shape
carat
color
clarity

3 (or higher) carat diamond engagement ring ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a 3 (or higher) carat diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years. We've known each other for 3 1/2 years and taking the next step of marriage very soon.

I'd like to purchase something in the 3 to 3.5 carat range. Any thoughts? She also loves the designer settings by Tacori? Any suggestions on Tacori's merchandise? I have heard only great reviews, but thought I would double check here.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

Check out the site: www.tacori.com -- She likes "the rose bud" setting.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
What color/clarity were you thinking of?
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
And what shape stone?
rodent.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
good point velter esq! shame on me for assuming RB!
rolleyes.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a very major rock..... Is there some reason for the size range? It will look pretty large on a small hand or on a rather young lady....

I know everyone, or nearly everyone, wants a big rock, but wearing one on a daily basis poses special issues of security, insurance, damage, etc.

The quality you are looking for and the shape are of interest to us.

reena

Ideal_Rock
1.gif
i think it was probably a safe assumption actually.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
First off, I think David Atlas makes are great point. Not that anyone should be deprived of a 3+ carat ring or anything, but depending on the age of the lucky-lady-to-be, a diamond of that size might be inappropriate. Questions to ask oneself include what kind of socioeconomic "circles" does she affiliate? (Perhaps it is the norm to get an e-ring that large.) What about the geographical area? (Some areas are just not the best to wearing that sort of thing on a regular basis.) Insurance is another matter -- that is a must. It is one thing to shell out the cash for the initial purchase of the ring, but you have to consider the annual cost of insurance. If you own a home there is a homeowners policy to add the ring on as a floater it is much less costly, I believe, than to take out a specific jewelery policy. My policy doesn't break it down per item, but for both my 4.04 tcw (3.29 RB plus .75 tcw for two trillion side stones) and my 5 ctw diamond studs, the annual cost of the insurance floater on my homeowner's policy is $1600.

As to the cost of purchasing this ring and mounting, you are looking at a hefty outlay of cash. I can tell you that just for a stone like mine, which is NOT ideal cut, SI2 clarity, H color, and that is with an EGL cert, in the 3-3.5 carat range it will cost around $20k via internet (B & M a bit more). And if you want an ideal cut, and better clarity and color, as well as GIA or AGS cert, add another $10k MINIMUM. Then add on your Tacori mounting, which those run anywhere from $5-10k just for the mounting! I don't know if Heiny10 is aware of what his specs will cost.

Back to the issue of the size, I got my 3.29 a month prior to my 38th birthday. This was not the size of the diamond I received when I became engaged at age 24 (1.01 carat). Honestly, while I would've died and gone to heaven to have recieved this stone back then, I really was too young to pull it off. It would've seemed completely inappropriate to our lifestyle at the time.

Also, as far as "daily" wear is concerned, as I've stated on this forum on other threads many times, my ring is set EXTREMELY low and this really makes a difference in that it doesn't stand out. While the stone is big, it is very understated. I know that sounds funny when describing a ring of over 4 carats total weight, but it really is understated. I think another element that contributes to its understated design is the fact that I don't have the center stone sitting higher that the side stones -- the center diamond sits on the same plane as the two trillions that flank it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
headlight i would love to see a picture of your ring! it sounds lovely!

re: the size of the stone, note that pete never said anything about how old his bride-to-be is.
2.gif
a 3+ carat stone IS big, but depending on the factors others have mentioned, it might be perfectly appropriate.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
The above posters are wise.
appl.gif

We are paying more than a thousand dollars annually for the baubles.
Makes you think twice!!!!

But in defense of youngsters wearing larger rocks -- it really depends on the wearer's profession and her comfort level with the risks that accompany wearing a larger stone. In no way would I wear such a 3+ carat e-ring if I had to work with my hands in confined spaces (dentist/engineer/etc.) or if I worked as a social worker. It wouldn't be appropriate or comfortable. But in other situations, it would be completely appropriate!

