shape
carat
color
clarity

20 carat diamond for sale

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/24/2004 10:47:32 PM MelissaSue wrote:

Here's what I think... I think 'Rachelle' is either a big big liar or likes getting scammed into buying fake stones.. Melissa
----------------

Will the ebay queen tell us what's really going on?

rachelle

Rough_Rock
ok here it is, I purchased a 2 carat purple diamond from a woman on ebay who bought it at a jewelers estate sale. The stone in question I decided to return at her request. She is taking it to a pro on colored stones. If it really is rare then I would not feel comfortable buying it for so little from someone who did not know what they were selling. I sent one of you pictures. It is the opinion of that person that it is not diamond but colored topaz so either way I am not out anything. After that I found the 20 carat diamond. I had never heard of something that large so I came on here to ask what it would be worth, used for ect.. I found that anything over 10 carats starts to go down in value not up. There are very few ways to use a stone that large and it most likely cannot be recut sense it is fracture filled. This too makes it loose more value. Why was it cut that way in the first place? One of you have told me that you have seen stones of this size used for promotional purposes. One of the members had a valid point on the people who apprasied it for so much. He talks about his $300 emerald coming back from them as being worth $105,000, but he sold it for $600. That confirmed my opinion that it was way over valued. If you think I am still lying that is fine but why would I waste your time and mine? I have better things to do then make up stories. Anyway if I were, I would try to make it sound more real. Nothing sounds more like a lie then the truth. Really I should not have to explain myself. I asked a question with the hopes of getting an answer. Some of you have been very helpful and I thank you. Others have been very rude. When I have a question in the future I will ask the experts directly insted of having my integrity challenged by some of you.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
rachelle- I think people here are really just not used to seeing questions about such enormous stones, I mean, let's face it, they're not particularly common items!
6.gif

Please don't take disbelief over the stone or the offer personally, I don't think anyone intended it to reflect on you, but rather the stone itself and the nature of the offer. It's just not something we're used to dealing with around here. Maybe there's a parallel PS for superstars with 10+ carat rings where your post wouldn't have caused a stir
2.gif
. Also, I think many (myself included) were genuinely concerned that you not get taken for a ride with this, hence the strong recommendations that you get an independent appraisal prior to any money changing hands. Also, there were doubts that the photo was really of the item in question.

All the best,

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
rachelle,
I have been in Asia for a few weeks and am catching up on some of these topics. If you have a 20 ct fracture filled diamond that is reasonably attractive, it is still worth way more than 10,000 and it will not sell for way less than it's wholesale value from a bank. I work with banks every week on liquidations of estates. If IRS is involved, where fair market or IRS liquidation values are needed, no phony appraisal is used. Fines are too high for playing games. No decent appraiser would miss the fracture filling in a 20 ct stone. If the bank ownes the diamond, they have a list of where to dump jewelry locally at slightly below wholesale and would have no need to take crazy low offers for something that has an easy sell to liquidators. Even fracture filled, or lower end diamonds will find a home in a 20ct size. I just saw the largest collection in the world of 30ct and larger D FL diamonds at the Hong Kong Show, pretty impressive. Someone is buying those diamonds, $200,000 is pocket change for some of those buyers.
I will be interested to hear what happens with this stone.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
A quick look at the International trade listing shows that there are currently 35 x20ct to 30ct diamonds available for purchase.

In my opinion the current fair retail purchase price for a 20ct L I1 laser drilled clarity enhanced diamond would be around US$35,000.00 but like others have mentioned it MUST be checked out by a professional appraiser before you lay out 1cent.

Johan

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/25/2004 4:52:24 AM yowahking wrote:

rachelle,
. I work with banks every week on liquidations of estates. If IRS is involved, where fair market or IRS liquidation values are needed, no phony appraisal is used. If the bank ownes the diamond, they have a list of where to dump jewelry locally at slightly below wholesale and would have no need to take crazy low offers for something that has an easy sell to liquidators. --------

Precisely my point. They aren't going to sell to joe consumer. Just doesn't happen. Too many risks involved. And, typically if it's an estate settlement an attorney from the estate department is involved. I've been buying from estate's for 15+ years. It's not protocol to sell to an individual outside of the family. And, usually objects go out to bid.

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/25/2004 4:52:24 AM yowahking wrote:

I just saw the largest collection in the world of 30ct and larger D FL diamonds at the Hong Kong Show, pretty impressive. ----------------

woah--yowahking, you may have seen MMM's cushion then!

2.gif
9.gif

(she's been lusting after a cushion cut diamond that was sent to HK for the show)

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Rachelle,

I think you provided the most interesting thread of the week
appl.gif

Please don't take offense at my/our comments.
saint.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that pic of the stone was a LOT smaller than what I thought a 20 ct stone would be.

At first, I thought I should have placed a bid and just bought a 1 carat version of the ring I got my g/f. Then she''d have a monster flawed stone for those simply impressed by size, and a sparkly regular one to wear. But, the pic ended up being a lot smaller than I imagined. Looks like how I imagined 7 ct stones to be.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
free bump for a comical thread!

Reena you kill me!
36.gif
Thanks soo much for the laugh while I''m working late.

hey joey

Rough_Rock
TELL THEM YOU WANT TO TRADE YOUR BMW 1998 745I WITH 189,000 MILES FULLY LOADED FOR THE 20 CARAT IT''S ONLY WORTH 1300 PER CARAT

GOOD LUCK
PS. THEN SELL IT ON EBAY

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
Hey, Hey Joey. BMW didn''t make a the 745 in 1998. It was the 740 iL that year. Not that this has any relevance to the subject at hand, just an FYI.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 8:29:03 PM
Author: codex57
Wow, that pic of the stone was a LOT smaller than what I thought a 20 ct stone would be.

At first, I thought I should have placed a bid and just bought a 1 carat version of the ring I got my g/f. Then she''d have a monster flawed stone for those simply impressed by size, and a sparkly regular one to wear. But, the pic ended up being a lot smaller than I imagined. Looks like how I imagined 7 ct stones to be.
That''s exactly what I was thinking. That diamond didn''t even look like 10 carats to me. I figured maybe the model had extremely large hands??

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
This is the strangest and most entertaining thread that I have ever read.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
SO FUNNY!!!!!!
3.gif
This thread started in 2004 and people are still commenting on it! It is quite amusing though. I say, if you are clueless about diamonds....don''t buy one!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
No kidding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results