carat
color
clarity

2.5ct Tiffany vs 3ct Super Ideal with Tiffany setting

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tricky one.
To some that blue box and the magic word “Tiffany” is all that matters. The fact that the diamond probably won’t be as greatest or good value for money doesn’t matter.
To some, the size of the diamond is all that matters. The fact that it’s a “low” colour, it’s got noticeable but not “obvious” inclusions and isn’t the greatest “cut” - doesn’t matter.
To some it has to be D and IF and it doesn’t matter to them that the big premium for the “best colour and best Clarity” is something no one can see without reference diamonds for colour comparison and a Loupe!
If she is besotted with a Tiffany ring (the “name and the allure”) and it’s obvious that is her dream ring NOTHING ELSE will do.
The best way to test the water is to say “You know, those Tiffany prices are so high because of the name, you could probably get a bigger diamond for the same money” and gauge her response and go from there.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the input everyone. My gf was torn about this but is now leaning more towards the Tiffany because she feels that a 2.5ct is a size that she would be totally happy with. I am sure a 3 ct from any of the super ideal vendors would be mind blowing but unfortunately we don't live in the US so she can't see the comparison herself.

She has also seen all the other more exclusive brands and whilst she loved the look of many of Harry Winston's rings, none spoke to her like the Tiffany solitaire did.
Congrats on your joint decision to get her the Tiffany diamond ring she really wants. :love:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
What about a 2.5 super ideal and with the savings of ~$20K get:
- an “engagement” purse, like an Hermès or Chanel
- designer jewelry, I.e. Cartier Love bangle and
- some fun shoes?
If name brand is important this could be a good way to get a top quality diamond and the designer names. IMHO seeing someone with all those things would be more impressive than a Tiffany ring.

Omg!!! this is like a perfect plan!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I figure the Tiffany allure must be a US thing - I totally don’t get it. If I were buying a 2.5 carat MRB, it would be the best cut possible, not the best branding.
One of the other issues - to my mind- is that you have to TELL people it’s Tiffany in order to show off, and then you sound as though you are trying to prove something.
On PS, shameless bragging is encouraged and celebrated, but in the real(?) world, it comes off as bourgeois.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To Tiffany's credit, Tiffany has been producing well cut diamonds for a long time even when people were paying less attention to CUT. Their diamonds are more consistently well cut than Cartier and De Beer diamonds; there is no contest. I recently visited a Tiffany store and I was pleasantly surprised. I did not see the report, but I knew it had a slightly high crown and high pavilion combo. Regardless, it was beautiful. Their focus on high color and high clarity kinda worked on me, who is used to a J color diamond. Their diamonds were very clean and clear. My view on Tiffany changed....... until I saw the price tag.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
What about a 2.5 super ideal and with the savings of ~$20K get:
- an “engagement” purse, like an Hermès or Chanel
- designer jewelry, I.e. Cartier Love bangle and
- some fun shoes?
If name brand is important this could be a good way to get a top quality diamond and the designer names. IMHO seeing someone with all those things would be more impressive than a Tiffany ring.

I would use the 20k or so to get some diamond studs with a matching tennis bracelet :kiss2:
Nonetheless, I am glad she will have her dream ring, thats all that matters in the end!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the other issues - to my mind- is that you have to TELL people it’s Tiffany in order to show off, and then you sound as though you are trying to prove something.
On PS, shameless bragging is encouraged and celebrated, but in the real(?) world, it comes off as bourgeois.
Omg. I never even thought of that. What a good point. o_O

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought of it like that but you’re right. No one would know if it was or wasn’t Tiffany unless you tell them. And that does come across as a bit gauche.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was so in love with Tiffany at one point that I wanted to buy stock in the company. My finacial advisor said no, because they are just not that successful. I found that interesting and it kind of took the glow off.
If Tiffany were the best quality I would not be so adamant about looking elsewhere. It seems illogical to me to sacrifice cut to be able to say I made a purchase there. I would rather be wowed by the cut than the brand name. But I do understand what it is like to be in awe of a brand. I’ve been there myself. Lol

For guys, our equivalents of brand name jewellery (Tiffany, VCA, HW, Graff, etc) are cars and/or watches.

