color
clarity

3.03 carat unicorn?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1466086149|4044746 said:
OoohShiny|1466082859|4044730 said:
Just to ask the question, is the inclusion visible at the 12 o'clock position likely to cause structural issues? :???:
That's the one I was wondering about myself. Is it prongable, or is it going to shatter?

I would imagine that if it's pronged (and with 6 prongs, at that), there would be very little room in between those prongs to have something hit the girdle with enough force to cause damage, no? It seems like it would be very unlikely, IMO...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooh Pinto!!!! Unicorn indeed :love:

I LOVE those proportions!!!! My absolute favourite type of MRB - chunky mains, high crown, perfectly baby-bear table ::) Your stone and my new stone (not so new anymore I guess!) are proportions-sisters :bigsmile:

The clarity plots are weird - fold the GIA in half, down the middle of the two circles, and that's the plot - so 3 o'clock on the left matches up to 9 o'clock on the right. Honest, slightly-visible feathers at the girdles where they'll *least* impact light return... as long as there are no durability issues this one's the pot at the end of the SI2 rainbow!

I'd do 8 prongs personally. The most visible seems to be the feather at 12 o'clock on IDJ's images (9 o'clock on the left GIA plot, 3 o'clock in JA's video)... and it's actually perfectly placed for pronging, right under the bezel facet! Pronging a "prongable" inclusion near the girdle under an upper girdle facet on a 2.7 high-crowned RB - total PITA for all setters. These inclusions on the other hand line up... oh so nicely... :sun:

I have another reason for picking 8 prongs... I currently have my stone in a 6-prong temp and I'm realising that I'm terrified of knocking it, so terrified that I hesitate to wear it :(sad I adore my 9-prong studs because no matter what angle you hit, you're always going to hit prong first, not diamond girdle. Meaning - if you draw straight lines from the outermost tip of one prong to the outermost tip of the next prong that straight line extends further than the diamond girdle, so even if you hit the "flat" between two prongs the stone still isn't actually going to touch any hard surface. Kinda like a pseudo-bezel. Of course you could still whack them on a sharp corner of something but, y'know, hedging bets, same theory as msop :halo: :bigsmile:

I hear you on the claw prongs. And trellises. And curviness. And pinched shanks. And gracefully accepting the title of Cat Lady.
:appl: :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot the pic!

pinto.png

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1466091671|4044771 said:
I hear you on the claw prongs. And trellises. And curviness. And pinched shanks. And gracefully accepting the title of Cat Lady.
:appl: :bigsmile:

I snorted so loudly in my office someone came to check on me. :lol: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1466082606|4044728 said:
Hi Pinto Bean :)

Here's my 3.61ct in a DK solitaire. It's very similar to Valmanin's ring, but, without the diamonds in the basket, it has less metal and is less detailed and more modern looking in its 'under-carriage'. I also had a diamond set into the donut and a small diamond placed in the back of the band with a starburst engraving around it. Am also including one of the prongs; they're ever so slightly bigger than I would have liked but, ideally, I'd love it if rings could be made with no prongs whatsoever, and this is the smallest DK said the prongs could be while still keeping my stone secure.

Just throwing it out there in case there's any elements you like.

By the way - my stone is an I also. No yellow there!
HOW did I miss this post? I adore your profile! Now I need to find out if trellis can be done nicely when you make the "petals" fat enough to be seen top down. Or will top down baby buttercup + trellis profile = too much metal? Such a pretty diamond doesn't need to be straightened out with braces HAHAHAHHAA :lol: :lol: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie - what an awesome post! I never knew that the plot should be read not as plot 1, and plot 2 with more inclusions, but as an overlapping, cohesive document! Phew! this diamond has 1/2 as many inclusions than I originally anticipated ;-).

I am also going to subscribe to the msop prong theory, and your visual helps. 8 prong it is!!!!

