shape
carat
color
clarity

2023 Summer Blockbusters: Barbie or Oppenheimer or both?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see Barbie. My SIL and I are taking my niece and daughter. Both girls were American Girl kiddos but my SIL and I grew up with Barbies.

I’ll wait to stream Oppenheimer someday. I can’t do 3 hours in a theater, even in a recliner.

Yes, 3 hours is a stretch. Even with a drink and food!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
We saw Oppenheimer yesterday and I'm glad we did. It's three hours alright, but I barely felt them. I'll probably watch it again after the digital release.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was due to see Oppenheimer today, Friday 28 July 2023, however, I tested positive for Covid on Tuesday, almost certain to have caught it during the return leg of my trip to Amsterdam on Saturday!

Luckily, the cinema allowed me to refund the ticket as credit for later use. Just hope it is still available to watch on a big screen anywhere when I am out of self-isolation.

DK :))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We saw Oppenheimer yesterday and I'm glad we did. It's three hours alright, but I barely felt them. I'll probably watch it again after the digital release.

Did you watch in imax? I heard that is really a treat!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll watch both when they come out on DVD! And then we'll try to get them from the library-- or Redbox at the most.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was due to see Oppenheimer today, Friday 28 July 2023, however, I tested positive for Covid on Tuesday, almost certain to have caught it during the return leg of my trip to Amsterdam on Saturday!

Luckily, the cinema allowed me to refund the ticket as credit for later use. Just hope it is still available to watch on a big screen anywhere when I am out of self-isolation.

Aw. Sorry to hear that.
Hope you recover soon, and fully.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Feel better @dk168

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit Barbie is a bit too fluffy and sugary for my taste, however, it was kind of fun to watch.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never had a Barbie (or Cindy), so no interest in seeing the film. As we have Peacock, we’ll probably watch Oppenheimer when they stream it, but I wouldn’t make a special trip to the cinema to watch it.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Did you watch in imax? I heard that is really a treat!

Yep! I opt for imax whenever I'm able. I have a sufficiently large TV at home to get the feel of a movie theater while leisuring on my own couch, but the size of the imax screen is a whole different world.

The only pet peeve I have (and to be honest it applies to most modern movies) is the sound levels. I expect I'll need to use my ears for several more decades and I very much do not need to be blown away from my seat by the sheer force of the movie speakers, thank you very much.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I saw both. I was in the mood for science and politics. Oppenheimer disappointed; Barbie was great. I wonder how many people will like the Oppenheimer movie less because Barbie came out on the same weekend.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Booked to see Oppenheimer on Wednesday evening.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to see it last night, it is a tad too long, however a good film.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
in the 70's Barbie was a cool gal
mine had white platform shoes and orange dresses
i had no hang up about body image from the Barbie of my day

had one of our older lady customers come in today (the movies are cheaper on tuesdays for oldies)
raving about the movie and recomending it

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got back from Barbie. I have a lot of thoughts but overall I thought it was great, good for almost all ages, and had a positive message for everyone. I was thinking my generation had Fried Green Tomatoes, this Gen has Barbie. 8/10 because Ryan Gosling singing “Push” by Matchbox 20 sucked enough to drop 2 points.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
My girls group ( 50’s ) went to see the Barbie movie last week. We really enjoyed it. I grew up playing Barbies in the 70s and had the Barbie airplane so my dream job as a nine year old was flight attendant. However, I never really put that much thought into Barbie’s figure or careers as pertaining to anything that I should or should not be aspiring to. I’m not really sure why that happens with some people. My younger son wanted to be a television when he was four years old and I’m pretty sure he was not crushed when he learned he couldn’t be. I never overthink movies. If you don’t like the subject matter, don’t go.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unlikely to be on any PSer's list of film to see, however, I really fancy watching the latest TMNT film on the big screen, and it has good reviews!

DK :lol-2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unlikely to be on any PSer's list of film to see, however, I really fancy watching the latest TMNT film on the big screen, and it has good reviews!

I’ll take my daughter if she wants to go see it and maybe bring a friend! I was juuuuust a wee bit too old for TMNT when it was a popular cartoon here, so it wasn’t a huge part of my childhood. I was into Super Mario Bros by then, I think.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would you send your sitter to go see Barbie?

:lol-2:

Fair enough! DH and I have secured a sitter to watch our children so "we" can go see Barbie THIS Saturday!

B

Betty Baguette

Maybe Barbie when it comes to streaming.

Definitely Mission: Impossible!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

My sister brought her kids to TMNT today and she really enjoyed it. Apparently I have to go now because she wants a second viewing without the kids. It must be good.

I actually liked Barbie. It was fun and different. Although DH is now learning how to play Push on the guitar so I may regret my life choices.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took myself to Barbie, because a bunch of friends had all seen it and kept saying it was great. I agree with that assessment, I thought it was fantastic. I generally don't want to see anything not funny, and it was funny but also had some seriousness. But I have no interest whatsoever in Oppenheimer.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
We went to see Barbie! I went in without expectations and it was pretty good- lots of funny moments and a good exploration of gender expectations for men and women in US society and what a total flip of that would look like (the Barbies were jerks to the Kens IMO)! Surprisingly well acted and it’s visually well done with nice nostalgia for anyone who played with Barbies over the years.

I don’t know if I have the mental energy to get through Oppenheimer right now as it’s a serious movie and Im pretty burned out from work but I’m sure it’s excellent based on the reviews and with its cast and director.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im now definatly sure its not for me, ( Barbie)
most humour goes way over my head or i think its just silly

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brought my teens to the Barbie movie opening night and it was a blast and a half. I can’t actually remember the last time I was that entertained at the movies (maybe Titanic in the 90’s!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results