shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone ring and jeweler said don't get platinum setting

I am getting a three stone diamond setting ring and I was trying to decide between white gold and platinum. I was planning to get platinum and a local jeweler said because the three diamonds are not flush, meaning my center stone will be raised a little higher than the other two diamonds he said I should go with white gold. He said my center diamond will move a lot in platinum and I will not like it. Is there any truth to that? I don't want to have to keep taking my ring in to get tightened all the time and I don't want to lose my diamond either! Please advise!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3 stone with a 2 ctw center is platinum. You can search my threads to see a pic. Middle stone is higher etc.
I have lots of WG, but truth be told, I prefer platinum.
Do make sure you research ALLOYS - mine is 950Plat/RU (ruthenium). It's true that some mixtures are softer. Go what I used or plat950/IR (iridium),

Avoid plat900/IR

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get the feeling that your local jeweler just doesn't like to or doesn't have a bench with the expertise to work with a diversity of metals and designs.

Say you are ok with going forward with gold. Before you commit to your local jeweler, ask them to provide you with pictures of 3 stone rings they have created in the past, videos, or even better - actual models on display.

Also, it doesn't hurt to get a couple of quotes from vendors that are commonly used by PSers. It is always good to have a market survey on hand to check your local jeweler's price quote or negotiate with.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - I switched my numbers up above. SO sorry!

Go with plat950/RU or Plat900/IR and AVOID PLat950/IR

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My three stone ring has a yellow gold shank but all stones are set in platinum. Knock on wood I've never had a loose stone in eleven years. My center stone sits up higher.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My threestone is platinum. I wore it for about 11 years before resetting it. As I recall, I had the center stone tightened twice in the 11 years. Sides...never. I wouldn't consider anything but platinum. Old one appears below.

_38115.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree. Your jeweler doesn't sound like they have a good bench. I'm sorry. The problem isn't the metal. It's their skill level.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rocks|1472524905|4071335 said:
My threestone is platinum. I wore it for about 11 years before resetting it. As I recall, I had the center stone tightened twice in the 11 years. Sides...never. I wouldn't consider anything but platinum. Old one appears below.

Sorry for the thread jack but how did you reset this ring? Would love to see pictures!!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Same style, Bigger side stones., and the stones are set about 1.5mm higher to allow for an eternity without rubbing. The ones in the ring pictured above are .45 each and new ring (below) has .63 each. Center is 1.75. I was fretting between the .63's and a pair of .80plus that I have...finally decided the ring would be too big for my fingers....4 3/4. The side stones are "super ideal" and perfectly matched. The old ring sat a bit lower, which I perfer, but the modification was necessary.

Excuse the nasty fingers.....

_38118.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rocks|1472571567|4071449 said:
Same style, Bigger side stones., and the stones are set about 1.5mm higher to allow for an eternity without rubbing. The ones in the ring pictured above are .45 each and new ring (below) has .63 each. Center is 1.75. I was fretting between the .63's and a pair of .80plus that I have...finally decided the ring would be too big for my fingers....4 3/4. The side stones are "super ideal" and perfectly matched. The old ring sat a bit lower, which I perfer, but the modification was necessary.

Excuse the nasty fingers.....

Interesting - thanks for the new picture! Do you like the three stone with the larger sidestones better? Your proportions on the old setting are more like what I have - just wondering if you truly like the new size stones now that it is done? We always toy with updating or whatever but you never know for sure how well you'll like it when it's done. Hope you are loving your beautiful new ring!!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My pleasure. Yes, I do prefer the proportions of the new ring to the old. I always knew that the .45's were a bit too small, but I had them.....the new ring does overhang ny finger a bit. When I first got it my fingers were smaller...4 1/4 as I recall. The old ring was a bit more delicate and lower, which I prefer. As I mentioned, the change was necessary. I'm happy.

Your center stone is larger than mine...makes increasing the size of the sidestones difficult unless you have large fingers.....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rocks|1472595624|4071598 said:
My pleasure. Yes, I do prefer the proportions of the new ring to the old. I always knew that the .45's were a bit too small, but I had them.....the new ring does overhang ny finger a bit. When I first got it my fingers were smaller...4 1/4 as I recall. The old ring was a bit more delicate and lower, which I prefer. As I mentioned, the change was necessary. I'm happy.

Your center stone is larger than mine...makes increasing the size of the sidestones difficult unless you have large fingers.....

After I got my channel set band, I didn't think much more about increasing the sidestones. I still like the look and just don't want to borrow trouble - I would hate to spend time and money and end up not liking the change. I've kicked around many ideas through the years but just seem to stick with what I have. Your new ring is very pretty though and I am glad you loved the change!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do a mock up. I actually put various sidestones in a sample mounting with a center stone like mine. The only unknown was height. I wanted it lower, but he also knows that an eternity is on my list. The ring is handmade, and I know the fabricator quite well....he indulges my idiosyncracies. He made the first one as well as a sapphire Threestone about 20 years ago. Still love it. He designed a pair of 4 prong champagne style flush fit studs for me long before they had a name....I,didn't like the traditional baskets...so we worked on it. I only have one ring that he made that was a failure, so I'm not complaining!

Thank you all for your replies! I decided to go with Platinum and I did not use that Jeweler. I believe I remembered him saying that Platinum was a lot harder to work with than gold. Picking out the size of my side diamonds was the tricky part and I hope it turns out well! I have a 1.12 ct for the center and I went with .56 ct on each side. I debated between doing .40 or .50 on each side because I want my center diamond to stand out and not blend in with the side diamonds. It looked good in the store, but I will know soon and will hopefully post a picture for you all. Thanks again!

And I want to add, "Wow!" You all have really beautiful rings! All your advice has been really helpful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you went with platinum - I don't think you will be sorry! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished ring!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You selected "tiffany proportions". Take a look at their three stone rings and you will have a pretty good idea about what you will get. Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results