shape
carat
color
clarity

3.03 carat unicorn?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I was done with diamonds for the year. I assumed the marquise ring would be it. So, I figured, what's the harm with playing with search engines and looking at videos of big honkers? :naughty: :dance: .

I was really having a jolly ol' time looking at INTERESTING diamonds like THIS below - chunky arrows anyone?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.02-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-good-cut-sku-366680

And then... i saw... an SI-2, that looked promising. SO CLEAN! the poo-poo is on the sides! Are you a horny diamond? :whistle: Are you a unicorn?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.03-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-993441

I clicked on the on-line chat - "diamond inspection" button. We went over the picture of the diamond, and the JA rep circled some stuff on the picture that could be potential issues, pulled up the GIA report, and said the diamond was out of the country, then he said it was in the US but not in NY. Damn this diamond travels more than I DO!

Ultimately, I decided that I need a more personal touch with my diamond purchases - I need someone I can repeatedly harass, I MEAN follow up with on a consistent basis. I need someone who will cradle the diamond in his/her hands and whisper to it, "preccccious..." So, I've gone back to IDJ and asked them to call the diamond in!!!! It's got a higher crown, hoping the images won't show leakage!

So far, I've run it through HCA - under 2, and indicated as an FIC. I think that means it will be FIREY! I understand that the diamond is supposed to be eye clean from all sides. I'm excited. At the same time, I'm scared... my poor skinny wallet... :errrr: And I'm so used to fluorescence - it's like my band-aid. What if this I looks like ol' yeller? :nono:

My friend started adding up the 2016 ctw of purchases and I told her to stop because it was making me sick... :-o

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1465932934|4043957 said:
I thought I was done with diamonds for the year. I assumed the marquise ring would be it. So, I figured, what's the harm with playing with search engines and looking at videos of big honkers? :naughty: :dance: .

I was really having a jolly ol' time looking at INTERESTING diamonds like THIS below - chunky arrows anyone?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.02-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-good-cut-sku-366680

And then... i saw... an SI-2, that looked promising. SO CLEAN! the poo-poo is on the sides! Are you a horny diamond? :whistle: Are you a unicorn?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.03-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-993441

I clicked on the on-line chat - "diamond inspection" button. We went over the picture of the diamond, and the JA rep circled some stuff on the picture that could be potential issues, pulled up the GIA report, and said the diamond was out of the country, then he said it was in the US but not in NY. Damn this diamond travels more than I DO!

Ultimately, I decided that I need a more personal touch with my diamond purchases - I need someone I can repeatedly harass, I MEAN follow up with on a consistent basis. I need someone who will cradle the diamond in his/her hands and whisper to it, "preccccious..." So, I've gone back to IDJ and asked them to call the diamond in!!!! It's got a higher crown, hoping the images won't show leakage!

So far, I've run it through HCA - under 2, and indicated as an FIC. I think that means it will be FIREY! I understand that the diamond is supposed to be eye clean from all sides. I'm excited. At the same time, I'm scared... my poor skinny wallet... :errrr: And I'm so used to fluorescence - it's like my band-aid. What if this I looks like ol' yeller? :nono:

My friend started adding up the 2016 ctw of purchases and I told her to stop because it was making me sick... :-o

Dang, that was a clean SI2!!! Do you remember what the price was? (it's not available now)

Oops!! I just realized you had THAT stone called in -- ignore the price question (how rude of me!)... :bigsmile: :halo:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not rude at all, msop04. :D :wavey: You can still see the price on the PS search engine. It's listed as $28,390 on JA. I'm glad your eyes confirmed that the diamond is clean from the video as well! :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So for my hypothetical unicorn diamond, I think I'm digging trellises, 6-8 prongs, tulip heads, and lotus heads. I like it when top down you can see the sides of the head - like a tiny buttercup. BUT... I worry that instead of looking like a little ruffle or buttercup around the diamond, at what point does it start slipping into the area of "this setting belonged to my diamond's big sister, and my diamond hopes to fill out enough to grow into the setting one day..."

http://www.budgetdiamondsonline.com/engagement-rings/lotus-design-solitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold
https://www.etsy.com/listing/198214052/lily-solitaire-engagement-ring-mount?ref=shop_home_active_32

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone must be a unicorn--I've rarely seen SI2's that clean, especially in larger sizes! I love it and hope it turns out to be amazing when IDJ gets it :)

Also, I hope I don't get in trouble for posting these pics with *cannot be named here* stones, but this is just to give you a "feel" for a 3ct stone in one of these settings. I think they look beautiful still, and especially like the lilly option. I think these settings still have a "delicate" look, even with a larger stone

il_570xN.738034734_ouox.jpg il_570xN.738034690_q91i.jpg il_570xN.559812007_29sc.jpg il_570xN.559812015_9gnl.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
So for my hypothetical unicorn diamond, I think I'm digging trellises, 6-8 prongs, tulip heads, and lotus heads. I like it when top down you can see the sides of the head - like a tiny buttercup. BUT... I worry that instead of looking like a little ruffle or buttercup around the diamond, at what point does it start slipping into the area of "this setting belonged to my diamond's big sister, and my diamond hopes to fill out enough to grow into the setting one day..."

