shape
carat
color
clarity

2 setting options for my antique stone, help me decide!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @redwood66 I've definitely thought about just getting a french cut band later but I would want square chunky ones and I think that will take a while to find or be prohibitively expensive. I think I would want something large enough i could wear on its own.

Do you have a picture of the ring you had with a crown head and square french cut sides? I'd love to see it. I hadn't even thought of the gap!
Here is my set with the FCs. I have since had a sapphire cut to put in this setting but still wear the FC band all the time on its own or with another band or two. I also did not like the matchy matchy of the set. My FCs are 2mm in size and newly cut stones. The whole set was done by David Klass. He is able to have larger ones cut but the price goes up exponentially.

More pics here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-cushion-omb-reset-by-david-klass.212657/

20150522_082831.jpg dscn1720.jpg

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is my set with the FCs. I have since had a sapphire cut to put in this setting but still wear the FC band all the time on its own or with another band or two. I also did not like the matchy matchy of the set. My FCs are 2mm in size and newly cut stones. The whole set was done by David Klass. He is able to have larger ones cut but the price goes up exponentially.

More pics here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-cushion-omb-reset-by-david-klass.212657/

20150522_082831.jpg dscn1720.jpg

Thats lovely! I think 2mm looks great. Maybe this is a dumb question but how would one prevent the gap between e-ring and wedding band in that kind of setting? I dont think I would love a gap either. Your ring seems very similar to what I am considering in terns of fcs, prongs, and crown-ish head so I'd love to know!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats lovely! I think 2mm looks great. Maybe this is a dumb question but how would one prevent the gap between e-ring and wedding band in that kind of setting? I dont think I would love a gap either. Your ring seems very similar to what I am considering in terns of fcs, prongs, and crown-ish head so I'd love to know!
Thank you! Unless you get a curved band rather than straight, you will have a gap with a crown head setting no matter what. You can minimize it by having a narrow base, or donut, but then you lose the crown feel. I fixed it by resetting into a solitaire but finding the right setting for me has been an expensive venture. I am currently working on the fourth, and hopefully last one.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your votes! Have been keeping tally (I should have made a poll! :D)

The designer is going to put my stone next to small omcs and french cuts so I can get a visual. I also found this Doyle and Doyle beauty which is helping me understand how the prongs/basket could relate to the band with french cuts. I will probably try it on this weekend and will be back with updates.
More soon and and thanks again.

IMG_5123.jpg
dd.jpg

Back with new pictures!

Here are some of the stone next to french cuts and next to some smaller OMCs. Thoughts?

I also went and tried on that ring with a french cut setting at Doyle & Doyle. It was a beauty and the lights in there made it so sparkly it was hard to stare at it too closely!

My stone next to french cuts and omc's
Image-24.jpg Image-20.jpg

Doyle and Doyle French Cut Setting for Reference (this center stone is around 2cts)

IMG_5149.jpg IMG_5170.jpg IMG_5156.jpg

Aaaaand a cluster ring with OMC bullets just for fun.
IMG_5164.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the OMCs in the last picture - up til then I was Team French Cut all the way. But.. in the last one with the single OMCs on either side of your centre stone, it’s the star which it should be cos it’s amazing. The frenchies somehow compete with it and are too busy.
In the earlier examples right at the start, I think the shank on the rings with the rounds was too thick so dwarfed the centre AND side stones equally. If you do go OMC sides, will it be a single one each side or a couple and how thick will the shank be?

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
French cuts for me because they look so classic (modern yet antique) yet unique. Plus that style will make your stone look even bigger with the thin band.

Then again I don’t really like 3-stone rings so maybe that’s why. Also the mini OMCs look a bit busy to me and might distract from your center stone.

I think you should pick your clear favorite.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still like the french cuts but it is a tough pick

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I actually like your stone next to the french cuts more than I thought I would. I can get behind the idea of there being a french cut on each side. When I posted previously, I thought you were going to do french cuts all the way around the band, which I am less a fan of.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox @glitterglitter @KKJohnson @jadesilver Thank you!!! I updated the other thread but I'm gonna go with the french cuts :O

I think the size of the french cut facets matches better with my stone even though I do love those little OMCs! Will come back with an update once I get the design down :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results