shape
carat
color
clarity

2.088 CER in Sophia Setting (lots of pics)

Rhowie

Rough_Rock
First, the stats for skimmers:
2.088 G VS2
Canera European Round (CER)
8.06 - 8.09 x 5.1 mm
1.26 ctw G VS tapered High Crown French Cut Sides

IMG_9841.jpg

Here is the history of how our ring came to be. It's rather long, so feel free to skip to the pictures. I will be proposing in less than 2 weeks. It will be exciting (I hope) to see her reaction to both the question and the ring.

My story seems to be common on PriceScope. I have spent an enormous number of hours reading and learning over the past 2 years, but have never posted. Now that I have used the information I gathered here to make a selection, I thought I should share it with all the people who have helped me. I have no doubt that the result is far better than if I had attempted to do this in retail-land.

I started by looking through pictures of 1,000+ setting to get ideas. I had not previously spent a lot of time looking at rings, so I didn't have known preferences. My gf was also not the typical PS'er who knew exactly what she wanted. I saved about 50 or so favorite candidates for her to review. We augmented that with some visits to brick & mortar stores. It was interesting that even though there don't seem to be very many in circulation, we both were consistently drawn to tapered shank rings. Our shared favorite settings were 5-stone with trapezoid/bullet sides or a setting with tapered French Cuts.

I guess it is somewhat backwards to some people that we started with settings before the diamond, but that made sense to us. Unfortunately, the settings we liked demanded a fairly large diamond for proper proportions.

Next, we started looking at cut styles. We considered cushions, MRB's and OEC's. Once again, I collected pictures of each on PS and gave them to her for feedback. We decided we liked round, but initially I was most focused on MRB's because Cut was the top priority and H&A diamonds seemed to have that wrapped up. My gf used positive words like "soft" and "not spikey" to describe OEC's which left me conflicted between her preferences and cut quality. PS to the rescue again. I eventually found some threads describing modern cut OEC's. Problem solved. We can get the soft flower-like facet pattern of the OEC with modern cut precision and performance. The only two options for these cuts were August Vintage Round (AVR) and Canera European Round (CER).

That left the final decision to be selecting a jeweler who could put it all together. I read lots of feedback on PS and decided that Victor Canera's collaborative and service-oriented approach was most appealing. The fact that I liked what I saw on PS with his Sophia settings and that he was one of only two providers of modern OEC diamonds, he seemed like the right choice for a one-stop solution.

DSC01772.jpg DSC01775.jpg

The only real drawback to the emerging project was that the selection of modern OEC diamonds is tiny compared to H&A MRB's. Most Sophia settings for round diamonds seemed to be 3+ carats. That was well beyond my budget. Although Victor would not give me a minimum size that would work for the proportions of the Sophia, I proposed his 2.088 ct CER and asked, "can you make this work”? It was smaller than most of his previous Sophia’s with rounds, but he said he was confident that he could do it. I think the final result proves that he was right.

I scheduled a trip to see Victor in LA. I told him that my objective for the ring was different than the "vintage" or "antique" look that most people want from a Sophia, particularly with a CER. My objective was, "A Classic design with modern craftsmanship standards and minimal ornamentation". That meant no mill grain, no engraving, single prongs and of course, a modern cut stone. The design was to be very clean & contemporary despite the classic diamond cuts. Perhaps because we started at the end with choosing a setting before the diamond, this ring is noticeably different than most for OEC's. I am very happy with Victor and the ring he created. I hope she will be too.

Thank you for everyone's help.

_DSC4492.jpg _DSC4503.jpg _DSC4524.jpg _DSC4526.jpg _DSC4541.jpg _DSC4557.jpg _DSC4616-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Rhowie

Rough_Rock
I promised lots of pics, so here are some more I took earlier today.

IMG_9729.jpg IMG_9738.jpg IMG_9749.jpg

The steep crown angle (37%) and small table (49.4%) are part of what I think makes this cut unique.