http://www.budgetdiamondsonline.com/engagement-rings/lotus-design-solitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold
https://www.etsy.com/listing/198214052/lily-solitaire-engagement-ring-mount?ref=shop_home_active_32

Pinto, have you looked into CVB's settings? Caysie does very similar heads and can customize any of her designs exactly to your liking... The Elsa comes to mind. She can do either six or eight prongs on her designs as well!
b7729b828006153def3ded5ed866393a.jpg

She's currently working on a six prong soli for me with a king's basket and the cutest little petite tabs prongs! Ugh! I can't WAIT!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs :wavey: Thank you for posting the pics! It always helps to have a visual!!

Hi msop04! :wavey:
I like CVB designs, but not for me. I don't think I'm a vintage gal... I think I'm a classic to modern classic. The modern classic is more DH's influence. The only thing vintagey thing I like is milgrain LOLOLOLOL!

I also find myself being influenced by my new home, and new stomping grounds! I love floral designs. I love all my fake flowers inside my house - I know that sounds so funny :think: but my cats would eat real plants! and I :love: :love: :love: all the flowers I planted this spring in the front and back yards, and I love going to the local nurseries and online shopping for flowers as well! I walk around my community staring in awe at all the beautiful plantings on the grounds. This is probably why I am drawn to the petal design of my in-progress marquise ring, the tulip heads, the lotus heads (there's also a lotus in the profile of the marquise ring), and the trellis heads. As a non-practicing Buddhist, i guess the lotus brings me closer to practicing... and DH LOVES to eat lotus root :confused: :confused: :confused: - ok it's nutritious, but I'll only eat ONE piece if asked to... just one...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
Lovedogs :wavey: Thank you for posting the pics! It always helps to have a visual!!

Hi msop04! :wavey:
I like CVB designs, but not for me. I don't think I'm a vintage gal... I think I'm a classic to modern classic. The modern classic is more DH's influence. The only thing vintagey thing I like is milgrain LOLOLOLOL!

I also find myself being influenced by my new home, and new stomping grounds! I love floral designs. I love all my fake flowers inside my house - I know that sounds so funny :think: but my cats would eat real plants! and I :love: :love: :love: all the flowers I planted this spring in the front and back yards, and I love going to the local nurseries and online shopping for flowers as well! I walk around my community staring in awe at all the beautiful plantings on the grounds. This is probably why I am drawn to the petal design of my in-progress marquise ring, the tulip heads, the lotus heads (there's also a lotus in the profile of the marquise ring), and the trellis heads. As a non-practicing Buddhist, i guess the lotus brings me closer to practicing... and DH LOVES to eat lotus root :confused: :confused: :confused: - ok it's nutritious, but I'll only eat ONE piece if asked to... just one...

I gotcha, Pinto! We like what we like! [emoji4]

...buuuutttttt, that woman can do ANYTHING, I'm convinced! [emoji6]

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PB, the 3.03 is indeed a VERY clean SI2 and numbers are pretty darn good! I hope it is not rude of me to ask, but did the 4ct EC give you serious DSS with your round? I'm asking because I ended up upgrading my 2ct round due to DSS caused by another ring. :knockout:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear|1465986152|4044229 said:
PB, the 3.03 is indeed a VERY clean SI2 and numbers are pretty darn good! I hope it is not rude of me to ask, but did the 4ct EC give you serious DSS with your round? I'm asking because I ended up upgrading my 2ct round due to DSS caused by another ring. :knockout:
A size 9 finger gives me DSS - PERIOD! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, the EC didn't plant the DSS. It's such a different animal of diamond, and one that I favor on the large side. I don't think I would want a suite of ECs in different sizes.

As for rounds, I have 3 other rounds - 0.78 (needs to be resized), 1.51 (fits), and 2.59 (needs to be resized - pink-brown). I'm just a hoarder I've decided! :naughty: :wall: I love them all!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you trading in any of your rounds or keeping all of them? Nothing wrong with hoarding jewelry... :whistle:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pintobean,
this diamond looks just amazing in the video... incredible. I hope it'll look as good in person!!!!

Sorry to threadjack, but I just saw you mention your 2.59 ct pink brown RB. I'd love to see this. Is there a separate thread/any pics?
My quick search didn't turn up anything. Thanks in advance

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear|1465998635|4044278 said:
Are you trading in any of your rounds or keeping all of them? Nothing wrong with hoarding jewelry... :whistle:
No... hoarder. Report me to diamond control. Please make sure to bring Mrs. Boxes when you carry each bling baby out of my house :loopy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 0.78 fits perfectly in the setting that originally held mom's 0.58 that DH proposed to me with. Mom took back the 0.58 when we bought frozen piss. We went to IDJ and she had it set in a halo pendant, and felt bad for the empty setting and bought me the 0.78 on the spot to plunk in.

