shape
carat
color
clarity

3.01 Carat- 2.8 HCA Score. Help Please!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @leighton1984 - and welcome to Pricescope.

I've been buying diamonds for decades now, and became a Blue Nile customer almost as soon as they went public. So I've done dozens and dozens of purchases with them.

Here's my best advice....

You're being flooded with info here. More than you can possibly process and not all of it useful. You're also clearly not sure about the diamond you bought, but you want to keep whichever diamond you settle on forever. So you're stuck.

I'd return the diamond you have and find out what's REALLY important to you. Color gets more obvious the larger a diamond is, so you'll definitely see tint in an I colored 3 ct stone, and this is a big purchase that needs to hold up to both time and scrutiny. So this may not be the way forward for you. Or it may. But you DON'T KNOW yet, and it's way too much money to spend on a purchase you haven't adequately researched.

So - just to address a few comments....

Victor Canera is a small, independent retailer, who carries a limited selection of perfectly cut diamonds in his workshop. If you want to learn about color and clarity and what you like, that's not the place to go.

The stats on the diamond you bought are not 'super ideal' as we understand them on PriceScope, but they might be to your taste. As yet, you don't know.

Clarity can vary hugely, but, like color, inclusions are more obvious in larger stones like yours. I have a VS diamond and can see the inclusions. I've had SI - or even more included - stones where I couldn't. Sometimes you'll see the inclusions in one SI stone...but not in another. Don't assume you can drop clarity and not see the difference.

And what size is your finger? How important is size to you? Have you decided on a setting? Halos, for example, are wonderful at disguising tint. They're also fabulous at disguising small drops or increases in size. Would you be better to go down to a 2.75ct stone, for example, putting it in a halo, and upping the color?

If you're SURE you'll never upgrade, then BN might be the place for you. But if there's ANY CHANCE you might in the future, then a company like WhiteFlash will be a better option for you, where you can upgrade without penalty.

And most of all - let's take this more slowly. At the moment you've got too many voices in your head using too much jargon. So, were it me, I'd return the diamond, come back, get a glass of wine, relax, come back to Pricescope and let's do this again.

I wish you well!

ETA Blue Nile regularly has 3ct I colored diamonds. I used to own a beauty from them - which was, just by the way, super ideal in its cut. So if you return the one you have, pls don' be concerned the opportunity for something similar won't come around again. It will.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally can’t decide. I’ve been sitting here re-reading this thread and staring at my ring for the last hour!

I realize you are on a deadline. So I’m going to insist but ask the question in a different way. Do you hesitate to return it because of the memories attached to the purchase of it? The trip that you made? The taxes you saved? Or the hassle of returning it? Or do you hesitate bc you think you might not find this “deal” or this complete “package” again?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I realize you are on a deadline. So I’m going to insist but ask the question in a different way. Do you hesitate to return it because of the memories attached to the purchase of it? The trip that you made? The taxes you saved? Or the hassle of returning it? Or do you hesitate bc you think you might not find this “deal” or this complete “package” again?
I’m worried I won’t find a ring better than this in this price range— and then I’ll forgo the whole fiasco of getting it by returning it—and have to start this whole process over— which will likely be another fiasco...

I’m not sure what jewelers to trust, who’s opinion to trust in person when I shop for diamonds... and even if I should trust myself since it’s so hard to compare diamonds...

if I had five lined up, it would likely be easy to tell. I have one XXX— and am comparing it to random diamonds at a high end jewelery store that I doubt are super ideal... and I don’t notice a huge difference.
I want to get the most bang for my
Buck and make sure I’m buying a quality and timeless piece... but worried I’ll never have the assurance or confidence I’m looking for— with any diamond I may purchase.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b gave some incredible advice. I think the fact that you arent *sure* means you should return it and take this more slowly

rogue

Shiny_Rock
For my $0.02, I vote you return it so that you can take a look at some super ideal cut stones. If you decide the super ideal look doesn't make a meaningful difference, my guess is that you will be able to find another 3 carat reasonably cut stone in that price range again. But it would be good to give yourself a chance to see something like this since cut makes all the difference: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4140155.htm

