shape
carat
color
clarity

2 setting options for my antique stone, help me decide!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I'll keep it short! Deciding between two setting options: old cuts in bullet shapes on each side or horizontal french cuts. Boyfriend and the designer prefer old cut side stones but there's something about the french cuts that appeals to me. The head will be a 6-8 prong crown type (also pictured at the very bottom). Also attaching a picture of my stone at the bottom. Its a 2.59ct, OP and its 8.26 x 8.1mm.

What do you think? Keeping in mind the metals and stones don't match perfectly in my "renderings" below. Will my stone contrast too much with the french cuts?

Thank you :)

Old cut side stones

omc front.jpg cv omc sides.jpg omcfront.jpg

French Cut Side Stones (2-3 on each side)

front french cuts  (1).jpg cvb front french cut.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.18.27 AM.png

Crown/Head Inspiration
IMG_4962.jpg

My Stone
IMG_4225.PNG IMG_4134.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.18.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.18.38 AM.png
    845.5 KB · Views: 12

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one or the crown head.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The first one or the crown head.

Hi AprilBaby, either option would have the crown basket. Mostly just trying to decide if I want to do old mine or french cut sides.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go French cuts - very beautiful and a fabulous shape contrast. I also love how they look very silky and smooth (being rectangular) nestled in the band.
The rounds, in the photos shown, look to me rather lost and lonely in their setting - there’s more setting visible than Diamond if you get what I mean.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’d go French cuts - very beautiful and a fabulous shape contrast. I also love how they look very silky and smooth (being rectangular) nestled in the band.
The rounds, in the photos shown, look to me rather lost and lonely in their setting - there’s more setting visible than Diamond if you get what I mean.

Good point, with both settings I am worried about the "transition" area between the side stones and the crown and for some reason thing it will be better with the french cuts.. those old mine side stones in those bullet shapes are all from cluster rings. I've never seen it done with a solitaire. :confused:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If u like the French cuts go for it. I like the contrast between the sparkle pattern of the center and the frenchies. Lets your eye focus on the sparkle of the center yet keeps the sides interesting.

Go with your gut. You don’t want it made with OMCs and keep wanting frenchies every time you look at it.

Q

Queenie60

I say french cuts. Much better flow.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote for frenchies all the way! If possible try to get them in a color to match your center stone, as colorless FC's do tend to face up silvery-white, so the contrast to your center stone (if it's warm, hard to tell from the pics) might bother you otherwise...beautiful OMC/Cushion and gorgeous setting idea!

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
French cuts! :love:

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the French cuts. 1) they look amazing and 2) it's what you want.

:D

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmm. Is it just one french cut on either side, or a line of them? I ask because I do like the look of the rounds in a bullet shape. And it will probably significantly more affordable than a line of french cuts, and more practical if you have to size the ring.

I know. You didn't ask for practicality, but that's what it comes down to for me since the looks are both lovely. The round sidestones in the bullet shape gets my vote. BUT... I might want to see them with some milgrain added to the bullet.

I think you can totally do french cuts for your wedding band to wear with it. So you have the best of both worlds. Practicality and french cuts.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Is it just one french cut on either side, or a line of them? I ask because I do like the look of the rounds in a bullet shape. And it will probably significantly more affordable than a line of french cuts, and more practical if you have to size the ring.

I know. You didn't ask for practicality, but that's what it comes down to for me since the looks are both lovely. The round sidestones in the bullet shape gets my vote. BUT... I might want to see them with some milgrain added to the bullet.

I think you can totally do french cuts for your wedding band to wear with it. So you have the best of both worlds. Practicality and french cuts.
Mini threadjack: it's such a joy to see you posting again!!
I'm mostly a lurker, but I missed you.

