shape
carat
color
clarity

3 (or higher) carat diamond engagement ring ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/7/2004 8:16:47 PM Heiny10 wrote:

Anyway, I want to purchase the best 3 carat diamond I can. I need to know. What is better CUT or COLOR. ----------------

1.gif
Local jeweler doesn't wanna lose the big sale
2.gif
who can blame her/him? I think everyone here will agree that CUT should be the number one priority for a beautiful, sparkly diamond. A terrific cut can also help mask color... speaking of, maybe if you give an i-net vendor a shot, their price will be lower than the B&M jeweler so you don't have to sacrifice cut or color...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, cut AND color for you are going to both be very important. Cut quality is key, but since she is supposedly so color-sensitive, this is also going to be a concern for you. However, keep in mind that if she is comparing various color grades of stones at the jeweler, sure you will see a difference among them... but once you own the stone and it is set in the mounting and you are not comparing it to the other stones in the store, it really won't be an issue. I would think you would be able to go as low as a GIA graded G color and be safe. When you hit H color, some people think they see a tint, although if it is a true H, then many say you shouldn't see anything. As you may have already found out, there is a significant difference in price between an E color and a G! If your wallet can handle the E (or F or G), then go for it!!! Now that she isn't concerned with the Tacori mounting, you have more to spend on the diamond, which I think is really the most important part anyhow. People change their mountings much more frequently than they do their center diamonds. Also, with a stone of the size you are buying for her, hopefully she won't feel the need to get a larger stone for a long time. Of course, the cost of a beautiful eternity band in stones large enough to compliment a 3 carat solitaire isn't going to be cheap! Of course your jeweler told you not to buy online because then he loses a HUGE sale! Do what you are comfortable with, but there are many on-line vendors who are very reputable that sell only the highest quality of diamonds, such as Superbcert, Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, Nice Ice, etc. They all provide all the various scope photos and light return reports so you are armed with tons of info on the stone's quality and "performance". Also, they all offer a return "window" so you can have the stone shipped straight to an independent appraiser in your area for you to review the stone and decide if it something you, indeed want to go through with on the purchase. These jewelers also can set the stone for you. I know that Superbcert and Nice Ice both have fabulous replicas of the authentic Tiffany & Co legendary 6-prong mounting in platinum -- the only difference is it won't have the T & Co stamp on the inside of the shank but otherwise they are identical matches.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
----------------

She even see's little hints of yellow in some diamonds (it was a G-H -- so I guess that's a little yellowish -- right?)

Anyway, I want to purchase the best 3 carat diamond I can. I need to know. What is better CUT or COLOR. We saw one diamond that was VS1-VS2 and it was beautiful -- looked almost flawless, but small hints of yellowish color.

I would like to purchase in the E-F or F-G range if possible -- VS2-VS1, etc.

One more thing...SHE'S ALSO CHANGED HER MIND ON HER SETTING. No more Tacori (well at least for right now). She wants the somewhat TIFFANY style 'classic 6 prong' platinum setting for the 3 carat diamond. The only thing she is weighing now is what kind of wedding band to go with it...(eternity band of diamonds or just a platinum band). If you go classic all around, do you get bored of it?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Pete

P.S. I've been working with a local jeweler -- he says do not buy a diamond of this size on the internet... What do you all think of that?

----------------

1) Always go for the best cut, next best color. A very well cut G will probably look less yellow than a not so well cut G. I also am very color sensistive...spend my days looking at ultrasound images and distinguishing between 64 shades of gray...but I find that unless they are unset and sitting next ot each other against a white background, I cannot tell the difference between an E or F. I can see the yellow in some G's.

2) For inclusions...also the very well cut diamond will often hide an inclusion. This is more subjective though- an eye clean SI1 is way better than a VS2 that has the inclusion in a visible place.

3) OF COURSE HE SAID THAT! I cannot think of many B&M's that would say otherwise. I would seriously think about at least investigating the on-line choices first..if you narrow it down and have them sent for evaluation by an independent appraiser where you can also eye-ball them, I think you are pretty safe. At least that way, you have really investigated your options...if they do not pass muster, then you can work through your hometown guy.

