shape
carat
color
clarity

3.44 Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Well, after YEARS of "lurking", voyeuristically enjoying everyone''s beautiful diamonds, and being indecisive about my upgrade I finally have decided to get serious and have some stones called in. I am trying to maximize size this time (my original ering is a D round cut) and am hoping to find a nice G/H VS2 emerald cut that doesn''t show too much color and is clean enough that I can''t see anything with my unaided eyes.

Well, so far out of the two VS2 stones called in, the first one had an inclusion that was easy to see and the second one that I''m now posting about has a small feather that "if you look hard enough" you can see without any magnification. It seems to be a pretty stone, has great spread, and the "squatty" ratio that I prefer but at about 48K I think that it''s a little overpriced for an HVS2 that may be on the border of an SI1...
So I need opinions on if this stone is worth it. I''m going to try and attach all the photos-hope it will work.

Thank you!

First the Gia Cert.... (I have no idea how to post multiple pics in one post-sorry)

Attachments

• 3.44 lisa3gia.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 68

abbey

Rough_Rock
I think this is the asset?

3.44 lisaast.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock

3.44 lisa.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock
On white background...

3.44 lisawhite.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock
more numbers...

Attachments

• 3.44 lisa.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 20

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pricing you can get an idea for similar using the search tool above, if it is from the vendor I think it is, then the price should be competitive.

It looks like a gorgeous diamond, just the sort of EC I like!!

abbey

Rough_Rock
Well, I can''t seem to get my GIA Cert of the sarin to post. I''ll see if admin can post for me, :)

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 2:54:52 PM
Author: Lorelei
The pricing you can get an idea for similar using the search tool above, if it is from the vendor I think it is, then the price should be competitive.

Thanks for the response! I was trying to keep the vendor out of it for now....but they (in particular my salesperson) have been fantastic. Very patient etc. I guess, pricing wise they don''t always "set" the price...as really it''s the owner of the stone that has that say. I did a search to see where it fit in, and found it priced per carat similar to many HVS1''s and a some G VS2''s. It''s just more complicated with fancies as those "other" diamonds didn''t always have the ratio I desired etc.
Thanks again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 3:04:29 PM
Author: Abbey

Thanks for the response! I was trying to keep the vendor out of it for now....but they (in particular my salesperson) have been fantastic. Very patient etc. I guess, pricing wise they don''t always ''set'' the price...as really it''s the owner of the stone that has that say. I did a search to see where it fit in, and found it priced per carat similar to many HVS1''s and a some G VS2''s. It''s just more complicated with fancies as those ''other'' diamonds didn''t always have the ratio I desired etc.
Thanks again.
You are most welcome! What is the vendor verdict on the diamond, do they recommend it?
30.gif

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 3:05:40 PM
Date: 8/14/2008 3:04:29 PM

Thanks for the response! I was trying to keep the vendor out of it for now....but they (in particular my salesperson) have been fantastic. Very patient etc. I guess, pricing wise they don''t always ''set'' the price...as really it''s the owner of the stone that has that say. I did a search to see where it fit in, and found it priced per carat similar to many HVS1''s and a some G VS2''s. It''s just more complicated with fancies as those ''other'' diamonds didn''t always have the ratio I desired etc.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome! What is the vendor verdict on the diamond, do they recommend it?
30.gif

Yes, I believe that the vendor says it''s a nice stone and that the inclusion is hard to see. I of course, being the OC pricescope customer wanted more opinions about whether it was a nice stone. :)

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
here is the first one

344abbey.jpg

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
here is the gia report

344abbey3gia.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Andrey!

Thats good that it gets the seal of approval from the vendor! Diamonds of that size are hard to source anyway, and nicely cut EC's are no exception. I like the look of this diamond, what do you think of it?

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 3:37:21 PM
Thanks Andrey!

Thats good that it gets the seal of approval from the vendor! Diamonds of that size are hard to source anyway, and that one looks like a lovely EC to me, what do you think of it?

