shape
carat
color
clarity

3.01 Carat- 2.8 HCA Score. Help Please!!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t wait to see what you pick!

anik7648

Rough_Rock
@leighton1984 -

Also, inquire about this diamond. It's much whiter, much cleaner (a classic example of all SI1 stones not being equal), and, altho I suspect it might have a high crown and be cut a little deep, it's so white and clean, with big, fat, clean arrows, it's definitely worth a look. Again, it comes with a free setting.

Oh I love this G / SI1

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 -

I had a good look around and found this. I know it's an I and an SI1, but I'd bet money on this being eye clean. And it's an AGS 0, and its specs are perfect.

It's bigger than your previous diamond, and if you buy it through james Allen, you'll save $1350 over buying it through WhiteFlash's virtual inventory, using wire payment.

Also, buying through JA, you'd get a free ring setting, and their prong work is considerably better than Blue Nile's.

Also, inquire about this diamond. It's much whiter, much cleaner (a classic example of all SI1 stones not being equal), and, altho I suspect it might have a high crown and be cut a little deep, it's so white and clean, with big, fat, clean arrows, it's definitely worth a look. Again, it comes with a free setting.

@leighton1984 - it's killing me that you haven't come back and taken a look at these diamonds!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b Apparently JA won’t inspect the diamonds like BN... I tried to have them look at both and provide me feedback!

Should I be looking at super ideal only based on the previous threads? The JA customer support said these are not super ideal...

Also, how do you know the second one is white— that is what I’m most nervous about the warmth!
He did say they were eye clean— but odd he wouldn’t personally inspect— I thought it was difficult for SIs to be eye clean??

Thank you!!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b Apparently JA won’t inspect the diamonds like BN... I tried to have them look at both and provide me feedback!

Should I be looking at super ideal only based on the previous threads? The JA customer support said these are not super ideal...

Also, how do you know the second one is white— that is what I’m most nervous about the warmth!
He did say they were eye clean— but odd he wouldn’t personally inspect— I thought it was difficult for SIs to be eye clean??

Thank you!!

@mrs-b ignore the white- duh it’s a G! It’s a tiny bit outside the price range... I wonder if I should just buy them both and see?? Hard to pick between two, but also do see very little flaws in the second vs the first...

anik7648

Rough_Rock
JA doesn’t provide inspection services the way some other stores do.
A few things about G/ SI1 diamond
1. It is a great value for money. One of the reasons for that is because it has medium fluorescence.
2. Also seems like the diamond is already in the US because the ship date is 21st
3. I can almost 80% of the time manage to reverse beginner GIA number of JA diamonds even though JA doesn’t provide them. However this particular diamond doesn’t seem to be available elsewhere.
So if you are planning to get this diamond shipped to you, I would recommend that you get it inspected from a gemologist to make sure it doesn’t have any transparency / light return issues.

8A482356-596B-4518-8C67-DA5A283384C9.jpeg

Ps: if you know of a local jeweler, you can always give them this cert and see if they can find this diamond based on the specs and can call it on memo for you.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
JA doesn’t provide inspection services the way some other stores do.
A few things about G/ SI1 diamond
1. It is a great value for money. One of the reasons for that is because it has medium fluorescence.
2. Also seems like the diamond is already in the US because the ship date is 21st
3. I can almost 80% of the time manage to reverse beginner GIA number of JA diamonds even though JA doesn’t provide them. However this particular diamond doesn’t seem to be available elsewhere.
So if you are planning to get this diamond shipped to you, I would recommend that you get it inspected from a gemologist to make sure it doesn’t have any transparency / light return issues.

8A482356-596B-4518-8C67-DA5A283384C9.jpeg

Ps: if you know of a local jeweler, you can always give them this cert and see if they can find this diamond based on the specs and can call it on memo for you.

Thank you- what does #3 mean to reverse it?

I don’t have any jewelers I trust, which is the issue at large...

I did spend over an hour today trying to get more feedback from
JA— and they apparently don’t have any gemologist that work for JA, despite saying that they have certified gemologist on deck when you request a real time inspection— it’s just a sales associate who says the diamond looks great...

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Thank you- what does #3 mean to reverse it?

I don’t have any jewelers I trust, which is the issue at large...

I did spend over an hour today trying to get more feedback from
JA— and they apparently don’t have any gemologist that work for JA, despite saying that they have certified gemologist on deck when you request a real time inspection— it’s just a sales associate who says the diamond looks great...

