shape
carat
color
clarity

2.00 ct F/SI1 Cushion - Is this a good stone?!? (SEE PICS) !

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

I am new here and looking for a 2 ct cushion for my girlfriend to propose too!

I started knowing very little about diamonds, but know now she wants a cushion!

This is one I have found that I really liked, but am not sure if I should pull the trigger or not...

I posted the certificate... And I posted another 1.97 ct right that is right next to it...

Guess which one is the one in the cert!

And please help me determine if the cert is good or if there are any concerns with the quality and measurements!

Thanks in advance for your help! It is very much appreciated!

RB

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: 2.00 ct F/SI1 Cushion - Is this a good stone?!? (SEE PIC

Hard to read the cert but does that say it had a depth of 68%? You can't judge cushions by numbers alone. What is the price?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

We need more photos to help you. Please don't make us guess which diamond is which ;))

Please share the price.

EGL is not a lab I recommend because it is usually poor value for consumers.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock

Did you see it or had it inspected by someone you trust? I wouldn't buy a SI stone graded by EGL whithout seeing it or having the opinion of a trustworthy gemmologist/appraiser, especially on such a large stone, but that's just me...

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

ok, the one I like and posted the cert of is the top one!

Price: $11,500

yes, i have seen it in person, the SI1 is just one singular inclusion in the middle... it is about a mm long and is clear and can only be seen from close up... so I think it is a pretty good SI1...

I really like the look of it... probably a pretty accurate F but maybe a GIA G at worse...

total depth 68.1%
table width 60%
crown height 13%
pavillion depth 54%
girdle: thin, faceted
Polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
cutlet: none
graining: nil
flourenscence: none

all you experts out there, I am a noob looking for some help... does anything concern you about this stone???

thanks again in advance! much appreciative of any wisdom and insight before I make one of the biggest purchases in my life!
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

oh and forgot!

Dimensions are 7.66 x 6.91x 4.71 and just slightly off from perfect square with 1 : 1.1 ratio

all you pros out there, please tell me if $11500 is a good deal and if you have any concerns about any of the specs I listed on the stone...

thanks so much i greatly appreciate your insight

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

rb23lb|1328639234|3120957 said:
yes, i have seen it in person, the SI1 is just one singular inclusion in the middle... it is about a mm long and is clear and can only be seen from close up... :

A visible inclusion might bother her.

A 1.1 ratio is not close to a perfect square. Squares have ratios of 1.00-1.05.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Go with a stone certed by GIA or AGS and you'll have an accurately graded stone and you'll find it much easier to find an SI1 that is COMPLETELY eye clean. I would not waste my money on the false economy of an EGL diamond. I would start over.

ETA: Your budget is much too low for what you are looking for. Sorry, but something has to give, and I would not have it be the cert that gives.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

thank you for all your replys....

However, certificate aside... looking at just the stone and assuming it is probably a grade lower color and a grade lower clarity if you use GIA standards...

Do you think the $11,500 price is a good deal or not? I just want a price opinion for the stone itself...

Also... nobody gave me any opinions on the percentanges and non color/clarity measurements that are not subjective and are an exact measurement.... Are those ok for a cushion?

Thanks!

RB

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Mrssalvo gave you an answer on the numbers - you can't judge a cushion on numbers alone. Unfortunately, they're a more subjective kind of stone.

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

rb23lb|1328910892|3123512 said:

However, certificate aside... looking at just the stone and assuming it is probably a grade lower color and a grade lower clarity if you use GIA standards...

Do you think the $11,500 price is a good deal or not? I just want a price opinion for the stone itself...

Also... nobody gave me any opinions on the percentanges and non color/clarity measurements that are not subjective and are an exact measurement.... Are those ok for a cushion?

Thanks!

RB

I wish I could answer your question. Without an ASET, Idealscope, and a picture of its loupe, it's really hard to tell. If you are working with a local vendor, you should be able to get them. Post them here for opinions. There is no cut grade with EGL, or for cushions with GIA for that matter. It comes down to evaluating the pictures.

The inclusion concerns me. If you can see it, she definitely will. She may not like it. Find out her preferences.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

You cannot put aside the lab report when considering the value of this stone.

There is a search tool you can use up top to see the price of cushions of these specs with EGL reports. That is the best we can do with the information you have provided!

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328917146|3123608 said:

There is a search tool you can use up top to see the price of cushions of these specs with EGL reports. That is the best we can do with the information you have provided!

I found an EGL cushion with similar specs for $7978. Some were under $10,0000. Others were in the $11,000-16,000 range.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

link please?

If it is equal color clarity and close in size and doesnt have ridiculous dimensions... I am in!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

rb23lb|1328910892|3123512 said:

Thanks!

RB

i kinda feel like you are waiting for someone to justify your EGL stone, and ignoring the advice that every person on here is saying. to see if its a good value, start pricing out GIA stones that are similar size in an H / SI2 and lower... The cost is probably the same...

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

Not justify.... all I really wanted was someone to comment on the dimensions to see if they are good dimentions and percentages on paper... since I know at least there is some good range that cushions fall in... but nobody commented on that... they just couldnt get past the EGL part it seems...?

one thing I am not to sure about is the pavillion depth... everywhere I researched I could not find a "safe" range for cushions to fall in... can any of you elaborate please on pavillion depth?

thanks
RB

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

marygrace|1328917918|3123617 said:
Dreamer_D|1328917146|3123608 said:

I found an EGL cushion with similar specs for $7978. Some were under $10,0000. Others were in the $11,000-16,000 range.