Threadjack over

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love french cuts, I have to agree with @LaylaR on this one. And yes an FC band in a lower color as a wedding band would be fabulous. Maybe even alternating single cut rounds and FCs in the band. I probably would not put really white rounds in the shank either, but use well cut single cuts that would complement your stone. And yes to tiny added milgrain on the shoulders. But you have to love it and if you love the FCs then go for it because they are very pretty as well. I had a crown head with square FC sides and the gap it made between my e-ring and the band bugged me too much so I reset into a solitaire. Now it is too plain and I am resetting again. I have spent nearly the cost of the diamond on 4 settings for my ring so I can only advise to get what you love.

#2 is my favorite.

Hi @LaylaR!!!!!

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
The French cuts for sure! So gorgeous!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love french cuts...they just seem so dreamy to me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the french cuts. They add to the ethereal feel of the ring and just flow effortlessly if you kwim. How many french cuts are you thinking of on each side?

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the proportions of the first ring. I'd maybe add some millgrain around the bullet sides, but it's not necessary. I find the french cuts draw my eye away from that beautiful center stone and it feels a little busy in the photos. (fwiw I LOVE french cuts in general, so it's not about disliking french cuts and more about how it all fits together).

However, if you have a gut feeling that you want french cuts, and every time someone agrees with you, you feel peace, and every time someone disagrees with you, you feel doubt and anxiety, then be sure to give weight to your gut.

I love the idea of having a french cut band for your wedding band, giving the center stone a chance to breathe and dance with the metal, and then also giving you that bling all the way around the finger...

And not that this should really be a deciding factor, but sizing (for you or someone you pass the ring down to) will be much easier with the first ring...

I will say that if you go with french cuts, I actually really enjoyed the first photo listed. The platinum felt less busy to me, because the metal allows the stones to shine. With Yellow or Rose Gold, and the center stone, and the french cuts, my eye jumps around and doesn't know what to focus on. Again, this is just how it looks in photos, and the effect in person might be completely different.

Good luck! Pay attention to your gut and allow our opinions to guide you home to having confidence in your own desires!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the old cuts in the bullet shape... and pairing that ring with a band that has french cuts.

Having the frenchies in the ring itself is pretty, but my eye keeps bouncing back and forth between them and the center. The bulleted version enhances the center without taking my eye away from it. Having the frenchies in the band completes the whole look.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mini threadjack: it's such a joy to see you posting again!!
I'm mostly a lurker, but I missed you.

Threadjack over

Hi Kipari, Thank you for the warm welcome back! I've missed being here as well. Don't be a stranger!

Hi back Redwood!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm traditional and I like this one:
cv omc sides.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
French cuts.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If u like the French cuts go for it. I like the contrast between the sparkle pattern of the center and the frenchies. Lets your eye focus on the sparkle of the center yet keeps the sides interesting.

Go with your gut. You don’t want it made with OMCs and keep wanting frenchies every time you look at it.

I think the contrast could be nice for sure. I think the OMCs could be a good choice but I think I would rather regret not getting the french cuts..

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I vote for frenchies all the way! If possible try to get them in a color to match your center stone, as colorless FC's do tend to face up silvery-white, so the contrast to your center stone (if it's warm, hard to tell from the pics) might bother you otherwise...beautiful OMC/Cushion and gorgeous setting idea!

Hi Erica, thank you for weighing in! You're right I think the color match is super important! My stone is definitely warm and I think to really pull this off the side stones will have to match. I did notice that french cuts have a silvery mirror look so I wonder if they should be extra warm to visibly match my center stone :/