From all that I have heard, the integrity of those that deal with Pricescopers often is pretty good. Plus because they know that they are working in an area where sight unseen rarely ends up in a purchase, they work with you to help pick out the best stones to meet your parameters- then send them for review.

As for the ring- go with the classic look- if she gets bored with it she can change in the future. I would rather risk that than investing in a $3k setting that she may also tire of. Easier to go from inexpensive to pricey, than from pricey to another pricey setting.

Best of luck with your hunting.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
For example, this 3.01 G VS2 looks like it might be nice...
3.gif
(tho Mark would hafta run a sarin so you could get the all-important crown/pav angles)

JOEELI7

Rough_Rock
why a 3 carat size ?

a 3 carat something in the middle grade will cost around $27,000 higher grade will be over $38,000 and higher. do you have any idea what the prices are? prices are very expensive due to a high demand and short supply on the market.

start off with 1.50cts then work your way up to a happy occasion ie (a new baby or 3 year anniversary) something to look forward too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

Ok....I've done some more researching and even tried on a few diamonds with my girlfriend. She has as we joke... 'Diamond Eyes' -- She can see inclusions and if the diamond isn't colorless, etc. She even see's little hints of yellow in some diamonds (it was a G-H -- so I guess that's a little yellowish -- Heyright?)

Anyway, I want to purchase the best 3 carat diamond I can. I need to know. What is better CUT or COLOR. We saw one diamond that was VS1-VS2 and it was beautiful -- looked almost flawless, but small hints of yellowish color.

I would like to purchase in the E-F or F-G range if possible -- VS2-VS1, etc.

One more thing...SHE'S ALSO CHANGED HER MIND ON HER SETTING. No more Tacori (well at least for right now). She wants the somewhat TIFFANY style 'classic 6 prong' platinum setting for the 3 carat diamond. The only thing she is weighing now is what kind of wedding band to go with it...(eternity band of diamonds or just a platinum band). If you go classic all around, do you get bored of it?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Pete

P.S. I've been working with a local jeweler -- he says do not buy a diamond of this size on the internet... What do you all think of that?

----------------

Heiny10
You don't have to worry about buying a diamond from any of the vendors here on P.S.,i bought a 3 ct from (jonathan) good old gold who is very honest and he will work with you.

The best grade i would go is G-VS1 top ideal cut ,that will look like a D-IF to me ,but my pair of eyes is over 45 yrs old so it don't take much to fool them.
2.gif

lenhejo

Rough_Rock

The center stone in this pic is a 3.095 E VS2 H&A AGS000 purchased from Good Old Gold this past May. The setting is a three sided Michael B setting with 158 diamonds weighing approximately 1.75 carats for a TCW of 4.8 carats. My fiance, Karen, is only 25 (i am 26), but really pulls this stone off well and wears it every day. Being from Manhattan she has a number of friends with rings in the 4 - 6 carat (center stone) range but most of these diamonds are not ideal cut H&A AGS000 stones. We chose to sacrifice size for quality. Its really a personal call but I personally thought the 4 carats looked too big. 3.1 carats was a perfect size. She is 5ft 6, 110 lbs and has long fingers. And we love the E color! Also, i was looking at SI1 stones but was a little uncomfortable going with an SI1 in such a large stone. The specs on the stone are as follows:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Size: 3.095 Carat
Color: E
Clarity: VS2

AGS Ideal O
Hearts & Arrows
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Isee2 Analysis - 9.7/10
Brilliance Scope Analysis:
White Light: High
Color Light: Very High
Scintillation: Very High

Total depth: 61%
Table size: 56.2%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.9
Pavillion Depth: 43.1
Culet Size - .4% - Very Small
Girdle Min: 1.2% - Thin
Girdle Max: 1.8% - Sl. Thick
Girdle Avg: 1.5% - Medium

HCA score - 1.5

I promise to post more pics when i have a chance to take them.

26P18.jpg

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Wow, I really appreciate your response. The ring and combo is beautiful. Where did you find your setting? Custom? If so, by who? I agree w/ the 4 carat being a bit to large, but the 3 or 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, etc is what I've been concentrating on.

May I ask to see a photo of this ring on your fiance hand? I know that sounds odd, but there's something about that, that helps me visualize how something like that might look on my girlfriend.

I agree with going w/ higher color and cut. May I ask where you purchased your diamond? Online or locally? If so -- would you mind pointing me to your diamond guy/place?

