shape
carat
color
clarity

What effect does blue fluorescence have on yellow diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
We are familiar with blue fluoro in ''white'' diamonds and its potential to help warmer diamonds appear ''whiter'' - does blue fluoro offset the yellow in diamonds that you are seeking NOT to offset the color? Are there different ranges of yellow that it would affect/not affect (example a vivid may not have as much effect as a FLY?)
What is the effect of blue fluoro on price in yellow diamonds?
Does Yellow fluoro help a yellow diamond?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know the answers, but what are you up to??
11.gif
9.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:41:42 AM
Author::)
We are familiar with blue fluoro in 'white' diamonds and its potential to help warmer diamonds appear 'whiter' - does blue fluoro offset the yellow in diamonds that you are seeking NOT to offset the color? Are there different ranges of yellow that it would affect/not affect (example a vivid may not have as much effect as a FLY?)

I can only speak from my personal experience...

I have 2 Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds that have Med. Blue Fluor and I really don't notice any change + or - to the color of the stones-sometimes a slight 'glow' from the stones in bright sunlight-but nothing distracting, milky or even blue in color.

I owned a W-X colored diamond with med. blue fluor and that stone showed a more obvious blue 'glow' in bright sunlight, but again nothing distracting or milky.

I own a Fancy Light Yellow diamond that has yellow fluor and in certain lighting situations it does increase the body color of the diamond(increasing the yellow)

I also own a Fancy Deep Yellow RB that has strong green fluor, this stone has fantastic personalitly. It literally GLOWS green in bright sunlight, other times it looks only yellow and still others it looks a golden green color.

My Fancy Dark Grey Yellowish Green diamonds has Med blue fluor and I rarely notice a color change, maybe a slight 'glow'-not blue, in bright sunlight.

My Light Pink diamond and Fancy Pink diamond have med. blue fluor and it makes the stones look purple at times.

My Fancy Dark Grey Green Yellow diamond has med blue fluor(and orange phosphoresence) and it's color is always changing.

My Fancy Light Greyish Purple has med. blue fluor and I would say that it sometimes makes the stone more purple and others kind of any orangish purple-crazy I know.

Hope this helps :)

As far as pricing, I am no expert. I choose colored diamonds based on there overall beauty and if they appeal to me because of color, cut and uniqueness.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 11:46:59 AM
Author: stepcutnut

We are familiar with blue fluoro in 'white' diamonds and its potential to help warmer diamonds appear 'whiter' - does blue fluoro offset the yellow in diamonds that you are seeking NOT to offset the color? Are there different ranges of yellow that it would affect/not affect (example a vivid may not have as much effect as a FLY?)

I have 2 Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds that have Med. Blue Fluor and I really don't notice any change + or - to the color of the stones-sometimes a slight 'glow' from the stones in bright sunlight-but nothing distracting, milky or even blue in color.

I owned a W-X colored diamond with med. blue fluor and that stone showed a more obvious blue 'glow' in bright sunlight, but again nothing distracting or milky.

I own a Fancy Light Yellow diamond that has yellow fluor and in certain lighting situations it does increase the body color of the diamond(increasing the yellow)

I also own a Fancy Deep Yellow RB that has strong green fluor, this stone has fantastic personalitly. It literally GLOWS green in bright sunlight, other times it looks only yellow and still others it looks a golden green color.

My Fancy Dark Grey Yellowish Green diamonds has Med blue fluor and I rarely notice a color change, maybe a slight 'glow'-not blue, in bright sunlight.

My Light Pink diamond and Fancy Pink diamond have med. blue fluor and it makes the stones look purple at times.

My Fancy Dark Grey Green Yellow diamond has med blue fluor and I rarely notice any color change.

As far as pricing, I am no expert.
Wowser!! That's quite a list you have there, Stepcutnut.

Do you have pics and/ or specs of these beauties you'd like to share with us?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:55:35 AM
Author: Phoenix
Date: 1/28/2009 11:46:59 AM

We are familiar with blue fluoro in ''white'' diamonds and its potential to help warmer diamonds appear ''whiter'' - does blue fluoro offset the yellow in diamonds that you are seeking NOT to offset the color? Are there different ranges of yellow that it would affect/not affect (example a vivid may not have as much effect as a FLY?)