By reverse engineering I meant figuring out the GIA no by seeing if a diamond with exact specs (size, color, clarity, table, depth, crown and pavilion angle) is on sale elsewhere. I didn’t find this particular diamond elsewhere.

Here is another thought for you. Find a qualified appraiser near you. Whiteflash’s website has a listing of few, but there are others. Buy it from JA and if you would like, take it to the appraiser for additional peace of mind. Make sure they don’t have their own diamond sales business, as that causes a massive conflict of interest.

Last edited:

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
By reverse engineering I meant figuring out the GIA no by seeing if a diamond with exact specs (size, color, clarity, table, depth, crown and pavilion angle) is on sale elsewhere. I didn’t find this particular diamond elsewhere.

Here is another thought for you. Find a qualified appraiser near you. Whiteflash’s website has a listing of few, but there are others. Buy it from JA and if you would like, take it to the appraiser for additional peace of mind. Make sure they don’t have their own diamond sales business, as that causes a massive conflict of interest.

Omg I just realized that the GIA report they sent doesn’t have the GIA number— isn’t that odd?? Now I get the reverse methodology— I thought it was provided! Weird JA doesn’t provide that!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 - I can only tell you what I'd do here.

Firstly, the first diamond is an AGS triple zero - which is, if not super ideal, a heck of a lot closer to it than your first diamond. For me, for cut, it would be close enough. And it *may* be super ideal - it just hasn't been designated as that by a particular company that sells them. Remember, 'super ideal' is NOT a recognized grade. It's just a designation given by certain companies for diamonds cut to the tightest specs. If the first diamond didn't pass through one of those companies, it won't be given the super ideal grading, regardless of how well cut it is. An AGS triple 0 is generally considered, as far as recognized gradings go, to be the best there is.

However....

I like a whiter diamond, and the G colored diamond definitely appears cleaner as well. Were I you (and of course, I'm not), I'd buy the G stone, see if I loved it, and, if I did, keep it and move on. If you're not a collector, if you're not looking to upgrade and *have* to have that easy-upgrade policy, I have a feeling you might find the 3 ct G stone is a winner for you. And, as I said, I also love the higher crown and the faceting pattern is good.

Keep in mind what we're talking about here: a well cut, 3 ct, G colored, eye clean diamond in the mid 30's range, with a free setting thrown in. These are not thick on the ground.

I'm going to sign off at this point, as I know I won't be able to find better than that. I wish you well and I hope you love wherever you land. Buy both, if you think that will help - and it may. It may also just scramble your brain. Only you know. But they're both good deals, they're both now listed on a public page, and they'll both be looked at a lot in the coming days. Which means they'll both sell at some point. Do keep that in mind - I would hate it if you decided on one, then missed out.

Wishing you the very best luck!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 - I can only tell you what I'd do here.

Firstly, the first diamond is an AGS triple zero - which is, if not super ideal, a heck of a lot closer to it than your first diamond. For me, for cut, it would be close enough. And it *may* be super ideal - it just hasn't been designated as that by a particular company that sells them. Remember, 'super ideal' is NOT a recognized grade. It's just a designation given by certain companies for diamonds cut to the tightest specs. If the first diamond didn't pass through one of those companies, it won't be given the super ideal grading, regardless of how well cut it is. An AGS triple 0 is generally considered, as far as recognized gradings go, to be the best there is.

However....

I like a whiter diamond, and the G colored diamond definitely appears cleaner as well. Were I you (and of course, I'm not), I'd buy the G stone, see if I loved it, and, if I did, keep it and move on. If you're not a collector, if you're not looking to upgrade and *have* to have that easy-upgrade policy, I have a feeling you might find the 3 ct G stone is a winner for you. And, as I said, I also love the higher crown and the faceting pattern is good.

Keep in mind what we're talking about here: a well cut, 3 ct, G colored, eye clean diamond in the mid 30's range, with a free setting thrown in. These are not thick on the ground.

I'm going to sign off at this point, as I know I won't be able to find better than that. I wish you well and I hope you love wherever you land. Buy both, if you think that will help - and it may. It may also just scramble your brain. Only you know. But they're both good deals, they're both now listed on a public page, and they'll both be looked at a lot in the coming days. Which means they'll both sell at some point. Do keep that in mind - I would hate it if you decided on one, then missed out.

Wishing you the very best luck!