All that said, I don't have a super ideal stone, and I'm in the upgrade process now and I'm getting another stone that's not super ideal cut (by Pricescope standards), but I'm sacrificing that technicality due to particular circumstances (I'm looking at stones above 4 carat and am working with a specific retailer due to a work connection - so am a little more limited in what I can find). So I'm trying to back into the most well cut stone I can find (good HCA score, promising light return, optical symmetry just short of being technically hearts and arrows). If you don't need to do all that work yourself for one reason or another, I'd buy one of the branded stones for sure.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
For my $0.02, I vote you return it so that you can take a look at some super ideal cut stones. If you decide the super ideal look doesn't make a meaningful difference, my guess is that you will be able to find another 3 carat reasonably cut stone in that price range again. But it would be good to give yourself a chance to see something like this since cut makes all the difference: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4140155.htm

All that said, I don't have a super ideal stone, and I'm in the upgrade process now and I'm getting another stone that's not super ideal cut (by Pricescope standards), but I'm sacrificing that technicality due to particular circumstances (I'm looking at stones above 4 carat and am working with a specific retailer due to a work connection - so am a little more limited in what I can find). So I'm trying to back into the most well cut stone I can find (good HCA score, promising light return, optical symmetry just short of being technically hearts and arrows). If you don't need to do all that work yourself for one reason or another, I'd buy one of the branded stones for sure.

When you say branded stones- what do you mean?

Also, is super ideal only for AGS stones or can GIA stones be super ideal?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m worried I won’t find a ring better than this in this price range— and then I’ll forgo the whole fiasco of getting it by returning it—and have to start this whole process over— which will likely be another fiasco...

I’m not sure what jewelers to trust, who’s opinion to trust in person when I shop for diamonds... and even if I should trust myself since it’s so hard to compare diamonds...

if I had five lined up, it would likely be easy to tell. I have one XXX— and am comparing it to random diamonds at a high end jewelery store that I doubt are super ideal... and I don’t notice a huge difference.
Buck and make sure I’m buying a quality and timeless piece... but worried I’ll never have the assurance or confidence I’m looking for— with any diamond I may purchase.

Here’s the thing. There are soo many diamonds for you to choose from. You will find the perfect one! But if you keep this one, it sounds like you will always question it and that might lead to regret. You are lucky to have found this site. So many of us here learned the hard way—as in wasted too much money—because we didn’t know about this site.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Branded and/or "super ideal" stones refer to proprietary cuts from specific vendors that are vetted in house by them and held to extremely high cut standards. We typically are talking about stones from the "a cut above" line at whiteflash, any of the crafted by infinity diamonds, any of victor canera's signature stones, and/or some of the cuts from brian gavin diamonds (I think it's the "signaure" or "black" line but honestly am less familiar with them as a vendor)

rogue

Shiny_Rock

Just to add on to lovedogs comment, it's all about the cut. When a company like Whiteflash or others she discussed cuts a diamond so super well, they brand that as one of their most ideal cut stones. All those stones are graded independently by GIA or AGS, and those grading companies will identify those stones by their highest cut rating and call them "ideal". Those grading companies will also identify many many other stones that are not branded by those same highest cut ratings. But there are a lot more stones that are graded at those high ratings than this board would consider truly cut to the finest proportions. Buying one of the branded super ideal cuts from these retailers just takes the guess work out of it, but you could certainly find an exceptionally cut stone yourself too.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@leighton1984 -

If you'd like to share your budget, I'm happy to take a look at Blue Nile for you to see if I can spot something better. But it would help if you'd answer the questions in my post.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock

I've been buying diamonds for decades now, and became a Blue Nile customer almost as soon as they went public. So I've done dozens and dozens of purchases with them.