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Hi @LaylaR If I go french cuts I plan to do 2-3 on each side. I think with the spread of the stone and the width of my finger that will look eternity-ish from above. I don't want them to go all the way around because of the sizing issue you mentioned and because I know I would be nervous about banging the underside of the ring on something. The french cuts are going to cost about 30% more than the other setting, so you're right more expensive for sure but cheaper then getting a french cut band in the future I think..I wish french cuts weren't so expensive. Practicality is important at the end of the day so thank you for bringing up these points.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As much as I love french cuts, I have to agree with @LaylaR on this one. And yes an FC band in a lower color as a wedding band would be fabulous. Maybe even alternating single cut rounds and FCs in the band. I probably would not put really white rounds in the shank either, but use well cut single cuts that would complement your stone. And yes to tiny added milgrain on the shoulders. But you have to love it and if you love the FCs then go for it because they are very pretty as well. I had a crown head with square FC sides and the gap it made between my e-ring and the band bugged me too much so I reset into a solitaire. Now it is too plain and I am resetting again. I have spent nearly the cost of the diamond on 4 settings for my ring so I can only advise to get what you love.

#2 is my favorite.

Hi @LaylaR!!!!!

Hi @redwood66 I've definitely thought about just getting a french cut band later but I would want square chunky ones and I think that will take a while to find or be prohibitively expensive. I think I would want something large enough i could wear on its own.

Do you have a picture of the ring you had with a crown head and square french cut sides? I'd love to see it. I hadn't even thought of the gap!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I prefer the french cuts. They add to the ethereal feel of the ring and just flow effortlessly if you kwim. How many french cuts are you thinking of on each side?

I think 2-3 on each side. The first french cut image I posed above only has 3 on each side but it looks eternity-ish because of the width of the ring.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the proportions of the first ring. I'd maybe add some millgrain around the bullet sides, but it's not necessary. I find the french cuts draw my eye away from that beautiful center stone and it feels a little busy in the photos. (fwiw I LOVE french cuts in general, so it's not about disliking french cuts and more about how it all fits together).

However, if you have a gut feeling that you want french cuts, and every time someone agrees with you, you feel peace, and every time someone disagrees with you, you feel doubt and anxiety, then be sure to give weight to your gut.

I love the idea of having a french cut band for your wedding band, giving the center stone a chance to breathe and dance with the metal, and then also giving you that bling all the way around the finger...

And not that this should really be a deciding factor, but sizing (for you or someone you pass the ring down to) will be much easier with the first ring...

I will say that if you go with french cuts, I actually really enjoyed the first photo listed. The platinum felt less busy to me, because the metal allows the stones to shine. With Yellow or Rose Gold, and the center stone, and the french cuts, my eye jumps around and doesn't know what to focus on. Again, this is just how it looks in photos, and the effect in person might be completely different.

Good luck! Pay attention to your gut and allow our opinions to guide you home to having confidence in your own desires!

I like the old cuts in the bullet shape... and pairing that ring with a band that has french cuts.

Having the frenchies in the ring itself is pretty, but my eye keeps bouncing back and forth between them and the center. The bulleted version enhances the center without taking my eye away from it. Having the frenchies in the band completes the whole look.

I think I'll feel doubt and anxiety no matter what! I usually feel that way until I've made a decision and move forward and work on advancing any project. I do feel like "I win" every time someone says french cuts so I think maybe that's the right direction from me. The stones wouldn't go all the way around so sizing won't be too much of an issue.

As for getting a french cut band later on--very weirdly I don't love channel set french cuts in eternity bands or on their own :/ I'd want square french cuts in bezels, kind of like this. I think it will be a whole other (expensive) project to find them and have the ring made. But worth it for a substantial ring that can be worn on its own. I hope gemfever on instagram doesn't mind me posting this!

b83f07421b9eadcd53eb3553eacdcc23.jpg

As for which of the french cut settings to use I agree the first one is best. The metal color and metal to stone ratio is good. That color is advertised as rose gold but it must be very very light rose gold (i suppose that would be a low karat?)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your votes! Have been keeping tally (I should have made a poll! :D)

The designer is going to put my stone next to small omcs and french cuts so I can get a visual. I also found this Doyle and Doyle beauty which is helping me understand how the prongs/basket could relate to the band with french cuts. I will probably try it on this weekend and will be back with updates.
More soon and and thanks again.

IMG_5123.jpg
dd.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results