Either way, I'm sure she'll be overjoyed with your choice!!!! All diamonds, regardless of their size, are gorgeous creations.
CONGRATULATIONS!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm assuming that because Heiny10 already knows he wants 3+ carats, he has figured out the appropriateness of the size for his lady.

However, just in case, I'll say that as a wearer of a 2.5+ ring, I am surprised to find that it is not as easy to wear as I would have thought. It's plain ol'big, and I am always aware of having it on. (Not that I don't like it, but it never just becomes seamless with my hand to me like my original 1.25 did.) It might be that it is set semi-high, (I'll probably change that) and I live a pretty down to earth lifestyle. I would never have wanted a ring this size in my younger years (20's - 30's). It would have been too flashy for my style, and would have stood out in my working world, even tho I was in LA and the Bay Area when I was younger.

So, my advice is to make sure ths size makes sense for your lady's lifestyle, and then think about the everyday-ness of wearing the ring. I would suggest setting it fairly low so that it is comfortable for everyday. It will still show up plenty!

At this size, you will pay dearly for color and clarity. I remember a jeweler calculated for me how much $$/carat each clarity grade cost in the sizes I was looking at, and it was in the thousands. (ex. I seem to remember the difference between VS1 and VS2 was going to be somewhere in the $3500 range. You can't see the difference in those grades normally.) Thus, decide what's important to you. Cut makes a huge visual difference. Clarity doesn't if you stay at SI1/2 but "eye clean" or VS. Color is personal and will show a little more in a larger stone. You should go look at different colored well cut stones to see if you see the color differences.

Good luck!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 6:12:51 PM reena wrote:

headlight i would love to see a picture of your ring! it sounds lovely!

re: the size of the stone, note that pete never said anything about how old his bride-to-be is.
2.gif
a 3+ carat stone IS big, but depending on the factors others have mentioned, it might be perfectly appropriate.
----------------

hey reena-

check out headlight's ring in this thread

1.gif
Ain't it purty?!
1.gif

dib

Shiny_Rock
I think a lot of you had valid reasons for telling this guy to really think about whether he wants a 3+ carat ring, but don't deprive this lucky girl of something that her boyfriend wants to get her. I would be upset if my boyfriend was going to get me a 3+ stone (especially if that's what i really wanted) and was talked out of it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think he should go for it.

anyway, headlight!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
it's TDF! (to die for)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, quaeritur, for your kind compliment.
Dib, please know that I am in no way trying to talk this gentleman out of purchasing his gf a gorgeous, large ROCK. Anyone who knows me personally or through my posts on the diamond forums knows that I am all in favor of large diamonds!
Pete specifically asked for thoughts, so I guess some of us shared ours with him. But, by all means, he should by her what he wants!

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help and advice. My soon-to-be fiance is 26 1/2 years old. We live in Southern California (Orange County). Her daily life consists of working as a Registered Dietician in Newport Beach, CA. She does mingle with many doctors and attends several conferences. She also works out a ton and teaches YOGA on the side because she has such love for people and bringing peace to their lives. We plan to have babies within the second year of our marriage. She is dying to be a mom!
1.gif

I have a few more questions. Can anyone go into detail about the insurance costs a 3 carat diamond would cost? I do own a home -- so if that helps let me know.

Also -- If we do have children right off the bat. I was wondering if a ring that size would be in the way?

She is 5'4" - 105 pounds. I call her my teeny-baby sometimes. Please let me know your opinions on her height/weight proportions with the size of the engagement ring.

To sum things up, she's the most wonderful woman that deserves the best a man can offer -- That is why I want to give all that I can in the form of a ring to show her just how much I love her and committed to her.

