shape
carat
color
clarity

2.00 ct F/SI1 Cushion - Is this a good stone?!? (SEE PICS) !

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
rb23lb said:
CharmyPoo|1330666092|3138964 said:
Here is my diamond: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6267/

It is shallow but wonderfully cut with awesome performance. Reason ... Jon knows what he is doing. There are other dimensions (ie. girdle) that allows the diamond to perform well even with it being shallow. I like it because it faces up big and performs just as well as his other AVCs.

Please do share who quoted you on the setting. Awesome price.

very nice stone! I dont think that is too shallow at all, I think that is ideal.... wow... let me guess, at least $15,000 for the stone?

does the large culet make it an "old mine" style stone?

I think it's mostly the 4 mains style of cutting in addition to the open culet that make it antique cut. I could be wrong though!
Similar stones on GOG are about $25k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8211/
I don't know what Charmy paid and I don't think it matters bcuz prices are what they are today (plus I think it's rude to ask, kind of like asking how much money do you make)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 2.00 ct F/SI1 Cushion - Is this a good stone?!? (SEE PIC

E VS1 is going to be a lot more than E VS2, too. Charmy is very fortunate if she bought that diamond before 2011. It certainly is gorgeous! :love:

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

SweetAsscher|1330714417|3139323 said:
rb23lb said:

It is shallow but wonderfully cut with awesome performance. Reason ... Jon knows what he is doing. There are other dimensions (ie. girdle) that allows the diamond to perform well even with it being shallow. I like it because it faces up big and performs just as well as his other AVCs.

very nice stone! I dont think that is too shallow at all, I think that is ideal.... wow... let me guess, at least $15,000 for the stone?

I think it's mostly the 4 mains style of cutting in addition to the open culet that make it antique cut. I could be wrong though!
I don't know what Charmy paid and I don't think it matters bcuz prices are what they are today (plus I think it's rude to ask, kind of like asking how much money do you make)

you guys asked me to post price of the stone on the first page.... I posted it... so i dont think its a rude request at all, actually :tongue:

I am new here, but thought pricescope was all about being 100% open and full transparencey and disclosure

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

:love:
diamondseeker2006|1330718270|3139390 said:
E VS1 is going to be a lot more than E VS2, too. Charmy is very fortunate if she bought that diamond before 2011. It certainly is gorgeous! :love:
:love:

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
rb23lb said:
rb23lb said:

you guys asked me to post price of the stone on the first page.... I posted it... so i dont think its a rude request at all, actually :tongue:

I am new here, but thought pricescope was all about being 100% open and full transparencey and disclosure

Just *my* personal views on it.
It's different when you come here to ask if you are getting a deal bcuz we can't help you without all the information.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

SweetAsscher|1330721375|3139432 said:
rb23lb said:
rb23lb said:

Just *my* personal views on it.
It's different when you come here to ask if you are getting a deal bcuz we can't help you without all the information.

touché :naughty:

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

OK- So the stone is back into the jeweler now and I will pick it up tomorrow... Unfortunately though, for whatever reason, AGS would not do a Cut/light analysis on the stone and only ended up doing a diamond quality report and not the platinum diamond quality report... I think this must be because of the fact it is not a traditional cushion shape and is more of a modified cushion shape?

Anyway, as far as the Polish and Symmetry results:

EGL-International: Excellent Polish / Excellent Symmetry
AGS: Very Good Polish / Good Symmetry

I will post the document tomorrow once I get it when I pick it up for reference....

But since I unfortunately could not get the platinum report with cut grade, do you recommend I buy an idealoscope now at this point (link please to where to buy)?

And is anybody here able to determine if yet if $11,500 is a fair price? Not a deal... but a fair price?

The appraisal came back at $15,000 Replacement value... Again, I will be picking it up tomorrow and posting along with AGS cert....

Obviously I am ok with the AGS stats and the look to the naked eye... But just want to make sure I am not getting ripped off before finally committing.... But I am guessing the advice will be to still get an idealascope... right?

Thanks!
RB

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

If you like the way it looks, I do not think you need an Idealscope or ASET. The price seems fair. I think you found you diamond and you can now buy it with confidence. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would get an Idealscope. That's 11.5K you are spending. Yes, to me that is worthwhile. Very educational thread this has turned out to be.

Fair price? It seems to be. Would I buy it? Well I wear a diamond on my hand, not a certificate. So if it performs well, yes I'd buy it. It's a modern cushion. Performance is the key.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

thanks Gypsy... which set on the ideal scope website do you recommend for these purposes? I took a look but there are many different combinations of products you can purchase and i dont want to buy more than I need....