I spoke to Yekutiel briefly and he says it's beautiful. He wants me to see it. I have a wedding this Saturday night, so Sunday could be rough for me, especially since I'm a late riser without a late Saturday night. So potentially this Sunday I go see the diamond, but definitely if I miss this Sunday, I will go the 26th of June.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did he say anything re. durability concerns?

And are you having IDJ do the setting? 'Cause tbh with those girdle feathers I'd recommend at least considering buying and setting from the same vendor - it is a higher-risk stone. Medium girdle, high crown, and it's a larger stone, so certainly not risky enough to avoid by any means!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1466098298|4044790 said:
mrs-blop|1466082606|4044728 said:
Hi Pinto Bean :)

Here's my 3.61ct in a DK solitaire. It's very similar to Valmanin's ring, but, without the diamonds in the basket, it has less metal and is less detailed and more modern looking in its 'under-carriage'. I also had a diamond set into the donut and a small diamond placed in the back of the band with a starburst engraving around it. Am also including one of the prongs; they're ever so slightly bigger than I would have liked but, ideally, I'd love it if rings could be made with no prongs whatsoever, and this is the smallest DK said the prongs could be while still keeping my stone secure.

Just throwing it out there in case there's any elements you like.

By the way - my stone is an I also. No yellow there!
HOW did I miss this post? I adore your profile! Now I need to find out if trellis can be done nicely when you make the "petals" fat enough to be seen top down. Or will top down baby buttercup + trellis profile = too much metal? Such a pretty diamond doesn't need to be straightened out with braces HAHAHAHHAA :lol: :lol: :lol:

YES! This is exactly the setting I picture for this stone! I just love everything about it--it's similar to the JuliaB I posted above, but DK always works wonders in terms of being "fluid metal", etc. I think this would be amazing!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1466100189|4044799 said:
Did he say anything re. durability concerns?

And are you having IDJ do the setting? 'Cause tbh with those girdle feathers I'd recommend at least considering buying and setting from the same vendor - it is a higher-risk stone. Medium girdle, high crown, and it's a larger stone, so certainly not risky enough to avoid by any means!
Yes - that's the plan - have them do the setting as well. I asked about durability concerns, and he said from what he sees, no more than the usual risk of setting. :errrr:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to have second thoughts about the buttercuppy head. I may think it nods to antique buttercup settings, but man, it may look to a layman like it's that "big sister's clothing" look that I fear (not that I would really give a crap about what other people think... )

Yekutiel suggested the Vatche 1513 - Felicity - for the trellis, but it's 6 prongs. I've asked him to hunt up some 8 prong heads for me. What's amazing is that I could potentially be limited because of the size of the stone (too small! :naughty: just kidding!)

I found this antique ring pinned on pinterest when I googled 8 prong solitaire

antique8prong.png

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Have you checked out Erika Winters' Margot? I think it's STUNNING and a perfect 8-prong for a stone this size...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fulvia said:
Have you checked out Erika Winters' Margot? I think it's STUNNING and a perfect 8-prong for a stone this size...
I am going to guess that Erika Winters will be out of budget. I'm looking to go under $1,000. I don't go crazy with setting prices until I "know" a stone. I have to live with it a while...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, here's an 8 prong version of CVB's Jovyn... next to the CAD of my modified Jovyn.

952bb95d45b74d46559b95c40c269661.jpg

d419177c53ecc91e13ff6e560059b17f.jpg

I love how the basket is very swoopy and "cuppy"...

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would the CvB Dahlia suit you at all? it's got that buttercup look, small claw prongs and could possibly have the basket tweaked to make it swoopy?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
foxinsox|1466113523|4044903 said:
Would the CvB Dahlia suit you at all? it's got that buttercup look, small claw prongs and could possibly have the basket tweaked to make it swoopy?
I like the Dahlia, but it starts at $1,895, and I'm not that wedded to that look YET. LOLOLOL! If I live with this stone for a year plus, and the stone truly needs a Dahlia, then to CVB I will go for a reset.

