shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Carat Showdown: Opulence Oval vs AVC vs AVR - With Pictures!

Which diamond would you choose?

• Opulence Oval

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • AVC

Votes: 68 62.4%
  • Neither- Keep Looking!

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like this last suggestion best of all the settings presented in this thread. Personally, I do prefer a solitaire because it showcases the diamond best imho and can be combined with many different bands. When I looked at settings for my cushion I also looked at many similair settings as you are doing now but after hemming and hawing for almost a year ended up with a plain solitaire. This is completely personal though! But I would rather have one of these more busy (and absolutely gorgeous) settings as a rhr than as er. Just my honest opinion.
I think it is easy to forget that just because this is an old style cut doesnt mean you must have an old style type of setting...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever seen Leighton Meester‘s e ring?
It’s a soli but it has a little diamond cuff at the base of the shank where it meets the head. I love love it
1CF59E67-7C06-4B62-9D9D-7C9BFA79DE6A.jpeg

Of those posted for your AVC, this is my favorite setting. It gives the impression of a solitaire, so the center is the star, no question about that... BUT the smaller diamonds on the sides give a twist (and added sparkle), making it more interesting and unique.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this last suggestion best of all the settings presented in this thread. Personally, I do prefer a solitaire because it showcases the diamond best imho and can be combined with many different bands. When I looked at settings for my cushion I also looked at many similair settings as you are doing now but after hemming and hawing for almost a year ended up with a plain solitaire. This is completely personal though! But I would rather have one of these more busy (and absolutely gorgeous) settings as a rhr than as er. Just my honest opinion.
I think it is easy to forget that just because this is an old style cut doesnt mean you must have an old style type of setting...

Agree especially with bolded sentence above!

So many solitaire designs are timeless and classic, and pair well with more elaborate diamond bands. Maybe if you are truly unsure which way to go, have it set in a reasonably priced soli?

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Caysie has some gorgeous solitaires. Since this will be your e-ring, I have no problem with that idea. But you need to decide what you love!

Sage advice @diamondseeker2006! I need to maybe reach out to Caysie again with these ideas. I just don't want to keep bugging her with my indecisiveness. I keep mentioning possibilities to her, discussing them extensively over text and then changing my mind. I go back to the Sienna every once in a while as a less headache inducing alternative.

@Niel Another great inspiration ring! It's beautiful! I wonder what a rose gold bezel would do to a stone that is not gigantic like Leighton's ring (mine is about 8mm x 7.6mm) and J color. Would it appear kind of smaller and warmer than it would appear in a white metal prong setting? I feel like the rose gold really makes this ring that much more unique and charming, but will it make my stone seem less bright? Not sure if a 2 tone version (platinum head, RG shank) would work with a bezel setting. Would the same concept in platinum be as charming? I love having this forum to obsess over all of these details. It saves me from driving the people in my life crazy!!

@acaw2015 - I see that you also have a J color cushion--love your ring!
@msop04 -My original e-ring was pretty unique, I never saw another setting like it in real life, and I would like something that has a similar effect this time. I just want a simple setting that's a little bit different. I agree that the cuffs give that last ring a sparkly twist.

@marymm - I think a reasonably priced solitaire with a twist is probably the smartest option right now. I considered setting it in a cheap temporary setting for now and then figuring something else later, but all of the options that I have found (like Stuller) are over 500.00, which seems like a lot to spend for a setting that will likely not last more than a year.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn’t saying to do rose gold that would be equally pretty in all platinum. It reminds me of a VRAM soli I’m utterly obsessed with and is lovely in platinum
3F796494-F34D-4E6D-873A-8B99D9FFE173.jpeg 5C985F66-0332-4883-AD1C-E097096F86A9.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the very small side stones on a plain band really help the centre stone pop without being a plain solitaire. The triwire shank on Leighton’s ring with the tight bezel is such an antique look while also being sleek.
I love this ring as an example of how small sides will help accentuate a centre stone without detracting from it - small OECs would make for a very complementary sparkle with your lovely chunky AVC.
9EC10F21-3204-43C7-B841-487A5AE3368C.jpeg

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the very small side stones on a plain band really help the centre stone pop without being a plain solitaire. The triwire shank on Leighton’s ring with the tight bezel is such an antique look while also being sleek.
I love this ring as an example of how small sides will help accentuate a centre stone without detracting from it - small OECs would make for a very complementary sparkle with your lovely chunky AVC.

