shape
carat
color
clarity

2.8 N VS2 AVC need help on my custom setting

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
and finally,

3. closer to the original design idea that resembles a flour-de-lis....I know I stated I wasn't a big fan, but I am starting to think I may have been overthinking the whole thing...too much time and too much control over the small detail tends to do that I believe. I do like either this or # 2 overall.

Ok....What do you guys think???

_22006.jpg

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
ok Im not real sure why that last pic is coming out sideways, but you get the idea...

Last picture...I wanted you to see the wedding band that is my moms....Plat.with 9 little diamonds channel set. I am really soo excited to have a piece of my parents original symbol of commitment!! I LOVE this old band! :love: It used to have 10 but she had work done on it years ago and one was damaged and the jeweler at the time just didn't replace it!! Can you believe it? Anyways, you can't tell, but it bugs mom now...no clue why she didn't insist on replacement at the time. Just too sweet for her own good I suppose!

Ok, Im done now!

Thank you so much again,

cj

img_6461.jpeg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
It's looking great!! I love the idea of adding a couple of your Mother's diamonds!!! How special! Huge fan of diamonds in the gallery!! I can't really tell by your pics which is what option? Can you number them? I like the pear/ teardrop idea best... I'm just not personally a huge fan of heart designs in the gallery, but that is strictly my opinion. I'm sure whatever you choose will look amazing!!! Curious, is there going to be miligrain on the shank to match the halo? I'm sorry if I missed, I would just worry about overall cohesiveness.

I've been following. This thread closely since I plan to add either rose gold and pink diamonds or yellow gold and yellow diamonds... Oh, and I have double claw prongs in my current setting and lobe the look, I will likely add to my new design...wasn't sure why prong set you had decided on?

Thank you for including us on your journey!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so special to be able to incorporate two of your mother's wedding set diamonds :appl:
It will give your ring an even stronger personalized feel.

The 3 designs for the gallery are all stunning so now it comes to personal taste and not adding too much. I personally love number 2 where you will remove the tiny top pear and add one of the diamonds in the big dawn drop. I am not a huge fan of hearts.

Happy waiting :wavey:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
ok TruLuv858...Maybe this will help! :)

_22013.jpg

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
TruLuv858... So...hopefully this helps explain what I was meaning. Please excuse the terrible pics...I have erased so many times the paper is starting to look grey! Anyways...I am leaning more towards # 2 but it that wont work, I like #3 better than #1. I'm just not a huge fan of the heart look either. I've seen it on other rings and its beautiful, it just doesn't suit my style really. So, as far as the milgrain, YES, I am having the milgrain on the shank as well. That is really on of the reasons I thought to add it to the halo. And since we don't have to add any extra metal, it will just decorate the existing smooth metal that will be on the edge anyhow. I am also adding engraving on the shank sides.(Though I am still torn between half-wheat and scroll/curl)
I have decided to go with the single claw prongs! I just love the look as well! Im sure you will be happy with that choice on your current project since you love them so much anyways!! Rose gold and pink diamonds would be fabulous!! I really wanted to use rose gold as well, but once I put my diamond up with it, it just didn't look near as beautiful as with the yellow gold. So, if you go with the yellow gold and diamonds, Im sure it will be stunning as well!! Ill be sure to keep track of your progress!! I love the two tone combos! Good luck making your decisions...its so hard! :think:

Acinom... Thank for your vote! I guess we are in agreement for the design. I just think its a bit different and still open enough to see my beautiful diamond though it as well!

Im glad you both like the idea of my moms diamonds....I too am thrilled with the idea and think it will really make it that much more special! Hopefully I will hear back from her today as to which design will work so we can get on to the the max model stage of all this.
I am so excited that we have made it to this point and am just ready to be done making decisions! Hopefully we can get this settled today!
:pray:

Okay...Ill keep you all posted!
cj

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I very much love fleur-de-lis in ring galleries! They just fit well and are such a beautiful design, so I hope you go in that direction!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I am all about numbers 2 and 3 with 2 being my fave, if possible... Choosing the gallery design is really hard!! I'm stressed for you!! Lol! :pray: I have yet to find my perfect gallery design...how long after you decide will it take to complete?