I have 2 Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds that have Med. Blue Fluor and I really don''t notice any change + or - to the color of the stones-sometimes a slight ''glow'' from the stones in bright sunlight-but nothing distracting, milky or even blue in color.

I owned a W-X colored diamond with med. blue fluor and that stone showed a more obvious blue ''glow'' in bright sunlight, but again nothing distracting or milky.

My Fancy Dark Grey Yellowish Green diamonds has Med blue fluor and I rarely notice a color change, maybe a slight ''glow''-not blue, in bright sunlight.

My Fancy Dark Grey Green Yellow diamond has med blue fluor and I rarely notice any color change.

As far as pricing, I am no expert.

Wowser!! That''s quite a list you have there, Stepcutnut.

Do you have pics and/ or specs of these beauties you''d like to share with us?

I am a jewelry/diamond/gemstone nut, so I have kind of a crazy collection.

I do have photos of some of them and have posted many of them in the past-I think the thread was titled: Colored diamonds from a few months ago.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here is the crazy GIA Fancy Deep Yellow, .89ct with Strong Green Fluor.

Fancy Deep Yellow Round.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Glowing
23.gif

Fancy Deep Yellow  Round with Fluor.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Sorry so big!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great question!
stepcutnut''s personal experience is quite valuable- and it shows that there''s no "easy" answer to this question.

Here''s a few broad generalities:
* Fluorescence in a yellow diamond may actually increase the broadcast color in normal room lighting ( which does not contain a high percentage of UV)
For this reason, many dealers believe GIA is actually tougher on a fluorescent diamond as compared to one with no fl.
The result of this is that sometimes a diamond graded "Fancy Yellow" with strong blue can look like a "Fancy Intense Yellow" - ( the next darker grade) in normal room lighting.
Put it in the sun, and it may look one ( or more) shades lighter if the fluorescence is blue ( the most common)
SO- does it help? Yes , and no

* Pricing: In many way we can draw comparisons to colorless diamonds. If a D/VVS1 has Medium, or Strong Blue the price will take a hit.
If a J/VVS1 has it, there''s no price penalty.
Moving to Fancy Colors- If a U-V, W-X, or Y-Z ( light fancy colors) have fluorescence, there''s'' virtually no effect on the price. Of course these are some of the lowest priced fine diamonds you can find.
If we''re talking about a Fancy Intense Yellow, Medium or Strong Blue can whack a nice chunk off the price.

If we take this a step further to include the super rare colors- such as Blue and Pink- Fluorescence can have little or no impact on price- of course depending on the visual.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 12:07:47 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
If a J/VVS1 has it, there's no price penalty.
Normally I'd expect to pay a bit more for J with noticeable fluorescence, if it's really a J.

Isn't yellow body color with strong green fluoro one possible indication of HTHP? If GIA didn't grade as such I bet they looked long and hard for it
2.gif

My FIY with medium yellow makes it difficult for me to buy other FIYs 'cause other FIYs usually don't look as good!
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 1:00:03 PM
Author: elmo

Normally I'd expect to pay a bit more for J with noticeable fluorescence, if it's really a J.

Isn't yellow body color with strong green fluoro one possible indication of HTHP? If GIA didn't grade as such I bet they looked long and hard for it
2.gif

My FIY with medium yellow makes it difficult for me to buy other FIYs 'cause other FIYs usually don't look as good!
2.gif

Elmo-As I stated above, my RB was certified by the GIA as natural and Given Strong Green Fluor
9.gif
A very rare color, cut and fluor combo!
Actually, I believe all my stones that I listed above are GIA certified.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own a yellow with fluoresence. What do I think? It does nothing for the stone. It looks marginally whiter in daylight. Shine a UV light on it and it looks great but how often do you do that! It was a huge disappointment for me because I expected the diamond to have many personalities and in all honesty it''s just dull and boring!