You're being flooded with info here. More than you can possibly process and not all of it useful. You're also clearly not sure about the diamond you bought, but you want to keep whichever diamond you settle on forever. So you're stuck.

I'd return the diamond you have and find out what's REALLY important to you. Color gets more obvious the larger a diamond is, so you'll definitely see tint in an I colored 3 ct stone, and this is a big purchase that needs to hold up to both time and scrutiny. So this may not be the way forward for you. Or it may. But you DON'T KNOW yet, and it's way too much money to spend on a purchase you haven't adequately researched.

Victor Canera is a small, independent retailer, who carries a limited selection of perfectly cut diamonds in his workshop. If you want to learn about color and clarity and what you like, that's not the place to go.

The stats on the diamond you bought are not 'super ideal' as we understand them on PriceScope, but they might be to your taste. As yet, you don't know.

Clarity can vary hugely, but, like color, inclusions are more obvious in larger stones like yours. I have a VS diamond and can see the inclusions. I've had SI - or even more included - stones where I couldn't. Sometimes you'll see the inclusions in one SI stone...but not in another. Don't assume you can drop clarity and not see the difference.

And what size is your finger? How important is size to you? Have you decided on a setting? Halos, for example, are wonderful at disguising tint. They're also fabulous at disguising small drops or increases in size. Would you be better to go down to a 2.75ct stone, for example, putting it in a halo, and upping the color?

If you're SURE you'll never upgrade, then BN might be the place for you. But if there's ANY CHANCE you might in the future, then a company like WhiteFlash will be a better option for you, where you can upgrade without penalty.

And most of all - let's take this more slowly. At the moment you've got too many voices in your head using too much jargon. So, were it me, I'd return the diamond, come back, get a glass of wine, relax, come back to Pricescope and let's do this again.

I wish you well!

ETA Blue Nile regularly has 3ct I colored diamonds. I used to own a beauty from them - which was, just by the way, super ideal in its cut. So if you return the one you have, pls don' be concerned the opportunity for something similar won't come around again. It will.

Love the idea of a glass or glasses of wine. I went through several bottles of wine during my search ;)2 I suggested she go to VC because she is in Los Angeles and VC is in her backyard. When I went to VC, he was able to produce several diamonds of all sizes, clarity and color. VC was super helpful to me with respect of learning about what I wanted. WF and HPD are amazing, but she may only be able to physically see one stone at a time. I only wish I made fewer mistakes on my journey to my stone.
@leighton1984 -

If you'd like to share your budget, I'm happy to take a look at Blue Nile for you to see if I can spot something better. But it would help if you'd answer the questions in my post.

Oh, I would take Mrs. B up on this offer. Mrs. B— yesterday OP posted a budget of $31,500 (See post #25 in this thread). I’m sure you would find a great stone! Woo hoo! Let’s get her a beauty.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

I wish you well!

Love the idea of a glass or glasses of wine. I went through several bottles of wine during my search ;)2 I suggested she go to VC because she is in Los Angeles and VC is in her backyard. When I went to VC, he was able to produce several diamonds of all sizes, clarity and color. VC was super helpful to me with respect of learning about what I wanted. WF and HPD are amazing, but she may only be able to physically see one stone at a time. I only wish I made fewer mistakes on my journey to my stone.

Oh, I would take Mrs. B up on this offer. Mrs. B— yesterday OP posted a budget of $31,500 (See post #25 in this thread). I’m sure you would find a great stone! Woo hoo! Let’s get her a beauty.

Sorry I didn’t respond!!

And what size is your finger? 5.5

How important is size to you? I really want a 3 ct or close to 3 ct. I love this one also
Bc the dimensions are large and it is pretty spready.

Have you decided on a setting? I like the simple and classic Tiffany 6 prong setting in platinum to not take away from the diamond.

