shape
carat
color
clarity

3.44 Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:10:21 PM
Author: Lorelei
Abbey, I would contact WF and see if Brian can have a chat with you about this diamond, he will be honest as to it''s suitability for you and possibly suggest others if not.

Thanks again Lorelei.
I owe my salesperson too and I''ll ask to speak to Brian as well. First, though I logged on to pricescope to get myself educated a little so that I know what to ask etc.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 4:17:24 PM
Author: Abbey

Date: 8/14/2008 4:10:21 PM
Author: Lorelei
Abbey, I would contact WF and see if Brian can have a chat with you about this diamond, he will be honest as to it''s suitability for you and possibly suggest others if not.

Thanks again Lorelei.
I owe my salesperson too and I''ll ask to speak to Brian as well. First, though I logged on to pricescope to get myself educated a little so that I know what to ask etc.
I think that is your best bet Abbey, Brian''s eyes and expertise are much sought after, and he will give you an honest opinion as to whether this diamond could be the one. If not, then he may be able to suggest another.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:15:11 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 8/14/2008 4:09:01 PM

placed on ring..

onring.jpg

Showing same thing as this pic:

3.44%20lisawhite.jpg

So just taking a wild guess at what this diamond would like in real life....
What would all the "black" areas do? Wouldn''t they provide "contrast" and make it more sparkly?

abbey

Rough_Rock
One more thing....
Would the fact that you can actually see the inclusion bother anyone?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Looks gorgeous!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 4:25:10 PM
One more thing....
Would the fact that you can actually see the inclusion bother anyone?
No, it wouldn''t worry me being a small feather.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:23:27 PM

What would all the ''black'' areas do? Wouldn''t they provide ''contrast'' and make it more sparkly?
Reduce the "lively" look of the diamond with small to med. movement.
With large movements they would likely fire off and return light.
My next article will cover this aspect of step cuts but it is a week or so away from being published as my editors are busy.
It would take a video to explain it and I don''t have the means of posting one for you at this time.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:29:07 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 8/14/2008 4:23:27 PM

What would all the 'black' areas do? Wouldn't they provide 'contrast' and make it more sparkly?

Reduce the 'lively' look of the diamond with small to med. movement.

With large movements they would likely fire off and return light.

My next article will cover this aspect of step cuts but it is a week or so away from being published as my editors are busy.

It would take a video to explain it and I don't have the means of posting one for you at this time.

Thanks again. Does it make sense to request any other type of report? Does WF do video's or those briallantscope things?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
vids are nice but WF does not offer them.
b-scope is useless on emerald cuts.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 2:49:16 PM
Author:Abbey
Well, after YEARS of 'lurking', voyeuristically enjoying everyone's beautiful diamonds, and being indecisive about my upgrade I finally have decided to get serious and have some stones called in. I am trying to maximize size this time (my original ering is a D round cut) and am hoping to find a nice G/H VS2 emerald cut that doesn't show too much color and is clean enough that I can't see anything with my unaided eyes.

Well, so far out of the two VS2 stones called in, the first one had an inclusion that was easy to see and the second one that I'm now posting about has a small feather that 'if you look hard enough' you can see without any magnification. It seems to be a pretty stone, has great spread, and the 'squatty' ratio that I prefer but at about 48K I think that it's a little overpriced for an HVS2 that may be on the border of an SI1...

So I need opinions on if this stone is worth it. I'm going to try and attach all the photos-hope it will work.

Thank you!

First the Gia Cert.... (I have no idea how to post multiple pics in one post-sorry)

Technical analysis is good fun but it only gets you so far with stones like this, as does analysis of photographs. You really have to see it. I mention this because, as far as I can tell, only one guy in this chain, Brian Gavin, has actually seen it and it’s already met with his approval. Few will dispute his authority but if you want to escalate it to the next level, the only reasonable option is to show it, in person, to your own chosen expert for a second opinion.