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
ok Diamondseeker2006... I am coming around to the fleur-de-lis as well! It really is a beautiful design. I do really like options 2 & 3 so we will see what the designer says about which will fit the best! Thanks so much for the input! I am seriously so ready to be done with all the decisions!

TruLuv858...Thanks for your vote as well... =)
As far as completion time... she said about 6-8 weeks from start to finish but I have been going back and forth with the details for about a month now. So I would imagine about 3-4 weeks once we decide on this filigree design. Now hopefully she will get back with me tomorrow and I can approve the design so they can start working on the wax model. It really depends on me after that.. if I approve the wax, they will start making the ring and I think its anywhere from 1-12 days at that point. The thing is that I will want the wax mailed to me to view rather than just look at it on the design page. So.....as soon as I hear back from her I will let y'all know!

thanks for the additional opinions!
cj

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, you are going to have one GORGEOUS ring! I can't wait to see it finished :love: I have to say I like the fleur-de-lis the best :)

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much Candygrl...I think its going to be wonderful and hopefully it comes out just like Im imagining it! No news again today, so hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. :pray: Ill keep you guys up to date as always! Thanks for your vote! At this point I like both 2 & 3 so if one fits, I am going with it! If both fit....well, Im giving myself the day to figure it out. :) My husband likes #3, and the vote is split here as well, so maybe I'll choose that since I can't seem to decide on my own!! Ill let ya know!

cj

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so a quick update....

My designer got back with me today and says they will adjust the CAD's yet again, to make sure the halo is set just under and inside the girdle. I don't want an airline or metal line between the main diamond and halo and on this latest CAD it looks like Im going to have a little bit of that. Also, the filigree for #2 and #3 will not fit completely the way I have it drawn, soooo.....it has to be modified a bit. Basically there is not room for it to be as open as I have it. It will be a smaller space, so the design is a bit more cramped. So, I just told her to see which would fit the best to make it look as much like the drawings as possible. If one fits better than the other then she is just going to go with that one.

So, hopefully the next CAD will be exactly what I want! Also, I asked what the thickness/height of the bands will be (from top to bottom) and she says she will have to confirm it but she believes around 2mm. Does that sound ok, or is that a bit too thick?

Okay, so my designer is changing her days off so she will not be back in the shop until Friday, so I guess I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the next CAD's on Friday so we can move on! I am soooo tired of waiting!! But....what else am I going to do? :|

I'll let you all know as soon as I hear something! Thanks to all who are joining in on this with me!! I really hope it will be beautiful and that you will all love it.....and most importantly, exactly what I have dreamed of!!!

cj

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE**

So my designer got back with me today with the latest CAD renderings and also with a concern.... :-o She was able to fit one of the filigree designs with all the elements I wanted so......#3 it is!! It actually looks beautiful and I am happy with it!

The problem is with the melee size on the halo! She is concerned that the 1mm size is just too small for the size of my diamond with the 30 degree tilt of my halo! So, she is recommending the 1.3mm size instead. I do see what she is saying and it does look a bit smaller than the second CAD she sent with the 1mm halo. I am torn....I want a dainty halo but I don't want it to look too small and odd! Can any of you give me some advise? Should I just trust her judgment on this one? Or should I request another CAD to see and compare? Do you guys think I should do the 1.3mm or maybe 1.2mm? Thank you so much for all your help and advise!!

I really appreciate everything and cant wait to hear some feedback!

cj

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I love the smaller halo, it reminds me of Tacori Dantela with the super fine halo which I love love. :lickout:

tacori-2620rdp.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, this is the 1mm halo? To me it looks dainty. Not too big or too small...

The filigree design came out lovely!!

_22368.jpg

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Diamondbug...Thank you so much for the feedback! I think it is beautiful as well. I do love that ring you posted! I was wanting a "tad" bigger halo than that, but not much! =)

Acinom...Yes that is with the 1mm melee on this halo. I guess my only concern is when I zoom in on the photo, it looks like the melee are very small and barely cover the metal on the halo. I guess I am wondering if the larger diamond will cover more space, (as long as it wont just require more metal to hold the larger melee) and give more of a diamond look that a metal look. Does that make sense? Basically, I love the halo size, just maybe not the melee size...

