shape
carat
color
clarity

3 new Tan cheapos: spinel, chrysoberyl, sphene

dzop

Shiny_Rock
3 new stones from Tan. Aggregate cost for the 3 was around $70. The spinel and sphene are around 1.30, the Chrysoberyl is ~0.75.

They are all beautiful. My cellphone is insensitive to greens, so it's making the sphene and (particularly) chrysoberyl look much browner and less saturated than they actually are. This was taken under mixed cloudy daylight (we're socked in here today) and incandescent.

The chrysoberyl is, perhaps, a tad light in tone, but its about as saturated as such a light-toned stone could be, a perfect shade of "optic" yellow. It's also exceptionally well-cut-- showing a big tilt window here, but there's no window face up and no fat-bellied pavilion so it faces up very large for its size.

The spinel was one of those lighter greyish-blue Tanzania spinels that's been listed recently. It is -much- bluer than I expected. It does color shift a little in incandescent, but much less than my other blue spinels. And, while I don't have a UV handy, it seems to fluoresce a little---it has a cool blue sheen/glow in sunlight. The downside is that it's very poorly cut- it doesn't face up that much bigger than the chrysoberyl (despite being 80% heavier) and the belly is so fat that it has a big window despite being plenty deep-- the last facets are only a few degrees away from parallel to the table. If it wasn't a $20 stone, I might get it recut so it'd pop....but it was a $20 stone.

The sphene is jaw-dropping, a 10 out of 10. An oh-shit stone. It's going to make a hell of a pendant for my girlfriend. The dispersion is wild, it's a legit eye-clean (despite sugary inclusions in the magnified pic on the listing- the statement in the listing that the stone was eye-clean was 100% true), and the body color is excellent in daylight, browning only a little under incandescent. What makes the stone so wild is that you have this very complex greenish-slightly brownish-yellow color, a very warm, soft color...and then BAM the thing lights up like a disco ball if there's any sort of point-source light nearby. As always, a preposterous bargain.

IMG00041-20100823-1725.jpg

IMG00046-20100823-1801.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!

Sphene (as you can see from my avatar) has a lot of different faces. Some of the golden yellow/brown body ones tend to be very dispersive in light. Greener ones of course tend to be more desired, but they can also be a bit on the expensive side. I tend to like a yellow/green body color since I don't always carry a pen light around with me :???: (actually I do, but well...you now :lol: ) They're also notoriously hard to capture in photo

The only thing with the sphene is that when you set it, get only prong set. Also make sure whomever sets it has set more than a sapphire or a diamond.

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Another one bitten by the sphene bug! They are very cool stones. I picked up a green one from Tan here recently myself. :naughty:

I really like that blue spinel. I think I was bidding on that one as well! :bigsmile:

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian said:
Nice!

Sphene (as you can see from my avatar) has a lot of different faces. Some of the golden yellow/brown body ones tend to be very dispersive in light. Greener ones of course tend to be more desired, but they can also be a bit on the expensive side. I tend to like a yellow/green body color since I don't always carry a pen light around with me :???: (actually I do, but well...you now :lol: ) They're also notoriously hard to capture in photo

The only thing with the sphene is that when you set it, get only prong set. Also make sure whomever sets it has set more than a sapphire or a diamond.

-A

What surprised me most about this sphene was: (a) it had a much more attractive body color than I expected- much less brown, much more green, and (b) the dispersion is triggered by almost anything. It works in office fluorescent light, it works in home ordinary incandescent....basically, the only setting in which it doesn't disperse is indirect sunlight.

Here's a picture of the blue spinel doing it's weird glowy thing..it really comes alive in sunlight. It does NOT look this good in all light.

IMG00049-20100823-1835.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no question the blue spinel and sphene are awesome! You did really well on the blue spinel as it’s not too dark and the blue is quite bright and blue indeed. Do you mind my asking how large it is? And welcome to fun world of sphenes. Yes, they just go crazy under just about any and all light sources so it’s a lightshow all the time. Yes, my sphene is also muted under indirect sunlight which was a surprise for me initially.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new stones. I am also impatiently waiting on two more sphenes and love their performance even in low light. I like your blue spinel too.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colors really do look lovely. Do you have a macro setting on your camera. I would love to see the true facets/ colors/brilliance of these stones.........especially the sphene. I love Arcadians sphene!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene is such an interesting stone. I quite like how it looks in indirect lighting (at least the yellow/green - green/yellow ones) So while after I had purchased my first, I learned to get what I liked for indirect lighting unless I wanted to tape the pen light to my jacket :lol:

My largest is just over 5cts. (I wish I had went bigger) I want to get a super green one...its on my wish list. (just need to find a sugar daddy :tongue: )

Do you plan on setting the spinel at all? it does look to be a very nice color from what I can see.

-A

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool. I like the spinel!

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Chrono,

I don't have the exact size, but the spinel is 1.3ct, ~8x6.

W/r/t the spinel: the color, at least in daylight, is basically the perfect color for an aquamarine. I probably wont get it set b/c it's poorly cut and it's not eye clean, but it's absolutely a lovely color, nothing like the other blue spinels I own.

Ironically, in daylight, the best lookin' stone out of all of them is the durn chrysoberyl, but my cellphone just kills the green so much that it looks like a brown blah stone. Alas.

And unfortunately, I don't own a "real" camera which could take macro pictures....

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Ok, 3 "macro" pictures of the spinel. These were done by holding my loupe over the lens of my cellphone camera. Surprisingly, the results aren't half bad!

IMG00053-20100824-1841.jpg

IMG00054-20100824-1841.jpg

IMG00056-20100824-1842.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Thanks!

You're right, the color is very nice but too bad its not cut very well.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dzop,
Enjoy your new stones. I love the title of this thread by the way, "3 New Tan Cheapos" LOL!!

Your new blue spinel is interesting. Your sphene looks to have some nice dispersion there.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dzop said:
Ok, 3 "macro" pictures of the spinel. These were done by holding my loupe over the lens of my cellphone camera. Surprisingly, the results aren't half bad!

Those turned out pretty good for a cell phone Macro setting. I love the blue .... pretty darn nice for a "cheapo" LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The loupe pictures are great! And for $20, the blue spinel sure beats an aquamarine of the same price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results