Can you link me to which package you think is best just to get a gauge on the performance? I appreciate all your help

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rb23lb|1331014690|3141618 said:
thanks Gypsy... which set on the ideal scope website do you recommend for these purposes? I took a look but there are many different combinations of products you can purchase and i dont want to buy more than I need....

Can you link me to which package you think is best just to get a gauge on the performance? I appreciate all your help

Sorry, sorry, sorry. NOT IDEALSCOPE. I typed that wrong. I was trying to say ASET. IDEALSCOPE is ONLY good for ROUNDS.

ASET is what you need. And I recommend this one, the hand held. Also this link is great cause it shows you what to look for. Okay.

http://www.lexusindia.in/products/gb-aset-scope.aspx

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

rb23lb|1330986504|3141347 said:
OK- So the stone is back into the jeweler now and I will pick it up tomorrow... Unfortunately though, for whatever reason, AGS would not do a Cut/light analysis on the stone and only ended up doing a diamond quality report and not the platinum diamond quality report... I think this must be because of the fact it is not a traditional cushion shape and is more of a modified cushion shape?

Would you mind uploading the AGS report? I'm interested to see what the cushion DQD looks like. According to the AGS website, they still have a cut grade (top right corner) on the round stones... Wondering what they do for cushions:

http://agslab.com/products-diamond-quality-document.php

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

rb23lb|1330986504|3141347 said:

Poster: **edited by moderator. this poster is not welcome on the forum for continuously violating our policies**

You mentioned that the stone had to be sent to AGS by the seller correct? I have no idea if this is how things work, but from the above statements, one could conclude that the seller knew the light performance would not be great so didn't want it on the certificate. An AGS certificate without light conformance would be more valuable than an AGS certificate showing poor light performance IMO. The seller could exploit AGS' great reputation by saying "this is a great stone, it was graded by AGS." If it were me buying the stone, the next question would be "then why wasn't the light performance included in the report."

The answer is probably as the new dark-horse member CLL suggests, "you though you may not like the results of highlighting your stone's performance flaws."

What you do from here is buy an ASET, as was suggested pages ago. Even if this isn't the stone for you, you'll be better prepared to evaluate other cushions without having to send them off to AGS to be graded...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

marygrace|1331044930|3141776 said:
CHUNKYCUSHIONL0VER|1331015486|3141623 said:
5) If you really want to know how your stone compares to other cushions I suggest getting an ASET. I caution you though you may not like the results of highlighting your stone's performance flaws. if you were looking for edge to edge brightness this cutting style and proportions rarely shows strong performance in brightness which is what ASET is a proxy for measuring.

This is why I am not recommending getting an ASET. Since you and your girlfriend like this diamond and it is a fair price, I do not see any reason to highlight possible "flaws". It seems to have been cut to keep the carat size ( which you wanted ). Its ASET will not look like a 2-ct $30,000 AV Cushion. So what? You like it. She likes it. I don't want you to see it as anything less than perfect.

Honestly, are you kidding? The man is spending $12000. He should do so with all available information and knowing exactly what compromoses he is making to keep the weight. I also think he should compare, in person, this cushion to others of the same price with a different balance of the four Cs so that he is sure this is what he wants. It would be a shame if later on, they meet someone with a smaller more sparkly diamond and regret their choice.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I am confused as to why you did not get the AGS platinum report which has the light performance map. AGS issues several types of reports and I believe the jeweler can request which one??

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

what happened to CLL's post? it was well thought out and informative... It seems to have disappeared (well except for the partial parts that were quoted)...

slg47

Ideal_Rock

sna77|1331052851|3141849 said:
what happened to CLL's post? it was well thought out and informative... It seems to have disappeared (well except for the partial parts that were quoted)...

CCL has been banned from PS several times but keeps coming back.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1331052412|3141842 said:
marygrace|1331044930|3141776 said:
[quote=" **edited by moderator. this poster is not welcome on the forum for continuously violating our policies**]
[/quote][/quote]

Ya I was doing exactly this for about 5 weeks in person in downtown Los Angeles, checking out multiple stones... Only the problem was that I couldn't take this stone I liked from one vendor and compare face to face with another stone I liked at another vendor... And cushions are so damn hard to compare and they are very popular and all the top vendors down there didn't have much on hand to look from....

After 5 weeks of ripping my hair out due to the lack of availability of cushions on the market and so hard to compare one to the other when u dont have them all in front of you... I came back to this one and tracked down the stone owner and talked him down $1,500 to $11,500 down from $13,000 that it was on marker at a different jewler.... and took him up on his 45 day return policy... and thats where I am now... yes I could probably find something out there better... but i dont have 6 months to do it unfortunately... thats why I got the AGS so once I verified its a fair price I could have a legit paper to trade up later just in case

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh good lord. Here we go again. CCL is the victim!