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. We are looking for either a ROUND or CUSHION CUT diamond 3-4 carats, D-F, but not sure about clarity -- nothing less than SI1. Also can anyone tell me how to find a diamond that is "wider" looking -- I've seen some diamonds that are 2.5 carats that look almost the same size as a 3 carat. What should I look/ask for if I want a "wider" face?

reena

Ideal_Rock
pete! you sound just so sweet and it's clear that you are totally in love with your sweetie.
1.gif
it's very nice.

i am not surprised to hear that you live in SoCal--from what i hear (and have seen) one sees enormous diamonds there on a regular basis! honestly, if you want to go with the 3+ carat, go for it--there is no doubt that it will look absolutely huge on her (she sounds tiny) but that is not necessarily a bad thing. do you happen to know her ring size? also has she expressed a preference for a size stone one way or another? it depends on her personality but some women might be self-conscious wearing a huge diamond ring that will attract a lot of attention, others would have no problem with it at all! it's really just a matter of preference. my only other concern with a ring of that size would be what others have said--if she has tiny hands, it COULD be too cumbersome and large to be comfortable for daily wear. but then, maybe not! the best thing, i think, is to try to get a sense of what she has in mind (or make an educated guess based on her personality and personal style). the 3+ carat would of course be fabulous, but there's no doubt that a well-cut 2 or 2.5 carat stone would be fabulous, too, if you think she would prefer that!

i happen to be a cushion cut lover, and i also think that you can go pretty big on cushion cuts without it looking like "too much", so that's my vote!
1.gif
i'm not an expert but i spent a lot of time searching for my own cushion so if you decide to go that route and i can help you in any way, i'd be happy to.

has your GF expressed any preference for a particular type of setting?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Reena!

Pete --
1. Obviously, she is a professional living in a very affluent area, so the size you are interested in is very realistic (no one will think it must be fake!).
2. As I stated in my earlier post, I am paying $1600 a year as a jewelry floater on my homeowner's but that is for both my 4.04 tcw diamond ring and my 5.00 tcw diamond studs; I, too, live in So. Cal.
3. As for height/weight, I am 5'2-1/2" and weigh 100, so it sounds as thought we are pretty much "proportionally" the same, and I think my 3.29 RB center stone looks "just right"!
4. Just so you know, different shapes of diamonds will appear larger or smaller for the average carat weight when compared to each other -- for example, square cuts and cushion cuts will look smaller than their same weight round brilliant counterparts; similarly, the elongated nature of shapes like marquise or ovals give them an appearance of being larger than their carat weight. As for stones that look larger for their carat weight when compared to other stones of the same shape, I believe you are referring to "spread" (experts, please help me out here). Stones that are cut very deep, while still possessing a certain carat weight, will appear smaller than a stone of similar carat weight that was not cut too deep. Thus, stones cut more shallow will obviously do the reverse and appear larger, but there is a point at which you will sacrafice beauty as a result. Likewise, a stone with a large table will also yield a larger "visual", but again you have to be careful because you don't want to sacrafice beauty. Personally, I actually like the look of rounds with larger tables (not extremely large), however a stone that is ideally cut, irregardless of the table are said to yield a very "large" look due to their incredible sparkle. Bottom line is that if you want to maximize on the "largeness" of a particular carat weight, you need to find that "sweet spot" where the "largeness" is maxed out before it sacrafices on visual beauty.
5. The words you spoke of your gf are absolutely beautiful
love.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
headlight's description of the spread issue is right on, from my understanding!
appl.gif

but wow, i'm actually planning to move to southern california in the very near future, and i'm starting to think i might need a bigger diamond!
2.gif
seems like all of the pricescopers from that area have 3c + stones--pete's soon to be fiancee, headlight, researcher . . . please tell me i won't be the only one sporting something in the 2c range!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No, Reena, dont worry -- your 2 ct will most certainly stand out! What area in So. Cal are you moving to? Not ALL areas in California are flooded with large diamonds!!!

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Headlight --

Can you direct me on where to view/find the best diamonds in Southern CA? Is it better to purchase such a large diamond online or at a local hot spot. Have you heard of Tacori? She really likes the Tacori settings. Are there any others I should look into?

There is one more thing I could use some advice on. How high would you set a diamond of this size in one of those Tacori settings? She likes the ROSE BUD set... it consists of two (one for the engagement ring and one for the wedding band) eternity bands (diamonds all over the place) --would you set it lower or higher. Where do you go to set your jewelry?