Yeah, this is a rare find. There are other potential buyers on PS that would really like this stone. @leighton1984 , what's the latest?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I just spoke to James Allen and got some stats on the 3.03ct G SI1 diamond. It has medium fluorescence, but that's a nice thing, in my opinion: enough to make it glow a little in the right light, not enough to impact it's clarity. Its stats are as follows:

Table - 57
Depth - 62.4
Crown angle - 34.5
Pavilion angle - 41
Crown % - 15
Lower facet - 75

HCA score - 1.9

I mean, seriously, this is a great deal. it might not be super ideal, but it's SOLIDLY in the ideal category, and I'd place it favorably within that rating. It's also got a lovely arrows pattern and nice, clean faceting. It's very clean and solidly white.

If ANYBODY out there is looking for a good, very well priced, 3ct diamond, this is a bit of a steal. Comes with a free setting, too!

@LLJsmom (just because I know you've been following along with this) I'm gonna give @leighton1984 24 hours, then I'm going to start a thread for this diamond. It deserves to be owned by someone who will love it! And besides....

Finding great deals is what we do on PriceScope. :))

Last edited:

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Well, I just spoke to James Allen and got some stats. It has medium fluorescence, but that's a nice thing, in my opinion: enough to make it glow a little in the right light, not enough to impact it's clarity. Its stats are as follows:

Table - 57
Depth - 62.4
Crown angle - 34.5
Pavilion angle - 41
Crown % - 15
Lower facet - 75

HCA score - 1.9

I mean, seriously, this is a great deal. it might not be super ideal, but it's SOLIDLY in the ideal category, and I'd place it favorably within that rating. It's also got a lovely arrows pattern and nice, clean faceting. It's very clean and solidly white.

If ANYBODY out there is looking for a good, very well priced, 3ct diamond, this is a bit of a steal. Comes with a free setting, too!

@LLJsmom (just because I know you've been following along with this) I'm gonna give @leighton1984 24 hours, then I'm going to start a thread for this diamond. It deserves to be owned by someone who will love it! And besides....

Sorry, I felt like I was bugging everyone w my questions— and was honestly really getting incredibly frustrated with James Allen, not being able to help me better with the visual inspection.

I tried again yesterday for an hour... and their associates have been less then helpful... w no gemologists on staff. I also was really puzzled original super ideal vs ideal feedback!

I have both in my cart and have been debating. This G is on the higher side and a few thousand over my budget— and not as big mm wise as my other one I returned— and was worried about the Florescence, but sounds like you all think this is a steal I absolutely shouldn’t pass up.

If so, I will purchase today. Side note and likely TMI, we are in the middle of a huge remodel w our new home we just purchased — and so my stress level is through the roof trying to manage vendors in the day— and then do a lot of the manual labor in the evenings ourselves...

Sorry for so many questions and my back and forth— I’m taking all the fun out of this process, which is stressing me out more!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
A home remodel and a big stone purchase? Yikes! That’s a lot on anyone’s plate. Take a deep breath. Everyone here, as you know, is steering you in the right direction. A home remodel -that’s a whole other beast. GL with EVERYTHING.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
You definitely have a lot on your plate, but boy oh boy - you landed the right team to help this project done :) mrs-b has impeccable taste and has helped others pick their stones - most of which make me positively green with envy. With that said, do what you feel is best. It's hard to buy from a vendor that doesn't seem to be helping you - but you have a secret weapon against all of that: the formidable and lovely Mrs-b. I hope you find it is the stone of your dreams - and good luck on the remodel!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 - you are NOT being a bother - this is why PS exists!

I'm about to do some exercise and will be tied up till 3pm (it's now 1.12pm where I am), but I'll be back at 3pm my time, noon PST. When I get back, I'm going to talk the ideal vs super ideal thing through with you till you understand it, ok?

But in the meantime - PLEASE! - put that 3.03 G SI1 on hold with JA. Tell them you need a day to finalize some questions, and they'll hold it for you for nothing, no deposit needed.

I'll be back at 3pm!

And speaking as someone who has done many, many renovations - my sympathies are with you! But - as for diamonds - reeeelaaaax! We've got this! Truly!

:wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Leighton -

Firstly, one note of encouragement - as you know, if you get something you don't like, you can always return it. So no matter what happens, you're not locked in. So take a deep breath - there is no chance you'll be manipulated into a diamond you dislike, then find yourself stuck with it. Whatever happens, you're going to love your diamond! So - yay!

