shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5ct Tiffany vs 3ct Super Ideal with Tiffany setting

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
I find people of particular cultures, not of US-based background, will ask not only where I got jewelry but how much it cost.

Tiffany likely has unrivaled branding for jewelry in the States, and customer service is fantastic. They fix or replace jewelry, even after several years as long as they can find your piece registered in their system, and the few times they hadn’t gotten something right, they’ve offered me a refund and complimentary gifts. Of course, there’s little that can go wrong with a solitaire.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m from the US and I don’t understand the appeal of Tiffany at all. Too small caret weight for too much money.

Bluevan

Rough_Rock
I feel this forum is very biased and can be very judging to someone who has a different view

As a designer, my gf appreciates design and she prefers to get the authentic design of what she likes (in this case, the Tiffany setting). If she can not find anything that she truly likes we will definitely go the custom route.

Also, It's not about bragging right but as a person who appreciates design she does prefer to get an authentic piece rather than a replica or a setting inspired by a setting that she loves.

If no one likes Tiffany, there wont be so many replicas or settings inspired by Tiffany's that many people here got it themselves

Regarding the centre stone, we are currently working on finding the desired proportion to maximize light return

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel this forum is very biased and can be very judging to someone who has a different view

As a designer, my gf appreciates design and she prefers to get the authentic design of what she likes (in this case, the Tiffany setting). If she can not find anything that she truly likes we will definitely go the custom route.

Also, It's not about bragging right but as a person who appreciates design she does prefer to get an authentic piece rather than a replica or a setting inspired by a setting that she loves.

If no one likes Tiffany, there wont be so many replicas or settings inspired by Tiffany's that many people here got it themselves

Regarding the centre stone, we are currently working on finding the desired proportion to maximize light return

@Bluevan: Sounds like you are going the Tiffany route then. Nothing inherently wrong in doing so. The rest of us were just chiming in and given we are all cut obsessed, that’s the reason why a fair number of us don’t particularly like Tiffany stones compared with super ideals (especially for the price you pay).

I understand your gf’s views as my wife is a bit like that re: handbags (hence why she now has a real Chanel Jumbo Flap rather than one of the many inspired by and imitation/replica bags on the market).

I would suggest that you don’t just accept whatever stone they have already pre-set in a Tiffany setting. If they have multiple 2.5ct rings available, see if they will allow you to have a look at the Tiffany grading reports so that you can end up with a 2.5ct stone that does fall within ideal proportions.

Not all Tiffany & Co stones are cut equally (despite what their marketing says). There are some that would be considered as generic GIA XXX in terms of proportions whereas others would be within the subset of GIA XXX that fall within AGS 000 Ideal proportions. Some may even exhibit hearts and arrows patterning and potentially excellent optical symmetry. And try to get a chance to view whatever T&Co stone you purchase under more diffused lighting rather than their showroom lights.

Wishing you the best of luck with finding one and if both of you eventually decide to go custom if you can’t find the right stone at T&Co, you know where we are. =)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, sorry you felt judged! I think a lot of us just wanted to maximize your budget and thought perhaps a bigger and even better cut stone might be the way to go. And since diamonds don’t have a recognizable brand on them, going with another company might get you the same result or even better. But I definitely agree, get your GF the ring of her dreams!!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been following this thread and just wanted to chime in with my support. She wants Tiffany and you can afford it - absolutely go for it! She will be thrilled and I totally get where she is coming from. There is something very special about a Tiffany ring to a lot of people and getting what might be considered a replica would not sit right with her. Makes total sense to me and there is no way whatsoever either of you will be disappointed! Please come back with photos!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that my posts were rather negative about Tiffany. I want to say that I was not being judgemental of the OP, rather hating to see someone succumb to the hype. As I mentioned before, I have succumded to it myself in the past with jewelry and high end cars, so I get it.
The heart wants what the heart wants. It will be very exciting for her to have Tiffany and I wish them both all the best. The OP sound so caring, she is a lucky woman.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly as @bmfang said. Because you have come to a forum of cut nuts for the best price you will get these kinds of impassioned opinions. The information we share is accurate and useful as you have found. The way it’s delivered, maybe not always in the gentlest manner, and I will admit that I may be guilty of that. So take what is useful and disregard the rest. The good news is that It looks like you’re not throwing the baby out with the bath water so given you’re going with Tiffany at least you’re getting the best cut they can provide. Good luck and we look forward to beautiful hand shots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results