Thanks again,

Pete

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Thanks Reena for your advice on shapes. I am leaning towards ROUND because I think it will fit best within the setting she's been eyeing. We saw someone with a cushion cut the other day which was very pretty as well. I will let you know if I switch back.

Thanks again,

P

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hi. Congrats on finding your true love!
appl.gif
1.gif
I have heard--could be wrong--that Tacori settings are typically designed to fit a 1-2 ct stone. perhaps you could get the design custom made to accomodate your fabulous 3 ct+ stone? Although it sounds like you are not concerned about finances (God Bless you!), the mark-up on tacori is ridiculous.

Congrats again! And remember to post the ring when you get it all done.
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heiny10, here is an example of a beautiful ring with a 3.01ct center diamond that just sparkles all over. Thought you might want to see one in real life with a matching band. This is Jennifer5973's ring.

Oh, check out the nails, they are beautifully manicured too !!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
hey, thanks, cflutist.
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 9:38:57 PM headlight wrote:

No, Reena, dont worry -- your 2 ct will most certainly stand out! What area in So. Cal are you moving to? Not ALL areas in California are flooded with large diamonds!!! ----------------

to san diego--which IS flooded with large diamonds from what i saw--but don't worry, i was only kidding.

pete, i think tacori's settings are gorgeous and i think you're right, they might fit a round stone better. good luck!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pete,

Since you are in OC, then the best place to start this diamond searching journey is downtown LA. (the jewelry district) There are alot of stores within 7 to 8 blocks radius. Don't get stuck with 1 or 2 jewelers, visit as many as you can and compare everything, LOOK at every stone. Remember, prices are always negotiable!! It's like buying a car, you never take their first quote.

good luck...
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! THAT is going to be a gorgeous ring. I guess since it's been said to be sure a 3+ct is what she wants, definitely do that. Otherwise. Wow.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Pete--
Obviously, there are some very nice jewelers in your area -- like Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza.
However, you will get a better deal buying on-line. Also, if the vendor is outside of CA, you will save on the sales tax which is considerable given the item you are looking to purchase.
One particular vendor that comes to mind is Diamond Brokers of Florida (www.diamondbrokersofflorida.com). Not only do they provide all the Brilliancescope reports/photos, etc. -- basically everything you could ever want to get on a stone -- but they are also dealers of Tacori, so they can do the whole thing. I've seen tons of photos of their completed rings and the diamonds are absolutely breathtaking (stones of the highest light return) and their workmanship on setting stones, etc. is top-notch.
Or, you could go with someone like Superbcert, Whiteflash, Dirt Cheap Diamonds (these are all internet vendors that provide all the extensive data on the stones), and then purchase the mounting and have the stone set at a jeweler local to you that is a vendor for Tacori. There are a few of them in your area. If you go to the Tacori website, you can look up where to buy via zip code. Having the stone set and the mounting purchased locally means you have a "home" to go for periodic prong checks and regular cleanings, etc.
As for shape, if she is set on the Rosebud design, then I think it really calls for a round cut. Also, it seems like both of you are trying to get the biggest look possible (that's how I am, too!) and the round is going to look larger than a cushion of the same carat weight.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I believe niceice.com also carries Tacori. And they have amazing stones as well
1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Heiny10- you are just a doll! You are obviously very in love...one thing to definitely keep in mind is that if you are planning to have babies sooner rather than later, a nice low profile setting like Headlight's is a must. Rocks that jut out a lot poke and scratch little ones, get gunked up with food and spit-up and worse, and for the first few years you are washing your hands all the dang time. So take that into consideration, otherwise her lovely ring will sit in her jewelry box except for special occasions until the munchkins are in kindergarten! Also, since she works out a lot, you want a setting that she can wear for most of her workouts.

I've helped guide several of my male friends during their diamond buying quest- most of them started out wanting nothing less than D/F, VVS1- after actually seeing a large variety of colors and clarities most of them revised their priorities, opting instead for maximum carat bang for their buck, via an optimal cut and lower color and clarity. In any case, good luck, there's lots of good advice and counsel to be found here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results