Re James Allen - they're not being unhelpful. They just don't have the diamonds they're selling in their possession. Blue Nile, I believe, will contact whichever diamond cutter/wholesaler/vendor is holding the stone and ask them to inspect it. James Allen, unfortunately, will not. I think they used to do that occasionally, but not any more. And they're pretty strict on that. So just to explain - James Allen is actually in possession of their own True Hearts diamonds and, I'm guessing some others in the inventory as well. But (and this is true for Blue Nile as well), by FAR the majority are held by the people who actually own them and are selling them (diamond wholesalers, diamond cutters, diamond vendors in general), and James Allen, and Blue Nile, are middle men. This is why you'll sometimes see the same diamond for sale on more than one site - for example - the WhiteFlash 'virtual inventory' one I linked to, which is also for sale on James Allen's site. Consequently, there's only so much they can do. This allows them to carry a far larger inventory and also to keep their prices down, so there are plusses and minuses.

On the other hand, I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with JA and I've asked if anyone would be willing to contact whoever is holding the diamond, and ask them to take a look at it. They said they'd get back to me.

One other bit of good news - if you pay with wire, you get a 1.5% discount. It's not a lot - but it's around $500. So that, plus a free setting, starts to close the gap between what you paid for the previous diamond, and this one.

Also, the difference in size will be completely invisible to the eye, so ignore that - it's not an issue.

I'm currently typing this from a down-dog position during a yoga class (!!). I'll pick this up later!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re ideal vs super ideal....

There are two main diamond graders in the US: GIA and AGS, and they use different categories. The highest category for AGS is 'ideal'. The highest for GIA is 'excellent'. NEITHER has a 'super ideal' category. Super ideal is just a term used by diamond sellers - NOT by the GIA or AGS - to say "this diamond is in the top, tiny segment of the best of the best". Both GIA's excellent and AGS's ideal are a range, not an exact point. So not all excellent GIA stones, nor all AGS ideal stones, are equal. So vendors started using the term 'super ideal' to describe diamonds that were at the very top of the ideal or excellent ranges. They're the best of the best. Or at least, they're meant to be.....

If you'd been on PS long enough, and read widely enough, you'd see that sometimes even with these very elite diamond companies, a stone occasionally slips through - gets the super ideal term attached to it - yet turns out to be not as tightly cut as it should be. I've seen this happen more than once, and I've seen PriceScope member eagle eyes pick it up and refer that diamond back to whichever company was holding it. So all that to say - super ideal isn't an exact category, but is 99.9999% of the time reliable as being the best of the best.

James Allen and Blue Nile never use the expression 'super ideal' - for very good reason. Since they don't hold most of their diamonds in house, they can't guarantee the very specific, highly detailed cutting associated with a super ideal diamond. That's not to say that diamonds cut that well NEVER pop up on BN's or JA's inventory - they do - and I owned one of them - a photo of which I posted earlier in this thread. Just because a diamond is sold by JA or BN doesn't mean it CAN'T be a 'super ideal' - it just means it's not as likely, since companies that sell diamonds of the super ideal caliber cut their own diamonds in house and control all means of production, then guarantee it.

I should say at this point that I've owned many super ideal diamonds. But the most beautiful diamond I've ever owned was, in fact, a Blue Nile diamond. It wasn't from their virtual inventory - it was one of their signature cuts (now called Astor Ideals), which they cut themselves. But even with their signature cuts, Blue Nile doesn't guarantee 'super ideal' status, as it's just a term they've chosen not to use. And of course, as soon as you designate some of your diamonds super ideal, the implication is that most aren't, which may or may not be true, and may also be a disastrous marketing strategy! You can also fall into the hole that I feel Brian Gavin Diamonds fell into. They had their signature cut - which are super ideals. THEN they introduced 'Brian Gavin Black' - which were meant to be 'even BETTER super ideals!'. At that point, a lot of us were left asking - where are we on the whole ideal, super ideal, 'even better than super ideal' thing?? It's a valid question. And on the other hand, some of your very high end companies don't use the term at all, as their implication is that ALL their diamonds are 'super ideal'.

So - is this becoming more clear? 'Super ideal' is a term, not a grading category. Grading categories are given by GIA or AGS (or other grading houses, but AGS and GIA are the most exacting and generally considered the best). The AGS ideal grade, and GIA excellent grade, are both categories, not exact points, so there is range within them. The GIA excellent range is wider than the AGS ideal range for cut, but that doesn't negate it from having diamonds in it some vendors would refer to as 'super ideals'. The super ideal term is used by vendors or cutters, not graders, to indicate 'the best of the best'.

