shape
carat
color
clarity

2023 Summer Blockbusters: Barbie or Oppenheimer or both?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be watching Barbie or Oppenheimer or both?

I watched Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny recently, and thought it was OK, better than Crystal Skull which is not difficult.

Growing up, I have never had or played with a Barbie or any other dolls, or Hello Kitty or any other cutesy figures. I preferred Legos and other types of toys involving being built and painted etc...

I liked the look of the trailers of Barbie and Oppenheimer, and have planned to go and watch both on the big screen.

The two big-hitting films, referred to as ‘Barbenheimer’, are being released on the same day — 21 July 2023.

Would you watch one or the other or both?

DK :))

clairebc

Rough_Rock
I'll be watching both! But not on the same day haha

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up playing with Barbie, but have no interest in watching it now at my advanced age. I’m thinking about Oppenheimer because I think that will be interesting, but I will watch the new Mission impossible one because of all the rave reviews that seems to be getting.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah, I'll be seeing Mission Impossible on the big screen for sure, but I'm okay waiting to see Oppenheimer & Barbie when available to stream at home ...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article gives some interesting insights on the Barbie movie:

(The link should get you past the NYT paywall, but it’s only good for the next few days.)

The Barbie movie’s producers aren’t pulling any punches when it comes to publicity stunts. We spotted this apparition in June, while we were motoring through Denmark:

IMG_6897.jpeg

BTW, I’ll probably go to see the Barbie movie, just because. I was never a Barbie nut but I do love both the fashion and social statement aspects of Barbie dolls. Although I never had more than just one Barbie doll, I loved checking out the new Barbie outfits every time the Sears Christmas catalog came out!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Huge Barbie fan here - my 17yo daughter and I already have our tickets booked for pending night 20/7 here in Australia.

Oppenheimer I will probably see by myself or possibly with our 16yo son as he is the history nerd like me.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
While I appreciate all the hard work done to create the Barbie movie, and it definitely seems like it will be a success or even a classic in its genre, it's the type of comedy that doesn't quite suit me. Besides, it's a WB movie, so it's bound to appear on HBO at some point, which will allow me to watch it at my own pace and in the small, 20-30 minute increments I'm used to.

Oppenheimer, on the other hand, is right up my alley. Christopher Nolan has made numerous movies I've enjoyed watching, and often re-watching, his style just suits my taste. The movie plot explores a wildly interesting and crucial moment of human history, a turning point of sorts. So I'm fully expecting to have a memorable experience with it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both! The Oppenheimer reviews look amazing and the Barbie preview looks hilarious.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never watched a Mission Impossible film, or the Top Guns, as I am not a fan of Tom Cruise!

I have only watched a handful of his films: War of the Worlds, Colour of Money (more for Paul Newman), Rain Man (for Dustin Hoffman).

The reviews for the new MI film are not very good in UK.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I definitely plan on seeing Barbie!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The MEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love creature movies. Godzilla is my hero!

Oppenheimer and the latest Mission Impossible for sure on the big screen. No Barbie for me--at the theatre. Happy to wait till it comes out via my TV. It does look cute!

(I used to start this thread!!!!)

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oppenheimer looks interesting.
I'll keep an eye out for it when it is finally included (not actually free) in the monthly bill of a streaming service.
I never pay extra to "rent" something on a streaming platform that I'm already paying for; I always find something else that's included in the monthly fee.
Fortunately for me my tastes are nearly always the polar opposite to a so-called blockbuster or anything "trending". :dance:

The Criterion Collection's content is right up my alley.

But pink poofy fluff like Barbie is a hard no for me.
I'd rather have all my skin peeled off, be sprinkled with salt, and left out to bake on the desert floor of Death Valley during a 130 F day, or worse, become a waiter at Chuck E. Cheese with no hearing protection. :knockout:

cec.png

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's chatter ...

SNIP
"When will you be able to stream Oppenheimer on Peacock?

We can’t say exactly just yet, but you can assume it won’t be too long after the movie has passed through the more lucrative channels.
Our guess is that Oppenheimer will be streaming on Peacock no later than the end of October.
By the end of 2023 at the very, very latest."

Source:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Both! I loved Gerwig's Little Women, and love Margot Robbie, so Barbie should be super fun. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Oppenheimer's non-CGI special effects. What a rarity these days!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Oppenheimer for sure! No interest in Barbie

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see soo many women and ladies hyping up Barbie movie and am shocked bc I thought it was not too long ago that they were crapping on her for being anti feminist

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i
Would you be watching Barbie or Oppenheimer or both?

I watched Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny recently, and thought it was OK, better than Crystal Skull which is not difficult.