@foxinsox I like that idea. I thought that rounds wouldn't look good with a cushion, but I think that Meghan Markle's ring shows that it can work (though I would do it with OECs). I prefer the proportions of the one that you posted though-- the rounds are small enough to look more like accents than a traditional three stone. Does anyone know what size rounds in mm I would need in order to have the same effect with my cushion?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox I like that idea. I thought that rounds wouldn't look good with a cushion, but I think that Meghan Markle's ring shows that it can work (though I would do it with OECs). I prefer the proportions of the one that you posted though-- the rounds are small enough to look more like accents than a traditional three stone. Does anyone know what size rounds in mm I would need in order to have the same effect with my cushion?

Maybe 2.5 mm?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve definitely considered this setting before. It would look gorgeous with two little OECs on the side. It’s utterly charming.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore this ring and it came up for sale on Loupetroop. I was too slow considering it though and it got bought. I don't think this is the listing* but it's either the same setting or a very similar one - it might help you to work out the proportions?
*I remember it as a different seller but I might be wrong.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore this ring and it came up for sale on Loupetroop. I was too slow considering it though and it got bought. I don't think this is the listing* but it's either the same setting or a very similar one - it might help you to work out the proportions?

That's the EXACT ring. :)

The OEC moissy is 8 mm, so I'm thinking the sides may be about 2.5 mm...

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Omg this is so useful! Thank you @foxinsox !! I was thinking 3.75mm sides (which is probably closer to the proportions of the Megan Markle ring) but maybe they need to be smaller.

I’m going to try on a few bezel settings (since I still like the Leighton ring as well) and settings with accent stones this week to try to finalize things. Any suggestions on places in NYC that might have similar settings?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg this is so useful! Thank you @foxinsox !! I was thinking 3.75mm sides (which is probably closer to the proportions of the Megan Markle ring) but maybe they need to be smaller.

I’m going to try on a few bezel settings (since I still like the Leighton ring as well) and settings with accent stones this week to try to finalize things. Any suggestions on places in NYC that might have similar settings?
The listing guesses the side stones at .15ct each - not sure what mm that correlates to?
Have fun trying on rings! You could try Old World Diamonds or IDJ as they seem to be super nice and accommodating. Not sure what they’re like for just settings tho.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband just looked at all of my ideas for the ring and he said that the solitaires seemed like a better bet--he really liked the Sienna. :wall::wall: He wasn't sure if it was worth it to increase the budget for a three stone with small OEC sides, or for the Giselle, given that the Sienna was so pretty and that so many three stones looked "off" to him. He might be right. A delicate solitaire would look lovely and be a safer bet.

Ugh. this is way too difficult. I give up!
Hey @prbaglady here's a few quick snaps of my new rose gold Sienna and Sophia set. They literally just came!!! I'm over the moon with this set!
0213180958.jpg 0213181003.jpg
0213181010b.jpg
0213180944a.jpg
0213181001a.jpg 0213181010d.jpg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet IT LOOKS GREAT!!!! It's a beautiful setting for a round. What are the dimensions of your stone?
Asking Jon coz I haven't gotten my cert yet. It is a 1.72 ct. J color like yours. Your AVR would look awesome in this ring.

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@prbaglady If I can jump in late to the game. So I have been exactly where you are now.
contemplating a setting for an AVC where budget was a concern... I really really love either the Leighton setting.. or the one that @foxinsox posted just a bit ago (the mini Markle). I will tell you I am not a fan of Meghan Markle's setting.. I feel purely aesthetically that the sides stones (which I know where Princess Diana's) are too big next to the center. BUT I LOVE the ratio of what foxinsox posted.. but I may love more the dainty sides accentuating the Leighton setting.. I myself would probably like the leighton setting if the AVC where prong set with those cuffs.. but either would be beautiful. I don't tend to lean towards bezels for some reason. I like diamonds that look more "floaty".
I had two french cuts quoted for my AVC 1.76.. because I kept going to the giselle picture myself but I have to say they were really expensive so I ditched that quick..