The 3.03 G SI1 diamond falls into the GIA 'excellent' category. Had it been graded by AGS, it *might* have fallen into the 'ideal' category also, as its stats are very good. But just by eye-balling it, it appears to be a very lovely diamond. The other diamond I linked - the 3.32 I SI1 is an AGS ideal, so - very well cut indeed! - and very likely to be a diamond some vendors would refer to as a super-ideal. However, despite how important cut is (and iT IS!) - so is color and clarity - and the 3.03 has the 3.32 beat on those categories. The 3.32 I SI1 is .3mm wider in diameter, but on a diamond of that size, .3mm isn't going to be glaringly different. And let me just reiterate - you will NOT see any difference in size between the 3.03 and the 3.01 you had. It's less than 1/10th of a mm - too small for the eye to detect, especially at that size.

So your choice is this: slightly better cut, slightly bigger, but noticeably warmer with more inclusions vs slightly less exacting cut, slightly smaller, noticeably whiter and cleaner. For my money, so long as both cuts are excellent (and they are), I'd take whiter and cleaner.

But - and this is the whole point....

That's me. This is YOUR diamond. What matters to you?

Last edited:

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
You don't HAVE to pick one vendor and deal with them. When I decided what I wanted, I searched on PS for the diamond. The same diamond may show up under several vendors. You can tell by the identical specs. Often, one vendor will sell the diamond for a cheaper price than others. These diamonds are not in their physical inventory. They call them in. But they can call and ask about the specific diamond you are interested in. I decided to deal with Eternity by Yoni based on recommendations on here. I watched for a diamond that met my specs, went to NYC to view the diamond (and therefore could see others side by side) and had him make the ring. I think it took me 6 months to find the diamond I wanted.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Well, I just spoke to James Allen and got some stats on the 3.03ct G SI1 diamond. It has medium fluorescence, but that's a nice thing, in my opinion: enough to make it glow a little in the right light, not enough to impact it's clarity. Its stats are as follows:

Table - 57
Depth - 62.4
Crown angle - 34.5
Pavilion angle - 41
Crown % - 15
Lower facet - 75

HCA score - 1.9

I cannot make this up. I held both diamonds this morning after your post. The associate took all my information and confirmed the hold.

I never got a confirmation email, so just chatted w JA again as I wanted to place the wire— and they NEVER put them on hold and someone took the G and placed it on hold! Ugh, I am beyond upset.

This is my own fault... I should have pulled the trigger faster and not contemplated it.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Re ideal vs super ideal....

There are two main diamond graders in the US: GIA and AGS, and they use different categories. The highest category for AGS is 'ideal'. The highest for GIA is 'excellent'. NEITHER has a 'super ideal' category. Super ideal is just a term used by diamond sellers - NOT by the GIA or AGS - to say "this diamond is in the top, tiny segment of the best of the best". Both GIA's excellent and AGS's ideal are a range, not an exact point. So not all excellent GIA stones, nor all AGS ideal stones, are equal. So vendors started using the term 'super ideal' to describe diamonds that were at the very top of the ideal or excellent ranges. They're the best of the best. Or at least, they're meant to be.....

If you'd been on PS long enough, and read widely enough, you'd see that sometimes even with these very elite diamond companies, a stone occasionally slips through - gets the super ideal term attached to it - yet turns out to be not as tightly cut as it should be. I've seen this happen more than once, and I've seen PriceScope member eagle eyes pick it up and refer that diamond back to whichever company was holding it. So all that to say - super ideal isn't an exact category, but is 99.9999% of the time reliable as being the best of the best.

James Allen and Blue Nile never use the expression 'super ideal' - for very good reason. Since they don't hold most of their diamonds in house, they can't guarantee the very specific, highly detailed cutting associated with a super ideal diamond. That's not to say that diamonds cut that well NEVER pop up on BN's or JA's inventory - they do - and I owned one of them - a photo of which I posted earlier in this thread. Just because a diamond is sold by JA or BN doesn't mean it CAN'T be a 'super ideal' - it just means it's not as likely, since companies that sell diamonds of the super ideal caliber cut their own diamonds in house and control all means of production, then guarantee it.