Not sure what specs you were using...but when I searched above using a 2 category EGL to GIA downgrade, this is all I got:

2.00 G SI2 61.8% 61% GIA Excellent VG X N N 7.74x7.04x4.35 $12358
2.00 G SI2 61.8% 61% GIA VG X N N 7.74x7.04x4.35 $12502
2.02 H SI1 60.8% 53% GIA VG X N N 7.70x6.91x4.20 $13877

So looks like the EGL I reference above could be a good price... were you using 3 or 4 grades down in your search????

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

We can't tell enough about the cushions you posted from the one picture. There really isn't any number system to follow for cushions like there is for rounds. We need an aset on the stones and can't really tell you if the price is a good deal without that info. I wouldn't want a stone with a visible inclusion either. I have eye clean SI2 cushion so I know they do exist. If EGL is grading it an SI 1 it's most likely a GIA SI2 or even an I1.

I did a search using 2carat, I-J and SI 2-I1 and the pricing was 8-10k so yeah, that stone is probably a bit overpriced based on just the info you gave us. One way you can know for sure is to make the sale contingent on an independent appraisal and take it to someone who doesn't buy or sell jewelry and have it appraised. They can tell you fair market pricing.

Oh and for me personally I prefer a smaller table In a cushion, but that is just a preference and since you have the advantage of seeing it in person than what you see is what matters :))

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

rb23lb|1328958693|3123905 said:
they just couldnt get past the EGL part it seems...?

Here's an example of an EGL stone from a recent thread:

bored waiting for the WF pics to come in, so I've been surfing around at random EGL stones.

2.7 ct D VS2 for $30k and a 0.7 on the HCA. Ha, I mean even if its an F / SI1, that's pretty good. ;))

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=103403464&flag=ps
http://www.abazias.com/certtemp/103403464.jpg

And the response from the vendor when the member inquired about the stone:

twinkie_transformer|1328560320|3120291 said:
So they got back to me:

------
Hello [twinkie],
Thank you for contacting Abazias. Stock number 103403464--2.76ct round D VS2 EGL is available but will not be a GIA F/SI1 or better. All diamonds are priced according to their true qualities and this diamond is priced like a G color, SI2 clarity stone. The diamond cutter also said it has a mild haze which is accounted for in the price. Some EGL certified stones will be only two grades lower in color and one grade lower in clarity in comparison to what has been reported on the certifcate but price will be the biggest indicator of quality. If the price of the EGL diamond is lower than a comparable weight GIA stone of F color, SI1 clarity you can anticipate the color and clarity to be even lower than average for EGL. EGL is unfortunately very inconsistent with their grading. Please contact me with any questions or if you need further assistance with your search.
Thanks again and I look forward to working with you.
Sincerely,
Katie.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

thank you for the additional info... it has excellent cut and excellent symmetry, maybe that is why it is priced more?

-also, how do you feel about a thin girdle?

-and also, can this stone still be idependently appraised after it is set in a halo setting?

Only reason I am leaning towards this EGL stone still is that I have seen it in person with my lady and she liked it alot and commented on the cut was preferred... and I saw it from a trusted vendor I know other friends have used... which then gives me more confidence that i will get one she likes...

also, can anyone look at the cert and tell me what type of cut this is (old fashioned/crushed ice, etc)?
thanks again for all the help :)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I think that EGL excellent cut does not hold much water considering I was looking at an EGL excellent cut Hearts and Arrows stone and it was actually VERY far from hearts and arrows.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't think folks know exactly how to answer your questions any more clearly. There just isn't a good rule of thumb or number guide line for cushions. You should definitely have it appraised before it's set and by someone who is independent, meaning they don't buy or sell diamonds. Eyes will always trump paper but I would suggest you take a look at some other cushions or the video's on GOG's website so you can educate yourself on what to look for and what you and your gf like in terms of performance.

The link above on cushions should help give you some general guidelines as to the number ranges to look for in order to get a certain look in a cushion but are by no means an exact science. We can't tell anything about your cushion from the pictures you posted. You really need to get an aset in the very least which will help identify if there is leakage and where.

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

rb23lb|1329156750|3125428 said:
marygrace|1329095879|3125005 said:
Here is a link for cushion info.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/cushion-cut-diamond/

She likes the diamond, most importantly.

thank you again, but that answers none of my three above questions about pavillion depth %, girdle, and appraisability after its set... :confused:

There are no guidelines for depth, crown, girdle, etc. for cushions. You must judge on light performance, ASETs, and magnified images. In a way, you need to be the expert. If you were looking for a round brilliant, this would be way easier. RBs have cut grades. Cushions, sadly, typically do not.

Go on YouTube and look up DiamondInfoMan. He gives great information.

Well, here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan/search?query=Cushion

I completely understand that you want good value. I hope this hels.

CushionRock2012

Rough_Rock

PAVILLION DEPTH?

GIRDLE?

COMMENTS?

THANKS!

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

rb23lb|1329348695|3127015 said:
PAVILLION DEPTH?

GIRDLE?

COMMENTS?

THANKS!

Did you watch the video? Pavilion, depth, table, etc. are pretty useless for judging the quality of a cushion cut. Jonathon lines up 6 cushions with similar specs and they all look different, some pretty bad.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

rb23lb|1329348695|3127015 said:
PAVILLION DEPTH?

GIRDLE?

COMMENTS?

THANKS!

I'm going to try one more time to explain. The numbers on cushion don't tell us anything. Girdle is fine. Please have it appraised independently to verify the EGL grading so you can know you are paying a fair price. You have seen it, we haven't, we need an ASET to help further.

Personally, would not buy and EGL cushion but again, you have seen it and if your eyes like it and you verify the pricing then that is all that matters.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

oyyy

facepalm.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results