The original question here was about the price but it's spiraled into all manner of other issues. I generally make a point of not getting into price discussions with stones that I’ve never seen or without being paid but that question seems to have become lost. Answering becomes one of comparison to what else is available in the market. As has been pointed out above, there aren’t a lot of stones available in this category (3.1 – 3.5 G/VS2/GIA/Emerald). Currently there are only 3 stones in the database in that range and all 3 are more expensive. Is this the ‘best’ of the 4? Is it the worst? I don’t know, I don’t have anything like enough information but it does one thing going for it beyond the fact that it’s the cheapest. Brian likes it. That’s actually saying quite a lot.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 7:39:37 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Date: 8/14/2008 2:49:16 PM

Author:Abbey

Well, after YEARS of ''lurking'', voyeuristically enjoying everyone''s beautiful diamonds, and being indecisive about my upgrade I finally have decided to get serious and have some stones called in. I am trying to maximize size this time (my original ering is a D round cut) and am hoping to find a nice G/H VS2 emerald cut that doesn''t show too much color and is clean enough that I can''t see anything with my unaided eyes.

Well, so far out of the two VS2 stones called in, the first one had an inclusion that was easy to see and the second one that I''m now posting about has a small feather that ''if you look hard enough'' you can see without any magnification. It seems to be a pretty stone, has great spread, and the ''squatty'' ratio that I prefer but at about 48K I think that it''s a little overpriced for an HVS2 that may be on the border of an SI1...

So I need opinions on if this stone is worth it. I''m going to try and attach all the photos-hope it will work.

Thank you!

First the Gia Cert.... (I have no idea how to post multiple pics in one post-sorry)

Technical analysis is good fun but it only gets you so far with stones like this, as does analysis of photographs. You really have to see it. I mention this because, as far as I can tell, only one guy in this chain, Brian Gavin, has actually seen it and it’s already met with his approval. Few will dispute his authority but if you want to escalate it to the next level, the only reasonable option is to show it, in person, to your own chosen expert for a second opinion.

The original question here was about the price but it''s spiraled into all manner of other issues. I generally make a point of not getting into price discussions with stones that I’ve never seen or without being paid but that question seems to have become lost. Answering becomes one of comparison to what else is available in the market. As has been pointed out above, there aren’t a lot of stones available in this category (3.1 – 3.5 G/VS2/GIA/Emerald). Currently there are only 3 stones in the database in that range and all 3 are more expensive. Is this the ‘best’ of the 4? Is it the worst? I don’t know, I don’t have anything like enough information but it does one thing going for it beyond the fact that it’s the cheapest. Brian likes it. That’s actually saying quite a lot.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Two points that I should make at this point though are:
1. I actually don''t know if Brian has given his official stamp of approval on this stone. I''ve asked my salesperson and I believe she said Lindsay reviewed it. I''ve asked for a phone appointment with Brian to talk about it and I think that I should be discussing it with him tomorrow.
2. Thanks for getting back to my original question about price. I think that you''ve mistaken it for a "G"VS2.... It is actually an HVS2. When I searched 3.1-3.5 HVS2 in the pricescope database I got 6 others that are available and this one is the MOST expensive (sometimes by over 10K).... Even my salesperson admitted that it seemed a little over priced....
Anyway, thank you again for everyone''s responses. They have been very helpful. I let you know how my conversation goes with Brian.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very pretty and I like the shape a lot. I am certainly not an expert, but I think you should love the look, regardless of numbers. So do you love it? Numbers are important, but I think in fancies the eyes should be the final decider.

If there are other stones in the database for less money, I would get WF to bring those in also so you can compare them.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 8:39:18 PM
Author: thing2of2
I think it''s very pretty and I like the shape a lot. I am certainly not an expert, but I think you should love the look, regardless of numbers. So do you love it? Numbers are important, but I think in fancies the eyes should be the final decider.

If there are other stones in the database for less money, I would get WF to bring those in also so you can compare them.