IMG_9753.jpg

The colors from the CER don't seem real sometimes, but they are. These were taken with outdoor diffused light.

IMG_9770.jpg IMG_9782.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love: Wow! That is a beautiful, STUNNING version of the Sophia, and a G CER. You did an unbelievable job listening and paying attention to your GF and figuring out her preferences and distilling them into this work of art. Congratulations!!!! I cannot wait to see handshots!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah, that is one beautiful ring, what a stunner! Your gf is going to be SO happy, lucky girl!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is exquisite!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaw dropping! I love the cleanness & simplicity of the setting, but those diamonds! Wow! Absolutely excited to hear about the proposal & see hand shots. Congratulations on all your hard work!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so impressed - not by this perfect ring, but also bu your thoughtful ans thorough approach. One can really feel how you put your GF ams her preferences first.
Congratulations!!!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Job well done - I love a planner and a thinker and you are clearly both. Congrats on such a beautiful ring - she is surely going to love it! Please come back with hand shots!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my :love: this is such a beautiful thoughtful significant ring. I can't wait to see handshots and I hope she loves it because you've done a wonderful job creating it.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply Gorgeous :love: She will be thrilled!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my word, that's beautiful! I second the requests for hand shots!

P

PierreBear

What a thoughtful boyfriend and future husband. I appreciate all the background story and the all the careful deliberation that was done to achieve something ya'll both will enjoy for many years to come. Beautiful and please come back with hand shots!! Very exciting times!!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is one incredibly gorgeous ring; well done! :love::love::love: I love the fact that you did a thorough job of researching various options and finding out what resonated most with your GF. :clap: Victor did an amazing job of tailoring the ring to your specifications, and I know your GF will be absolutely thrilled! Please come back and post hand shots!!

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock
So beautiful I can't stand it!
I have had my eye on this ring for if I ever want to go fancier than I already have!

Q

Queenie60

Fabulous ring! Exquisite - lucky lady!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy freakin' smokes!! Another amazing, heart-stopping nugget of utter gorgeousness... I can't even stand it! This is so pretty, I can't imagine she won't be over the moon with it, let alone happy!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is stunning of course but I'm even more impressed at how much thought and work you put into this! Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and gorgeous stone! Please post some hand shots when you propose!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my word.... Actually, there are no words! Not only is it a work of art, but the thought and care and meaning behind EVERYTHING you did is beyond amazing. The stone you chose is GORGEOUS (I can't get over the colors it throws!), the setting tapers up to the PERFECT angle to compliment the center stone, and the overall flow of the design is EXACTLY as you described you'd want it to be. Well done all around!!!!

I can't wait to hear what your girlfriend says and how she reacts to the ring. If she doesn't go weak in the knees I will be shocked - lol.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous! Great combination of CER and french cuts!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how gorgeous!!! :love::love::love: If she doesn't like it I'll take it lol! She will be thrilled, who wouldn't be?!? It's fabulous, you did a fantastic job!

Oecut253

Rough_Rock
Stunning! This is one of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is insanely nice, well done to all involved!

Are you going to have cards that say 'Yes' and 'No' for her to use when you ask her? Because she'll probably be speechless :lol-2: lol

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one INCREDIBLE ring!!! His french cuts are stunning and look delicious with the CER!! :love::love::love: Droooooooool :lickout:

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh wow. That's my fave VC setting and the CER is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this lovely piece!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I look forward to hand pics!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautifully put together!:appl: BTW, I had the pleasure of seeing this stone in person last year so I'm sure she will be impressed!:love:
Please make sure to add your masterpiece to the SMTB Victor Canera thread as well!:wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous piece!!! You have put so much effort and love in this ring... and it shows.

Victor did an amazing job: both the CER as well as the setting are stunning. Those french cut stones are so beautiful. I love those high crowns. I am looking forward to see the handpics of your bride to be.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I die!! Magnificent! Of course Victor can scale it down (!) to fit that stone and make it look perfect. You did an outstanding job of research and follow through! :clap: Can't wait to see it on her finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results