Halos, for example, are wonderful at disguising tint. They're also fabulous at disguising small drops or increases in size. Would you be better to go down to a 2.75ct stone, for example, putting it in a halo, and upping the color?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

Thank you!! So super ideal isn’t just AGS if you had a super ideal cut on BN right bc I think they only do GIA stones?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Can I just say how in awe I am of so many responses!! Thank you so much for all of your help!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hallo @NicoleNeedsHelp :))

I understand your thinking re Victor - and am very familiar with him, his pieces, and his workshop / office. He does have plenty of diamonds, but I think Leighton needs to see a wider range of cuts - not only super ideal - and preferably in natural light. She also needs to be able to see various SIs so she can make a solid decision, and a selection of the same color but in different sizes. Victor is one of my all time favorite vendors and an all-round quality human being and, you probably remember, I agreed that you go with him to make your gorgeous (and I do mean gorgeous!!) new ring. But just for this instance, his selection is not wide enough for the OP to do a solid comparison of categories.

I'm happy to look for diamonds for the OP, but don't want to overwhelm her with alternative options if she'd prefer to keep the diamond she has. Will wait to hear if she feels this would be of use to her.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 - super ideal is a term companies use to describe diamonds cut to extra-tight specs. It's not an official category, and can vary - tho very minimally - between cutters. Some cutters don't like the term as it *isn't* an official grading term. My 3.61 I VS2 diamond met what most would consider super-ideal specs. And - you may find this interesting - but I no longer have it. It was just too tinted for me, and I went down in size (to a 3.05ct) in an F color. I intend to go up again in size at some point, but since I have a 3 stone ring, the drop in size is pretty well disguised.

So all that to say, you'll find super ideals at Blue Nile, but since it's not an official grading term, you might not know how to recognize them. The surest way to get one is to buy from a company that *only* deals with them - like WhiteFlash or High Performance Diamonds. Victor Canera carries them also and has a signature cut that meets those specifications, as does Brian Gavin Diamonds, Good Old Gold's Ascendancy diamond, and others.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I haven't officially decided, but am leaning toward returning based on all of your feedback! I wish Mrs B lived near me to look at it-- I trust you all more than anyone I have spoken to throughout this entire process!! Sad for the industry, but speaks volumes about this forum.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't officially decided, but am leaning toward returning based on all of your feedback! I wish Mrs B lived near me to look at it-- I trust you all more than anyone I have spoken to throughout this entire process!! Sad for the industry, but speaks volumes about this forum.

I think you're onto something with this plan, @leighton1984 . If my husband bought a car he's paid upwards of 30k for, and I asked him if he liked it, and he said "I'm not really sure" - I'd be marching him back to the car dealership for him to return it!

For that kind of money, you have to luuuuurve it! And for that kind of money, you DESERVE to love it. This is a big ticket item you hope to have forever. I try not to criticize people's diamonds, because all taste is subjective. But I can tell you, for what this is worth, a pavilion angle over 41% gets a hard no from me. And flat diamonds don't float my boat either, so I'd be sending it back for more than one reason, and that's before you even get to tint.

Here's a photo of my 3.61 I VS2 from Blue Nile. See how clean the cut is on this? So - they're out there. We just have to help you find them!

IMG_2545.JPG

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I think you're onto something with this plan, @leighton1984 . If my husband bought a car he's paid upwards of 30k for, and I asked him if he liked it, and he said "I'm not really sure" - I'd be marching him back to the car dealership for him to return it!

For that kind of money, you have to luuuuurve it! And for that kind of money, you DESERVE to love it. This is a big ticket item you hope to have forever. I try not to criticize people's diamonds, because all taste is subjective. But I can tell you, for what this is worth, a pavilion angle over 41% gets a hard no from me. And flat diamonds don't float my boat either, so I'd be sending it back for more than one reason, and that's before you even get to tint.

Here's a photo of my 3.61 I VS2 from Blue Nile. See how clean the cut is on this? So - they're out there. We just have to help you find them!