Actually, I was originally considering halo'ing choco-berry finn for the reset, but putting her in a Dahlia reset with a rose gold head would be DY-NA-MITE!!!!

msop04 said:
Pinto, here's an 8 prong version of CVB's Jovyn... next to the CAD of my modified Jovyn.
msop04 - beautiful! but over budget for now... You guys really have beautiful taste. I can use this thread one day as a reference for potential reset options !!!!!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
msop04 said:
msop04 - beautiful! but over budget for now... You guys really have beautiful taste. I can use this thread one day as a reference for potential reset options !!!!!!!

Pinto, you may be surprised by her quote... I know I was VERY pleased. I would never share an actual price, but I will say that it was just a little more than HALF what I was quoted for the Vatche U-113 from another PS vendor.

It may be worth asking... esp if you want gold, KWIM? [emoji56][emoji56]

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely adore your unicorn of a diamond!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: You must share lots of photos/videos when you finally see it! Will you be choosing a platinum setting?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1466148882|4045082 said:
I really like the danhov cl140! Thank you Gypsy!

So I found more pics of the Amavida on ebay and these pics are making it grow on me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gabriel-Co-Amavida-18kt-White-Gold-Contemporary-Carved-Engagement-Ring-/221508060521?hash=item3392e8c569:g:Ih0AAOSwRLZT1qs8

I spoke to Yekutiel and he indicated that a lot of heads are limited to 8mm. LOLOLOL! We could go custom... I also asked if I could put a blue sapphire under Pollo's bottom (culet), and he said yes.

ac117 suggested naming the unicorn "robin" because of all the feathers. I've known a robin in my life and not cared for her. Going along with the feathers theme, I've decided to call the diamond "pollo" HAHAHAHAHAAHHA!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
Gypsy|1466148882|4045082 said:
I really like the danhov cl140! Thank you Gypsy!

So I found more pics of the Amavida on ebay and these pics are making it grow on me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gabriel-Co-Amavida-18kt-White-Gold-Contemporary-Carved-Engagement-Ring-/221508060521?hash=item3392e8c569:g:Ih0AAOSwRLZT1qs8

I spoke to Yekutiel and he indicated that a lot of heads are limited to 8mm. LOLOLOL! We could go custom... I also asked if I could put a blue sapphire under Pollo's bottom (culet), and he said yes.

ac117 suggested naming the unicorn "robin" because of all the feathers. I've known a robin in my life and not cared for her. Going along with the feathers theme, I've decided to call the diamond "pollo" HAHAHAHAHAAHHA!

I really love the Amavida for Pollo! [emoji213][emoji183]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO at Pollo. I like the Amvida for a temp. You can see what you want later on and until then that's a nice setting.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to IDJ today and got to see my marquise and the pollo unicorn. I also posted some other miscellaneous bling pieces in the IDJ hangout thread.

_4259.jpg
Miami and Pollo unicorn - sisters!
_4260.jpg _4261.jpg _4262.jpg _4263.jpg _4264.jpg _4265.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLY... :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ERMAGHERD :love: :whistle: :love:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful. :clap:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see this set and on your hand! :love: :love: :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - so what did you think about the unicorn in person? Looks big and sparkly to me!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's firey! She's really a unicorn, I've never seen inclusions like this - inclusions that you don't see with the naked eye, save the feather towards the side. But even with that inclusion, it's not immediately obvious because it's a feather towards the side and white. And omce set, it will be like a VS lolol.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1466384736|4045811 said:
She's firey! She's really a unicorn, I've never seen inclusions like this - inclusions that you don't see with the naked eye, save the feather towards the side. But even with that inclusion, it's not immediately obvious because it's a feather towards the side and white. And omce set, it will be like a VS lolol.

That's wonderful - so glad that you liked the stone once you saw it in person. You just never know until the eyeballs are laid on it. Can't wait to see it set and on the hand - it looks enormous in the pictures!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results