Having said all that, I''ve just bought an I colour strong blue fluor that has knocked me sideways. It''s one of the most wonderful diamonds I''ve seen and yes, it does have a multiple personality.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 1:39:31 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I own a yellow with fluoresence. What do I think? It does nothing for the stone. It looks marginally whiter in daylight. Shine a UV light on it and it looks great but how often do you do that! It was a huge disappointment for me because I expected the diamond to have many personalities and in all honesty it''s just dull and boring!

Having said all that, I''ve just bought an I colour strong blue fluor that has knocked me sideways. It''s one of the most wonderful diamonds I''ve seen and yes, it does have a multiple personality.

LD-what color yellow is your diamond and what strength Fluor???

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a U-V natural fancy light yellow with strong blue fluor. The yellow in almost all lights is a vanilla colour (if that makes sense).

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vanilla! What a great descriptive LD!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Stepcutnut, that''s so awesome!!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Do you have any more?
3.gif
1.gif

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:09:25 AM
Author: Ellen
I don''t know the answers, but what are you up to??
11.gif
9.gif
12.gif
9.gif

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 12:05:15 PM
Glowing
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

36.gif

What a collection! Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. That is helpful. I actually really like that deep on my monitor!

Do you ever wear any of your collection, or do you just keep it loose?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Brilliant_Rock
Great question!
stepcutnut''s personal experience is quite valuable- and it shows that there''s no ''easy'' answer to this question.

Here''s a few broad generalities:
* Fluorescence in a yellow diamond may actually increase the broadcast color in normal room lighting
Is this blue fluoro, or yellow fluoro, or both?

( which does not contain a high percentage of UV)
For this reason, many dealers believe GIA is actually tougher on a fluorescent diamond as compared to one with no fl.
The result of this is that sometimes a diamond graded ''Fancy Yellow'' with strong blue can look like a ''Fancy Intense Yellow'' - ( the next darker grade) in normal room lighting.
Put it in the sun, and it may look one ( or more) shades lighter if the fluorescence is blue ( the most common)
Thanks, that helps

* Pricing: In many way we can draw comparisons to colorless diamonds. If a D/VVS1 has Medium, or Strong Blue the price will take a hit.
If a J/VVS1 has it, there''s no price penalty.
Moving to Fancy Colors- If a U-V, W-X, or Y-Z ( light fancy colors) have fluorescence, there''s'' virtually no effect on the price. Of course these are some of the lowest priced fine diamonds you can find.
If we''re talking about a Fancy Intense Yellow, Medium or Strong Blue can whack a nice chunk off the price.
Is that the same for vivids?

If we take this a step further to include the super rare colors- such as Blue and Pink- Fluorescence can have little or no impact on price- of course depending on the visual.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 1:00:03 PM

Isn''t yellow body color with strong green fluoro one possible indication of HTHP? If GIA didn''t grade as such I bet they looked long and hard for it
2.gif

My FIY with medium yellow makes it difficult for me to buy other FIYs ''cause other FIYs usually don''t look as good!
2.gif
Why is this? Do stones with Strong Green fluoro have a characteristic that makes them better for HTHP treatment so they tend to be used for that?

So you found that the medium yellow has helped the color of your stone?

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 1:39:31 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I own a yellow with fluoresence. What do I think? It does nothing for the stone. It looks marginally whiter in daylight. Shine a UV light on it and it looks great but how often do you do that! It was a huge disappointment for me because I expected the diamond to have many personalities and in all honesty it's just dull and boring!

Having said all that, I've just bought an I colour strong blue fluor that has knocked me sideways. It's one of the most wonderful diamonds I've seen and yes, it does have a multiple personality.
9.gif
Glad you got one that knocked you sideways!

How much fluoro does your yellow have?

ETA: I see that was already asked (great minds....!) and you answered - Thanks!

