shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Carat Round Excellent Cut G, VSI: 4 prong or 6 prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help with choosing the stone. What looks best for a stone that size and specs. It''ll be set in a classic simple platinum setting - 4 or 6 prongs?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is purely a preference - some think 6 prongs are more secure and make the diamond look rounder, others prefer 4 as they feel they can see more diamond, whatever you think is best! Have a look through the eye candy thread to see lots of examples of both! I would go for 6 prongs in a diamond that large personally, also to protect it better I feel, but the choice is yours.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think more prongs make the diamond more secure and there is less exposed girdle to chip on things.
Some people feel that 4 prongs make a round diamond look squarer.
Some prefer 4 since there is less metal in the way and they like a cleaner look, and they plan to insure the stone anyway.

But what looks better?
It depends on who's looking, and what their opinion is.

My opinion is that safety is more important than looks, and you must not have strong feelings either way otherwise you’d not be asking this, so I'd go with 6 prongs.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
on a 2carat stone, i like 6prongs

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Here is a Leon Megé 4 prongs setting that I absolutely LOVE shown with a 2ct round
30.gif

r369-07W.jpg

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
...and here is the side view...Breathtaking !!

r369-08W.jpg

wistletown

Rough_Rock
That''s beautiful!!

Where can I find that setting???

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 10:48:23 AM
Author: wistletown
That''s beautiful!!

Where can I find that setting???

Wistletown, it is a Leon Megé, an artist that custom makes platinum jewellry. His site is www.artofplatinum.com. The ring is in the section "solitaire" of his catalogue.

You will see wonderful pieces there...no doubt you can find a good match for your beautiful stone
1.gif

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Are their prices generally high? I dont see any prices.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:55:30 AM
Author: wistletown
Are their prices generally high? I dont see any prices.
I didn''t order yet a setting from them but according to many people around here, he is quite competitive according to the detail and craftmanship he gives o his designs.

The price depends mostly on how much time it takes (very intricate design for example) and of course, if the setting includes diamonds, this will add up to the price. If it is micropavé I think it is even costlier than regular pavé since the work is considerably more important and also the melée is becoming more and more expensive these days...

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A diamond as big as a 2Ct will look gorgeous in both 4 and 6 prong settings.

A quick summary:

4 prong:
Pros - highlights the diamond with less of it covered by metal. You see more ''stone''.
Also potentially (depending on the setting and both rings) less likely to have a prong rub against the w-ring leading to tear.
Cons - not as secure as a 6 prong and the uncovered side vulnerable to chipping.

Example - Cartier 1895 solitaire setting.

6 prong:
Also one of the most common settings and is more secure. The prongs may also help protect the side of the diamond from chips / damage due to accidental knocks/drops.

The prongs may occasionally rub against the w-ring depending on the set. Some wedding sets are designed not to rub so it really depends on whether the rings match or not. Even 4 prong rings may have a problem here.

Example - Classic Tiffany setting.

It''s a matter of personal preference really ... have a look at pictures of both the 4 and 6 prong available. Flick through brochures. Also head to some b&m stores to try some examples and see what you think looks best on you.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a 2 ct I vote 6 prongs.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
For stones under 1.5 carats I like a four prong because it''s more delicate. However, for a larger stone I like the 6 prongs for security and it can handle more prongs without looking like too much metal. One thing I would keep in mind is that with larger stones I personally like them set very low. Otherwise they stick out really high and you end up knocking them on everything...just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results