IMG_2545.JPG

So a couple of things...one, that is exactly what I told my boyfriend...because while I am second guessing everything and he thinks i'm being picky-- I really don't want HIM to waste this amount of money on something I am second guessing! That will eat at me as well!! You hit the nail on the head...

Also, your ring is gorgeous--- the setting that Blue Nile gave me for my classic Tiffany 6 prong setting looks so much cheaper than this version...my prongs look like the end of a staple! Did you get your setting elsewhere?

Also, I notice on a lot of diamonds this 8 point--- assume these are the arrows? Mine doesn't show these points- and seems more white-- which makes me almost think of my CZ earrings I wear that are white, if that makes sense? Should I be able to see these 8 points looking down at my ring quite easily?

Also, I really appreciate your feedback on why my diamond ISNT the one--- that's what I have been looking for as well...and I appreciate that. So how do you determine what a FLAT diamond is-- for my future searching? Is a flat diamond-- a spread diamond? I really love how spread this is-- but sounds like maybe that's a negative?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a couple of things...one, that is exactly what I told my boyfriend...because while I am second guessing everything and he thinks i'm being picky-- I really don't want HIM to waste this amount of money on something I am second guessing! That will eat at me as well!! You hit the nail on the head...

Also, your ring is gorgeous--- the setting that Blue Nile gave me for my classic Tiffany 6 prong setting looks so much cheaper than this version...my prongs look like the end of a staple! Did you get your setting elsewhere?

Also, I notice on a lot of diamonds this 8 point--- assume these are the arrows? Mine doesn't show these points- and seems more white-- which makes me almost think of my CZ earrings I wear that are white, if that makes sense? Should I be able to see these 8 points looking down at my ring quite easily?

Also, I really appreciate your feedback on why my diamond ISNT the one--- that's what I have been looking for as well...and I appreciate that. So how do you determine what a FLAT diamond is-- for my future searching? Is a flat diamond-- a spread diamond? I really love how spread this is-- but sounds like maybe that's a negative?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

You're welcome. :))

Our experience here on PS is that - in general - guys just don't see the fuss about diamonds. But WE DO! You value what you value - and you don't have to justify that to anyone. You've got a very healthy budget - we just need to help you find something that reflects every penny of what you're spending. What you DON'T want it to look at it one day and think "Oh." You should always be able to look at it and think "WOW!"

My setting was from David Klass Jewelry in LA. David and his business partner, Amy, are great favorites here and do lovely work. They did this ring for me and have done it for a number of other PS folks since then also. It's a lovely design - elegant and easy to wear. Altho I've bought many, many diamonds from BN, I never buy anything from them with prongs. Their prong work is poor, in my opinion, so I buy diamonds from them, then ship them to whoever is going to set them.

Your ring is showing more white light than sparkle because of that very 41.2 degree pavilion angle I mentioned earlier, and its flat top with low crown angle (I believe yours is 13.5deg?). That's low. Most ideal diamonds have a crown lift of 14% or, more likely, 14.5 - 15.5.

As for the arrows, take your diamond outside into the shade where you have a lot of light - but not direct. Put it on a flat surface, then start moving it aorund, micro amounts, and keep looking to see if you can see arrows. They shouldn't be that hard to see. If they NEVER become apparent, you want to send your stone right back: even a reasonably cut stone will show arrows if you get it at the right angle. In a super ideal cut stone, you'll be able to see all 8 arrows at once - like with mine. Generally, the less well cut the stone, the less arrows you'll see at once - or you'll see the arm of the arrow, but not the arrow head, or visa versa, and so on. You need to move the diamond just a fraction of an inch, and it takes a bit of a knack. But I'm guessing you'll find arrows at some point.

Diameter of 9.28-9.32 is pretty good - better than most - but not extraordinary for a super ideal cut stone. My stone has a depth of....60.8% I think? Yours is 61.1, which is fine and in the ideal range, but not incredibly unusual. An ideal cut diamond can be as shallow as 60.5 or as deep as 62.4 - so there's a range.