My aunt fanny. He wasn't banned for his 'challenging insights'... he was banned because he's a psycho who actually threatened the owners of this forum, the moderators, AND it's members with ACTUAL physical harm.

Once again people. He's CRAZY. Obsessed. And ABUSIVE. And REFUSES to understand that A) his banning is because of the threats that scared the CRAP out of people because he said he had some of the real names of people and that he would follow through with his threats AND B) this isn't a PUBLIC FORUM, it's a private one and when the ownership sets house rules you have to follow them, and even if you think you are 'smarter', 'better', or 'more knowledgeable' than the owners it's IRRELEVANT because it's NOT YOUR HOUSE.

Yes, he's got a lot of knowledge. Which is why the moderators gave him warning after warning and TRIED to keep him here. But again, he is an UNBALANCED OBSESSIVE ABUSIVE PSYCHO who NEVER apologized, kept getting worse and worse and threatened physical violence. So yes, they banned him. GO FIGURE! :rolleyes:

He's NOTHING like Karl. WHO WAS NEVER BANNED by THIS ownership. And CCL refuses to see reality and instead uses these lies to gain sympathy from ignorant newer members: Just. Like. YOU Sna!

He's LYING to you. And making himself the victim, when the true victims are this boards ownership who (as aptly demonstrated by his ENTITLED refusal to stop posting) are still STALKED by this lunatic and who he won't LEAVE ALONE. Even though again, since it is a private forum he HAS NO RIGHT TO BE HERE.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy, politics aside he wasn't hostile or psychotic in this thread, he was helpful. I'm not sure what situation provoked those behaviors from him in the past, and even if i'm not looking at cushions it was good information to share.

and to rlb, as a silent observer in this thread and someone who is also looking at 2 ct stones for her future engagement ring :Up_to_something: (as in not a professional, but as a consumer), i'd rather an 1.8 that faces up like a 2 ct vs. a 2 ct that faces up like a 1.8. No one will ask me in the future the carat size, they'll notice how much of my finger it takes up and make their own assumptions. I'd also personally like a sparkly ring because i've seen the difference between similar carats and their light performance - i stare at the sparkly one more ;-) .

I'm sure she will love anything you get her, however, and congratulations on finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with :). Good luck! I can't wait to see what you decide one.

p.s. is there a forum user who is as knowledgeable as CCL for rounds? ...just in case I want to stalk their posts... just putting that out there

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

nicstx|1331078123|3142267 said:
Gypsy, politics aside he wasn't hostile or psychotic in this thread, he was helpful. I'm not sure what situation provoked those behaviors from him in the past, and even if i'm not looking at cushions it was good information to share.

IRRELEVANT. He has NO RIGHT to post ANYTHING because it is a private forum that the owners have banned him from. Just because he behaves in one thread doesn't give him the RIGHT to post here. It's THEIR HOUSE and he has NO RIGHT TO BE HERE.

IF THIS WAS A TRUE HOUSE, with walls. REAL WALLS. If it was YOUR HOUSE. Would it be relevant that his conversation was helpful if he BROKE IN, and helped himself to your couch? NO. It wouldn't. All that matters is HE BROKE IN. YOUR HOME IS VIOLATED BY HIM. AND HE HAD NO RIGHT, regardless of having information to share to BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE.

Get it?

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

and to rlb, as a silent observer in this thread and someone who is also looking at 2 ct stones for her future engagement ring :Up_to_something: (as in not a professional, but as a consumer), i'd rather an 1.8 that faces up like a 2 ct vs. a 2 ct that faces up like a 1.8. No one will ask me in the future the carat size, they'll notice how much of my finger it takes up and make their own assumptions. I'd also personally like a sparkly ring because i've seen the difference between similar carats and their light performance - i stare at the sparkly one more ;-) .

I'm sure she will love anything you get her, however, and congratulations on finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with :). Good luck! I can't wait to see what you decide one.

p.s. is there a forum user who is as knowledgeable as CCL for rounds? ...just in case I want to stalk their posts... just putting that out there

thanks for the comments... again, 1.8s that face up like 2's are hard to find... and not saying this is ideal cut by any means, but the AGS August vintage Ideal cushions all are at least 68% deep from what I have seen... which means they will also face up close to "1.8"....

rounds face up bigger than cushions also of course

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

We apologize for the intrusion of a previously banned member from the forum. We have few policies here and expect them to be followed. Those that do not follow them repeatedly will be asked to leave, as this member was. It is rare that we do this, but it is important to maintain the tone of the forum.

Please return to the topic at hand in the thread and stay away from personal insults.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to email us directly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Plenty of people on here can help you with rounds. Those are the easiest of all to choose! Just post your own thread when you are ready to purchase and we will recommend some!