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Maggiemeans I love your setting and I briefly considered a 5 stone setting very similar to yours. It's stunning!

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Today I tried on a bunch of vintage settings and actually found a few that correlated with my inspiration rings.

There was this blingtastic honker that was to die for, with an almost 3 carat OMC H color center. It made me think that a cushion bezel would be amazing— and I can imagine the bezeled center stone looking similar to this, with the dainty cuffs on the side (like leighton’s ring). I can also imagine a three stone setup exactly like this one but with much smaller sides...
39FF96D6-47AE-4A2E-AF3B-513D74F85C44.jpeg
The side view is really cool as well:
A721DF65-C049-470A-B476-CFB9D6A78727.jpeg
This one was an Eduardian setting with a very thin and delicate bezel and I loved the bezel!! But would this look good with a cushion?
6E1338D9-21F8-4CA4-A17E-2E1D1C100A9D.jpeg
Here is that one ring that I initially liked in the flesh! In person it’s actually really delicate and it was initially my favorite ring of the bunch, but I just don’t think it would work as well with a cushion.
3550A08F-ACF2-4E34-9F4C-91C1552C817C.jpeg

And here they are all together:
E59B590A-C82B-4849-BD3B-FBE46D5D0379.jpeg
I realize that it’s so much easier to find an appropriate setting for a round. I also realized that bezels are awesome.

Attachments

• 89E1D95A-E1DF-44CA-8F33-2BEF26B70842.jpeg
    89E1D95A-E1DF-44CA-8F33-2BEF26B70842.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 17
  • F8BD1FB8-46D7-4CD3-8533-608F5E4A6054.jpeg
    F8BD1FB8-46D7-4CD3-8533-608F5E4A6054.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 19
  • C40DC9B4-B1DE-486A-A034-9FB47AF7C770.jpeg
    C40DC9B4-B1DE-486A-A034-9FB47AF7C770.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 17

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is that one ring that I initially liked in the flesh! In person it’s actually really delicate and it was initially my favorite ring of the bunch, but I just don’t think it would work as well with a cushion.
Oohh, I disagree! I think this would work very well with a cushion!!!
Where did you go to try on all those cool rings?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I tried on a bunch of vintage settings and actually found a few that correlated with my inspiration rings.

There was this blingtastic honker that was to die for, with an almost 3 carat OMC H color center. It made me think that a cushion bezel would be amazing— and I can imagine the bezeled center stone looking similar to this, with the dainty cuffs on the side (like leighton’s ring). I can also imagine a three stone setup exactly like this one but with much smaller sides...
39FF96D6-47AE-4A2E-AF3B-513D74F85C44.jpeg
The side view is really cool as well:
A721DF65-C049-470A-B476-CFB9D6A78727.jpeg
This one was an Eduardian setting with a very thin and delicate bezel and I loved the bezel!! But would this look good with a cushion?
6E1338D9-21F8-4CA4-A17E-2E1D1C100A9D.jpeg

And here they are all together:
E59B590A-C82B-4849-BD3B-FBE46D5D0379.jpeg
I realize that it’s so much easier to find an appropriate setting for a round. I also realized that bezels are awesome.

THUD! All out of this world GORGEOUS.:love::love::love:

You take amazing photos @prbaglady and thank you for sharing them with us!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is victor barebone, no?

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
okay so I am glad you are "familiar" with me.. as as you can imagine I have invested ahem,,, years into obsessing about a cushion setting..and have looked and analyzed it all.

I still like the Leighton idea, the 3 stone Mini Markle and I like Eduardian, the top one on your ring finger and wish there were more pics of that one. Was the Giselle out of the picture?

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@missy I thought that people here might enjoy looking at these. Though, it didn't help me narrow things down. I like too many different things!

@Starfacet and @Niel -- This was at Victor Barbonne- I was really impressed with her well curated collection.

@Maggiemeans I still like all those three as well :love:. As requested, here are more photos of the ring you mentioned. This one really grew on me the more I wore it! It reminded me of the CVB Angela, but with a thinner bezel: https://www.etsy.com/listing/274525764/the-cvb-angela-bezel-solitaire
IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1965.jpg IMG_2058.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results