I know what that feeling is like as well. I used to be a Swiss watch snob, and it had to mechanical. None of that quartz nonsense. Wanted an Omega Speedmaster for years but settled and bought another Swiss brand instead. Then realised that the vast majority of brands don’t manufacture in house and essentially use movements sourced from one of three or four manufacturers. Only a few manufacture stuff in house and the prices of them are ridiculous.

Then realised that all of the Swiss companies are trying to screw consumers in Australia by inhibiting our rights to get our timepieces serviced at any competent watchmaker. This being done by restricting the supply of spare parts to independent watchmakers to force owners to either sell their pieces on 2nd hand market just before a service is due (meaning that I as a consumer would be up for a service after buying pre-owned) or forcing owners to go back to the brand boutiques and be price gouged on servicing and repairs.

After all that, realised that all of my quartz pieces were far more accurate than my mechanical timepieces and that was why quartz was considered high tech back in the late 1960s. Also realised that I could get far better value out of certain Japanese brands for watches I could wear on a daily basis (both quartz and mechanical) without worrying about them getting beat up. Hell, some of the quartz models would even sync the time with an atomic clock radio tower in Japan (from here in Australia) on occasion meaning that they’d really be far more accurate than any of my mechanical timepieces.

My obsession with Swiss brands died after that. I could appreciate them and the history of Swiss watchmaking without being beholden to the supposed cachet the Swiss brands had over Japanese and Chinese timepiece manufacturers (most of that is due to marketing). And that was when I really learnt what value meant.

Same thing with cars. I used to dream of owning one of the expensive German marques. Now that I am a BMW owner, yes, it does drive better than other cars I have owned. But would I feel comfortable leaving it at the bus or train station car park when I commute to work? Not really. Is it really that much better on our crappy Australian roads? Not really, the ride is harder as the suspension is set up more for European roads.

So our other car (a Toyota) is used for my daily commutes while the Beemer is for when we are travelling as a family. Now I look at value for money for features and after sales service in determining what our next car will be once the Toyota dies. I was considering another Beemer, but it’s only if the price is right and for that to happen, it would likely be a demonstrator car. For the same money (or less) as a base model from a German marque, I could get a top of the range model from one of the Japanese or Korean brands that have been tuned for local Australian roads. That is a brand new vehicle, not a demonstrator. I know what I’m doing next.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For guys, our equivalents of brand name jewellery (Tiffany, VCA, HW, Graff, etc) are cars and/or watches.

I know what that feeling is like as well. I used to be a Swiss watch snob, and it had to mechanical. None of that quartz nonsense. Wanted an Omega Speedmaster for years but settled and bought another Swiss brand instead. Then realised that the vast majority of brands don’t manufacture in house and essentially use movements sourced from one of three or four manufacturers. Only a few manufacture stuff in house and the prices of them are ridiculous.

Then realised that all of the Swiss companies are trying to screw consumers in Australia by inhibiting our rights to get our timepieces serviced at any competent watchmaker. This being done by restricting the supply of spare parts to independent watchmakers to force owners to either sell their pieces on 2nd hand market just before a service is due (meaning that I as a consumer would be up for a service after buying pre-owned) or forcing owners to go back to the brand boutiques and be price gouged on servicing and repairs.

After all that, realised that all of my quartz pieces were far more accurate than my mechanical timepieces and that was why quartz was considered high tech back in the late 1960s. Also realised that I could get far better value out of certain Japanese brands for watches I could wear on a daily basis (both quartz and mechanical) without worrying about them getting beat up. Hell, some of the quartz models would even sync the time with an atomic clock radio tower in Japan (from here in Australia) on occasion meaning that they’d really be far more accurate than any of my mechanical timepieces.