I do love the ratio and that is why we called it in. There are a couple of others under consideration. One is smaller, but is a GVS1 and the other is also a GVS1, but a little over my budget at 53K. Finding the right ratio is proving to pretty tricky and that''s why I was considering this little guy.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond looks gorgeous to me!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just what you need - another opinion.

This is a nice stone. It will have big banging flashes, but storm is also correct that the center will be on the weaker side.
However the whole stone as an entire package is up there since even the corner facets are working very well in the IS and ASET.
If you like everything else about the stone, then buy it.
If what you have learned here means you would notice the negatives pointed out, then pass.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:30:31 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

This is a nice stone. It will have big banging flashes, but storm is also correct that the center will be on the weaker side.

However the whole stone as an entire package is up there since even the corner facets are working very well in the IS and ASET.

If what you have learned here means you would notice the negatives pointed out, then pass.

I absolutely WANTED another opinion-thank you! Would I have posted on pricescope had I not?
3.gif

If you were in the market, would you buy this stone? All things (color etc) considered?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 9:49:46 PM

I absolutely WANTED another opinion-thank you! Would I have posted on pricescope had I not?
3.gif

If you were in the market, would you buy this stone? All things (color etc) considered?
I had hoped you would not ask that question.

Firstly in my case buying from a distant -usually overseas vendor - I would want the dealer to eyeball the stone and answer question - most will do this honestly or there is no future biz, and I would make it sale or return.
I would then look at all the info and decide how critical each factor is.
If it is a client order - is it the right colour / clarity etc.
If it was stock, then I would be looking for eye clean SI1 (under prong etc) or VS2, D or E and medium blue fluoro. If it had all that then I would buy it in a blink because my sales people can sell diamonds like that - but other businesses would want non fluoro and VVS etc.

So you know your criteria, and you know these sizes are not growing on trees. YOU must make the decision Abbey.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 10:55:09 PM
Date: 8/14/2008 9:49:46 PM

3.gif

I had hoped you would not ask that question.

Firstly in my case buying from a distant -usually overseas vendor - I would want the dealer to eyeball the stone and answer question - most will do this honestly or there is no future biz, and I would make it sale or return.

I would then look at all the info and decide how critical each factor is.

If it is a client order - is it the right colour / clarity etc.

If it was stock, then I would be looking for eye clean SI1 (under prong etc) or VS2, D or E and medium blue fluoro. If it had all that then I would buy it in a blink because my sales people can sell diamonds like that - but other businesses would want non fluoro and VVS etc.

So you know your criteria, and you know these sizes are not growing on trees. YOU must make the decision Abbey.
Thanks again for your response. So regarding color, it would be way low for you to even consider it... This was my only hesitation going into it with this diamond. I originally was looking up to a "g", then somehow expanded it to "h" and saw this one that met almost all my parameters. Any opinion on if it will much show color once set?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 11:39:50 PM

Thanks again for your response. So regarding color, it would be way low for you to even consider it... This was my only hesitation going into it with this diamond. I originally was looking up to a ''g'', then somehow expanded it to ''h'' and saw this one that met almost all my parameters. Any opinion on if it will much show color once set?
Again Abbey, this is about you, not me.

I have a standard, my color standard is higher than Tiffany and Cartier''s. Are they wrong? Yes in my opinion. But what does my opinion count for?
They have a higher clarity standard than me.

If you have looked at different coloured diamonds in lots of lighting, then you can make your decision. after all, I could say - only buy D IF, and that is not reasonable either.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:30:01 AM

Thanks again for your response. So regarding color, it would be way low for you to even consider it... This was my only hesitation going into it with this diamond. I originally was looking up to a ''g'', then somehow expanded it to ''h'' and saw this one that met almost all my parameters. Any opinion on if it will much show color once set?

I have a standard, my color standard is higher than Tiffany and Cartier''s. Are they wrong? Yes in my opinion. But what does my opinion count for?

If you have looked at different coloured diamonds in lots of lighting, then you can make your decision. after all, I could say - only buy D IF, and that is not reasonable either.