I should say at this point that I've owned many super ideal diamonds. But the most beautiful diamond I've ever owned was, in fact, a Blue Nile diamond. It wasn't from their virtual inventory - it was one of their signature cuts (now called Astor Ideals), which they cut themselves. But even with their signature cuts, Blue Nile doesn't guarantee 'super ideal' status, as it's just a term they've chosen not to use. And of course, as soon as you designate some of your diamonds super ideal, the implication is that most aren't, which may or may not be true, and may also be a disastrous marketing strategy! You can also fall into the hole that I feel Brian Gavin Diamonds fell into. They had their signature cut - which are super ideals. THEN they introduced 'Brian Gavin Black' - which were meant to be 'even BETTER super ideals!'. At that point, a lot of us were left asking - where are we on the whole ideal, super ideal, 'even better than super ideal' thing?? It's a valid question. And on the other hand, some of your very high end companies don't use the term at all, as their implication is that ALL their diamonds are 'super ideal'.

So - is this becoming more clear? 'Super ideal' is a term, not a grading category. Grading categories are given by GIA or AGS (or other grading houses, but AGS and GIA are the most exacting and generally considered the best). The AGS ideal grade, and GIA excellent grade, are both categories, not exact points, so there is range within them. The GIA excellent range is wider than the AGS ideal range for cut, but that doesn't negate it from having diamonds in it some vendors would refer to as 'super ideals'. The super ideal term is used by vendors or cutters, not graders, to indicate 'the best of the best'.

The 3.03 G SI1 diamond falls into the GIA 'excellent' category. Had it been graded by AGS, it *might* have fallen into the 'ideal' category also, as its stats are very good. But just by eye-balling it, it appears to be a very lovely diamond. The other diamond I linked - the 3.32 I SI1 is an AGS ideal, so - very well cut indeed! - and very likely to be a diamond some vendors would refer to as a super-ideal. However, despite how important cut is (and iT IS!) - so is color and clarity - and the 3.03 has the 3.32 beat on those categories. The 3.32 I SI1 is .3mm wider in diameter, but on a diamond of that size, .3mm isn't going to be glaringly different. And let me just reiterate - you will NOT see any difference in size between the 3.03 and the 3.01 you had. It's less than 1/10th of a mm - too small for the eye to detect, especially at that size.

So your choice is this: slightly better cut, slightly bigger, but noticeably warmer with more inclusions vs slightly less exacting cut, slightly smaller, noticeably whiter and cleaner. For my money, so long as both cuts are excellent (and they are), I'd take whiter and cleaner.

But - and this is the whole point....

That's me. This is YOUR diamond. What matters to you?

I cannot thank you enough for all of your time and support. I am learning SO much through you— you are such a wealth of knowledge!!!

Now it definitely makes more sense... I swear I’m not an idiot, but this is really all so confusing!!

I am going to stalk the G to see if it comes off it’s hold... again, my own fault— I’m so indecisive and just need to pull the trigger!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 - my contact details are on LoupeTroop - can you pls contact me via my email? I'd like to communicate with you directly.

Thanks.

ETA Seriously - drop me an email asap pls.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Leighton -

Firstly, one note of encouragement - as you know, if you get something you don't like, you can always return it. So no matter what happens, you're not locked in. So take a deep breath - there is no chance you'll be manipulated into a diamond you dislike, then find yourself stuck with it. Whatever happens, you're going to love your diamond! So - yay!

Re James Allen - they're not being unhelpful. They just don't have the diamonds they're selling in their possession. Blue Nile, I believe, will contact whichever diamond cutter/wholesaler/vendor is holding the stone and ask them to inspect it. James Allen, unfortunately, will not. I think they used to do that occasionally, but not any more. And they're pretty strict on that. So just to explain - James Allen is actually in possession of their own True Hearts diamonds and, I'm guessing some others in the inventory as well. But (and this is true for Blue Nile as well), by FAR the majority are held by the people who actually own them and are selling them (diamond wholesalers, diamond cutters, diamond vendors in general), and James Allen, and Blue Nile, are middle men. This is why you'll sometimes see the same diamond for sale on more than one site - for example - the WhiteFlash 'virtual inventory' one I linked to, which is also for sale on James Allen's site. Consequently, there's only so much they can do. This allows them to carry a far larger inventory and also to keep their prices down, so there are plusses and minuses.

On the other hand, I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with JA and I've asked if anyone would be willing to contact whoever is holding the diamond, and ask them to take a look at it. They said they'd get back to me.

One other bit of good news - if you pay with wire, you get a 1.5% discount. It's not a lot - but it's around $500. So that, plus a free setting, starts to close the gap between what you paid for the previous diamond, and this one.

Also, the difference in size will be completely invisible to the eye, so ignore that - it's not an issue.

I'm currently typing this from a down-dog position during a yoga class (!!). I'll pick this up later!

You're either a saint or a diamond fairy godmother @mrs-b ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results