Either way Im thinking another CAD is in my future.. :???: I keep worrying that I will go too small and regret it. The main reason I am going with the halo is to have that color contrast with my main diamond so I am thinking maybe I should go with a tad bigger melee to achieve that look I want?!?!

Honestly, I am feeling like a crazy person with all this going back and forth right now! Thank you both for your input and It makes me feel better to have someone else like it if I do go with the 1mm. Maybe some others will chime in as well! I just want to get this right! The designer is saying that with my angle it makes them less noticeable as well.....I don't know! :doh:

More help is welcome...Please!

cj

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you like the size halo, I would ask her if you can get bigger melee while keeping the width of the halo the same and that the look you want is less metal showing.You want to be sure they can execute it without going bigger/more metal halo. Or do you want the smaller 1mm melee with less metal? I really do like the look with the 1mm melee. Maybe ask if they can have less metal instead?

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE***

First off,...Diamondbug..thanks so much for your suggestions regarding the halo/melee size. Those are exactly the questions I asked! And thanks for your opinion as well! =)

So, I basically told her that the first version of the 1mm halo is what I liked and that this current one did look a bit smaller and seemed to show more metal. I wasn't sure if it was due to the milgrain being added or what, but it did look different. Basically, here is what she said.

" The CAD modeler did make some modifications to the halo, which as you pointed out, are noticeable in the CAD renderings from post #97 and post #107. The halo has been tucked under the diamond so that it hugs the culet more and the prongs angled slightly to allow the stone to sit up higher.

Having the 1.3mm diamonds on the halo will make the halo slightly wider from the top down, but as you can see from the CAD renderings, it still looks quite dainty. I gave the CAD modeler the approximate widths that you specified you wanted for the halo. I am currently headed out for my weekend, but I will confirm the current width of the halo when I get back from my weekend.

Visually, it is very hard to tell the difference between a 1.3mm and a 1.2mm diamond because the difference in width is so subtle. However, I think based on the CAD renderings that the 1.3mm diamonds on the halo look much more proportionate to the rest of the ring. What do you think?
"

When she is talking about the width I am wanting for the halo, I said if I went with the 1mm, I would want it roughly 1.2-1.3mm wide and if I chose the 1.3mm melee, I would want the halo width to be 1.5-1.6mm. I read on this forum that that is what one of the pave halo experts said was best. So, I guess Ill see what the CAD modeler says on that one, but it looks like the main reason it is smaller is because I had them tuck the halo slightly under the girdle so there would be NO airline. She said the metal was as thin on either side of the 1mm diamonds as they could go and they aren't adding any width to add the fine milgrain to the outside edge, so that may just be the nature of the CAD showing a bit extra metal in that area.

So here is the current CAD with the 1.3mm melee on the halo, and to me, it looks really good as well. I do feel like the diamonds fill up more of the space on this one. Plus, the metal look is a bit less noticeable. The only thing I can say I'm not totally sure about, is the little "lip" it appears to have where the milgrain is.....again, that could just be the CAD and I may be being super picky. What do you guys think???? ( it does seem to have that on both versions though...the 1mm and the 1.3mm)

Sorry for the info overload! Please know how much I appreciate any of you reading this and giving your opinion! :angel: I know I am being picky and its ultimately my preference, but I am so bogged down with all the decisions, that its helpful to get other views from people who actually put some serious thought into jewelry! :love:

Thank you ALL,
cj

9-16-2014_7-48-05_pm20140916075709.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems you are on the right track.
What I love about the last version is that the halo itself is just as dainty as the former version but there is more 'diamond fill'.
I see what you mean when you refer to the 'lip' and I would definitely address this with your designer. Personally I like the look and it is probably more secure. If it bothers you, please adress it with the jeweller.

Love the last CAD's.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I love your diamond, and am so excited to see your ring- it is looking fabulous! I am so not a halo expert, so take it with a grain of salt, but, visually, the last CAD is IT for me. I love the look, the size and tilt of the halo and melee. Love the filigree. And I think you are completely going to have an amazing ring!!!! You are really going to be showing that diamond like the star she is!!! I can't wait.

