shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 2 Carat Natural Green Diamond Ring

mewing

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking around this forum for nearly 10 years. And each time I am about to purchase a gemstone or decide on a setting (e.g. will a bezel setting deepen the colour of my sapphire?), I would immediately log on here to check out what all of you had to say. Your knowledge and experiences have helped me navigate a potentially perilous world of coloured gemstones.

Anyway, when I was about to purchase a green diamond, I logged on here to try learn as much as possible. Perhaps because consumers aren't that well acquainted with green diamonds, I wasn't able to find as much information as I'd like to. As such, when I was purchasing my diamond from an online vendor in Asia I was really freaking out because I had no idea what to expect.

My ring arrived today and I thought I would take a few photographs of it, and I hope my post would add to the overall knowledge accumulated in this forum.

Key Attributes of Green Diamond
  • Carat Weight: 2.03
  • Measurements: 7.23 x 6.36 x 4.65mm
  • Clarity: VS2
  • Certification: GIA, Certified Natural
  • Colour: Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green
  • Colour Distribution: Even
  • Fluorescence: None
My diamond isn't considered a top notch green, but I got it at an extremely good price which I would prefer not to disclose, least I upset the parties involved.

IMG_4721.JPG IMG_4867.jpg IMG_4868.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty color...can you post a copy of the cert?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His details say GIA @oldminer

It does look like a GIA report background in one of the pics!

Looks amazing, though - IIRC most fancy colours are cut to retain weight and depth/intensity of colour, but this also has a lovely cut! :love:

mewing

Rough_Rock
What lab provided the gemological report you relied upon? The diamond is very unusual and a pretty color, for sure.

It's GIA.

But I'm very curious about something and I wonder if experts here could chime in. This is the first time in my life that I've ever bought a diamond, and boy was fancy coloured diamonds a huge science in itself. There were vendors who colour enhanced their pictures, even videos appeared unreliable.

So here's my question. Do different coloured diamonds that receive the exact colour grading from GIA appear different in real life? My fancy greyish yellowish green diamond looked quite different from some of the other (exact same GIA grading) green diamonds found on other websites.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's GIA.

But I'm very curious about something and I wonder if experts here could chime in. This is the first time in my life that I've ever bought a diamond, and boy was fancy coloured diamonds a huge science in itself. There were vendors who colour enhanced their pictures, even videos appeared unreliable.

So here's my question. Do different coloured diamonds that receive the exact colour grading from GIA appear different in real life? My fancy greyish yellowish green diamond looked quite different from some of the other (exact same GIA grading) green diamonds found on other websites.

As @Karl_K has said (IIRC!) the 5 things that most impact diamond colour (fancy or otherwise) are:

Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Cut

:lol:

Do you have a macro lens on your phone / camera?

It would be cool if you could get a picture of the 'indented natural' on the stone - IIRC cutters always leave a 'skin' from the outside of the original piece of rough, so GIA etc. can confirm it was a natural rough in that colour and was not treated, which is cool :)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure why you don’t think this is top notch, it’s unmistakably green but the main color grade is grey then yellow so you got a great deal with this turning out green! I’m sure the price was fabulous because of this, beautiful stone

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure why you don’t think this is top notch, it’s unmistakably green but the main color grade is grey then yellow so you got a great deal with this turning out green! I’m sure the price was fabulous because of this, beautiful stone

I always thought the grading was the other way with fancy colours - that the ‘ish’ colours at the start were modifiers of the last (predominant) stated colour? So this stone should be expected to be a slightly grey/yellow but fundamentally green stone.

It’s certainly green, OP, and looks great in the yellow setting!

mewing

Rough_Rock
As @Karl_K has said (IIRC!) the 5 things that most impact diamond colour (fancy or otherwise) are:

Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Cut

:lol:

Do you have a macro lens on your phone / camera?

It would be cool if you could get a picture of the 'indented natural' on the stone - IIRC cutters always leave a 'skin' from the outside of the original piece of rough, so GIA etc. can confirm it was a natural rough in that colour and was not treated, which is cool :)

If by skin you mean this tiny ugly brown patch at the corner of the gem under a jeweller's loupe, then yes i see it :razz: And yes, I bought a loupe to make sure I see the GIA inscription, haha!

Unfortunately, I do not have a macro lens on my phone :(

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Do different coloured diamonds that receive the exact colour grading from GIA appear different in real life?

Indeed. By much. Even if the color is described by one word only [eg. 'fancy green'], let alone more.

I remember that at least one expert specialized in collecting technically precise color specifications for fancy diamonds, to compare against [Stephen Hofer - I have no idea what became of this pursuit of his]

2c

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. I love the green color

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring, I love the color! Enjoy!

mewing

Rough_Rock
Indeed. By much. Even if the color is described by one word only [eg. 'fancy green'], let alone more.

I remember that at least one expert specialized in collecting technically precise color specifications for fancy diamonds, to compare against [Stephen Hofer - I have no idea what became of this pursuit of his]

2c

Thanks! That was very informative. I was super naive when I was on the prowl for a coloured diamond. I assumed (a) I could simply buy a diamond just by looking at the certificate and (b) any diamond that's given the same colour grading would look roughly. With a bit of luck and lots of knowledge by the users here I managed to dodge the bullet.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I've been lurking around this forum for nearly 10 years. And each time I am about to purchase a gemstone or decide on a setting (e.g. will a bezel setting deepen the colour of my sapphire?), I would immediately log on here to check out what all of you had to say. Your knowledge and experiences have helped me navigate a potentially perilous world of coloured gemstones.

Anyway, when I was about to purchase a green diamond, I logged on here to try learn as much as possible. Perhaps because consumers aren't that well acquainted with green diamonds, I wasn't able to find as much information as I'd like to. As such, when I was purchasing my diamond from an online vendor in Asia I was really freaking out because I had no idea what to expect.

My ring arrived today and I thought I would take a few photographs of it, and I hope my post would add to the overall knowledge accumulated in this forum.

Key Attributes of Green Diamond
  • Carat Weight: 2.03
  • Measurements: 7.23 x 6.36 x 4.65mm
  • Clarity: VS2
  • Certification: GIA, Certified Natural
  • Colour: Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green
  • Colour Distribution: Even
  • Fluorescence: None
My diamond isn't considered a top notch green, but I got it at an extremely good price which I would prefer not to disclose, least I upset the parties involved.

IMG_4721.JPG IMG_4867.jpg IMG_4868.jpg

I love green diamonds, and yours is spectacular. I love the setting!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Stunning diamond and ring, well done!!!!
each grade of colour has its own range, and therefore pricing.

The is amazing, colour is beautiful and in yellow gold, 3 stone ring!! Wow, wow, wow!!!

enjoy!!!!

from a very much smaller 0.09ct green diamond owner: FIBl-Gr

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
The setting really enhances an already beautiful diamond. Congratulations.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never seen a good size green diamond, its spectacular!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone in a pleasant green! Who mastered the ring? If you can disclose, of course.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
I love it! The color is fabulous and I like how you set it. Fabulous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results