My obsession with Swiss brands died after that. I could appreciate them and the history of Swiss watchmaking without being beholden to the supposed cachet the Swiss brands had over Japanese and Chinese timepiece manufacturers (most of that is due to marketing). And that was when I really learnt what value meant.

Same thing with cars. I used to dream of owning one of the expensive German marques. Now that I am a BMW owner, yes, it does drive better than other cars I have owned. But would I feel comfortable leaving it at the bus or train station car park when I commute to work? Not really. Is it really that much better on our crappy Australian roads? Not really, the ride is harder as the suspension is set up more for European roads.

So our other car (a Toyota) is used for my daily commutes while the Beemer is for when we are travelling as a family. Now I look at value for money for features and after sales service in determining what our next car will be once the Toyota dies. I was considering another Beemer, but it’s only if the price is right and for that to happen, it would likely be a demonstrator car. For the same money (or less) as a base model from a German marque, I could get a top of the range model from one of the Japanese or Korean brands that have been tuned for local Australian roads. That is a brand new vehicle, not a demonstrator. I know what I’m doing next.

We have very similar views on watches and cars. :) I was also a Swiss watch snob when I first started my foray into mechanical watches. I was sold on the history of Swiss horology and the "old-fashioned" watchmaking techniques that I was sure they used. "How could the Japanese compete with the inventors of the mechanical watch?" I thought.

The veil was also lifted for me when I learned that most Swiss watchmakers, with the exception of the Big 3 (which are entirely outside of any price I would pay for a functional tool, which is how I view a watch) pretty much all use Swatch movements, or at least heavily rely on Swatch Group components.

Now, after using quite a few different watches, and owning both Swiss and Japanese watches, I can honestly say that the Japanese blow every Swiss brand within 2-3X their price range entirely out of the water. I now own two Japanese watches, both from Orient (one Orient and one Orient Star) and they are certainly some of the most accurate mechanical watches I've ever used. Both run about +4 sec/day, well within COSC standards. Never going back to Swiss watches again. My new "someday when I have disposable funds for such frivolous purchases" watch is a Grand Seiko Spring Drive. :)

As for cars, I've always been a Toyota or Honda guy (although the South Korean brands are catching my attention now). Why would I pay 2X as much for a car that starts requiring expensive repairs with overpriced German parts around 100,000 miles when I could buy a cheaper vehicle, that accomplishes literally the same task, and will run for 200,000+ miles almost problem-free?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have very similar views on watches and cars. :) I was also a Swiss watch snob when I first started my foray into mechanical watches. I was sold on the history of Swiss horology and the "old-fashioned" watchmaking techniques that I was sure they used. "How could the Japanese compete with the inventors of the mechanical watch?" I thought.

The veil was also lifted for me when I learned that most Swiss watchmakers, with the exception of the Big 3 (which are entirely outside of any price I would pay for a functional tool, which is how I view a watch) pretty much all use Swatch movements, or at least heavily rely on Swatch Group components.

Now, after using quite a few different watches, and owning both Swiss and Japanese watches, I can honestly say that the Japanese blow every Swiss brand within 2-3X their price range entirely out of the water. I now own two Japanese watches, both from Orient (one Orient and one Orient Star) and they are certainly some of the most accurate mechanical watches I've ever used. Both run about +4 sec/day, well within COSC standards. Never going back to Swiss watches again. My new "someday when I have disposable funds for such frivolous purchases" watch is a Grand Seiko Spring Drive. :)

As for cars, I've always been a Toyota or Honda guy (although the South Korean brands are catching my attention now). Why would I pay 2X as much for a car that starts requiring expensive repairs with overpriced German parts around 100,000 miles when I could buy a cheaper vehicle, that accomplishes literally the same task, and will run for 200,000+ miles almost problem-free?

@TreeScientist , I live by my G-Shock’s and cheap Casio’s now as daily wearers. Maybe will grab a Seiko 5 auto or Prospex Padi solar next year if funds allow. Or get my dad’s vintage Seiko Actus with a 7019A movement the prescursor to the current bulletproof 7S26 movements in Seiko 5’s) serviced and brought back into daily wear.