I do appreciate your opinion and I really do know that it''s MY decision. The thing is that for a consumer purchasing over the internet it is REALLY hard to decide on color unless you default to D-F. I have seen rounds of that size in the color range H-J (and I was fine with the "color"), but no Emerald cuts and it really is fairly difficult to find 3 ct. emeralds just to "look" at even living near a major metro. area. So, I find myself trusting my vendor and the experts on pricescope.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I am still waiting to speak to Brian about the Stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2008 1:17:59 PM

Date: 8/15/2008 12:30:01 AM

I do appreciate your opinion and I really do know that it''s MY decision. The thing is that for a consumer purchasing over the internet it is REALLY hard to decide on color unless you default to D-F. I have seen rounds of that size in the color range H-J (and I was fine with the ''color''), but no Emerald cuts and it really is fairly difficult to find 3 ct. emeralds just to ''look'' at even living near a major metro. area. So, I find myself trusting my vendor and the experts on pricescope.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I am still waiting to speak to Brian about the Stone.
You can trust Brian''s opinion Abbey, he won''t steer you wrong. Let us know how you get on.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's at least worth a look. With a purchase of this magnitude, and a decision based partly on personal preference, I say have it sent to an independant appraiser near you. Take a look at it, it's the only way you will truly know.
2.gif
(assuming Brian ok's it)

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 1:37:42 PM
Author: Ellen
I think it''s at least worth a look. With a purchase of this magnitude, and a decision based partly on personal preference, I say have it sent to an independant appraiser near you. Take a look at it, it''s the only way you will truly know.
2.gif
(assuming Brian ok''s it)

Thanks Ellen. I think this is what I''m leaning towards as well. I think I''m going to have to bite the $$ bullet and pay the shipping & appraisal fee to take a look with my own eyes. Just want to feel like its a real contender before I do it.
1.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous to me and I cant see the feather in the photos anywhere!

abbey

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update.
I spoke to Brian a little while ago. It was really nice to talk to him. He really stands behind this stone. He says it is very sparkly, VERY eye clean and shows less color than a "normal" H as it is not a deep stone. He really likes it and was very convincing. I am working on getting an appointment with Nancy Stacey (local appraiser) to evaluate it with me.
Thanks again for all your help! I''ll let you know how it looks in person.
21.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please let us know your outcome.
You can find that the same piece of rough in a round will grade lower by a lab (thru the side) than a step cut.
However face up there will be less color in the round, and more in the emerald cut (usually).

So you should expect to be able to see the yellowishness a little. Then it is up to you to decide about the price benefit equation. The market prices H to G as a 20% jump, so there is a big cost

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 9:39:12 PM
Please let us know your outcome.

You can find that the same piece of rough in a round will grade lower by a lab (thru the side) than a step cut.

However face up there will be less color in the round, and more in the emerald cut (usually).

So you should expect to be able to see the yellowishness a little. Then it is up to you to decide about the price benefit equation. The market prices H to G as a 20% jump, so there is a big cost

So do you think that there is a huge (20%) jump in yellowishness from a G to an H. The reason I decided to try the H is that I've been told it would be hard to tell the difference between the two. How reliable are photos, when I've seen "colorless" diamonds look yellowish in photos and lower colors show no color in photos.... on that vein, I have a few more that Brian sent me of this diamond. One on the hand that makes the stone look warm. Just out of curiosity...do you think that this is a good representation of what I'll see in real life?

LisaHandshot.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock
Finally just a few at different angles...

344em.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 1:42:44 AM
Date: 8/16/2008 1:34:13 AM

Just out of curiosity...do you think that this is a good representation of what I'll see in real life?

The only way would be to see a D step cut in the same photos

Ahhh, that totally makes sense. Since I'm not considering a "D", but am considering a G....What do you think about the jump for G to H in a step cut? Is it a bigger "step" visually than from G to H in a round cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results