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Acinom...Thanks again for the feedback! I feel the exact same way about this new 1.3mm halo. It IS just as dainty, but the diamonds fill out this halo wonderfully. I felt the old 1mm was just a tad too small once they tucked it under the main diamond. Don't get me wrong, I want it to hug my diamond but I didn't want to loose the halo in the process. I really think this new CAD is pretty close to perfect. I love everything about it EXCEPT the small blank metal space between the outside of the melee and the milgrain edge. Again, this may be due to it being a CAD, and if so, then I will ok it in a heartbeat! I was told that no extra metal was needed to add the milgrain so it may be that they can just polish the Platinum down to the thinnest possible width, then add the milgrain with no "little space" ! Im hoping that is the case! Also, I totally forgot to say thank you for the filigree thumbs up as well! I was so stressing over that little detail and finally had to think back and realize that I really loved that part about my inspiration ring! So now it resembles it a good bit, but still has a few little changes that are more me!

apacherose...Thank you so much for ALL the positive comments! I too am thrilled with the latest version. It really is just about exactly what I had imagined for myself. I really want it to be perfect! Mainly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my diamond and want it all to just flow to keep the attention on her!! :love: Don't get me wrong, I want everything to be beautiful and drool worthy, but, I think that diamond just shines and I want it to stay that way! And I too can't wait!!

Ill keep you all posted!
cj

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What it is the current status CJ. Has the production on your ring started?

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Hey Acinom...I was coming on here to post an update and here you were! =)

So yes!!! I approved that last CAD after being reassured that the CAD had more metal than the actual ring will. They also need a bit more because as they polish it down small amounts of metal will be removed. So, I feel confident they know exactly what I want. She let me know last night that the wax had begun and that she would be in touch as soon as they were finished. She says it will take about 1 week and then they will mail them to me for approval! Yay I am so excited and ready to get these rings! :appl:

As soon as I hear something I will let you all know! :wavey:

cj

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
CJ-

I have been following your thread, like a crazy person, ad there are so many similar elements I will be incorporating into my design. I'm so thrilled for you!! It looks gorgeous! Loving all of the updates! ! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for updating your thread CJ! This is such an exciting project. It will be a gorgeous ring. I love it that you are so involved in the design process.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ,

I can't wait to see the finished ring. It's going to be spectacular!

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
TruLuv858... Your ring sounds like you had some of the same thoughts that I did when cooking things up! Thank you so much for checking in..I can't wait to see what all you decide as well. I know your's will be fabulous!!

Acinom.... Again, thank YOU for your input! It is extremely exciting for me as well! Though it is taking some time to get it all right, I know I will be thrilled in the end. My designer said she could just post detailed pics of the wax models to my design page, but seeing as how I am a complete detail freak about it all, I don't guess she's surprised that I want them sent to me! It will extend the process, but I NEED to see them before they complete it all! ;)) Oh well, at least I can have a peace about it being just how I want it. Anyways, I love being able to update on here and have people interesting in hearing about it. To most people I know, the details don't really matter! They just want to see the ring when it gets here.

Calliecake... Thank you so much! I can't wait for you and I to see it either!!

Ok....so as soon they are finished she will let me know, and I will have the wax models in hand 3-5 days later. So Ill keep you all posted!!

cj :wavey:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE

Ok....I can hardly type fast enough I'm so excited!!

My designer just sent me an update saying she received my mothers diamonds I sent out on Thursday, and then 1 hour later she emailed again saying she didn't realize it earlier, but they were finished with the wax models of all three rings!! YAY!!!!!! :dance: So she just wanted me to take a minute and make sure I didn't see any modifications that the ER might need before sending them out to me! They look great to me. Basically the CAD in an orange wax. I told her they look good from here and to send them on to me to view in person! Sooo, I thought I would let you all know what was going on and hoping I will get them here by Monday. My husband and I fly out to LA on Friday and return Sunday, so wont that be a wonderful welcome home present! Ok...here are the pics she sent and I'll let you all know when they come in.

Until then,

cj

9-29-2014_4-23-21_pm20140929050940.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That wac model looks great. This is promising CJ!
I hope (and expect) you will love it when you see it in real life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results