I'd greatly appreciate any help possible. I am going to look @ stones this week and weekend from a few local stores in Newport Beach, CA. I'd like to find something quickly.

One more thing. What is the width of your band? 2 or 3? Are the diamonds around the band pave or prong?

Thanks,

Pete

reena

Ideal_Rock
he notes above that the stone is from good old gold and the setting is by michael b.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lenhejo...did you post about your ring in SMTR? That thing is breathtaking! Please post more pictures of it, I'd love to see it face down from the side on the hand, on the hand, etc. 3c in that MB 3 sided pave...swoon. It must be mega bling. Is she going to get the matching wedding band? Mine is like a junior version of that one....but I can have aspirations!
2.gif

Heiny, the MB settings are pave set, and that one is probably close to 3mm since it's triple-sided with diamonds. MB also has a single pave setting which is diamonds just on the top and I believe, none on the prongs.

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
Hi Heiny,

The setting is a three-sided pave Michael B custom setting. I added the diamonds going up the prongs - apparently it was the first of this type of ring to be made. I purchased my Michael B setting from Pealmans Jewelers in Lansing, Michigan. Pearlmans has been in business for over 50 years and Bill Pealman was a pleasure to work with. I too currently reside in Orange County California. Luckily for us, Michael B is headquartered in Studio city. I visited his store and actually met Michael B and his wife - they were extremely nice and helpful. When it comes to pave, Michael B is the best. The workmanship is so meticulous that you will never find a copy that can hold its own against an original. I'll get you the name of the jewerly store Michael B is headquartered in tomorrow. As far as hand pics are concerned, i will get you them as soon as i can. I will see, karen, my fiance this weekend when i fly to manhattan. I can't tell you how goregeous the ring is. Pictures really don't do it justice - you just have to see it upclose. I would recommend calling Bill Pearlman at Pearlmans or you could drive down to studio city to see Michael B. As far as the width of the setting is concerned, I am not quite sure. Just ask for the traditional three-sided pave Michael B setting. Also ask about adding the diamonds up the prongs - not on top of the prongs, just along the sides of the prongs. The diamond prongs, in my opinion, really makes this peace. As you can see the ring is literally covered in diamonds on all sides. It truly is exquisite. I just ordered the matching wedding band - also from Pealmans. Good luck and please private message if you have any questions. You can give me a call tomorrow at my office Irvine if you like. Good luck.

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,

I will post some more pics as soon as I get a hold of my fiance. And Mara I wanted to thank you for all of your help as well. This ring would not have been possible without you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Aaron...I am not sure exactly how I assisted in such a large way but you're welcome?
2.gif
If I had anything to do with you selecting such a wonderful stone and setting, I'm GLAD!

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
I have found a diamond that my sister and I went to see yesterday. Here are the specs:

Measures: 9.45 x 9.35 x 5.95
Prep: Excellent
Depth: 63.3%
Table: 56%
Crown: 16%
Pavilion: 44
Girdle: Medium Faceted
Finish: Excellent

SI1
Color: G
Flour: None

IDEAL CUT
1.gif

EGL -- Certified. Is that ok or is it better to go with GIA, etc?

Let me know what you all think... I could really use the help. I have a few more stones I am looking @ this weekend.

HONEST opinions is appreciated!
1.gif

Thanks,

Pete

I wanted to go with a D, E, F orginially, but this G looks just like them with it's ideal cut and all. What do you all think?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, as you have now discovered, you can go with a nice G color and save a bundle, especially in the carat range you are looking at.

As for EGL, is it USA or Israel? Israel gets a bad rap, but mine is EGL-Israel and personally I don't really care. My only concern was that it was a "back-up" that the diamond wasn't being represented anything other than it is. Also, EGL graded stones usually cost a little less, so if you want to find places to save there is another one. But, a lab such as GIA or AGS are very important to many people for varied reasons so you just have to decide what is important to you. They say that EGL USA is supposedly better (more consistent with GIA grades) but that is debatable.

I'd like to know what others on this board think of the depth - 63.3%... is that too deep? My stone is 3.29 and is 9.59x9.51-5.85

I'm not knowledgeable to make the call on that so I'd like for others to chime in on the measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results