A flat diamond is not necessarily spready, and spready is not necessarily good. If a diamond is toooo wide for its carat weight, it means it's too shallow - and that's equally bad and will effect its light performance as well. Diamonds are made up of a collection of measurements, and they work together - or not! - to make it beautiful and give it maximum light return.

Diamonds over certain size markers experience a jump in price. For instance - 1ct is the big one. A .99ct diamond will take a significant drop in its price, compared to a 1ct or larger diamond. 3ct represents another one of those price hikes. Consequently, a diamond cutter will try to squeeze out a 3ct stone from a piece of rough if he can, as he can charge much more for a poorly cut 3 ct stone than a well cut 2.75ct stone. That's because we are, sadly, addicted to size.

But here at PS, while we love size (and we do!), we love ideal performance more! And since well performing diamonds reflect light better, so look a little larger, you can get away with something a tad smaller but better performing.

So there's a whole bunch of info to consider. I hope this helps!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 Listen carefully. You are lucky to be tutored by one of this forums most experienced and beloved members who is generously giving of her time and expertise. @mrs-b will not steer you wrong! Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Well that made me blush! Thank you, @lulu_ma!

:wavey:

Lol @mrs-b I’ve been obsessing about golden south sea pearls drops every since I saw yours! And I admired another PS’ers bracelet and it turned out to be your doodad :)

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Also don't worry about black arrows versus white arrows - the black is just a reflection of the camera lens (or your head) blocking the light. If you see your arrows as mrs-b suggested, you most likely could get them black with camera and background staging.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 Listen carefully. You are lucky to be tutored by one of this forums most experienced and beloved members who is generously giving of her time and expertise. @mrs-b will not steer you wrong! Good luck in your quest!

Oh gees - thank you, @Bonfire! I feel as tho @leighton1984 is in the same place where so many of us have been. It's incredibly overwhelming. Hopefully we can help her find her feet with it all - to say nothing of the diamond of her dreams! (And Happy New Year to you and yours, Bonnie!)

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Oh gees - thank you, @Bonfire! I feel as tho @leighton1984 is in the same place where so many of us have been. It's incredibly overwhelming. Hopefully we can help her find her feet with it all - to say nothing of the diamond of her dreams! (And Happy New Year to you and yours, Bonnie!)

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
@Mrs B- thank you!!

OK, after a LOT of deliberation and a ton of back and forth... I returned the diamond today (BN gave me an extra day).

I thought I would be more upset but I’m not, so I think that’s a good sign!!

So, now I really need to start hunting for this diamond before my significant other kills me for returning this one!!! Sounds like maybe Whiteflash is the best opportunity for a super ideal.. or VC— but he may be more expensive??

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
@Mrs B- thank you!!

OK, after a LOT of deliberation and a ton of back and forth... I returned the diamond today (BN gave me an extra day).

I thought I would be more upset but I’m not, so I think that’s a good sign!!

So, now I really need to start hunting for this diamond before my significant other kills me for returning this one!!! Sounds like maybe Whiteflash is the best opportunity for a super ideal.. or VC— but he may be more expensive??

Whoops @mrs-b

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@leighton1984 -

I had a good look around and found this. I know it's an I and an SI1, but I'd bet money on this being eye clean. And it's an AGS 0, and its specs are perfect.

It's bigger than your previous diamond, and if you buy it through james Allen, you'll save $1350 over buying it through WhiteFlash's virtual inventory, using wire payment.

Also, buying through JA, you'd get a free ring setting, and their prong work is considerably better than Blue Nile's.

Also, inquire about this diamond. It's much whiter, much cleaner (a classic example of all SI1 stones not being equal), and, altho I suspect it might have a high crown and be cut a little deep, it's so white and clean, with big, fat, clean arrows, it's definitely worth a look. Again, it comes with a free setting.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results