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

As Promised.....Here is the Actual Certificate I just picked up... :appl:

Here are the differences in the last few details between EGL-International and AGS that I haven't mentioned yet:

Diamond dimensions (Slightly Bigger on AGS!): 7.70x6.94x4.71 AGS vs 7.66x6.91x4.71 EGL-INT

Weight: 2.004 AGS vs 2.00 EGL-INT

Total Depth: 67.8% AGS vs 68% EGL-INT

Table: 61.5% AGS vs 60% EGL-INT

Girdle: Very Thin-Very Thick, faceted AGS vs Thin, faceted EGL-INT

Culet: Pointed AGS vs None EGL-INT

Fluorescence: Negligible AGS vs None EGL-INT

Graining: Not listed AGS vs None EGL-INT

Slightly different Facet Plotting thickness between the two...

Got there right before they closed at 2:30 so they didn't have time to do an ASET for me... ( :angryfire: )...

Oh well, I am just gonna go with it anyway since I just need to get this damn thing built and get engaged already! (

So now that I have the real paper on this thing.... If we want to trade up in like 5-7 years.... what is the best way about going about this? I probably won't be in the los angeles area anymore so I won't be going back to the person I bought it from to trade up.... Is there a preferred online source that buys AGS diamonds? just good to know for future reference what the best market for this certificate is and what would be the best way to upgrade :?:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

WOW. Can I request you start a new thread entitled "EGL versus AGS: my journey" and do a quick synopsis of your journey (cushion hunting in person, found one with an EGL certificate and sent to AGS and list all the differences). It would make it a very good educational tool for us to link to and wouldn't be 5 pages long like this post has been, so newbies might actually read it.

Plus, it's just amazing how the differences are ALL the way through the lab reports, not just color and clarity.

Also mention how the 4 main cushion didn't quality for the performance grading.

(Sorry Ella)

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

:idea: Here is the AGS certification, as promised: :idea:

Attachments

• AGS Report.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 96

onedrop

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Gypsy, there should be a separate thread (if feasible) on the differences between the AGS and EGL reports. One of the biggest discrepancies to me is the fact that AGS notes a pointed culet and EGL-INT says "none" re: the culet. That seems really odd to me. Either there is a culet or there isn't. Seems like that would be easy to determine. And wouldn't that be important to know for a cushion? Or maybe this discrepancy is common?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

onedrop|1331086729|3142402 said:
I agree with Gypsy, there should be a separate thread (if feasible) on the differences between the AGS and EGL reports. One of the biggest discrepancies to me is the fact that AGS notes a pointed culet and EGL-INT says "none" re: the culet. That seems really odd to me. Either there is a culet or there isn't. Seems like that would be easy to determine. And wouldn't that be important to know for a cushion? Or maybe this discrepancy is common?

Pointed and none mean the same thing (as opposed to an OEC which has a facet cut at the culet).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rb23lb|1331082861|3142329 said:
So now that I have the real paper on this thing.... If we want to trade up in like 5-7 years.... what is the best way about going about this? I probably won't be in the los angeles area anymore so I won't be going back to the person I bought it from to trade up.... Is there a preferred online source that buys AGS diamonds? just good to know for future reference what the best market for this certificate is and what would be the best way to upgrade :?:

The best way to upgrade is to pick a stone that qualifies for an upgrade from a vendor that has an upgrade policy.

If you want to upgrade, this it not the stone for you.

Here's how upgrading works :

You buy from a vendor that allows upgrades.

You buy a stone that is attractive to MANY people. So you stay away from anything with inclusions that may not be eye visible, for example. Because most people don't want stones with visible inclusions. So even if they sold it to YOU in the first place, the vendor isn't going to want it BACK in their stable of horses because he might not ever sell it to anyone else.

You buy a stone with excellent performance. This means the vendor will want it back because it will be easier for him to sell again.

And you understand that you might have to spend double (James Allen or Tiffany) at that vendor in order to qualify for an upgrade.

With many vendors you don't have to spend double: GOG, WF, BGD... but those vendors have MUCH stricter criteria for which stones are going to qualify for an upgrade.

The best person to get an upgrade from is your original vendor. Get it in writing. Make sure there is no end date. Make sure you understand how much more you have to spend to qualify. And make sure they don't put in stupid rules: like saying you have to get it inspected BY THEM every 6 months to qualify.

Trade ups are upgrades. Again, same rules.

Buy backs are different and usually buy back policies are around 70% of your original purchase.

Reselling your diamond, you can expect 50%-70% of the original price. Again the better the stone performs, the prettier and more desirable it is, the better the chance of an upgrade.

I don't know of any vendor that would buy this stone from you, or who would give you back your purchase price as credit toward a future purchase. So, again, your best bet is your original vendor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results