shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5 with more fire vs 2.62 with more brilliance?

po720

Rough_Rock
Started a new thread as the old subject title didn't really apply to the actual subject anymore :) Yekutiel from IDJ confirmed that the 2.5 had more fire and 2.62 had more brilliance and that both are winners :dance: :dance:

So now, the big challenge: I just have to pick one! Anyone have a vote for one over the other since I have no idea whether more fire or more brilliance is better? lol :shifty:

Both I vs1 with med blue Fluor

2.5 ct at 8.61 x 8.65 x 5.39 mm
57, 62.5, 36, 40.6

Or

2.62 at 8.94 x 8.99 x 5.38 mm
58, 60, 33.5, 40.8

Thank you again for all of the amazing insights and suggestions throughout this process... Mrs. blop, queenie, ac, diamond seeker, msop and anyone I am forgetting off the top of my head bc it's late and I've been reading so many threads, thank you thank you thank you for saving me from a very close call on buying a dud a few weeks ago!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh that's very exciting Yekutiel was able to confirm this!! You're probably going to get a mixed bag of answers. The 2.5 has more fire due to the higher crown angle and will have more colored flashes. The 2.62 will have less of that since the crown angle is 33.5 but will be very bright and white. No right or wrong, just different flavors!

I think I might go with the 2.62 bc that size will just be TDF :love: It's also worth confirming no brown tint on either stone and asking which is a higher I color. :)) I'm anxiously waiting this outcome!

po720

Rough_Rock
Blind test (they sent me pictures without labeling the stones :lol:)

_1354.png

_1355.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did Yekutiel send you a video, too? I personally like fire :lol:
Maybe a side by side video will help you decide which look you prefer!

po720

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1472050861|4069480 said:
Did Yekutiel send you a video, too? I personally like fire :lol:
Maybe a side by side video will help you decide which look you prefer!

No but I am scouring the threads for video of diamonds with more fire vs one with more brilliance... They are both I color so I'm wondering if the fiery one will look as white as the more brilliant one?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be confident in saying the first stone is stone A and the second is stone B. I do really like the cut of stone B, but I'm drawn to stone A bc of how white it looks, which (if it's not a photo effect) is because of the larger table/lower CA. Ahh this is a tough choice!

po720

Rough_Rock
ac117|1472052072|4069492 said:
I'd be confident in saying the first stone is stone A and the second is stone B. I do really like the cut of stone B, but I'm drawn to stone A bc of how white it looks, which (if it's not a photo effect) is because of the larger table/lower CA. Ahh this is a tough choice!

AC, my fairy godmother, your gut is correct! The brighter one is the 2.62 :dance: :dance: (your original pick!!) and the darker one is the 2.5. I'm not sure if it's lighting or not but also when I blow the two pictures up, they both appear "dirty" if that makes sense? like a window that needs to be cleaned :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask Yekutiel to take a side by side video for you... you won't be able to post it on PS, but you can tell us what you observe and what is more pleasing to your eyes.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
My preference would be for fire (colored dispersion). Do post more images, especially if you can get side by side photos!

po720

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1472054830|4069507 said:
Ask Yekutiel to take a side by side video for you... you won't be able to post it on PS, but you can tell us what you observe and what is more pleasing to your eyes.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you before Pintobean, Yekutiel doesn't have these stones, they are overseas with vendors via BN. Yekutiel just compared the specs on the two and told me his thoughts...He will be setting the final stone in the original setting thought (I am so so so so so excited for this part) :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, ok! I vote for the top picture!

po720

Rough_Rock
bluelotus|1472056406|4069519 said:
My preference would be for fire (colored dispersion). Do post more images, especially if you can get side by side photos!

Thank you blue lotus, I called BN back and asked for more pictures :) the rep agreed these two pictures didn't give enough information about lighting, etc.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
po720|1472058133|4069534 said:
bluelotus|1472056406|4069519 said:

Thank you blue lotus, I called BN back and asked for more pictures :) the rep agreed these two pictures didn't give enough information about lighting, etc.

Perfect, I was going to advise the same!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.62 ct huge bright white stone... all day long. :love:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Lighting will matter more for fire vs brilliance.

If they're similar price, get the bigger one.

po720

Rough_Rock
msop04|1472065117|4069585 said:
The 2.62 ct huge bright white stone... all day long. :love:

Thank you msop and teobdl :) I will file these under the "brighter and bigger" side ;-)

So far we have 2 votes for the 2.5 (contingent on side by side pictures to make sure) and 3 for the 2.62 :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell you honestly, if I had an entire virtual inventory of stones, I would not limit myself to these two only. The 2.5 is deeper than it should be and has a crown angle that may result in some leakage, and the other has a crown angle that is a little low. I think you need ASET images, but I don't think BN will do them. I just always use the parameters below which are safer especially when you can't access an ASET image.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

To answer your question, though, I think the 2.6 is a little safer, less likely to have leakage, and faces up a LOT larger than the other stone. If size is a factor for you, I wouldn't consider the one that is too deep.

The brightness in those photos is probably due to photography. The one thing they can't tell is whether one of those stones is a higher I color than the other unless they call them both in (or if they are from the same source who can answer that question). Can you find out if they are at the same location so color can be compared? I'd rather have a high I, closer to H than a low I, closer to J.

po720

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1472093057|4069783 said:
I'll tell you honestly, if I had an entire virtual inventory of stones, I would not sacrifice anything cut wise. The 2.5 is deeper than it should be and has a crown angle that may result in some leakage, and the other has a crown angle that is a little low. Can he get you ASET images on these? I wouldn't buy either one without one. I just always use the parameters below which are safer especially when you can't access an ASET image.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

To answer your question, though, I think the 2.6 is a little safer, less likely to have leakage, and faces up a LOT larger than the other stone. If size is a factor for you, I wouldn't consider the one that is too deep.

DS, thank you so much for the input!! I literally memorized those specs from when you first told me in the last thread :angel: and the 2.62 has everything except for being .5 less than your parameters for the CA (which i remembered you said should be between 34 and 35) but as this particular stone came recommended by a respected PS'er, it was the best stone I had come across to date (thank you forever AC!!!)... I am waiting on the additional images from BN but did return my stones today just to get them off my hands and move this upgrade along so I can move onto the show me the bling portion of this site already ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results