I talked to IDJ about the 1.51. It's a K VS1 with fluor, and they would not give me anything as high as I paid for it - I paid the premium of a BG Blue. BUT the 1.51 was the culmination of multiple trade-ins with BGD over time. BGD said I could sell back to them at a loss of 30% within the first year of purchase. To me, it's not worth it, and 1.51 is a good size and it's beautifully cut and faces up white, yada yada yada...

The 2.59 is a colored diamond, so that's special to me in its own way. I plan on halo'ing it in the future...

kipari said:
Hi Pintobean,
this diamond looks just amazing in the video... incredible. I hope it'll look as good in person!!!!

Sorry to threadjack, but I just saw you mention your 2.59 ct pink brown RB. I'd love to see this. Is there a separate thread/any pics?
My quick search didn't turn up anything. Thanks in advance
Hi kipari! :wavey:
Here's the thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/choco-berry-finn-2-59-cts-of-brownish-pink-fun.191058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/choco-berry-finn-2-59-cts-of-brownish-pink-fun.191058/[/URL]

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got images from IDJ!!! Please let me know what you think!

gia___6215817202-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia___6215817202-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia___6215817202-aset_white-01.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Images cont'd

gia___6215817202-hearts-01.jpg

gia___6215817202-idealscope-01.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice! What did Yekutiel think? It's got a little bit of leakage but well within acceptable range.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG -- I'm soooo envious!! BEAUTIFUL! :love: :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1466034725|4044548 said:
OMG -- I'm soooo envious!! BEAUTIFUL! :love: :love:
Thank you msop04 :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Gypsy said:
Very nice! What did Yekutiel think? It's got a little bit of leakage but well within acceptable range.
I heard they were VERY busy today, so I haven't had a chance to talk to him about the diamond yet. He promised me that he would deliver the images before he left for the day, and they hit my inbox after 7PM! Honestly, if there were alarm bells, he would have said something ASAP. :wacko:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
That's cool.

I don't know if this is your style as it's not too antique, but I think it's very fluid

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122118/9143391/?groupId=119127#/mounting-options
Yes Niel - you're in the right direction! I've looked at that setting myself a few times. I really love the profile. My hesitation is the split shank - that may leave me to contend with an awkward gap if I stack on another band.

I also love the top down view of this Danhov, but don't love the profile.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/designer-engagement-rings/14k-rose-gold-danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-style---cl140-item-58057

Now how do we get the Danhov and the stuller together so that they can make me a setting baby?!?!?! :whistle: :think: :naughty: :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nvmd....I thought I found one, but I did not lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy! :wavey:

I don't like the maevonas because of the bluntness of the prongs. I'm starting to think that I am TRULY a cat obsessed cat mama. I need kitty cat claw prongs, and I am also influenced by that shape because I stare at 3 pairs of cat ears all day. I also realized that I like curvey shapes because they remind me of my cats' tails. Kitty #1 is the odd ball - she has a tendency to hold her tail rather strangely straight and erect - 30 degrees up or down from her rump. No, I did not hold a protractor to her arse...(I don't have one :naughty: ). I call this "look" her "poe-kah TAYYYY-yel" (poker tail).

So the tails... I like some curvy tail crossing action - so I definitely like some trellis action. When my cats are lying next to each other, and their tails are crossing, it's :love: . That's what I like about the Valmanin solitaire. What overwhelms me is towards the donut where the space narrows and there looks to be a LOT of crossover action.

I'm trying to figure out how some of these tulips show that baby halo/buttercup look, while others don't. The ones that do show seem to stay fatter towards the table of the diamond where the taper to a prong is quick and short, while tulip heads that don't show top down taper long before the prong curves over the "girdle"? onto the table.

Now how do you take the fat leaf shape profile of the danhov and integrate a little bit of trellis action, or crossing tail action? IDK...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL at Cat Obsessed. I feel qualified to diagnose that as your condition, yes.

I don't know how to combine all that. I suggest you start with one part of one ring you love and go from there.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pinto Bean :)

Here's my 3.61ct in a DK solitaire. It's very similar to Valmanin's ring, but, without the diamonds in the basket, it has less metal and is less detailed and more modern looking in its 'under-carriage'. I also had a diamond set into the donut and a small diamond placed in the back of the band with a starburst engraving around it. Am also including one of the prongs; they're ever so slightly bigger than I would have liked but, ideally, I'd love it if rings could be made with no prongs whatsoever, and this is the smallest DK said the prongs could be while still keeping my stone secure.

Just throwing it out there in case there's any elements you like.

By the way - my stone is an I also. No yellow there!

img_11937.jpg

img_11938.jpg

img_11939.jpg

img_11940.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to ask the question, is the inclusion visible at the 12 o'clock position likely to cause structural issues? :???:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1466082859|4044730 said:
Just to ask the question, is the inclusion visible at the 12 o'clock position likely to cause structural issues? :???:
That's the one I was wondering about myself. Is it prongable, or is it going to shatter?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results