Only time my Swiss mechanical pieces (both current and vintage) come out now is for formal events (weddings) and if I have meetings at work where I am meeting with partners from Big 4 accounting firms (though on occasion I have entirely forgotten and found myself with a Casio G-Shock GW-9400 Rangeman on my wrist at one of those meetings).

Nice to see another Grand Seiko lover on PS. I would not be averse to owning a Grand Seiko 9F quartz diver or a Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT in the future (a battery change on the 9F is something I can do myself and I’d only
send back to Seiko Australia if I really notice that the quartz regulator needs some real work).

The only Swiss watch that has my eye atm is a Longines VHP High-accuracy quartz. But I don’t want to give Swatch Group my money when it comes time to do a minor service and battery change. I know I will get gouged here in Australia if I go back to Swatch Australia and if I take it to a watchmaker who has not worked on this particular ETA HAQ movement, I run the risk of the watch being DOA when it comes back into my hands.

Anyways, I digress enough!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hell, some of the quartz models would even sync the time with an atomic clock radio tower in Japan (from here in Australia) on occasion meaning that they’d really be far more accurate than any of my mechanical timepieces.
Yeah, But does any of your quartz watches look like this on the back side? :P2

DSCN0144.JPG DSCN0711.JPG DSCN0113.JPG

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The Swatch Group is a Swiss company based in Switzerland.
https://www.swatchgroup.com/en

If you want to own a Swiss watch made in-house by the brand stated on the watch face, but don't want to pay for one of the "big three," there are many vintage models available. I buy vintage Swiss watches for their beauty. @Dancing Fire, beautiful watches!

My apologies for the thread jack.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Off topic a bit but I went from my Lexus RX Hybrid to a Kia Niro plug in hybrid and man is the Kia cute and silly and fun to drive. Nothing bad to say about Lexus but I am loving the Kia!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, But does any of your quartz watches look like this on the back side? :P2

DSCN0144.JPG DSCN0711.JPG DSCN0113.JPG

Nice watches. This is the male equivalent of “Ooh, I have a Tiffany/HW/VCA” piece.

But like TreeScientist, I much prefer the finish both dial and movement sides on a GS (regular 28800, hi beat 36000, spring drive and quartz) over what Patek & ALS put out. Especially at the prices GS charge.

Or gimme a vintage Omega 564 in a pie pan Constellation instead of those Patek or ALS pieces. Geneva stripes have no bearing on the performance of a movement (just pretty to look at that’s all).

Unfortunately, even these are becoming ridiculously expensive on the pre-owned market here in Australia (for those that are in good condition, plenty of ones that are in crap condition on fleabay) and maintenance costs for these are going up too as Swatch is restricting supply of spare parts to independent watchmakers which means NOS and used part prices are going through the roof.

If you want to talk art, finish and technical performance, this particular Credor beats the pants off Patek, ALS, VC, Breguet, etc any day:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-seiko-fugaku-limited-edition-tourbillon

9A2161AC-8628-43BA-9021-5CCF982EABC9.jpeg
1D022D80-C540-4B95-AC69-65298EAF69C0.jpeg E09730D6-EF4A-43F2-9357-B73C3B5F1028.jpeg

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to talk art, finish and technical performance, this particular Credor beats the pants off Patek, ALS, VC, Breguet, etc any day:
Very nice, but I'm not into art or blinky watches. :P2

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice watches. This is the male equivalent of “Ooh, I have a Tiffany/HW/VCA” piece.

This is an interesting point, and a good way to get this thread back on track... :mrgreen:

trainn.jpg

If we're trying to come up with the watch brand equivalent of Tiffany, I would not put ALS or Patek in that category. That spot would be reserved for none other than

***drum roll***

Rolex!!!

