sides I tried 1.0ct sides. Although I love a BIG blingy look, I did find that it really took away from the center stone and really seemed to visually blur together (if that makes sense). I've attached a profile of the ring as it may help you with your decision. As you can see from the photo, I do have room at the sides if the shank was changed and the stones angled more.

Thank you once again, Farleysmom, for your helpful post and photo. Yes, I can definitely see what you mean. I think herein lie the main problems with my ring. I can clearly see that your sidestones are tucked under more and are also more slanted from the centre stone. It's interesting that you think you can go up to 1ct each. Yr centre stone's measurement is abt the same as mine. Although our finger sizes differ, I think the main difference lies in our desire to have the centre stone shine / stand on its own more (or less in my case - though I don't want the centre to get completely lost in a blur of 3 linear stones).

Me thinks the answer may also lie in having the sidestones slanted quite significantly from the centre if I don't wish to go under 1ct each, whilst not have the ring look ridiculous for my finger size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results