Growing up, I have never had or played with a Barbie or any other dolls, or Hello Kitty or any other cutesy figures. I preferred Legos and other types of toys involving being built and painted etc...

I liked the look of the trailers of Barbie and Oppenheimer, and have planned to go and watch both on the big screen.

The two big-hitting films, referred to as ‘Barbenheimer’, are being released on the same day — 21 July 2023.

Would you watch one or the other or both?

im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo behind
i didnt even know there was a barbie movie till one of the bakers at work made bubble gum cheese cake this week
my Barbie's were '70's Barbies, so no pink, mine had orange dresses with platform shoes
and i still love orange

naturally havnt heard of the other movie but when i took the bus home on Friday night after work there were a lot of people buying tickets to the movies when we drove past

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's chatter ...

SNIP
"When will you be able to stream Oppenheimer on Peacock?

We can’t say exactly just yet, but you can assume it won’t be too long after the movie has passed through the more lucrative channels.
Our guess is that Oppenheimer will be streaming on Peacock no later than the end of October.
By the end of 2023 at the very, very latest."

Source:

thanks for posting the trailer Kenny
that does look really good

probabaly wont go to the movies,
would rather watch at home when i can

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see soo many women and ladies hyping up Barbie movie and am shocked bc I thought it was not too long ago that they were crapping on her for being anti feminist

Really? I don't think I've seen this. Barbie is actually super feminist. When she was created women couldn't open their own bank accounts or own their own houses. Barbie owns her own home, paid for with money from her own job. Barbie has her own bank account and credit card, she owns her own car. Barbie can be a doctor or an astronaut or whatever she wants. The kens are all basically trophy boyfriends (specifically not husbands, as Barbie will never be a housewife).

I'll definitely watch both, but I'm not a theater person, so I'll wait until they are streaming and watch at home. Oppenheimer is THREE HOURS long, that's too long for my attention span at a theater lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LOL I saw a Barbie limited edition striped blouse at the Gap. SOLD out in my size--or you bet I could have bought one!!!! I've always loved pink clothing and vertical stripes. While I never owned a Barbie I thought this was a good substitute!

cheers--Sharon

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Barbie movie is not just a fluffy piece about a perfect life - it’s actually pointing out that many of us as children &preteens thought that like Barbie we could have it all (pretty clothes, perfect lives, partners and amazing careers) however in truth as adults, you can’t have everything without losing something of importance.

It was actually very nuanced and not a movie aimed at young kids, IMO more towards the 30’s and upwards crowd who are trying to juggle all that life entails.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? I don't think I've seen this. Barbie is actually super feminist. When she was created women couldn't open their own bank accounts or own their own houses. Barbie owns her own home, paid for with money from her own job. Barbie has her own bank account and credit card, she owns her own car. Barbie can be a doctor or an astronaut or whatever she wants. The kens are all basically trophy boyfriends (specifically not husbands, as Barbie will never be a housewife).

I'll definitely watch both, but I'm not a theater person, so I'll wait until they are streaming and watch at home. Oppenheimer is THREE HOURS long, that's too long for my attention span at a theater lol.

the unrealistic standards of beauty that many of us grew up with thanks to her big boobs and small waist blah blah blah…
Friends my age say they grew up with body insecurities as a result of playing with them

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you would like to be happy at the end of a movie don't go see Oppenheimer. It's a incredible cast but I'm still in a mood and I saw it yesterday. Yesterday was full on ranting and an adult beverage so...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the unrealistic standards of beauty that many of us grew up with thanks to her big boobs and small waist blah blah blah…
Friends my age say they grew up with body insecurities as a result of playing with them

her.
unrealistic.
standards.
beauty.
insecurity.
adults.

Reactions: ame

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am seeing Barbie today, and Oppenheimer on Friday.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barbie was like eating a giant pink candy floss/cotton candy, not much substance, sickly sweet at times, yet fun to eat!

DK :lol-2:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
If you would like to be happy at the end of a movie don't go see Oppenheimer. It's a incredible cast but I'm still in a mood and I saw it yesterday. Yesterday was full on ranting and an adult beverage so...

This is the best recommendation of this movie I’ve come across so far.

I have tickets for Thursday. Can’t wait.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see Barbie. My SIL and I are taking my niece and daughter. Both girls were American Girl kiddos but my SIL and I grew up with Barbies.

I’ll wait to stream Oppenheimer someday. I can’t do 3 hours in a theater, even in a recliner.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I won't go to the theater to see Barbie, but I will definitely pay to rent it when it comes to Vudu. It looks pretty funny.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results