The similarities are uncanny:
  • Both did some innovative things in their respective industries... You know, like, 100 years ago.
  • Both have stuck more or less with the same tried and true designs that have been their bread and butter, making little innovations along the way and making a giant deal out of these small innovations ("LOOK EVERYONE! WE MADE OUR HAIRSPRINGS OUT OF SILICON! SOMETHING OTHER COMPANIES HAVE BEEN DOING FOR OVER A DECADE, BUT WE DID IT BEST BECAUSE ROLEX").
  • Both offer decent products. Certainly not trash and nothing to scoff at. But nothing that blows the competition out of the water either. Actually, at their price points, you can get much more for your money elsewhere.
  • They are seen as an "I've made it" symbol among the New Money of society.
  • Most people who choose them are, at least to a certain extent, choosing the brand as an easily-recognizable status symbol.
  • Their designs are probably the most copied designs, or the source of "inspiration," of any two brands within any retail sector (which is a good thing I guess. If people want to copy you, then you must be doing something right :) ).
  • They have incredible resale value on the secondhand market (one of the biggest pluses for buying these two brands).

ALS would be more like Hemmerle ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone make a thread about watches that I can follow? Loving the threadjack but I think we could make a nice space for it :)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d probably be laughed at with my daily wearers. :lol: Especially by @Dancing Fire

Yep. Although the thread does have some nice eye candy, my current watches are not allowed. I guess the $2000 cutoff is effective at keeping the thread from being cluttered with those lowly peasant watches... :mrgreen:

Too beyond my price range. :bigsmile:

Only $55.99 @Dancing Fire! And it might even last for a whole week! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/BINSSAW-Tour...8540011&psd=1&keywords=tourbillon+watches+men

ETA please read the product description. OMG it is too much :lol-2:

"Watch function: This is a multi-functional mechanical sports watch, automatic date, automatic month, automatic week, automatic moon phase (allow you to feel daylight and moonlight), automatic time. There is also a tourbillon that turns automatically to give you visual pleasure. This is a watch you are very proud of!"

Wow! Allows you to feel the moonlight!!!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep. Although the thread does have some nice eye candy, my current watches are not allowed. I guess the $2000 cutoff is effective at keeping the thread from being cluttered with those lowly peasant watches... :mrgreen:

Only $55.99 @Dancing Fire! And it might even last for a whole week! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/BINSSAW-Tour...8540011&psd=1&keywords=tourbillon+watches+men

ETA please read the product description. OMG it is too much :lol-2:

"Watch function: This is a multi-functional mechanical sports watch, automatic date, automatic month, automatic week, automatic moon phase (allow you to feel daylight and moonlight), automatic time. There is also a tourbillon that turns automatically to give you visual pleasure. This is a watch you are very proud of!"

Wow! Allows you to feel the moonlight!!!

My most expensive is well above that (wedding anniversary present from my wife, my wife’s anniversary watch is also above that limit) but I can’t be bothered to post it up there.

Let’s just say that my watch has tritium tubes on the dial and hands in place of lume, case is titanium, bracelet is titanium with polished stainless steel links, stainless steel bezel with ceramic bezel insert containing SuperLuminova minute markers, 600m WR, 42mm dial, 3.7mm thick sapphire crystal, 17.3mm thick and inside is a COSC certified 7750.

That Chinese “tourbillion” is hilarious. As is the listing.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
I never thought of it like that but you’re right. No one would know if it was or wasn’t Tiffany unless you tell them. And that does come across as a bit gauche.

Sure, but there ARE family and friends who will (perhaps inappropriately) say things like, OMG is that a Tiffany ring? The wearer might not want to prepare to respond, no it’s a Stuller replica but the diamond is better quality. The opportunities to say, “Yes, it is!” May be what she truly wants.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, but there ARE family and friends who will (perhaps inappropriately) say things like, OMG is that a Tiffany ring? The wearer might not want to prepare to respond, no it’s a Stuller replica but the diamond is better quality. The opportunities to say, “Yes, it is!” May be what she truly wants.
If she’s buying for others to ask, that’s something I don’t understand. It’s probably a cultural thing since I’m not from the US and here Tiffany’s not a thing at all

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results