Thanks again.
I "think" I really like it- but I don''t know how to really tell.
I''m also starting question if the "perfect" fancy actually exists... It seems like something or other could always be "better".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 3:44:44 PM

Date: 8/14/2008 3:37:21 PM
Thanks Andrey!

Thats good that it gets the seal of approval from the vendor! Diamonds of that size are hard to source anyway, and that one looks like a lovely EC to me, what do you think of it?

Thanks again.
I 'think' I really like it- but I don't know how to really tell.
I'm also starting question if the 'perfect' fancy actually exists... It seems like something or other could always be 'better'.
Absolutely, that is why you need to trust your eyes and get vendor input from an expert who can actually see the diamond. Fancy cuts are tricky anyway and in the size range you are considering there will be limited options unfortunately and it is very easy to get over reliant on images and proportions. Go with what your eyes find beautiful, I would ask if Brian can evaluate this diamond and discuss it with you.

abbey

Rough_Rock
oops, just realized that you gave me a link.....going to read it now.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 3:45:13 PM

Storm, I know you bring this up a lot concerning the p3 angles, but overall it looks like a nice diamond. Diamonds of that size are hard to find anyway, let alone emerald cuts.

I mention it a lot because it is one of the most vital areas of a step cut and a lot of cutters do not cut them right.
That is why I covered it first in my step cut series in a peer reviewed article.
Every aspect of a step cut diamond is impacted by p3 angles.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 3:54:32 PM
Author: strmrdr

Storm, I know you bring this up a lot concerning the p3 angles, but overall it looks like a nice diamond. Diamonds of that size are hard to find anyway, let alone emerald cuts.

I mention it a lot because it is one of the most vital areas of a step cut and a lot of cutters do not cut them right.
That is why I covered it first in my step cut series.
I know what you are saying, but it looks to me as if it could be a nice diamond overall and it is in a hard to find size also, it may be one of the better ones out there especially considering all the factors, price, colour, clarity, preferred shape of the EC etc etc. Abbey seems concerned it may be a bad diamond...

abbey

Rough_Rock

That is why I covered it first in my step cut series in a peer reviewed article.

Thanks again Storm.
I just read (most of) the link that you referenced. So, correct me if I''m wrong, but the basics of bad p3 angles means that this diamond will suffer from a "dark" center and light leakage overall?? Is that what you see in the asset, etc?
Would you pass on this stone personally???

abbey

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:01:13 PM

Thanks again Storm.

I just read (most of) the link that you referenced. So, correct me if I''m wrong, but the basics of bad p3 angles means that this diamond will suffer from a ''dark'' center and light leakage overall?? Is that what you see in the asset, etc?

Just curious if I''m reading the images right.... Is the black bar down the center and throughout the diamond "light leakage".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:01:13 PM

Thanks again Storm.

I just read (most of) the link that you referenced. So, correct me if I''m wrong, but the basics of bad p3 angles means that this diamond will suffer from a ''dark'' center and light leakage overall?? Is that what you see in the asset, etc?

Obstruction is this case but yes to the dark center.
Watch the vids and see how much more life diamond 3 displays.

Personally I would keep looking.. since you asked and have read the article I will say so.
I would rather you have the information and decide than me just saying I would pass.

abbey

Rough_Rock
just thought I''d post a couple more photos of the diamond..
On black background:

blackback.jpg

abbey

Rough_Rock
placed on ring..

onring.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:02:59 PM

Just curious if I''m reading the images right.... Is the black bar down the center and throughout the diamond ''light leakage''.
obstruction.
ie: a reflection of what is in front of the diamond rather than returning light.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Abbey, I would contact WF and see if Brian can have a chat with you about this diamond, he will be honest as to it's suitability for you and possibly suggest others if not.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:08:27 PM
just thought I'd post a couple more photos of the diamond..

On black background:

high angle lighting lighting up the back of the diamond, not an accurate representation as this lighting would be blocked in a setting.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:09:01 PM
placed on ring..

onring.jpg

Showing same thing as this pic:

3.44%20lisawhite.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results