shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct Fancy Yellow (Majestry Jewelers)

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
We’re on a 19-night cruise and stumbled upon this ring in St. Martin. Is $25K a fair price?

2.00ct center stone
7.79 x 6.14 x 4.43
Fancy Yellow
Strong blue fluorescence
SI1
.58ct for 2 side emeralds & melee
GIA certificate
IMG_1017.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpeg
    IMG_1018.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 57

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
We’re on a 19-night cruise and stumbled upon this ring in St. Martin. Is $25K a fair price?

2.00ct center stone
7.79 x 6.14 x 4.43
Fancy Yellow
Strong blue fluorescence
SI1
.58ct for 2 side emeralds & melee
GIA certificate
IMG_1017.jpeg

My sense is that it’s a bit high, and you will have no opportunity to return it if you change your mind. Take a look at comps on Liebish. I looked at Diamonds by Lauren too, but didn’t see a center stone in that size/color.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a lovely bright color!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s a special occasion and you can afford it, it certainly is pretty!

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Idk if it's too high, but very pretty! Personal experience, I was on a cruise 20 years ago and found a beautiful emerald cut tanzanite set in a ring that I adored. Unfortunately I was young and unsure if I should splurge (even tho prices then were crazy good) so I let it go. I regretted it every day after. DH did eventually get me a tanzanite years later, he finally couldn't stand to hear me still talking about the one that got away, haha. But I still remember that emerald cut I passed up. Maybe try to barter a bit? Anyways, if you're in love with it and can afford it, I'd go for it. I have a few special pieces we bought on vacations, even my current wedding band, it's a wonderful way to have lasting, tangible memories. I never regret that =)2

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked James Allen, and they currently have 3 similar 2.0ct Fancy Yellow SI1 cushion-cut natural diamonds, 2 square cushions and 1 rectangle cushion:

The two JA square cushions (both have visible black inclusions on table), one is priced at $7,950 (cert dated Mar 2022) and the other is $12,111 (GIA cert Nov 2023).

The JA rectangle-shaped cushion is $8,850:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...shion-cut/2.00-carat-si1-clarity-sku-19865076
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 11.39.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 11.39.41 AM.png

Hope this is helpful to you!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all!! I can not comment on specific sellers or their stones.
A general comment though...
Strong Blue fluorescence on a Fancy Yellow diamond is....a huge detractor of price......

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Here is a ring: but the center stone is a VVS1.

cheers--Sharon

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
HI all!! I can not comment on specific sellers or their stones.
A general comment though...
Strong Blue fluorescence on a Fancy Yellow diamond is....a huge detractor of price......

Why is that? This particular diamond compared to others was quite yellow and almost “glowed”.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a complex subject.
In some Fancy Yellow Diamonds, the fluorescence leads to unusual color projection.
Sometimes a SB stone can look more yellow in some lighting situations.
GIA grading of FY SB's is far less consistent than inert stones for these reasons.
But generally speaking, in the sun - or other UV rich lighting the color washes out.
So, it's not possible to say for sure the effect is a negative...although the vast majority of SB's do have negatives.....
But it will always impact value and saleability.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does it have a yellow cup under the stone?
More than one person has bought a yellow diamond ring that they remounted the diamond and it was much less yellow.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please read the reviews of where you’re buying from!

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
It’s too high, David is telling you that with out actually telling you. He’s in the trade so what he can say is more strict and they go by a different set of rules. Trust what he says though. The king of fancy colors.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Does it have a yellow cup under the stone?
More than one person has bought a yellow diamond ring that they remounted the diamond and it was much less yellow.

Wondering the same.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t speak to pricing specifically, but jewelry is also about emotion and memory and if the price is higher than an online store that doesn’t mean it’s “too expensive”, especially since B&M stores do cost more usually. In this case there is the added memories you will associate with the ring that must be taken into account. Your assessment of the value of those and the other intangibles like the fun of picking in person isn’t something we should be trying to quantify. Only you can do that.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
I can’t speak to pricing specifically, but jewelry is also about emotion and memory and if the price is higher than an online store that doesn’t mean it’s “too expensive”, especially since B&M stores do cost more usually. In this case there is the added memories you will associate with the ring that must be taken into account. Your assessment of the value of those and the other intangibles like the fun of picking in person isn’t something we should be trying to quantify. Only you can do that.

I get what you’re saying but they specifically asked if the price was too high. Naturally people will show comps and give their opinion if she can get a ring with similar specifications for less and the answer to that question is yes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get what you’re saying but they specifically asked if the price was too high. Naturally people will show comps and give their opinion if she can get a ring with similar specifications for less and the answer to that question is yes.

I know what she asked. And I’m offering my perspective about how we evaluate price and value of jewelry.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
In this case there is the added memories you will associate with the ring that must be taken into account. Your assessment of the value of those and the other intangibles like the fun of picking in person isn’t something we should be trying to quantify.

Agreed, that's part of my consideration when in those situations as well. Paying a bit more is sorta expected when you're a tourist, but I cherish the special jewelry as lasting momentos. I prefer that over Michelin dinners or exclusive handbags or clothes which are definitely overpriced, etc. It's like always having a piece of the trip with me.

Understandable to be worried whether it's wildy overpriced tho, I would not want to resent the price paid either.

Perhaps ask yourself is saving money the more important priority? Or if you really love it, is the price is close enough to what you may pay elsewhere so that added value in emotion and memory will make up the the difference?

If price is top priority, it's at least a great learning experience. You can go home and build your own custom ring at a perhaps better price. I did that once too. I saw a designer ring I really liked but it wasn't exactly right. So I went home, contacted the designer, and built my own. That can also be very fun and rewarding!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, that's part of my consideration when in those situations as well. Paying a bit more is sorta expected when you're a tourist, but I cherish the special jewelry as lasting momentos. I prefer that over Michelin dinners or exclusive handbags or clothes which are definitely overpriced, etc. It's like always having a piece of the trip with me.

Understandable to be worried whether it's wildy overpriced tho, I would not want to resent the price paid either.

Perhaps ask yourself is saving money the more important priority? Or if you really love it, is the price is close enough to what you may pay elsewhere so that added value in emotion and memory will make up the the difference?

If price is top priority, it's at least a great learning experience. You can go home and build your own custom ring at a perhaps better price. I did that once too. I saw a designer ring I really liked but it wasn't exactly right. So I went home, contacted the designer, and built my own. That can also be very fun and rewarding!!

This 100%. If folks are OK paying more due to the memories associated with the piece/location, etc, I'm totally on board. As long as they know and are going in w eyes open.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While price is a major consideration and I understand the emotion in buying something on a special trip, I would be more concerned with the quality of what I was buying. Getting home and having doubts about what you have bought with little to no recourse would be a major consideration for me for such a purchase.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d choose the Leibish ring. Quality over impulse.
I guess my frugality overrules my sentimentality.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@two_little_birds ok..price aside, how would you feel if tomorrow you went to buy it and it had sold this evening. Would you be ambivalent or upset? Sometimes this helps me when other metrics don’t deter nor persuade me.
It’s really beautiful and I thought their reviews looked good too. But granted I didn’t spend very long looking.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t read all the comments, but the price sounds high especially with the blue fluorescence. Blue fluorescence can take away the yellow color.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the Caribbean, I would push on price -- especially in cruise-ship ports. My rule of thumb would be 30%. (Or maybe this is already your "after" price.) I have not been there for decades, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results