Brilliant_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 10:39:39 AM
Author: :)

Date: 1/29/2009 10:29:12 AM

Date: 1/29/2009 10:18:39 AM

Date: 1/28/2009 11:09:25 AM
I don''t know the answers, but what are you up to??
11.gif
9.gif
12.gif
9.gif
6.gif

wahh.gif
742469s3709nw4fb.gif

Sharesies with you?
Ok, NOW yer talkin.
9.gif

Can''t wait to see what "we''re" getting!
2.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/29/2009 10:30:07 AM

Great question!
stepcutnut's personal experience is quite valuable- and it shows that there's no 'easy' answer to this question.

Here's a few broad generalities:
* Fluorescence in a yellow diamond may actually increase the broadcast color in normal room lighting
Is this blue fluoro, or yellow fluoro, or both?

( which does not contain a high percentage of UV)
The result of this is that sometimes a diamond graded 'Fancy Yellow' with strong blue can look like a 'Fancy Intense Yellow' - ( the next darker grade) in normal room lighting.
Thanks, that helps

Moving to Fancy Colors- If a U-V, W-X, or Y-Z ( light fancy colors) have fluorescence, there's' virtually no effect on the price. Of course these are some of the lowest priced fine diamonds you can find.
If we're talking about a Fancy Intense Yellow, Medium or Strong Blue can whack a nice chunk off the price.
Is that the same for vivids?

If the stone is a straight Vivid Yellow, yes, it will negatively impact the price. If the stone has modifiers- like Fancy Orange Vivid the effect is less. That would be if the stone was super desirable due to rare color ( orange)

You also asked about Yelllow Fl- again, in a straight yellow stone, I find that any medium or strong fl impacts the price.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:09:09 PM
Author: Phoenix
Wow, Stepcutnut, that''s so awesome!!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Do you have any more?
3.gif
1.gif

I do have a bunch of pics, but they are spread between a few computers and some go eaten on another computer that died---when I get a chance I can post a few others :)

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 10:32:49 AM
Why is this? Do stones with Strong Green fluoro have a characteristic that makes them better for HTHP treatment so they tend to be used for that?

Google "green fluorescence" HPHT for results on the trade sites like diamonds.net (Rapaport) and JCK. It is a strong suggestion of HPHT but requires additional analysis to prove. My understanding is that the GIA will grade stones like this but the comments will indicate it if HPHT was detected. Especially if a report is from several years ago I'd have a stone with this retested before buying unless the price reflects the possibility.

Yes, in my case the medium yellow makes what is already a nice FIY under filtered light appear vivid in sunlight or under full-spectrum lighting. As Garry Holloway says the bees knees. I've also heard what David is saying, that fluorescence results in some prejudice at the GIA for yellows.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 10:22:52 AM
Date: 1/28/2009 12:05:15 PM

Glowing
23.gif

23.gif
23.gif

36.gif

What a collection! Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. That is helpful. I actually really like that deep on my monitor!

Do you ever wear any of your collection, or do you just keep it loose?

Thanks I love colored diamonds and The stones posted above are some from my collection that have fluor. I actually have many of them set and wear some of them regularly and others not so often. I have ideas for how I''d like to set most of them though
9.gif

The FDY RB is fabulous in person, lots of personality!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 12:19:06 PM
Date: 1/29/2009 10:32:49 AM

Google ''green fluorescence'' HPHT for results on the trade sites like diamonds.net (Rapaport) and JCK. It is a strong suggestion of HPHT but requires additional analysis to prove. My understanding is that the GIA will grade stones like this but the comments will indicate it if HPHT was detected. Especially if a report is from several years ago I''d have a stone with this retested before buying unless the price reflects the possibility.

Yes, in my case the medium yellow makes what is already a nice FIY under filtered light appear vivid in sunlight or under full-spectrum lighting. As Garry Holloway says the bees knees. I''ve also heard what David is saying, that fluorescence results in some prejudice at the GIA for yellows.

Elmo
Actually the GIA report is very new and states no indication of HPHT, so I feel very confident in the GIA''s results of Natural :)

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think it makes it truly special! For mine the original report was early 2000s so the recheck added some peace of mind. There was a period where I don't think labs were on top of the problem like they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results